Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CapnAndy posted:

Blame is going to get portioned out very carefully and I imagine we'll get more answers next week, but I expect the answer to be somewhere along the following: Wanda took Vision's corpse back justifiably, as SWORD were being dicks and experimenting on him in an attenpt to build more against his express wishes. She took the body off somewhere and attempted to bring him back, possibly by creating a little pocket reality where they could be together. Agatha hijacked it, turning it into the Hex and overwriting Westview. Wanda woke up to the nature of her new reality quicker than anyone else, but rather than attempt to escape or stop it, selfishly decided to take advantage. Since then, it's been an unconcious duel of wills, as Wanda tried to surf the wave to get everything she's ever wanted, and Agatha tried... whatever it is she wants that she's been doing all of this for.

That'll be her defining sin coming out of this, that she had the opportunity to do the right thing, and (perhaps understandably, but still wrongly) chose to live an idealized life with the man she loved instead. Wanda handled her grief badly and it led her to make some really wrong choices, but she still stays on this side of the "created Ultron" line of Heroes Doing Bad Things.

The problem is, complex apportioning of blame doesn't mean that much when the climax of the show is going to involve our hero defeating a literal evil witch. The actual morality in that case is quite clear. Evil witch bad, person fighting the evil witch good. You can extra dialogue about how Wanda herself also did bad things yada yada yada, who cares, she defeated the evil witch, she can still be an Avenger, it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanda killed a bunch of civilians during a deeply illegal black ops assassination mission and everyone still calls Iron Man the bad guy there so I think she will escape this one fine.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Gripweed posted:

The problem is, complex apportioning of blame doesn't mean that much when the climax of the show is going to involve our hero defeating a literal evil witch. The actual morality in that case is quite clear. Evil witch bad, person fighting the evil witch good. You can extra dialogue about how Wanda herself also did bad things yada yada yada, who cares, she defeated the evil witch, she can still be an Avenger, it's all good.

Where did you watch the last two episodes? I'd like to see them as well.

No but honestly folks, this post is staggering. I'm making up what I know is going to happen, calling the morality of said event that hasn't happened black and white, and handwaving away any attempt by the show to demonstrate any apportioning of blame.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 20, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, plenty of superhero characters have grey areas in their past that aren't fully absolved. Wolverine, Black Widow, the Winter Soldier, to name just a few. Hell, one of my low-key favourite moments in the Civil War movie is Cap trying to absolve Bucky of his actions working for Hydra, and Bucky just kind of gently says "I still did it", acknowledging that the context doesn't completely rid him of guilt.

EDIT: This week's mid-credit stinger: I think the idea's Monica is gonna see something notable about "Pietro" next week, because it cuts right as she looks at him with the blue Spectrum effect on her eyes, which we saw earlier seems to be her being able to see the EM spectrum.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 20, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On a certain level, I don't wanna* be that guy and I guess it sucks to be really anticipating something from a story and not get it..........but it's really not as if the signs weren't there and we hadn't even been warning that this was probably gonna happen. :v:

*debatable

Gaz-L posted:

EDIT: This week's mid-credit stinger: I think the idea's Monica is gonna see something notable about "Pietro" next week, because it cuts right as she looks at him with the blue Spectrum effect on her eyes, which we saw earlier seems to be her being able to see the EM spectrum.
I think that's supposed to be Agatha's purple eyes mind-control effect? Too many people have glowing eyes on this show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, it's definitely the blue they're using for Monica's powers. Hers have a kind of EM wave effect to them, Wanda/Billy/Agnes' are all swirly and magic-y

Oh, and neat touch: I'm pretty sure the interviewer asking the question in the confessional scene actually is Kathryn Hahn with them throwing a filter to artificially deepen her voice

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 20, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CapnAndy posted:

Blame is going to get portioned out very carefully and I imagine we'll get more answers next week, but I expect the answer to be somewhere along the following: Wanda took Vision's corpse back justifiably, as SWORD were being dicks and experimenting on him in an attenpt to build more against his express wishes. She took the body off somewhere and attempted to bring him back, possibly by creating a little pocket reality where they could be together. Agatha hijacked it, turning it into the Hex and overwriting Westview. Wanda woke up to the nature of her new reality quicker than anyone else, but rather than attempt to escape or stop it, selfishly decided to take advantage. Since then, it's been an unconcious duel of wills, as Wanda tried to surf the wave to get everything she's ever wanted, and Agatha tried... whatever it is she wants that she's been doing all of this for.

That'll be her defining sin coming out of this, that she had the opportunity to do the right thing, and (perhaps understandably, but still wrongly) chose to live an idealized life with the man she loved instead. Wanda handled her grief badly and it led her to make some really wrong choices, but she still stays on this side of the "created Ultron" line of Heroes Doing Bad Things.

This sounds like my guess and it sounds good. If it goes another way, I'll ride along.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, it's definitely the blue they're using for Monica's powers. Hers have a kind of EM wave effect to them, Wanda/Billy/Agnes' are all swirly and magic-y

Nope, it's purple just like Wanda's in the scene after the reveal. Monica's are blue in both scene where her powers manifest.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 20, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I am enlightened so I know purple is a fake idea, all of blue is one color.

Or colorblind, I always get those two things confused. I’m definitely one of them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I liked the episode on the whole but a lot of it was a little on the nose for me and let me down. Like I know they basically set up "Monica's gonna get her powers from this" last episode but I thought it might be subtle, like her eyes glow but she doesn't really do anything until the last episode, maybe in a post-credits scene, but this episode goes ahead and has her break free of Wanda and do a drat superhero 3-point landing in case any viewer didn't get it.

Also, I know like, everybody called the Agnes/Agatha thing, but I kind of felt let down by being right. Is that weird? I guess that after the show pulling out some real neat twists (like, I know a bunch of people called the Fox Quicksilver thing, but in my mind that was a "ha, that'd be crazy but it'd never happen" thing, not an actual possibility), Agnes being Agatha was just kind of a "welp" reveal like when everyone figured out Skrulls weren't the bad guys in Captain Marvel the minute after the trailer dropped.
Anyway, good overall, wish they could've done more sitcom bits, since the few they did have were really good.

edit: I want to know which Avenger is publishing these incredibly detailed debriefs for Darcy to know all this convenient exposition she's been spouting off. After Endgame did Old Steve Rogers just go ahead and write Avengers screenplays for Disney, the way Marvel Comics exists within Marvel Comics?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 20, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Why is this a bad thing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Wanda killed a bunch of civilians during a deeply illegal black ops assassination mission and everyone still calls Iron Man the bad guy there so I think she will escape this one fine.

Iron Man decided it was a good idea to give a fifteen year old kid assassination drones, he's always gonna be the bad guy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aphrodite posted:

It was manslaughter at best. :bahgawd:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder if we're gonna get some final puzzle box twist, like this has all been some hosed up test by Agatha to make sure Wanda's able to control her powers, leading into Dr Strange 2. Like we get the final battle, and then afterwards Agatha says to someone offscreen "So, how'd she do?" and then Cumberbatch strolls in and makes some one-liner like "It'll have to do"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder if we're gonna get some final puzzle box twist, like this has all been some hosed up test by Agatha to make sure Wanda's able to control her powers, leading into Dr Strange 2. Like we get the final battle, and then afterwards Agatha says to someone offscreen "So, how'd she do?" and then Cumberbatch strolls in and makes some one-liner like "It'll have to do"

I hope you're wrong just because that's a terrible one liner.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TwoPair posted:

Also, I know like, everybody called the Agnes/Agatha thing, but I kind of felt let down by being right. Is that weird? I guess that after the show pulling out some real neat twists (like, I know a bunch of people called the Fox Quicksilver thing, but in my mind that was a "ha, that'd be crazy but it'd never happen" thing, not an actual possibility), Agnes being Agatha was just kind of a "welp" reveal like when everyone figured out Skrulls weren't the bad guys in Captain Marvel the minute after the trailer dropped. Anyway, good overall, wish they could've done more sitcom bits, since the few they did have were really good.

I don't want them booking to the swerve. These stories are adaptations, so fans will see a fair few things coming. Sometimes they can get away with a Gwen [i]Toomes[i]. Sometimes they should just tell the story they took the time to lay out over a few hours.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Emmys don't have the Oscars' hate-boner for genre, right? They gave a bunch of statues to Game of Thrones even after it started sucking, so I figure they're cool with this sort of thing.

Which is good because Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn both deserve nominations at the very least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

The Emmys don't have the Oscars' hate-boner for genre, right? They gave a bunch of statues to Game of Thrones even after it started sucking, so I figure they're cool with this sort of thing.

Which is good because Elizabeth Olsen and Kathryn Hahn both deserve nominations at the very least.

They spent like 5 years giving awards to West Wing over Sopranos.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

They spent like 5 years giving awards to West Wing over Sopranos.

That is because Hollywood is run by demonic pedophiles

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CapnAndy posted:

Lost got a bunch of nominations and a few wins.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

One subtle touch that I appreciated: SWORD thinking that there is no longer a broadcast signal. Since the Hex moved into the 2000s, it would make sense that they couldn't pick it up on the old tube TVs they had been using. In the 2000s, they moved to HD signals so they could still be "broadcasting", but SWORD just didn't think to change up what they were looking for.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

WaffleZombie posted:

One subtle touch that I appreciated: SWORD thinking that there is no longer a broadcast signal. Since the Hex moved into the 2000s, it would make sense that they couldn't pick it up on the old tube TVs they had been using. In the 2000s, they moved to HD signals so they could still be "broadcasting", but SWORD just didn't think to change up what they were looking for.
Oh yeah, I noticed that too and thought the exact same thing, but then I forgot. Without Darcy running their literal clownshow for them, I doubt they looked.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Speaking of Darcy, I didn't realize until the recap that she was saying Oh gently caress but the Hex changed it to Fudge for TV standards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The most recent episode was a really great reminder of how terrible modern sitcoms are.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I wrote up a thing on how the crappy Avengers: United They Stand cartoon from 1999 is strangely relevant to MCU Phase 4.

Please read it to vindicate me watching all 13 episodes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The most recent episode was a really great reminder of how terrible modern sitcoms are.

Hey. It's Always Sunny is great.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ironically all you would have had to do to get me to read the article is say that there was a Strong Bad reference.

Also I can't believe you talked about the original Marvel Animated cinematic universe and didn't talk about their failed attempt at doing a Captain America animated series.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I enjoyed episode 7, It had a few moving parts in it to keep the interest up. Kathryn Hahn looks like she is having the time of her life playing Agatha Harkness so I hope this series isn't the only time we see her. The song at the end was fantastic. I like the mention of the Nexus and how it seems to be setting up the MCU for the Multiverse saga.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shameik Moore (voice of Miles in the Into The Spiderverse movie) better get at least a cameo in one of the upcoming Multiverse films.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Go watch The Good Place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Go watch The Good Place.

The Good Place is a 22 minute comedy show, but I hesitate to call it a sitcom.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought that episode did some interesting things with the now-honestly-pretty-hacky mockumentary setup.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

The Good Place is a 22 minute comedy show, but I hesitate to call it a sitcom.

I always liked the phrase Marc Evan Jackson (he played Shawn) used to describe the show on the podcast, an unusual half hour of American network television.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I always liked the phrase Marc Evan Jackson (he played Shawn) used to describe the show on the podcast, an unusual half hour of American network television.

It's so much weirder than basically any other show, including Wandavision.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

You have been vindicated.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You have been vindicated.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Honestly thought it was the funniest episode yet

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I caught up on Batwoman today, and I have to say Sophie and Alice together is the first time I really enjoyed seeing both characters on screen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ikr, too bad it seemingly was just a one off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

ikr, too bad it seemingly was just a one off

Alice licking the pepper then putting it back, then eating part of the house plant, those are by far the best things she's done.