Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

Anthony Hopkins was clearly having a fuckin blast during Ragnarok.

A better question is why wouldn't an actor want to be part of the MCU. You'll practically live forever via the role.
Anthony Hopkins is a kind of funny example in that he's one of those Theater Trained Actors who really wants to be a Hollywood star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

Anthony Hopkins is a kind of funny example in that he's one of those Theater Trained Actors who really wants to be a Hollywood star

He has been a Hollywood star since Silence of the Lambs though, maybe earlier?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
That was a really great episode. On the cameo, as someone else mentioned, JLD is also in Black Widow. Taskmaster. US Agent. I have a feeling she’s like the semi-evil Nick Fury assembling the Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hellbore posted:

Wait, when was this? I can't think of it of the top of my head.

Right after the big Zemo mask John wick sequence when they all split up she gets on the phone and calls them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

That was a really great episode. On the cameo, as someone else mentioned, JLD is also in Black Widow. Taskmaster. US Agent. I have a feeling she’s like the semi-evil Nick Fury assembling the Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts.

Yeah, this is my thought as well. I love that idea because the character is tied to Fury, but hasn't done much of her own thing in the past. So making her Fury's counterpart in assembling her own team of Avengers is such a good idea. She even hands Walker a card with a dark side on it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

A better question is why wouldn't an actor want to be part of the MCU. You'll practically live forever via the role.
Yeah, at this point it's sorta like the Harry Potter movies, where by the end basically any British actor of any note had taken a role because if they didn't have children or grandchildren who'd never forgive them for turning it down, they still wanted to be in because Harry fuckin' Potter.

A few thoughts on this episode:

First and foremost, I love so much that they don't call any attention to this: An unauthorized raid on an enemy POW camp, disobeying direct orders, to free imprisoned compatriots is exactly what made Steve Rogers transition from glorified USO show-pony to Actually Captain America. Having Isaiah Bradley do the same thing and get jailed for it is exactly the right touch for a show wanting to talk about what this show wants to talk about.

And on that note, it is god damned hilarious that the Walt Disney Corporation was like "hey kids, we're making superhero TV shows on the internet now!" and everyone was like "that sounds fun, what're they about" and it turns out the answer so far is Grief and Systemic Racism.

I don't know why Sam and Bucky were talking about Steve like he was dead even in private. Like, you guys would have told us if he's actually dead, right? There's still no reason why you can't, like, phone him up and ask him about his thoughts? I'll chalk it up to odd writing, I guess.

We nearly got the full credits this week, finally, with just one spot blank after Daniel Bruhl's "and starring", so there's one big cameo left for Episode 6.

And finally, if Sharon is the Power Broker -- and at this point that seems like an inescapable conclusion -- why the gently caress did she send Batroc to the Flag Smashers? Isn't she pissed off at them, and kinda relying on Sam to get her that pardon? What's she playing at?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 17, 2021

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, this is my thought as well. I love that idea because the character is tied to Fury, but hasn't done much of her own thing in the past. So making her Fury's counterpart in assembling her own team of Avengers is such a good idea. She even hands Walker a card with a dark side on it.

I love the idea because JLD as the anti-Fury is just about the greatest thing I’ve ever heard and I never knew I needed it until now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I figure they can't call Steve because the show is taking the alt-universe interpretation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iirc contessa ended up being a skrull in secret warriors, which seems like it would fit quite nicely for the upcoming secret invasion show

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know why Sam and Bucky were talking about Steve like he was dead even in private. Like, you guys would have told us if he's actually dead, right? There's still no reason why you can't, like, phone him up and ask him about his thoughts? I'll chalk it up to odd writing, I guess.

It doesn't seem all that far fetched to me that Steve came back to give the shield to sam and then asked to be sent back to his new timeline with Peggy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Vince MechMahon posted:

Right after the big Zemo mask John wick sequence when they all split up she gets on the phone and calls them.
Uh. I don't think this happens. The only thing that happens is that she gets into a car with another woman and tells her "We've got a big problem." We don't know who this woman is, the impression is that she's some sort of employee, but there's no relation between her and the Power Broker that we know of. And then Sharon doesn't appear for the rest of the episode.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

It doesn't seem all that far fetched to me that Steve came back to give the shield to sam and then asked to be sent back to his new timeline with Peggy
It's not like they've been consistent on this or that any explanation they've given (or indeed could give) makes sense, but last I heard the official line was that Steve was always Peggy's husband in this timeline and that's why she stayed so insanely evasive about his identity, he just laid low and let it all happen again. Which, y'know, doesn't explain why she was apparently down to date some dudes in Agent Carter, but oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

So I'm wondering if Bucky had the Wakandans do Sam's new suit Cap themed.

Toys have leaked if you need to know now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

CapnAndy posted:

It's not like they've been consistent on this or that any explanation they've given (or indeed could give) makes sense, but last I heard the official line was that Steve was always Peggy's husband in this timeline and that's why she stayed so insanely evasive about his identity, he just laid low and let it all happen again. Which, y'know, doesn't explain why she was apparently down to date some dudes in Agent Carter, but oh well.

I mean I remember them implying that she was going to date a guy but they never got there, plus we don't know when Steve returned, maybe it was after season 2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I just finished rewatching s2 yesterday and her story literally ends with her making out with a guy she had a big crush on and took all season to get with so even though it got cancelled I'm pretty sure that's where that was going lol

Was there some interview someone gave post endgame where they said peggy was always married to steve

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The writers and directors have said contradictory things about whether Steve ended up in the main timeline or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Re Time Travel in Endgame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CapnAndy posted:

Who said this? Like that makes no sense based on what we've seen. Did Peggy spend 60 years hiding that she was married to Steve Rogers from the entire world? Like I know she is a spy but did he hide in the basement when people came over, when Peggy had to appear with her husband at an event she took some body double? Like just logistically it doesn't work. Also Steve would not have sat around and let all the horrible things happen in the next decades. They never came out and said who her husband was because they didn't know what they were going to do with that plotline. If Agent Carter had gone on another season we probably would have seen Sousa and Peggy getting together.

Its easier to accept that Steve going back to Peggy in the post war era created a new timeline because that's how we see time travel works in the MCU. We now know that Bucky and Steve talked about this and they probably said "i'll come back right after I leave once I've lived the life I wanted and give my shield to Sam so he can be the next Cap". so they would have known what was going to happen.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

site posted:

I just finished rewatching s2 yesterday and her story literally ends with her making out with a guy she had a big crush on and took all season to get with so even though it got cancelled I'm pretty sure that's where that was going lol

Was there some interview someone gave post endgame where they said peggy was always married to steve

Agents of SHIELD spoilers: Sousa, Peggy’s love interest from the show, is brought to the future and becomes Daisy’s love interest, so clearly Sousa and Peggy didn’t end up together long term.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Production is underway on Doom Patrol s3 and they announced they're going to do a story with the Dead Boy Detectives.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Klungar posted:

Agents of SHIELD spoilers: Sousa, Peggy’s love interest from the show, is brought to the future and becomes Daisy’s love interest, so clearly Sousa and Peggy didn’t end up together long term.

What is the in story reason they do this, I'm curious

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

What is the in story reason they do this, I'm curious

The final season had a lot of time travel because some bad guy robots decided they wanted to take over Earth by removing SHIELD from history. They originally meet Sousa because Simmons was pretending to be Peggy to infiltrate a base and then they eventually end up at the point where Sousa was going to be killed during a mission. They fake his death to keep the timeline right but bring him along on their time travel adventure. They also give him a robot leg.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

.....Also Steve would not have sat around and let all the horrible things happen....

So then he would just let Thanos happen? Because he is what happens when you change any detail of the Avengers story. You can't save Tony's parents because then he doesn't push himself, become Iron Man, invent time travel, and sacrifice himself. Steve didn't go back in time and stop Hitler or the Crusades, he retired and lived a relatively normal live where bad things sometimes happen.

It would be different if he could choose a universe that didn't have a Thanos but he'd have no way of knowing and nothing he could have changed is worth risking the lives of half of the entire universe and their surviving loved ones.

If the writers do decide to go back on it and say he created a new branch timeline then I'm sure we'll hear about it in Loki.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

The final season had a lot of time travel because some bad guy robots decided they wanted to take over Earth by removing SHIELD from history. They originally meet Sousa because Simmons was pretending to be Peggy to infiltrate a base and then they eventually end up at the point where Sousa was going to be killed during a mission. They fake his death to keep the timeline right but bring him along on their time travel adventure. They also give him a robot leg.

...ooookay sure, why not

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That last season of AoS, especially the first half, goes full Legends and is pretty glorious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So then he would just let Thanos happen? Because he is what happens when you change any detail of the Avengers story. You can't save Tony's parents because then he doesn't push himself, become Iron Man, invent time travel, and sacrifice himself. Steve didn't go back in time and stop Hitler or the Crusades, he retired and lived a relatively normal live where bad things sometimes happen.

It would be different if he could choose a universe that didn't have a Thanos but he'd have no way of knowing and nothing he could have changed is worth risking the lives of half of the entire universe and their surviving loved ones.

If the writers do decide to go back on it and say he created a new branch timeline then I'm sure we'll hear about it in Loki.

He had the infinity gauntlet and the plan in his head before he started. What makes you think his first stop in that new universe with Peggy wasn't killing Thanos before he could become a threat?

E: I know he couldn't use the gauntlet itself without turning into a crispy critter like Tony, but humans can use the time stone just fine, and that's all you would really need to just smother baby Thanos in his crib.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 17, 2021

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I just don't buy that Steve would go back in time and let his best friend be mind tortured into being a diabolical assassin for decades and not do anything about it. If he did that's a pretty big gently caress you to the entire character.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Realistically, this is giving the matter way more thought than any of the writers gave it. They wanted Steve to have a happy ending with Peggy, and didn't especially care that the whole thing gets more and more complicated the more you think about it. It was about the emotion of the scene, not the details. If they cover it at all it'll be hand waved in Loki or What If, but likely there won't even be that much.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe when steve went to the new timeline he was like hey howie you should work on building a super suit and also maybe don't neglect your son this time around

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

site posted:

maybe when steve went to the new timeline he was like hey howie you should work on building a super suit and also maybe don't neglect your son this time around

"Also we should look for this purple guy called thanos and shove a nuke up his hole,just take my word on it ok?"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Oh my God a what if episode that's him getting the WW2 Invaders together, but to go kill Thanos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Oh my God a what if episode that's him getting the WW2 Invaders together, but to go kill Thanos.

This would be fuckin' rad, and not just because I'm a big Roy Thomas Invaders fan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

That's what I figure. Steve goes back, dances with Peggy, then its like "okay, so first, Bucky is alive, the remains of hydra are controlling him, also Shield is full of Hydra. Also I need to call Howard and tell him about this guy named Thanos."

A world with Captain America in the mid 20th century is probably a lot better than the regular MCU universe and probably a lot better than ours.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now I definitely wanna see Cap, Michael Douglas Ant Man, Bucky, and Howard Stark find Namor and an Invisible Torch android.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bet they would just have it so Howard created the torch to streamline him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Invisible Torch?

Fun reminder, canonical in the 616 Hitler was roasted alive by the original Human Torch. It'd be fun if that popped up in something in the MCU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Torch actually was an easter egg in one of the films? First Avenger during the Stark Expo scene? I swear I remember that because he was always oddly an obscure character I liked.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I want Cap to screw up history so bad that we get an FF movie set in like 1967 that ends with like Tony Stark's daughter looking at a textbook that Back to the Futures a picture of LBJ into a picture of Benjamin J Grimm

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would actually be hilarious if Marvel just went with the crazy and did like an entire season of What If based on Cap going back in time and kickstarting the MCU early.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I think the Torch actually was an easter egg in one of the films? First Avenger during the Stark Expo scene? I swear I remember that because he was always oddly an obscure character I liked.

Yeah he's in a tube at the Stark Expo in Cap 1, not turned on yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Invisible Torch?

Fun reminder, canonical in the 616 Hitler was roasted alive by the original Human Torch. It'd be fun if that popped up in something in the MCU.

I think they've gone back and forth as to if it was Jim who killed Hitler, or Bucky. Bucky definitely claimed to have done it at one point.