Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Skwirl posted:

Guy Gardner was invented to make Hal Jordan seem likeable.

That's why he's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lol he looks like the guy who played Guy Gardner in the 1997 television pilot movie for Justice League of America

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Where's G'nort, you cowards.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
They should get Jai Courtney to play Mogo because he has the personality of a rock.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of casting, Vincent Kartheiser has been cast as Scarecrow for season 3 of Titans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Snyder actually shot a scene with a John Stewart Green Lantern for the Snyder Cut, but it was cut.

Er, less cut and more WB saying "Zack, we're not putting the fanfilm you shot on your driveway into the movie, we've already spent another 80 million, it's DONE, we're finished"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does Geoff Johns have input on the GL show?

If so, that's probably why John won't be around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johns is listed as a producer in the Deadline article about the casting but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be actively involved.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just referencing how he treated Ray Fisher.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And also we were making jokes about Johns not allowing anyone except Hal Jordan to be Green Lantern way before Fisher made any allegations.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The problem with DC's messaging is they only make an announcement once, make another announcement that sounds unrelated but is actually related, and then never bother to restate anything again. By all accounts, this Green Lantern show is a companion to the Green Lantern Corps movie that's been in development hell for a while, but is finally starting to move forward as DC plans 2023 and beyond. There was a report out of WB about 6 or so months ago that the goal is for every major DC film release to get an HBO Max tie-in project. Unless that was wrong, this is absolutely that tie-in. The plan for years has been for the GLC movie to be a buddy cop movie with Hal and John, and this show looks to have all the other Lanterns they don't want to shove into the movie. The fact it's anthology style probably means down the line they can pick which ones people really loved and spin them off into even more shows. It all leads to AT&T looking at HBO Max as their golden goose.

Anyway, they probably should have just held off til everyone from Alan Scott to Jessica Cruz was actually cast and made the announcement all at once, but it's extremely weird to see a ton of people on twitter coming up with conspiracy theories about WB hating John Stewart when Zack Snyder, like, a month ago literally said he couldn't use John Stewart in the Snyder cut because WB said they had active plans for him. My guess is we'll hear an official announcement of the movie and a bit more of this show during Fandome in October.

It seems like DC is really trying to suddenly flesh out the DCEU with decades of history. That's why the casting for Black Adam looks like they want to add superheroes into different time periods. And now with giving these Green Lanterns their own periods to work with, it's a quick way to say "hey look we already have legacy heroes" like what Marvel is doing. Of course, DC suddenly had Wonder Woman doing stuff in 1984 despite that directly contradicting their own canon, so who the hell knows.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 30, 2021

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I love Finn Wittrock and he’s got better acting chops than half the people that’ve been cast in Berlanti shows, I’m pretty excited for this.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Sanschel posted:

I love Finn Wittrock and he’s got better acting chops than half the people that’ve been cast in Berlanti shows, I’m pretty excited for this.

I don't mind that he's pretty (looks like he'll be the young rookie I guess?) but he's really gotta bring the smirking douchebaggery.

I think my fan casting for an I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League show back in 2005 was Bruce Campbell.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't mind that he's pretty (looks like he'll be the young rookie I guess?) but he's really gotta bring the smirking douchebaggery.

I think my fan casting for an I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League show back in 2005 was Bruce Campbell.

Ironically, the guy they got for Elongated Man in Flash would probably be an amazing Guy Gardener and looks like a young Bruce Campbell to boot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alaois posted:

lol he looks like the guy who played Guy Gardner in the 1997 television pilot movie for Justice League of America
The guy from the unaired JLA pilot was actually really hot without the doofy mask

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The United States posted:

The guy from the unaired JLA pilot was actually really hot without the doofy mask

Is that the dad from Gossip Girl?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If that Green Lantern series is going through all the eras, they better drat well have Hal go crazy and Kyle be there to put the Corps back together and the "last" Green Lantern.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The United States posted:

Why is the Green Lantern blue

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Why is the Green Lantern blue

Just because you have no fear doesn't mean you can't be sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Just because you have no fear doesn't mean you can't be sad.

But sadness doesn't have a colour! Blue is supposed to be hope! (god the spectrum stuff is pretty dumb)

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here’s Ms Marvel

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks really drat good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gonna be interesting how they justify the lightning bolt motif in a world where Carol always wore the star. The whole Captain Marvel fangirl aspect is so fundamental to Kamala, I can't see them dropping it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It looks... perfect?

Gaz-L posted:

Gonna be interesting how they justify the lightning bolt motif in a world where Carol always wore the star. The whole Captain Marvel fangirl aspect is so fundamental to Kamala, I can't see them dropping it.

Not a great quality pic obviously but it looks less like a lightning bolt and more like a streak. Like Captain Marvel flying?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 1, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It actually kinda looks like the version from the video game, more than the comics.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's a really good costume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's wonderful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a good costume, but it looks a little too tailored for my taste. It reminds me more of the sentient Kree battle suit (that then went rogue) Kamala got in Saladin Ahmed's run than the original DIY painted burkini.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've already seen her homemade suit, this is clearly the upgrade.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dacap posted:

Here’s Ms Marvel

That looks good as hell. I love the way the lightning bolt is worked into the shape of the suit.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 1, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dacap posted:

Here’s Ms Marvel

This looks fine, I guess, but man the Marvel Studios house style of costume design (that collar, those geometric elements on the knees and shoulders, the pattern of the fabric) can’t help but stick out every time they run a distinctive design through that filter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looks like a mix of the regular costume and that alien suit she had for a while

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

JordanKai posted:

That looks good as hell. I love the way the lightning bolt is worked into the shape of the suit.

Obviously that's the zipper for her tunic/burkini.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that looks amazing, one of the best translations from page to screen. I am curious how her still wearing chuck taylors though. If they're going to add boots in afterwards because of her embiggening or what.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Man, Invincible is so good. Incredible season finale. Kirkman went back and rewrote a significant amount of the story, tightening it up and removed a lot of the problematic parts so far. Looking forward to seeing what he does with the rest of the story in season 2 and 3.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think Invincible would be a lot more poignant if the show didn't take such over the top glee in gore. I just find it hard to care about the dude saving people's lives only to have to watch people get their skulls crushed in and brains splattered everywhere. It's almost to the point of absurdity that you can't just have some one die, they have to have to be dismembered too. All the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I think Invincible would be a lot more poignant if the show didn't take such over the top glee in gore. I just find it hard to care about the dude saving people's lives only to have to watch people get their skulls crushed in and brains splattered everywhere. It's almost to the point of absurdity that you can't just have some one die, they have to have to be dismembered too. All the time.

And you are discovering why people who initially liked the comic soured on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The contrast of the bright colors and clean art with the the hyper violent depiction of what a Superman could actually be would work for a limited series. Invincible went 144 issues.

I don't think it wants you to care about the individuals he saves though. That's why none of them are given any time. They don't give the soon to be killed bystanders the little peek into their lives moment so you feel bad when they die like most shows do. The only time the people about to be saved get a moment to endear themselves to the audience is the white house guards in episode 1, and that's probably because the show hasn't hit the 'twist' yet and is presenting itself as Young Justice.

They only exist for their impact on Mark and the other primary characters.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The contrast of the bright colors and clean art with the the hyper violent depiction of what a Superman could actually be would work for a limited series. Invincible went 144 issues.

It was fine in Destroyer even if it was kinda ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stargirl was renewed for season 3 even though season 2 doesn't start until August.