Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

If Bautista is any indication, James Gunn works very well with professional wrestlers. I’d love to see him work with The Rock on something.

The Rock is a lovely actor and doesn't have the humility required to be a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He probably does? Maybe? Just seems like he takes anything he’s offered, and he doesn’t get offered anything remotely challenging.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

He probably does? Maybe? Just seems like he takes anything he’s offered, and he doesn’t get offered anything remotely challenging.

There were contract negotiations about how many times he was hit in the Fast and Furious spin off.

Not hit in a safety sense, hit in the final cut of the film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All that stuff was made up by Vin Diesel and Tyrese.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

All that stuff was made up by Vin Diesel and Tyrese.

Fine, he still hasn't ever been in a film that asked him to emote beyond being The Rock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, neither has Cena so that seems to fit the point there well.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Skwirl posted:

Fine, he still hasn't ever been in a film that asked him to emote beyond being The Rock.

Pain & Gain

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doom.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Be Cool

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven’t seen Be Cool in so long, I didn’t want to stick my foot in something. I remember liking it at the time.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Edit: Southland Tales

Madkal posted:

I kind of love how they are banking on Peacemaker being the breakout star of the movie.

I'm still convinced it's all a ruse and Peacemaker will die spectacularly in the movie.
Like a crazier more elaborate version of editing Hulk into Wakanda scenes for the Infinity War trailer. That being said the show could be real and a prequel and he could still die in Suicide Squad.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 14, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty much the whole synopsis of Suicide Squad has been online for a while. So if you tally want you can find out how big a role it is if you want to spoil yourself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Skwirl posted:

Sounds like SOMEONE hasn't seen Tooth Fairy.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1393305911259697153

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Hulu MODOK show is getting pretty good early reviews from what I've seen.

https://tv.avclub.com/hulu-s-m-o-d-o-k-is-a-supervillain-sitcom-that-s-so-mu-1846874552

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finished Jupiter's Legacy after not having read the comics and it was fine? The old age makeup was terrible and the costumes were CW caliber, but the story itself was fine. I also have no idea why they made the origin story play out over the whole season, it added nothing to the plot that having it as a single episode wouldn't have.

I do have a question: Where the gently caress did all these other super people come from? Unless every member of the six and that boat went full quiver, how are there all these powered folks running around? Is this something that's clarified in the comic?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

I do have a question: Where the gently caress did all these other super people come from? Unless every member of the six and that boat went full quiver, how are there all these powered folks running around? Is this something that's clarified in the comic?

Not really. Aside from the second generation, others just kind of... started popping up a while after the Union got their powers on the Lost island.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Arist posted:

The Hulu MODOK show is getting pretty good early reviews from what I've seen.

https://tv.avclub.com/hulu-s-m-o-d-o-k-is-a-supervillain-sitcom-that-s-so-mu-1846874552

I was excited to see Monica Rappachini was the work rival, though I think making her a techie instead of a biologist kind of ruins the joke of the name.

Vvvv "Oh God, can you smell that? Can you smell what he's cooking? It's people!!!"

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 18, 2021

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The rock would be a good fit for a horror movie / psychological thriller where he's just the rock and always smiles and is happy but also kills people in gruesome ways.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Affi posted:

The rock would be a good fit for a horror movie / psychological thriller where he's just the rock and always smiles and is happy but also kills people in gruesome ways.

So what you're saying is they need to remake Doom and keep him in it as the lead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress remake, just re-release it as is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soonmot posted:

I finished Jupiter's Legacy after not having read the comics and it was fine? The old age makeup was terrible and the costumes were CW caliber, but the story itself was fine. I also have no idea why they made the origin story play out over the whole season, it added nothing to the plot that having it as a single episode wouldn't have.

That's just how things are now. Everything has to have an origin.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Affi posted:

Pain & Gain

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

JordanKai posted:

Pain & Gain

I had forgotten he was in it but yeah exactly like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MISS MINUTES! I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpCIadly88

Also I'm pretty sure I spotted Eugene Cordero in the background of one shot and that's cool.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 19, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

MISS MINUTES! I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vpCIadly88

Also I'm pretty sure I spotted Eugene Cordero in the background of one shot and that's cool.

Sure looks like him, yeah. Love me some Eugene Cordero.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I don't have any strong opinions on Irvine either way, but tbh, I'm a bit surprised that they're not casting an openly gay actor in this role, especially given that Berlanti is producing.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1395169893729849348

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, it would've been nice, and now that you mention it, I suppose Berlanti shows do have a pretty strong track record for casting LGBT+ actors as LGBT+ characters.

Still...it's not a hard-and-fast requirement or anything. I get that it makes for good optics, but holding fast to a "you have to be gay to play this gay character" rule can be an iffy standard too. It's more important that gay (or trans) actors aren't excluded from roles -- any roles, of any determination -- than that every role has to correspond to an actor in that way.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Everyone knows you have to do gay acting before they'll let you do straight acting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just assumed all actors were either gay or bisexual.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheDK posted:

Everyone knows you have to do gay acting before they'll let you do straight acting.

Dates back to the Greeks. Even Shakespeare did it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BrianWilly posted:

Well, it would've been nice, and now that you mention it, I suppose Berlanti shows do have a pretty strong track record for casting LGBT+ actors as LGBT+ characters.

Yeah Berlanti gets a pass from me on account of all the gay and trans people he has playing straight cis characters. It's like he's trying to counter balance the last 5 decades of media.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chyler Leigh gained the courage to come out after her character did. That's pretty significant as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Chyler Leigh gained the courage to come out after her character did. That's pretty significant as well.

Alex's coming out scene (specifically when she comes out to Kara) is actually one of my favourite instances of that in TV. The almost-hyperventilating from anxiety as she says something she's terrified to say out loud to someone she cares about just feels so raw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leigh had some lengthy social media posts about that and how she had no idea how much the Alex role would redefine her life. She's a pro follow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MODOK is pretty good but it's definitely the Marvel version of Harley Quinn.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

MODOK is pretty good but it's definitely the Marvel version of Harley Quinn.

...is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Harley is great so if this is even close to that good I'm in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm expecting it to be super gay and I'm gonna end up disappointed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klungar posted:

...is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Oh no I love Harley Quinn. This is not quite as good, but I still laugh. About 6 episodes in now and it's basically a feature length Robot Chicken.