Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lobok posted:

It's been a very long time since I read The Authority but the impression I have still is that its tone and violence is going to feel similar to The Boys, which may not be a favourable comparison when The Authority are supposed to be the good guys.

The original Warren Ellis Authority run was a lot more nuanced. The Mark Millar-led run was complete trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I've only read the Ellis run and it's a little bit more fascist than your typical Avengers or Justice League book it's not even on the level of like The Ultimates, let alone the "super heroes" in The Boys.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
...what?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1621196159556386816

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'd rather have a Planetary series than an Authority movie.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

That's a pleasant surprise. It's been so long, I just assumed it was cancelled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was Hitmonkey good?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lobok posted:

It's been a very long time since I read The Authority but the impression I have still is that its tone and violence is going to feel similar to The Boys, which may not be a favourable comparison when The Authority are supposed to be the good guys.

The similarity between is that they both have superheroes that kill, but The Authority is very much wide screen theatrical superhero battling, and it's apt that it's being turned into a movie since it was conceived as bringing that type of blockbuster Ken's to comic books

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Was Hitmonkey good?

It wasn't the best thing ever but it was pretty good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

The similarity between is that they both have superheroes that kill, but The Authority is very much wide screen theatrical superhero battling, and it's apt that it's being turned into a movie since it was conceived as bringing that type of blockbuster Ken's to comic books

They kill but I seem to remember there was an implicit and explicit "we know better than you" message from The Authority. The "you" being world leaders. They may not touch on any of that but that was a big part of what made them interesting. The complete opposite of someone like Superman who could rule the world but chooses near-total political neutrality.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Lobok posted:

They kill but I seem to remember there was an implicit and explicit "we know better than you" message from The Authority. The "you" being world leaders. They may not touch on any of that but that was a big part of what made them interesting. The complete opposite of someone like Superman who could rule the world but chooses near-total political neutrality.

That was more explicit in Millar's run, where he had them do dumb poo poo like issuing tough-guy threats against Bill Clinton.

With Ellis it was there to some extent, moreso in the first arc, but that was not exactly the most problematic part of that arc (that would be the insane yellow-peril overtone).

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I want to know how they are going to handle Jenny Sparks, what with her whole thing being the spirit of the 20th century. Period piece? Just shifting it forwards two decades?

If they just don't include her then I'm a lot less interested.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I want to know how they are going to handle Jenny Sparks, what with her whole thing being the spirit of the 20th century. Period piece? Just shifting it forwards two decades?

If they just don't include her then I'm a lot less interested.

Flashbacks to Jenny Sparks’ time with the team and the thrust of the plot is finding Jenny Quantum?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Jack Hawksmore was always a cool idea, although his powers ended up being random enough that it didn't really work.

e: Jenny Quantum is the dumbest name in a medium full of dumb names. I'd rather they rename her Jenny Bloodshot

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and a leak reveals that the name of the character is now "Jenny Crypto"

It's funny because there's probably really no scientific concept that has taken hold of the public imagination since "quantum" and it was past its prime even in the early 2000s.

Besides, the name "Jenny Sparks" really only worked in the milieu of early-20th-century pulp heroes named like "Billy Zappo, Boy Adventurer" or "Sally Science, Girl Eugenicist". Just need to find a different naming convention altogether.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

A finger curls on the monkey's paw and a leak reveals that the name of the character is now "Jenny Crypto"

It's funny because there's probably really no scientific concept that has taken hold of the public imagination since "quantum" and it was past its prime even in the early 2000s.

Besides, the name "Jenny Sparks" really only worked in the milieu of early-20th-century pulp heroes named like "Billy Zappo, Boy Adventurer" or "Sally Science, Girl Eugenicist". Just need to find a different naming convention altogether.

Jenny SocialMedia!

guess that's not really "scientific" though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
#Jenny

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Jenny Viral

Because it works on multiple levels, you see

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

TwoPair posted:

Jenny SocialMedia!

guess that's not really "scientific" though

This just reminded be though that the recent 'The Wild Storm' comic series had her able to travel through smart phones, appearing in the background of their Tik Toks and whatnot, and I thought that was a nice updating of the concept. Just have her manifest through an omnipresent app named like "Sprks" or something and otherwise stay unnamed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
What about Jenny.0

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jenny Sparks can't compete with the timeless genius of Turner D. Century.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
clearly it's Jenny bitcoin

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Colin Farrell says that his Penguin spinoff series starts filming at the end of the month so that is still coming.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
But now how will I learn where Batman's butler came from?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And Pennyworth didn't even get to his Macaroni years!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Colin Farrell says that his Penguin spinoff series starts filming at the end of the month so that is still coming.

Good. I would like more of the Reeve stuff. I'm interested in what is being built.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm listening to the cerebro episode on Forge and Connor just said something that's so obvious in retrospect, but I never even considered: The way they're using Contessa Valentina DeFontaine is, including how they call her Val, Val Cooper. She's filling that role in the MCU.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Pennyworth was almost entirely unrelated to Batman but was completely related to batshit insanity, a lot of fun and that's a shame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
who is Val Cooper

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Government employee frenemy of the X-men, Claremont created her. She's been the official liason for a couple versions of X-Factor and think she's shown up in the Krakow era. But her whole thing is pretty much exactly what MCU Val is doing currently.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Government employee frenemy of the X-men, Claremont created her. She's been the official liason for a couple versions of X-Factor and think she's shown up in the Krakow era. But her whole thing is pretty much exactly what MCU Val is doing currently.

Man I loved Peter David's X-Factor run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Spider-Man Noir series coming to Amazon for...reasons

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/spider-man-noir-live-action-series-amazon-1235515943/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those initial tweets really buried the lede that this is being written by the guy who wrote the really lovely mortal kombat movie

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

site posted:

those initial tweets really buried the lede that this is being written by the guy who wrote the really lovely mortal kombat movie

Annihilation?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happitoo posted:

Annihilation?

No, the latest one that decided they needed some weird bland Create-A-Fighter as the lead character and not Johnny Cage or Sonya Blade or Liu Kang or like any of the dozens of people already there who could do it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Oh yes, the one that is based a fighting tournament game which had no fighting tournament in it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I dunno. Spider-Man Noir fighting a guy with tiny baby robot arms that turn into big robot arms mid-fight could make for some pretty fun steampunk bullshit.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mortal Kombat 2: The Fireworks Factory

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's a Harley Quinn Valentine's Day special and it's funny and great, but I just realized, why the gently caress is Poison Ivy Vegan? She should be pure carnivore, she loves plants more than most people, she probably should be more willing to be a cannibal than eat a salad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Skwirl posted:

There's a Harley Quinn Valentine's Day special and it's funny and great, but I just realized, why the gently caress is Poison Ivy Vegan? She should be pure carnivore, she loves plants more than most people, she probably should be more willing to be a cannibal than eat a salad.

Hahaha I thought the exact same thing. I guess maybe her environmental terrorism overrides her love of plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Being a fruitarian would make the most sense in this context (only eating fruits, nuts, other things that can be harvested without killing the plant). Guess you could make a salad by plucking some leaves off a few growing heads of lettuce without pulling them out of the ground altogether. Not many restaurants are going to go that far out of their way, though, except those high-end "forager" places maybe.