Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think it really matters if the serum is actually amplifying anything about a person's personality. That's what's going to happen anyway. If you give someone immense power it's going to go one of two ways. The reason Battlestar didn't say "no way man, power always corrupts!" is because Rogers is the most famous recipient of the serum and everyone knows it didn't corrupt him.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

If I had the super soldier serum I probably wouldn't do much different than I do now, except maybe un-give up my dreams of being a pro wrestler, because if I start going power mad I would get shot to death very quickly.

Oh and I'd update my Tinder profile with an ab shot.

"My god, do you see how many bags of chips and pretzels Super Medullah can go through while he's binging Netflix????"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also suspect if you'd asked Sam that after Ant-Man kicked his rear end, his answer might've been different

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The doctor Zemo killed made a point of saying his was perfect, though that can be chalked up to arrogance.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

That’s a relative assertion, as I’m sure Erskine considered his version perfect since it didn’t give you a monster face like Skull’s version.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

As far as I can tell, and correct me if I'm missing something, the key here is that every single person aside from Steve received the serum because they were either an unwilling subject of medical experimentation or an active pursuer of the power it would grant them.

Red Skull wanted physical power to match his ambitions for global fascism with him at the helm.

The HYDRA soldiers that Zemo executed in Civil War seemingly had volunteered because they were HYDRA assholes who wanted to become unstoppable killing machines.

Blonsky was already a sleazy operator type who wanted to the godlike power he saw in Cap and Hulk.

Banner, to the extent that the serum was involved, was the product of an accident, and it VERY CLEARLY caused a problem with amplifying parts of himself he already had trouble controlling. It took over a decade of constant self mastery and scientific breakthroughs for him to find an equilibrium, and in the meantime he was a walking nuke who was constantly at risk of going off, which he then did several times.

Isaiah was a test subject who was then systemically abused for the rest of his life.

Bucky was a mentally shattered automaton and the subject of a century of medical torture.

Karli and her squad are normal, frightened refugees who have been marked as subhuman, and took the serum as a hail mary. They have goals, and the goals are in many ways noble, but they are also wholly unprepared for the lives they now have, and it is obvious that they're making it up as they go along.

Walker craves the power that will make him Objectively Correct and Strong and the Rightful Inheritor of the Shield.

Only Steve had the Goldilocks elements. He was already a powerless man who was nevertheless unflinching in his willingness to put everything he had on the line to protect people. He was a man naturally lacking in cruelty and abundant in hope. He never wanted power and he never felt he deserved it. He accepted its weight solely so that no one else would have to feel its burden, and he spent his entire life trying to live up to the unbelievable responsibility that comes with people looking to you for guidance on how to be courageous and how to use power wisely. He often made powerful groups of ostensible allies very angry at him because of his commitment to using the gift of power to oppose "bullies" aka people who own and abuse power.

Steve never wanted power, power was not tortured into him as a tool for greater powers to exploit, and he did not take power out of fear or desperation. He accepted the burden of power because his guiding principle is to be of perfect service to those whom power would crush, he had the good fortune of disappearing for decades and thus never at risk of seeing that power curdle within him as governments and militaries attempt to control harvest him after the War was settled, and that is why he is the rare creature who is not instantly rendered a mentally unstable weapon over the course of his lifetime.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 10, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fools not getting their Vita-Rays is what is causing the problem obviously.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Everyone keeps thinking you can do this without the Vita-Rays and look what keeps happening!!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My head canon is that the Vita rays are just nonsense that actually did nothing. Like Erskine was a brilliant scientist but he believed in vitamins being transmitted via light and Stark just said gently caress it instead of arguing with him. It's like people who eat silver now, but with lights.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Vita rays obviously did something because steve was the only person who got the serum and also got hella jacked

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

Vita rays obviously did something because steve was the only person who got the serum and also got hella jacked

The guy who remade the serum said his version "works with the body" which I assume was to explain why that didn't happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The renegotiation of the Sony contract means that promotion of Vita Rays is no longer necessary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

The guy who remade the serum said his version "works with the body" which I assume was to explain why that didn't happen.

i mean okay i'm just saying if the headcanon is that they were placebo it seems like they did in fact do something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

The renegotiation of the Sony contract means that promotion of Vita Rays is no longer necessary.

As if Sony would ever try to promote the Vita

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I always figured the Vita-Ray thing was some kind of super science radiation that was necessary for the uptake and absorption of the serum so that it wasn't inert/lethal/guaranteed to turn your face into a crimson mask of death

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aren’t Vita-Rays just Gamma Rays?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

Aren’t Vita-Rays just Gamma Rays?

In the MCU, no.

In the comics they're a combination of different kinds of radiation and probably have gamma in there.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

In the MCU, no.

In the comics they're a combination of different kinds of radiation and probably have gamma in there.

Ok, I thought that was how we got the Hulk of it all, Banner trying to recreate the Vita Rays with Gamma but not getting it exactly right

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Klungar posted:

Ok, I thought that was how we got the Hulk of it all, Banner trying to recreate the Vita Rays with Gamma but not getting it exactly right

No, in the comics Bruce was working on the Gamma Bomb project, which was unrelated and was as you might guess just like an H-bomb but gamma. (Why was that better than hydrogen? You'd have to ask Jack and/or Stan.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In the movie we don't know exactly what Bruce was doing as they're pretty vague about the exact nature of the experiment, but it seemed like he thought he was working on medical treatments while Ross wanted to weaponize his work.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Dawgstar posted:

No, in the comics Bruce was working on the Gamma Bomb project, which was unrelated and was as you might guess just like an H-bomb but gamma. (Why was that better than hydrogen? You'd have to ask Jack and/or Stan.)

there's a brief period where everyone working in the bullpen must have read the same like Life Magazine piece about cobalt because every villain in every book is suddenly trying to make c-bombs and cobalt armor, the sixties were a wild time for scientific advancement in the explosery arts

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

In the movie we don't know exactly what Bruce was doing as they're pretty vague about the exact nature of the experiment, but it seemed like he thought he was working on medical treatments while Ross wanted to weaponize his work.

I always felt like the Incredible Hulk movie was written with the assumption you'd seen the Ang Lee one. "You remember that poo poo in the other Hulk movie? That's what happened."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Are we sure that Battlestar died? We only have the shot of a crazy guy shaking his face and yelling wake up at him. Could have just been out cold.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

theironjef posted:

Are we sure that Battlestar died? We only have the shot of a crazy guy shaking his face and yelling wake up at him. Could have just been out cold.

I would be very surprised if he was alive. But you correct that they didn't explicitly say he was dead

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, we all know exactly the same. He got smashed, he looked dead, then everyone ran off mad/guilty. So its entirely possible he could be alive but no one knows the answer to that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought that shot of him later was going to be him starting to come to, but instead he was still just lifeless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It really was sad they killed Battlestar. The character was more interesting than usagent.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

theironjef posted:

He's a regular human guy who took a fist to the sternum so hard that he flew 20 feet backwards into a stone pillar, which he cracked. That man is 1,000% dead for a number of reasons.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

He's a regular human guy who took a fist to the sternum so hard that he flew 20 feet backwards into a stone pillar, which he cracked. That man is 1,000% dead for a number of reasons.

1 of which is because we already have 1 black sidekick.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's some deleted scenes in Incredible Hulk with Ross and another officer (his superior?) that expand a bit on Ross' past and hints that there were other failed tests including human subjects that either had to be killed or imprisoned. Watching the deleted scenes, Ross comes across way worse than he does in the theatrical cut.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
must be pretty bad because he already comes off as a huge fuckin douche

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah with how much of a shithead he's been portrayed as in every movie he shows up in, I'm kind of surprised they have yet to pull the villain trigger on him.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Power broker is going to be played by Hugh Hackman, he will act exactly like Wolverine, but his name will be Doug Bofa

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, the Power Broker will be a guy who just happens to look exactly like Wolverine, except he has an eyepatch so it obviously can't be him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean they did talk about the Patch Act in this episode.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah with how much of a shithead he's been portrayed as in every movie he shows up in, I'm kind of surprised they have yet to pull the villain trigger on him.

Obviously they're waiting until they can get the rights back from Universal to launch the Red Hulk Saga.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's some deleted scenes in Incredible Hulk with Ross and another officer (his superior?) that expand a bit on Ross' past and hints that there were other failed tests including human subjects that either had to be killed or imprisoned. Watching the deleted scenes, Ross comes across way worse than he does in the theatrical cut.

I really wish they had done a Robocop 2 style scene of all the failed experiments ending comically horribly.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Mr Hootington posted:

1 of which is because we already have 1 black sidekick.

Yeah I don't know if I said it in this thread but I was next to positive Battlestar was gonna get fridged from the jump. I'm like 65% Walker will die tragically either in a heroic turn or from his own direct action like a Disney villain.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

My head canon is that the Vita rays are just nonsense that actually did nothing. Like Erskine was a brilliant scientist but he believed in vitamins being transmitted via light and Stark just said gently caress it instead of arguing with him. It's like people who eat silver now, but with lights.

In the comics Erskine developed a program of vitamins, diet, and exercise that made you into a super soldier if you adhered to it perfectly for 20 years. Too much effort though so he went on to develop the Serum. Erskine knows about the vitamins.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

In the comics Erskine developed a program of vitamins, diet, and exercise that made you into a super soldier if you adhered to it perfectly for 20 years. Too much effort though so he went on to develop the Serum. Erskine knows about the vitamins.

That regimen? 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 km run. Every day. No matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

That regimen? 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 km run. Every day. No matter what.

If you can do 100 pushups and 100 squats, 100 sit-ups would probably be easy.