Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The show is absolutely not trying to play off that as covered up. It's opening statement is basically just saying "Before New York, all people knew about was a crazy millionaire in a robot suit and a weird government monster".

After New York, suddenly aliens and gods are all real. They aren't saying that incident was covered up, they're saying that incident uncovered everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if they went the opposite direction with Kingpin and made her a woman. Melissa McCarthy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In that case I'd say Woody Harrelson. He can be an intimidating dude, has a fat head already, and could probably bulk up pretty huge.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm glad people took my suggestion at face value and didn't think I was just making a fat joke. A woman kingpin would rock, and McCarthy has a ton of untapped potential in dramatic roles.

Really though I'm sure they'll knock casting out of the park whichever direction they go in. I assume it will just be a big white guy which will also be just fine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah thanks to Spider-man in the nineties I still see kingpin, hammerhead, silvermane all as Spider man villains.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh hell Daredevil stole Mysterio too didn't he?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just realized Woody only popped to my mind for Kingpin because he starred in Kingpin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gordon Ramsey for Kingpin

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

She also mainly resembles her comic counterpart only superficially. Conceptually, she's pretty close to the opposite, where the comic version was defined by the fact she protested SHIELD's policies, so having her be the face of "the system" essentially makes her a different character. We'll see if they do anything interesting with her in the future, tho.

Well she was Osbourne's right hand man and towed his line pretty well. She was representative of the system then. Maybe Fury is already running things kind of like Osbourne.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really haven't noticed that many quips honestly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's funny that if not for alll the anti-religion stuff, the show would probably be right at home on Fox News.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ennis writes a drat good Superman story though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Ennis' problem is he needs an editor, having Preacher on basic cable actually could be really loving good. There's so many parts I like, and so many parts that would be better if it wasn't so trying to be extreme and "No YOU shut the gently caress up God!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I loving love Green Hornet. The original serials from the thirties. His character is completely bad rear end. What's crazy is his alter ego news man has an acerbic bodyguard who enjoys getting in fights, and himself carries a gun and uses it when necessary, while Green Hornet only uses a sleep gun and also has a bodyguard who does not carry a gun. He does tons of dangerous stuff when not even in disguise because he's already an established bad rear end. And almost all the villains he fights are basically exploiting workers or making people labor in unsafe conditions, or attacking public infrastructure to make their private for profit alternative more competitive.

I loving wish anybody could make a Green Hornet film or TV series that captured the feel of the original radio drama and serials.

And he's a direct descendent of the lone ranger! And he predates Batman!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Green Hornet had a similar problem to the Lone Ranger, you really had the feeling that they were somewhat embarrassed by their source material.

How could they possibly be embarrassed by the source material? It's loving awesome. You got this newspaper publisher exposing city wide corruption by day and posing as a criminal to gently caress up their schemes by night. He's a suave motherfucker with a bodyguard on retainer, and his butler is a mechanical genius who also knows karate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or maybe just directing it. I made the same mistake.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
GL looked like it was desperately trying to set up a shared universe with Amanda Waller.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There wasn't one that I can think of. There was kind of a twist specific to the episode itself, but not a major one or anything you couldn't see coming from a mile away.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah but then S1e7 will have television reporter Vic Sage or something and you'll all mark the F out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Captain America.

I would think a period agents of shield might work better. I wonder if marvel would even be willing to touch old properties like the (robot) human torch, the wizzer, miss America, etc. that they know there's no chance would show up in the films.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if you were confusing that promo picture with how he'll look a Dethlok, that was from earlier in the season.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
J. August Richards is relatively handsome, but I don't think he's model attractive, or twenty something for that matter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they can get Hugh Laurie, have him use his real accent. Laugh at focus groups saying his fake British accent is horrible

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bonus: They'd be sexy. I think this is why my wife doesn't mind watching Arrow with me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just marathoned the first season of Arrow in slightly less than a week.

And god drat it Hulu only has the last few episoded, CW too. I thought they were supposed to have the entire season as we went along! Why am I paying these guys five bucks a month! Are these episodes on any other service(something like iTunes but I don't use iTunes)?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just watched all of season one. In the last episode they flash back to the life raft, they still show Robert killing that dude first. Dude was just unimportant, doesn't warrant a backstory.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Watch them cast the guy who was Count Vertigo on Arrow as the Joker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That would be really stupid buuut I like the idea of that guy being the Joker :v:

Honestly he was halfway playing the joker anyway. I was too timid to say he might be good. Well, you know, for a produced in Canada CW show.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The finale of S1 is when it became clear how dumb the show was and that it was all going to be downhill from there.

Well, that and the opening of Season 2. Maybe they can make something good if they just abandon all baggage. Also do not have time travel or power absorbing people.

greatn fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 23, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He pushed her off a cliff so he could subsequently catch her to show her she could trust him. She found this romantic.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The remaining eight could be the defenders miniseries.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hell's Kitchen is totally gentrified now anyway. What's daredevil gonna stop, a some trust fund kid pocketing an extra handful of berries at the whole foods?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Blue Devil's origin is that he actually was a stunt actor with a blue devil suit for a movie before he got turned into a real one, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You have to give Smallville credit in that their super speed scenes and effects were very well done, so I'd have to imagine this team doing even better could be pretty sweet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm talking more like the scenes where he wraps a lead vest around an exploding kryptonite bomb and runs it out of the hospital, or where he rescues Chloe from Cadmus to a weird strobe effect, or races the flash.

Even simple stuff like running down a highway looked decent enough.

I'm sure Flash will use the cheap "whoosh, camera cut, gone" effect as well because there's really no reason not to.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WarLocke posted:

Eh, I thought the 'aura' thing looked weird in practice but maybe I'm in the minority there.

I was thinking more "fish eye lens, actor in front facing camera, composite onto low speed background highway traveling footage" effect.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Shield was actually good with good plot moving along and a neat twist. Still a couple of incredibly dumb things(mainly that the villain could control men with voice, they knew this, and went in with zero countermeasures, and then didn't shoot her on sight).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

They also name dropped a bunch of alien races as Coulson asked Sif about any blue ones.

She said one in particular had visited Earth before, and that the others hadn't, but I didn't catch the name of the one she said did. I don't think it was Kree.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It looks like when Ferris Bueller jumps the fence to race his parents home at the end of the movie. Except he would make it a lot faster for sure. Definitely some trampoline action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It may look brighter when lit, or be color keyed in post. But it is a lovely shade of crimson.