Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Marvel's way of reminding people that the film's and shows will remain separate is by making Clark Gregg feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

That doesn't really matter. Saying you can't have two "supernatural-esque" shows on the schedule when you have two vampire shows on the schedule (regardless of where the second one came from) is kind of silly. CBS has 2 or 3 NCISes and as many CSIs. People will watch what they feel like watching. They aren't going to go "Oh I watch and love Supernatural, therefore I simply cannot watch another show remotely like it."

If anything those viewers would be more likely to watch it. Especially if they used Supernatural as a lead-in (I don't know what follows Supernatural right now because I don't follow that show). A lot of viewers are particular about genre of shows*, at least in my experience.

*We all know a guy who only watches police procedurals, or only sci-fi shows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

So like is Superman supposed to be MoS Superman or what? This is in the same universe as Flash and Arrow right?

The producer Greg Berlanti suggested a crossover onto Flash/Arrow could be possible, but nothing definitive is planned yet. So maybe?

Edit: He said that back in November during an interview with EW.
http://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-show-arrow-flash-crossover-episode/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just learned that the CW is a sister station for CBS in a joint venture with Time Warner, so a crossover doesn't sound quite as unlikely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

It's not impossible, but CBS is paying more for SG so they might decide to not play ball if they don't feel like it.

Besides, in the SG universe, Superman exists and people already know about him. There is no mention of Superman in the Arrowverse. In my opinion, they can have their cake and eat it too, by making SG take place on Earth-2 or something. Then we could get Jay Garrick Flash as well.

They can also introduce the notion of Superman in the Arrowverse with some quick dump dialogue that no one blinks at.

Just to be clear, I don't think the chance of a crossover is very high, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

fadam posted:

I don't want this to sound like I'm flaming you or anything, but what about this appeals to you?
I like the idea of a strong female led superhero show, the closest we have to that right now is Agents of SHIELD, so DC dipping their hand into that well would be nice. I agree that the trailer had some cringeworthy moments, but the shot of the semi ramming into her and getting obliterated was enough for me to at least give it 5 episodes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Oh, I loving hated the "I'M NOT GAY" joke, too. Like ... what? Okay. Great, he misinterpreted her 'coming out' as a superhero as her being a lesbian. Cool. Thanks. Good poo poo, guys. :effort:

I hated that bit the most out of that trailer.

fadam posted:

Sure, but don't you think it's a little bogus that the first female led superhero show gets something like this as a first trailer?

Definitely agree that the trailer is pretty bullshit. The music choice and scene choices were really bad. My hope is that almost all of that nonsense is the first episode or two and they quickly move on to her just fighting crime. My biggest worry is that since they casted Calista Flockhart they will have to use her, meaning more terrible workplace conversations.

Harime Nui posted:

I love how loving meta they are about how un-grimdark Barry Allen is whenever they do a crossover of the CW shows. Ollie actually getting irritated by it is hilarious. :v:
*growling tone* This is serious Barry!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Will the show not premiering until November, I would guess they are still tinkering with some of the CG work.

It's a first look trailer, so I can't imagine the whole show will be Taylor Swift songs and "the name SuperGirl is empowering!" dialogue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

fadam posted:

Sure, and I agree that all this debate and discussion is largely pointless because who knows how the show is actually going to turn out, but aren't trailers usually consistent in tone and content to the finished product?

I stopped believing this a long time ago. Trailers can be very misleading.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Edit: Did everyone talking about how Supergirl is the first female led comic show forget Peggy Carter exists and was renewed for a second season?

Holy poo poo I legit did, and it's the best Marvel show.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Scyantific posted:

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Scyantific posted:

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

Scyantific posted:

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

Scyantific posted:

SO. MUCH. HYPE.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The showrunners are saying the first half of next season on Arrow and Flash will lead directly into the events of Legends, and the second half of the season will air at the same time as Legends.

So my guess is: catastrophic events (maybe starting with Arrow and Flash's season finales) lead to Arrow calling for some kind of Super Best Friends group to defend stuff together. Then on Flash and Arrow their own big bad's either work alongside Legends big bad, or are so dangerous they demand each show's hero to devote a large enough time on them that will prevent them from being in certain Legends episodes.
Alternatively, the second half of Flash and Arrow is just an extended crossover arc with Legends in the mix as well.

Hakkesshu posted:

I know basically nothing about these shows but why is The Atom just Iron Man with Ant-Man powers?
Atom was created a year before Ant-Man and was pretty much just a dude in a shrinking suit. It made sense in Arrowverse for Atom to build a super suit first and then figure out how to minimize later so that's why he was a poor man's Iron Man for much of the season.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

OR you could watch the trailer which directly talks about why they form the team.

Sorry I should have left off the why they formed the group, but I was trying to answer his question about Flash and Arrow being on 2-3 shows at once.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh, well that's because crossovers own, friend.

I'm with you there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Deadpool posted:

The only actor announced that wasn't in that trailer is probably going to be the other half of Firestorm. But he won't be Rusch since we've already seen Rusch on the show and it's not that actor.

Which actor by chance?

Also, has CW or the Flash production crew stated they don't have plans to re-use Jason Rusch in Legends? They casted Luc Roderique who's been on a couple CW shows (the 100, iZombie) already so I could see them re-using him but just keeping it under wraps for now.

Edit: Looked up the show on IMDB. Deadpool, are you talking about the character Jay Jackson and his actor?

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 14, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I can see that, I just can't decide if he's going to be "not-Cyborg" or not though. The backstory details they've released about that character sound so similar to Cyborg's.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

They also got practice with the Atom suit.

They're just going to recycle those shots with her superimposed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Powers has some weird details in it's universe, and is a bit inconsistent, however if you enjoy watching Superhero shows it's not the worst out of the lot. It took a friend of mine a lot of convincing before I gave it a shot though. Still on episode 6.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I hope Ollie just goes "Oh, right, Sara's messed up cuz we used Malcolm's magic spa water... I know a guy". No flashback explanations, just "I totally know a scumbag English wizard."

There will be no less than four episodes worth of flashbacks establishing how he knows Constantine..

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mortanis posted:

I think Rudy looks the part perfectly. I can't imagine this actually being good, but I'm still looking forward t it.

It really is a great bit of casting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Error 404 posted:

See, I don't care if they have to triple the truckloads of money for him, or have to wheel out the lamest deus ex machinas to explain him being there, I want RDJ to be iron man in everything forever.
Dude is too fuckin cool.

Special FX are getting to the point that this may be possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

After seeing Ant-Man I am convinced that in less than 10 years, actors will no longer be a factor in their ability to appear in movies.

Fixed

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Medium Cool posted:

they should have put a visor on the helmet imo

Diggle as "THE LAW" would be great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Heroes Reborn alone proves that 2 hour premieres should not be a thing

I'm excited to see Hiro again and they got rid of Peter, so it might not be so terrible.

Who am I kidding?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
TVIV is real mad about Gotham this week.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

To infuriate everyone that's still pissed about the Russian mob stuff not coming up, he's actually infiltrating an Irish gang.

Shocker!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
How tied into the Flash and Arrow stories is LoT going to be?

Any chance that the grave thing will be a mid season plot and since LoT is about fixing timelines or w/e they can resurrect the dead character as part of that?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

True, but it just feels like a shame that they didn't keep him close to the source material like they did with a character like Ras, especially with the direction the season is going. Something closer resembling the ideals of the original character would have made a great antagonist to Oliver's latest decision, but instead they took a complex character and reduced him to a one note forgettable villain.

Unless of course he comes back with a new found philosophical perspective since he got burned by all the existing power structures.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Is he going to come back with amnesia and a completely different personality?

After being burned alive and still ticking he absolutely could change his perspective on life.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Killing paramedics is a bad way to start a new life.

I mean he doesn't have be a murder loving torture hitman anymore. He could completely hate what the power structures around represent now that he's been spurned by the Villain Club.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My girlfriend is convinced the creature in the sand storm is Death since I told her Death was a character in Marvel last week.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Well all the signs saying "Death" and Will saying it was death in that storm probably help.

A black robed figure in the middle of the storm is what cemented it for her.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

Kind of curious about how picky DC is (I know they got rid Suicide Squad from Arrow because of the movie) when it comes to Fox and Gotham.

I think Gotham's only mandate is "no Batman, ever"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Except the showrunners have already said that Bruce will eventually suit up???

For real? When the show first started I remember reading somewhere that the only thing they couldn't do was show Bats.

I don't mind being wrong or anything, but can you link a source for that?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The showrunners never said that, it was Ben Mcenzie (Gordon). There were rumors that there was gonna be a 5 year jump between seasons but they're super in love with young Selina so they don't want to writer her out or some poo poo.

When her and Bruce hit their growth spurts that might change and what I'm somewhat expecting at some point. Maybe, Bruce's actor was cast based on family genes hoping he'll pop up to like 6ft4 lol.

redbackground posted:

"Stop right there, Son of Balloon Man! You thought that by distracting me with Son of Riddler and Son of Doctor Freeze, you and Son of Firefly could take over Gotham City!"

I make this joke too, but a lot of ages line up pretty well. Riddler might be the only one that's too old, but I'm pretty sure he's early 20's. So assuming Bruce is in full Batman mode by 20, it'll make him just over 30, Firefly was the same age or just a few years apart from Selina, and Freeze is an old man in the cartoon iirc. Jerome was at a good age too, but he dead now.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 29, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Remember when the Star Trek TNG producers thought Will Wheaton was going to grow up to be a beefcake?

Will Wheaton is quite handsome if he'd just shave. No beefcake though, I'll give you that.

Codependent Poster posted:

The real big thing I hate about Gotham and these villains is that it loses the question of if Batman created them. Once a guy starts dressing like a bat, then more crazy people in costumes and gimmicks start showing up too. Is Batman responsible for creating them in some way? That's a great question and can lead to a lot of good stories.

But Gotham is like "nah."

Also, Balloon Man.

i get this criticism, and it's one I've struggled with. The thing is, that whole "Batman perpetuates the evils of Gotham" theme wasn't always part of Batman's myth. He used to just be a Batdude who solved crimes. I feel like Gotham is trying to bring a lot of that into the modern era which makes it hard for some people to divorce that prevalent theme of modern Batman.

Ya'll keep hating on Balloon Man, but he was awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There was an issue of the animated series' comic that featured Phantom Stranger showing Batman a world where his parents lived and he never became Batman, and Gotham was an even bigger shithole, it's just some of the more colorful villains weren't so colorful.

Like instead of the joker with green hair and purple suit he's just a mobster? I'm trying to remember this episode and can't :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
NOOOOO MY READING COMPREHENSION

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

Here's a youtube clip of the episode I was talking about where a lawyer basically dismantles the villains claims that it's Batman's fault that they all turned out the way they did.

Starts around 1:02 mark.

:49 "You belong in here with them" - lawyer

*GROANS* "Whatever" - Batman.

cracked me up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"2 sides of the same coin" - Two Face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Maybe it slayed in the ratings last night and they'll take another look at it. I never watched the show because I saw it was a genre show on NBC on Friday nights and I was like, yeah that show is DOA.

I'm sure there are a lot of reasons why the CW passed on Constantine but I bet one of them was that Castiel is based on his style.

I watch Grimm and never gave Constantine a shot.