Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I am going to have to check out Arrow. I certainly enjoyed Smallville when it had wider DCU stuff in it. Now if it just was on Canadian netflix we'd be all set.

I jumped into the second season without having seen any of the first and it worked great for me (you can see it streaming on ctv.ca). It's obviously a CW show so it "behaves" a certain way and Oliver Queen could feel less like a Batman knock-off but they look like they're taking him in a cool, superhero-appropriate story and that is fun to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Arrow is also a super melodramatic show for teenagers, so everything you don't like about The Vampire Diaries and Pretty Little Liars is also present in Arrow.

Yeah, that is the CW part of it. A lot of characters entering a set, STATING their EMOTIONS, then the scene ends. It's just how any show on that network will be. That being said, everyone's soapy emotional stories do tie together.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist are heading on Netflix, culminating into The Defenders in 2015: http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Cabin In The Woods's writer/director Drew Goddard is in talks to write the Daredevil show for netflix.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

:negative:

Keep Whedon people far away from it.

They most certainly will not.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Twilight? fuuuuuuuuuck. Give me more Whedon alums.

Have you read a single page of those books? They were masterfully adapted.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Or more likely knows enough not to poo poo where he eats when he's eating there.

"So you okay selling book just took a poo poo on Superman? Welcome to cancellation and black listing club."

He had Hitman vomit on Batman's boots in his first issue. He really isn't down with superheroes, except Superman.
He just plays into his fascination with american myth and immigration ideas.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

What? Is this a thing?

Yeah, a lot of shows now try to air as many episodes they can in a row and have a mini-finale for the holiday hiatus.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Seasons 8-10 were okay as they were Justice League the TV show. The only problem is that Superman was not Superman, and all the other stupid poo poo that Smallville was famous for.

The whiplash of the show's direction from when the original showrunners (who never really cared about Superman, they just got lucky to be able to slap the Superman license on what would've been a male Buffy show) to the other producers is really funny. Clark is suddenly written as 10X more proactive and investigative as soon as the previous guys were out the door.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dexo posted:

Woah, lets not say things we can't take back.

Nah, it's true. Heroes was pretty much Lost + Smallville. They had raided the Smallville producers and directors team too. The whole show
was lit/shot/graded like Smallville but with a better budget.
The Smallville season finale during Heroes's 1st season had the smallest budgeted Clark/Bizarro fight and it was strangely, honestly
better than the culmination of Heroes season 1.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't say they'd care about that, more no way does Warner want relatively unknown tv actor headlining a film.

They're more in the market for relatively unknown Showtime tv actors for that!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Deakul posted:

I've just seen the Justice episode of Smallville and I gotta say, this show isn't nearly as awful as I was led to believe. :shrug:

It's not. There's some good stuff in Smallville. There's also some really bad stuff and some stupid stuff. The magic of Smallville is that all of those happen at the same time.
It's the only show I've watched where they needed to change showrunners in it's 8th season and they went "Hey, maybe we should make the main character proactive now?"

Amazing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Where did you hear this?

It's in the leaked sides actresses have used to audition. Superman exists in that world but all points to him existing off-screen.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The flashbacks have been pretty lacking this season and I think now should have been the time to spread them around other characters more.
The present stuff has LOADS of good/fun/cool moments but what leads up to them is muddled, character-wise, in a way the show has not been before.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

greatn posted:

You criticism is dumb and bad. This is not a show ashamed of its comic book roots or snobbily down to earth. And the fights have been pretty drat amazing even before ninjas show up.

If anything, the show looks at "secret ninja clan war" with exactly the same eye that it treats drug-running mobsters (hell, that business where you see them in jail felt
sillier and over-the-top than episode 7).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The "new" showrunners are already writer/producers on the show. Doug Petrie was on staff with Deknight on the Whedon shows way back when, wrote a lot of Faith stuff that was
always inspired by Elektra for him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I always thought this was the case. It's funny how he finds a way to say "Look, I just didn't want to do it. I never wanted to wear that suit!".

Which is fine, but come on dude, you wore the silliest jacket/fake superhero outfit ever!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read recently that one mooted plan was to do five seasons of Smallville then end it and bring it back the following season as Metropolis, which would have been a full-on Superman show, but it ended up not happening. Is that true or fanciful?

Not true, just a common fan-wish. The show was supposed to last 5 years or so, got sort of derailed by Superman Returns (they were building their own thing until they had to have their Krypton stuff in-line with Donner/Returns version) and then the show kept on going because it was popular, Supernatural-like.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He was great! So was Brandon Routh, for that matter -- just in a bad costume and a bad movie. Both of them embodied the kindness, approachability, and friendliness that Superman has to have (Hoechlin even moreso), and Henry Cavill's version never had and never will. The threatening, red-eyed, "THIS ENDS NOW" Superman (pretty much every time Jim Lee draws him) may be the prevailing version, but I think it misses the point completely.

Hoechlin plays his Superman (and Routh his Ray Palmer) as if he came out of Parks and Recreation, which is really fitting when you think of the show's tone.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The current Flash suit looks fine on Grant Gustin (the new helmet is iffy depending the angle) but looks real weird on Amell's buffer body.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

And as I've said, they make Manchester Black the bad guy for wanting to kill them after they Chuds of Liberty went around murdering aliens.

He's breaking the law and morally against Supergirl's methods but J'onn's fondness for him tells me we're not meant to embrace him as an out-and-out villain
more like a Punisher-type antihero (which is pretty much his role on the show).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

He had more of a TV background than I remembered, working on Lost and Heroes. That said neither would really inspire me with confidence to manage my entire TV arm.

I dont think Jeph Loeb even had a writing credit on one Lost episode.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
There is nothing that makes more sense than the Alt-Right coopting the Rorschach identity.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

site posted:

I'm questioning how he got from there to here

He's playing off the superhero/cops tensions of the Keene act from the original books. Every single thing we see
in the Comic Con trailer feels like an inversion or a twist on things that seep from the events of Watchmen. White supremacists
put on Rorschach masks to kill the cops (something that seems to happen in the Regina King character's backstory),
now the cops go masked to protect their identities--it's further ripple effects of how the existence of superheroes affected
"the real world".

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Tom Welling is officially showing up in Crisis on Infinite Earths playing his Smallville role, 10 years later.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It is loving crazy that the DC cinematic universe fell flat on its rear end yet the loving CW has managed to reach its own Endgame.

It seems crazy but it really isn't. The DCEU was masterminded by someone who wanted to emulate Frank Miller, but the CW shows
are made by someone who wanted to replicate Marv Wolfman and Gerry Conway.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Tyler Hoechlin's Superman and Bitsie Tulloch's Lois are my favorite live-action versions of these characters, I'm really stoked about this.
Making it "Young Superman Family" distances it immediately from other live-action versions too.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

All of these are entirely divorced from what he's saying and its context. Does Damon Lindelof specifically break people's brain?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

site posted:

i cant imagine how smooth your brain would have to be to watch star wars 9 and be like yeah lets get that guy

He is an incredibly succesful producer who hands it in on time. Rise Of Skywalker is terrible, but it was also made in half the time of a regular Star Wars movie.
Within the industry, he's probably seen as a miracle worker.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Medullah posted:

Well they do say the show is leading to Dr. Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3, both about the multiverse. Now that Disney owns Fox, maybe Pietro will show up.... but it's the Evan Peters version

I am convinced this will happen.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

hatelull posted:

Superman & Lois was a pretty good pilot. I never watched much Supergirl, but apparently this doesn't really do a lot of referencing to that show. Morgan Edge is a not nice guy I guess? I dig it. The CW bumps reminded me that Flash returns next week and I cannot recall anything that happened on that show post-Crisis. Mirrorverse drama and sad Barry losing his powers ... again?

Yes, but it was actually done pretty well.

There isn't any reference to Supergirl unless you count that Tyler Hoechlin appeared on Supergirl as Superman. It's almost like a separate universe, which makes sense
if you want to refresh those shows for new viewers.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It's probably a combination of all of these.

On one front, the Arrow/CWverse is long in the tooth and there's a lot of it.They probably want to create the next phase of it around a new flagship show and a new visual palette and tone for it.
Superman and Lois is not built around the workplace/team cop show in a scifi HQ structure of the other CW shows.

Also, viewing has changed since Arrow came up, so a lot of the newer shows will likely be made to be more streaming-friendly
with stronger productions values since they have to become attractive catalogue titles for HBO Max.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

site posted:

I just can't get over the the interviewer's idea she might've moved to Thanos' cabin on another planet

Especially since, visually, this just looks like the ending from the Ed Norton Hulk movie.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

site posted:

so how long until cgate pivots to complaining that calarts style has made he man too muscley

I believe there was already complaining the ladies were too muscled.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

alright fine, I'll post it here, don't blame me if it ends up being a legit spoiler:

the rumor is that Kamala's powers here are supernatural and come from her being descended from a djinn. the villains for the show are supposedly a very loose adaptation of the Clan Destine (yes, the Alan Davis characters), because of their shared djinn ancestry, I guess?

...can't say I expected that particular pull of characters.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Loved the finale, best Disney + show so far, best character debut since the first Guardians!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Rewatching it, you don't remember how many characters and stories they actually stuff in these episodes. The dialog and the performances are stylized in the best way for it too.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
She-Hulk has courtroom scenes, it's partly a legal comedy, but it's not (in its first 4 episodes) a rousing legal drama, it's something along the lines of Night Court, silly cases in the MCU.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Why does her hair get straighter and much longer?

Gamma transformation over-produces keratin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, it's weaker than the last two episodes and I imagine that with a show like this, you pick your "spots" where you pour more animation time in there.