Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah this was a good episode, I'm somewhat surprised the Sam is back working for the government though. Really cool to see them exploring more fallout from the blip, with that being used to deny the loan, and the discussion on how the avengers actually made a living.

Bucky's therapist mentioned the sessions were terms of his parole. It seems reasonable to assume Sam re-enlisted perhaps as part of the Sokovia Accords or a pardon for his fugitive status post Civil War. We don't really know what the status of the Accords are right now but they also mentioned them in WandaVision. But if they still exist then Sam presumably HAS to work with the government to stay active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm guessing we get them together next episode and our first hints of where Sharon and Zemo fit into the story. Along with expansion of New Cap and the Flagsmashers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, and they're both military so it makes sense for them to re-enlist after whatever pardon/Accords/Blip fallout happened. So far everything in Phase 4 has dealt with grieving or dealing with the consequence of Thanos and that kind of seems where we're at with Sam and Bucky. Bucky trying to personally recover from the hell his life has been and figure out how to adjust to life and make amends and Sam struggling with both the legacy Cap asked him to carry and the changes and struggles his sister has gone through these last 5 years while presumably mourning him. "Readjustment" seeming to be the key theme, which also kind of makes sense for a show about all military/spy veteran characters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

Thor, Hawkeye and Hulk are all alive and all three have confirmed futures in the MCU.

Vision is sort of back, Wanda is still out there as well. Carol will be back, Spider-Man is still heroing. I mean poo poo, at the end of Endgame everyone who assembled (heh) for that battle became an Avenger.
What does "becoming an Avenger" even mean, though? The question is less what heroes get to say "I'm an Avenger" and more who's actually around with the means, knowledge, and drive to keep The Avengers functioning as an organization? Their leadership very much appeared to be Tony, Cap, and Natasha in varying ways with a touch of Rhodey and maybe Vision. So yeah, maybe Rhodey is ever the soldier wanting to rebuild this but there's also obviously a lot of other issues and the Sokovia Accords and Rhodey's military status complicate matters.

So like "Are there even Avengers?" is probably a philosophical question. If aliens invaded tomorrow a bunch of heroes would probably answer the call. But there might not be anyone manning the phones or driving the issue at the moment.

omg chael crash posted:

I think it’s kind of funny that Tony did leave any of his billions and billions of dollars to the remaining Avengers. I figured people like Sam would be set up for life

I think its entirely possible that Sam does have some kind of government/Avengers stipend/pay. The issue obviously wasn't one of him being homeless and personally desperate, it was of his sister's family business struggling to go under during the blip and her having to make difficult choices in giving up what their parents built and now Sam wants to save that. He could be personally comfortable and still not personally have the money it would take to save a business, home, and boat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Too real that the implication here is that even when faced with the instant death of half of all life and the almost certain massive death waves that came immediately after due to infrastructure going haywire (empty cars going freeway speed, flying vehicles with no pilots, power and hydro stations with no staff, raging infernos with no one to put them out, instantly crippled medical providers, etc), the atavistic juggernaut of modern American capitalism did not slow down for a loving second, showed not one whit of mercy, and devoured every bit of capital and debt it could get its hands on. No reframe of how the economy should work, no financial amnesty for figuring out how to operate after an unprecedented xenocide, nothing. It's like a parody of the pandemic.

Yeah, there's this dual tragedy/trauma at play in that story. On one hand Sam's sister and kids had to mourn Sam's apparent death and live with that along with the rest of the horror of the Blip for five years and getting him back was probably a miracle she's incredibly grateful for. On the other side she had to spend those five years dealing with the cruelty of the business and the presumed negative affects the Blip had on it, especially a business that would seem directly affected by Thanos' snap, and she had to move on with her life. Now Sam's back and that's almost certainly a blessing for her but he also doesn't understand any of what she's been through the last 5 years or how harsh the world has been or how it has changed (or hasn't). So it creates this conflict and stress between them.

Its a potentially interesting story that can dig a lot deeper into ideas if it wants to. I'm curious to see how deep it goes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It turns out Thanos' plan was deranged and poorly thought out. Who knew?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Edit:^^^^^ Oh ok I get it now.

So I'm very hyped of course but why do they do this? Like it's not some major plot twist(well it probably will be) reveal that they'd need to keep his casting a secret but it's also not a character that a casting announcement is necessary for publicity. Like we're days, maybe a couple weeks, away now so why not just let it be a surprise?
From the article it sounds like he showed up on the MDB cast list as Patriot in January but was pulled, but now his talent agency is confirming he's in it but not his character. So I guess Marvel/Disney wanted to keep it secret but the Agency wants to capitalize on it? Given what we've seen with actors denying involvement in MCU films before its possible they couldn't say anything until after the show debuted? Or something? I dunno. But it doesn't look like Disney is purposely giving away the surprise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched the first couple of episodes the other day and it definitely feels more like a family drama than a superhero show. Its very much of the "Clark Kent who's job is Superman" variety than a show about Superman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

X-O posted:

I am somewhat shocked and surprised that someone actually remembered Battlestar when making this series. I expected Bradley showing up but not Battlestar.

I'm gonna be very quietly sad now when we don't get D-Man, Diamondback, and Nomad since we're dipped deep into the Cap's side characters pool.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sam's basically an affable guy who seems to try and just go along with stuff. Obviously h was free to walk out when he got frustrated enough but I'm fine believing Sam just went along with it because it was the path of least resistance and/or he was willing to try and help.

Like that's the part of the Sam/Bucky dynamic I really like and that got verbalized with Bucky's confession. They don't seem to really hate each other or anything. They just both obviously have a ton of self doubt and sense of what they owe Cap and they just remind each other too much of it. Sam feels like poo poo about the shield. He doesn't need Bucky telling him he failed Cap and can't live up to him. And Bucky doesn't need Sam reminding him of that kid he grew up with and how h might be disappointed and wrong about Bucky.

But despite all that poo poo they're still watching each other's backs. If just because its what Cap would want them to do.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its interesting now that the MCU is diving deep into the teenage hero thing to see how all of that plays out. Like the whole Tony/Peter dynamic was Tony trying to dad him. Do you just repeat that with Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel, Cassie/Scott, Kate/Hawkeye, Eli/Bucky&Sam, etc? Or do you just embrace kids risking their lives and use the general post Blip state of things to excuse why there's no Tony or Cap to come in and try and stop it? Or do you let it hit critical mass and then drop the mutants bomb and make it just something that can't be stopped? I'm curious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

The next series coming out is Hawkeye/The Better Hawkeye, so there's definitely gonna be that Kate Clint thing.

Yeah, I'm just curious if it becomes the new "formula".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Walker already has a long established alter ego beyond Captain America. I don't remotely understand why people want to see him become Nuke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Defenders do feel like characters you should just fold in. With the possible exception of Iron Fist there was positive reception to all of them and nothing bad did irrevocable harm. Could you cast a better Luke Cage or Daredevil? Yeah, maybe. Is it worth the hassle? I dunno.

The Inhumans are the real question for me because like Agents of SHIELD basically had a ton of them in a way similar to mutants and the Royal Family are kinda sorta important and that show was real bad. So I dunno what you do there. I'd love it if Chloe Bennett showed up in Ms Marvel and they just said "oh yeah, inhumans and terrigan mist has been happening and here's one more". But I'm not holding my breath.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, obviously they can just toss the mini series away and most people wouldn't notice. The SHIELD stuff would probably leave more of a mark but they could probably just do it and be fine. I vaguely feel like they don't want to just outright discard stuff because it kind of works against the brand that everything fits together and undermines the fan investment. But like... there's no real proof of that or anything so they can probably do whatever with the Inhumans, Defenders, Runaways, Cloak & Dagger, and anyone else.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Marvel can use the characters then I see no real hurdle to referencing stuff. And how much stuff would you even want to reference? If there's value in using the Defenders its in carrying over whatever fandoms they have to the MCU for your own stories, not continuing whatever stories they have. At most you might have trouble using footage in flashbacks or Legends episodes but like, why would Netflix refuse what is essentially advertising for their shows?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The GRC was definitely intentionally shown to be "jack booted thugs" at the start of that episode. That whole episode was constructed to make Karli's actions make sense, I think. We see Walker and the GRC act like troopers. We see Bucky and Sam compromise their values working with Zemo. We see Sharon question the entire hero thing. We see Karli's "mom" die with the chemist who made Karli a super soldier showing complete disregard for her. It all builds to Karli making her compromised action and killing the people she feels are responsible.

I still don't like it. I wish they had found a way to do that without her doing something that will be so difficult to walk back. But again, I think the morality and reality of all of this is still in question. People are making understandable comparisons to ICE or other real world parallels but we still haven't really seen the meat and potatoes of the GRC or how bad things are for refugees or what it is the Flag Smashers actually want. I keep going back to the fact that the Flag Smashers are the first and only people saying "it was better during the blip." Everyone else is saying the opposite. And I'm sure for Karli and co that is their reality. For them things were better and now are worse. But clearly for others its the opposite. And the Flag Smashers seem to have tunnel vision on things.

That definitely is fairly "both sides" and I get wwhy bugs people, especially when drawing the real world parallels. But I'm still kind of hoping we get more of the big picture revealed to us.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sanschel posted:

Loki and Gamora, right? Though I half expect something in the post credits of Black Widow that opens the door for her to return too.

I guess technically you could count Vision as three.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the Walker stuff is complicated at all. He's an entitled guy who is the best of the best and "earned" becoming Captain America and got all the fanfare. But he's failing. He got his rear end kicked by the Flag Smashers. Sam and Bucky rejected working with him. They've been a step ahead of him this whole time. He can't find the Flag Smashers. People don't respect him the way they should. And he's showing who he is under the pressure of it all. "Do you know who am I?!" is the same thing as telling Bucky and Sam "I put in the work." He doesn't get it. And its breaking him. And I'm guessing results in him taking the serum to compensate.

Karli and the Flag Smashers is more complicated because we still don't really know their full agenda. But Karli's obviously angry and sees the GRC as an enemy in a war. So she acted in that context. And that feels like an extreme, both from what we've seen and how her fellow Flag Smasher reacted but we still don't know. Nor do we know if the serum is affecting her mentally.

Its still in flux and feels deep in but we're half way through. If we see the series as 3 acts than theoretically things should come together by next episode's end I dunno if its gonna feel more cohesive but right now its shaping up as a lot of people who think they're doing the right thing but making moral compromises and failing in their goals. Something's gotta give for all of them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Same as when she's talking to Sam and calls the GRC people "robots" she'd kill again. Then when Sam reacts she takes it back. She's getting wrapped up in passion of her mission. The other guys are the enemy and other. But when it becomes real its harder. Or it should be if you're not a psycho.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zemo claims that happens but that doesn't make it true. People are putting way too much weight to the manipulative, sociopathic, obsessed villain once again. Blonksy was clearly an unstable bootsoldiers pre-serum. We don't know who Karli was pre serum but her actions have all been rational even if wrong. None of her fellow Flag Smashers are acting erratically and they've shown remorse and shock as Karli's more extreme actions. Red Skull was a nazi leader. Isiah is pissed off about being used and discarded. Bucky was a brainwashed POW.

The entire point of First Avenger was that Steve was chosen because he wasn't a hyper macho soldier or whatever, but because he was a little guy with a good heart and an idea of the strength of power and how its used against people like him. He's not perfect. Its not magic. They just picked the right guy the first time because they were trying. Hydra, Thunderbolt Ross, and the Power Broker didn't because they had different concerns. It turns out when you let bad parties choose their super soldiers you get bad super soldiers.

It should not need a sci-fi explanation why the nazis ended up with nazi super soldiers.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 10, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, we all know exactly the same. He got smashed, he looked dead, then everyone ran off mad/guilty. So its entirely possible he could be alive but no one knows the answer to that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've said it before but I'm not satisfied until we have D-Man, Nomad, and Diamondback. I want all the silly forgotten Cap sidekicks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now I definitely wanna see Cap, Michael Douglas Ant Man, Bucky, and Howard Stark find Namor and an Invisible Torch android.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Torch actually was an easter egg in one of the films? First Avenger during the Stark Expo scene? I swear I remember that because he was always oddly an obscure character I liked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would actually be hilarious if Marvel just went with the crazy and did like an entire season of What If based on Cap going back in time and kickstarting the MCU early.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do you want Cosmic Ghost Rider? Cuz that's how you get Cosmic Ghost Rider.

Why do we even have a What If series if not for tremendously bad wonderful ideas like that?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dawgstar posted:

Weren't we super close to a Mockingbird show?

Yeah, her and her partner got "burned" and written off Agents of SHIELD and they were supposed to have a spinoff on the run but it didn't get picked up and then she went to do that not Star Trek show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel%27s_Most_Wanted

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think so. Like there was a whole episode where they were written out in what presumably would have been the prelude to their series but it wasn't really any kind of pilot. It was a sendoff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah it kind of worked BECAUSE it was Val manipulating Walker's big dumbass excitement to be a super hero for whatever her shady agenda is. And Julia Louis Dreyfus goes a long way to selling its silliness.

I liked Sam's fighting style with the wings and shield. I like his costume even if maybe he could use a helmet. I guess Sam just doesn't like them but you'd think his ears would get cold. I love Bucky's whole arc. I dig Isiah Bradley's arc and hope it continues with his grandson. I'm real iffy on Sharon's but she wasn't much of a character before so I guess whatever. I'm bummed Karli's gone and didn't get a chance to try and redeem her mistakes and fight her righteous battles well. Her arc makes sense as the well intentioned hero who made mistakes and had failures and spiraled, but I was hoping she'd have more. Bummed about that. But overall a strong ending.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a bit like the "Darcy's a scientist?" thing from WandaVision. Its been 10 years for her. She certainly could have spent those 10 years becoming the best in her field. But its potentially a little jarring to viewers. In the same way I have no real problem with the idea that Sharon went on the run for 2 years and either got blipped or spent the next 5 years also on the run and she got jaded in her isolation and one thing led to another and she became a villain. Its just a tad jarring because its dramatically different from "Peggy's niece and Cap's love interest" and we didn't see any of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

People on the internet have pointed out that she has amassed an awful lot of weath, notoriety, and power for someone who just undusted so unless she immediately came back and usurped an established underworld boss(which maybe through her SHIELD training/intel/history she was able to do this quickly) she's possibly been the Shadow Broker all along.
My current theory is that she got a job where she could and then maybe a Dread Pirate Roberts scenario played out because Zemo, who has been in jail for years, has interacted(had trouble?) with the Power Broker and she's probably not old enough to have that history.

Even if she got dusted she's still got two years on the run. Cap, Falcon, Natasha, and Wanda were in Wakanda and doing good or something but Sharon could have spent the whole time on the run and in Madripor compiling wealth and power. And theoretically she could have shored that up well enough that it was still there when she got back, or was in good enough position to use the chaos to secure more.

Its all speculation, which certainly adds to the confusion and some people will always just form their opinion and refuse to see any other. But I dunno. It seems plausible to me that a super spy could pull it off in 2+ years. I kinda have this idea that she didn't get dusted but just used it to play dead and amass power. But just a baseless theory.

BrianWilly posted:

It's certainly realistic for her to have become more jaded and embittered by events, but again: she melted that guy's face. That's not just "a tad jarring." That's a vile, sadistic move and a very red flag.
I mean, she's a trained super spy of Nick Fury's SHIELD. I'm guessing she's killed "bad dudes" coldly before she went bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't know, 5 years is a long time and it was a turbulent 5 years.
Its a reach but like if you got your stuff secure enough and the right people all get dusted, it seems vaguely plausible. I dunno. I definitely like my "faked her own dusting" theory because it feels like the cleanest and most impressive explanation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the latter sets up the entire consequences of the film and T'Challa actively shows mercy/cooperates with authority three times with Zemo (the killer of his father), M'Baku after challenging him, and Killmonger after the coup/battle. So while we really don't have any clear sense of Wakanda's legal system we do see that its most recent ruler seemed to lean away from capital punishment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

muscles like this! posted:

Diggle is supposed to be showing up sometime on Superman and Lois as well.

Yeah, they were planning to do a big multi show crossover with Diggle but again, Covid killed that. He's still supposed to appear on multiple shows but its gonna be a lot more disjointed. They say he's not Green Lantern.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mobius said the variant was him, but not "Loki." So room for games.

Kid said the variant was the devil.

"God of Mischief" was mentioned a lot. Devil is often called the "Father of Lies."

Variant killed with fire.

Clearly... its Mephisto.

I'm sorry. I'm joking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a show filled with CGI green monsters so I don't really have a problem with Titania being CGI too.

site posted:

i don't know anything about the guy, was he jameela's size beforehand

She was scrawny and let Doc Doom experiment on her to give her power to push back on people. That's her on the right.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, that's my bad. I didn't realize you were asking about Kumail. I'm an idiot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

site posted:

i like the implication that dc is fine with kids watching harley with the absurd amounts of profanity and violence and assume kids buy toys of those characters because they watched the show, but batman eating out catwoman will cause kids to freak out

It just raises so many questions for me about that show I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

I know movie Cap was frozen before he even kissed a girl, but I'm betting comic book Cap got down. He spent a lot more time doing stuff like liberating occupied France. So you know, grateful French ladies and what not.

Cap got a kiss from Natalie Dormer, and that's a pretty good memory for the frozen days.