Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
God, Mutant X was garbage. And so different from the comics that didn't they sue Marvel to not have to pay for the name? Like, it was an off-brand X-Men rip-off. Change the terminology and it'd be as safe as Relic Hunter (lovely Canadian Tia Carrere-starring Tomb Raider rip-off).

Milotic posted:

Ah, that makes sense then. I knew there was a gravity-based villain (albeit from the EMH cartoon though for some reason I thought he was an original creation for that as well). Though the team would have to seriously tool up in terms of stuff like Hulkbusters and whatnot if they start going toe-to-toe with supervillains.

With Graviton, probably, though you could maybe work something where he's just a normal guy in terms of the punishment he can take, so sneak attacks work? And they half have their excuse with Ming-na Wen's character basically being an Agent 13/Black Widow/Mockingbird stand-in. They could even slip a line in where she was on the shortlist for the Avenger Initiative before she asked for desk duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

The Arrow show is really good. I just started it cause the first season was on Netflix and I love it.

Gotta respect it for going balls-out with the DCU stuff. Second episode of the season and we're getting a 3-way between Bronze Tiger, China White and Green Arrow (who uses green arrowheads, fletching, a green hood and green mascara...)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The EMH premiere with him is still one of my favourite moments from that show. He increases gravity to the point where none of the Avengers can get off the ground, not even Thor.

Then Hulk starts to get up. So Graviton redoubles the force he's putting on them.

Then Hulk starts to get up.

It does raise the question in the SHIELD series of if he's too powerful to actually bring back, short of having Hemsworth or someone doing a sweeps week guest shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, last I heard it was bleeding viewers. Complaint rescinded, then.

I think a lot of that was 'The sky is falling' after it dropped from the first week or two. Which is always, always going to happen and doubly so with a pilot pushed as an 'event' like SHIELD's was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dean Norris, if they're going with the 'built, not fat' concept.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

The problem with Dean Norris and Chiklis is that they're both 5' 7''.

Cast a really short guy as Daredevil?

Make them stand on a box?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

What if they went the opposite direction with Kingpin and made her a woman. Melissa McCarthy.

I actually think McCarthy could probably work in a bruiser type role, but at the very least her current screen persona's too coarse for the Kingpin, and I doubt Marvel Studios or Netflix are going to be casting too far out of anyone's comfort zone at this stage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I saw him on Under the Dome when channel surfing a couple weeks ago, and he seemed to be a class above the kid playing... his son? I think? It was embarrassing, this poor young guy trying to emote when he looks like the most he's been asked to do before is smoulder for a catalogue picture, and Norris running rings around him. It was like seeing two different shows cut together.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

The constant "Coulson's an LMD" references are getting a bit much. I'm half expecting them to play an ominous tone every time like Arrested Development

Payoff should be RDJ doing a cameo to reveal that it's totally the real Coulson, he just lied to Hill and Fury.

"What, a robot that's indistinguishable from a real person? What is this, Star Trek? Too many liquid lunches there, Nicky, but if you bought that, I got a bridge in San Fran?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Since one is going to die midseason or end up being a spy.

Nah, it's the England/Scotland thing. It's the same idea as having one be a preppy New Englander, and one from a small town in the South. They shouldn't get along, but they DO! Isn't that wacky?!

Waterhaul posted:

In more show runner news Melissa Rosenberg is circling the Jessica Jones series. She uh wrote the Twilight films and did a bunch of Dexter. She was also going to be the showrunner for aka Jessica Jones when it was being batted around a few years ago.

Makes sense, they probably used her pilot script to help sell the concept to Netflix. I can't imagine they're that lax that they'd greenlight a project without at least seeing one script.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Espenson was also a producer on BSG, and currently is one for Once Upon A Time. She also wrote one of the best episodes of Game Of Thrones' first season. It's not like she's been a total failure since Buffy ended.

Minear's working on American Horror Story, which doesn't seem to be bombing either.

Claiming they're all poison is being VERY selective in how you look at their career path after Whedon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hollismason posted:

With the DareDevil show I really hope they don't do Born Again as the first series, and instead adapt something like Bendis's run with him being outed. That to me would be more interesting.

I'm pretty stoked thought the only "bad" Netflix show so far is probably Hemlock Grove.

"Out" is basically the obvious place to go with Daredevil. It lets you make the Jessica series be that story where she's tracking down the runaway lesbian teenager, considering that story tied very closely into the Daredevil arc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

I know he legitimately doesn't like superheroes but at the same time I've never understood how things like this are somehow an unconscionable assault upon them, as if writers who wear Justice League underoos have never written goofy poo poo happening to these characters before.

It's the venom Ennis does it with. Like he not only thinks they're silly, but he thinks the ideals behind them are loathesome. The whole thing drips with a level of cynicism that's somewhere between off-putting and pitiable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They never said his last name just his first, so I dunno where you got Gold from. There's a couple of supervillians I think in DC that have that first name.

The synopsis for the two-parter with Barry Allen mentions the full name and clearly means that dude.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Well, I just watched that season 1 recap video, and I feel comfortable jumping into season 2. I desperately want to get into this show, but the middle of season 1 was just unbearable.

The 3 part finale to season 1 was awesome, if you've come this far, you should stick it out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Error 404 posted:

Or just watch those three episodes and move on to S2.

If I had to suffer Jessica de Gouw struggling to maintain her accent to the point that she forgets to emote, then so does he!

:colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. If you really dislike the type of show you're watching in season 1, it's not like the second is a totally different thing, it's a better version of the same show, all the same things are there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the whole 'no tights, no flights' was the biggest anvil around Smallville's neck after like season 3. At some point, they needed to bite the bullet, and either the showrunners, Welling or a combination of the two, wouldn't take the leap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Green Lantern, actually.

"What the gently caress Hollywood? Why did they make him white?!"

Granted JLU was cancelled by then, but it was running on plenty of channels.

Of course, we couldn't have the movie star a black leading man to prevent that because

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for this as someone who did not watch Smallville?

No-one seems to have directly answered this, so I will. Smallville was sold as the extended origin story, so the producers said very early on that you wouldn't see Clark in the suit, nor would he fly... actually, typing that makes it sound a lot like that Jon Peters story Kevin Smith tells... Now, if the show had a planned expiration date and end point, that would be fine. a couple of seasons of Clark finding himself, growing into the powers and responsibility and maturing, ending with him getting the cape and becoming Superman. The problems occurred when it became increasingly clear there was no definite ending being led to, so you have poo poo like Supergirl, Braniac, Bizarro and so forth being introduced and Clark still can't fly... except when he's under mind control or red kryptonite influence or something. Any rational person would've seen the fact that you're trying to put other superheroes in the show as the sign that no costume or flying has outlived it's usefulness, but as I said, the producers were unwilling, and Welling was also against it, so you end up with the clusterfuck that's been described. A show where Lois finds out about Clark's powers BEFORE he even has the costume. A show where Ultraman appears before Superman.

I'm not saying it's the only reason the show blew. But it's a massive indicator to the mindset that caused the rest of the awfulness.

JT Smiley posted:

I've never watched Supernatural, but I remember Ackles being the only good thing about the second season of Dark Angel. That guy is just oozing charisma.

Not in Smallville he wasn't. He was possibly the single dullest character on the show. And I'm including the lead. I think Kristen Kreuk was sucking all the screen presence out of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Jesus, is Tom Welling allergic to Superman costumes?

He 'didn't want to be thought of as Superman for the rest of his career'. Because playing Clark Kent for 10 years is totally different.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The character chat made me curious and I started looking on them, is it possible than pretty Waller started with Smallville? Other thing than I found odd is Adam's Knight character since I can see the comics' Talon being influenced by him (magical serum than reanimates the dead, he lived at the Talon).

Probably just :tinfoil: nonsense but I'll laugh my rear end off if Smallville elements actually wormed their way into the comics.

gently caress no, Pam Grier as Waller is pretty much the second best choice next to CCH Pounder. And she was at least 'TV' heavy (meaning she was a size 12)

And there's always been speculation that Adam started as an attempt to slip Bruce Wayne into the show, and the later craziness came when they realised they couldn't do the reveal and were stuck with a character who no longer had a payoff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And as I recall, the Kid was mainly there to lead into Stargirl's appearance.

I'll give you 3 guesses who wrote that episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I'm curious how Arrow will go, especially when they already have one Canary.

80's Justice League headband outfit, so no-one's happy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seriously, so jazzed about that, even if the cameos are hacked to pieces.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

So at this point it would take an even bigger rear end-pull than usual for them to beat Jessica Jones to production/air. Bravo, DC.

Depends how the Netflix shows are going to be produced. If it's simultaneously, yes. But it's more likely to be one at a time over the course of 2015 and into 2016, and it seems pretty clear that Daredevil's up first, so they could conceivably get a Wonder Woman show on in the '15 fall season if the Flash series goes well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hi liter posted:

Didn't want to being up comics chat in the TVIV Arrow thread, but does DA Spencer mean anything to anyone? Could it possible be this character who I had never heard of until someone in io9's comment section pointed it out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(Kate_Spencer)#Fictional_character_biography

Also, how many non-JL teams have had more than one member appear on Arrow as of the most recent episode?

The Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad have both had multiple members appear on Arrow. And the spoilered character certainly had that job in the comics, and is at about the level WB/DC seem to be happy letting the show play in, so it's pretty plausible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The show's also been pretty good at trying to do comics-esque costumes when they feel they can do so inside their aesthetic. Ollie's outfit, the Canary costume, Merlyn and the League of Assassin gear, Deathstroke, Deadshot, even China White and the Huntress are all pretty close to the comics, or would be recognisable takes by an artist.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Slade's arc in Arrow actually makes Deathstroke an interesting character. I love how good the show has treated Slade and his reveal at the end was trully awesome.
Also I feel like there is going to be some epically awesome fight between Slade and Roy before this season is done.

Roy's either going to be the cavalry, saving Ollie, or he's the sacrificial lamb, the superpowered dork who gets his rear end handed to him so that Oliver looks more awesome when he can win without powers. Probably the latter, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with Slade is that, stealing a gif from TVIV, he looks even better minus the mask.

Also since it's casting news, and there's no way BSS doesn't know who they are, Flash is following the Arrow route of having a poo poo load of villains showing up and have both Zoom and Killer Frost in the pilot.

It's eerie how they took a character that seemed nothing like the original at first and now he looks and in a lot of ways acts exactly like Deathstroke. The slightly greying hair is a great touch.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Zoom was pretty clearly hinted at in Barry Allen's guest spot on Arrow, and is pretty much the source of Barry wanting to be a hero, so it should be a very long term thing.

Yeah, time travel is kind of tricky like that. I do almost wonder if they're going to do Killer Frost or combine her with Captain Cold, because having two villains with very, very similar gimmicks seems a bit much, but you'd think Cold would've been the one to pick, being as he's the iconic Flash villain. On the other hand, having another woman in the cast is a plus, and probably why they picked that character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

That description got us Stephen Amell for Arrow and he's been doing a pretty good job.

gently caress it, Amell can be Constantine too. Build to a 'wacky misunderstanding' where they switch places due to a spell gone wrong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What's the status with Kree and Skrull stuff in the MCU, anyway? My assumption when they said she was an 084 was one of those, but I'd assume Skrull is with the FF rights package?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, named Skrulls in general (Kl'rt, Lyja, Paibok, etc) are F4, but the generic Skrulls are somehow still under the Marvel umbrella. One of the weirdest loopholes I've ever heard of, but there we are.

Wait.. so they could say, have A Skrull Queen, but if they named her Veranke, they'd be hosed? :crossarms:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

AMC has confirmed Preacher series produced by Seth Rogen an Evan Goldberg ("This is the End")

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/amc-confirms-development-of-preacher-with-seth-rogen-evan-goldberg-1201089897/

Is this just confirmation of a pilot order, or have AMC committed to a series?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...They better not be doing the Joker and NOT the costume. Because that way lies Jack Napier, and I don't know anyone, even people who like Nicholson as Joker, who thinks him being the Waynes' killer, or even having an important previous identity is a good idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Essen? That's thinking REALLY long term, especially if she's starting out outranking Jim. I'd have figured you hold that arc off until you get renewed and introduce her as his new partner. I mean, the character's most well known for an adultery storyline and being the second wife as a result of that, and you're starting out with him just engaged to the first one?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not until the salmon ladder is instrumental in the Arrow escaping a diabolical deathtrap.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's like two Batman villains in Arrow, everybody else is in the GA wheelhouse.

Firefly. Ra's. Deathstroke (well, Nightwing villain). Nyssa. Deadshot. Waller, kind of. KGBeast. At least one more that's an upcoming spoiler.

They've dipped pretty deeply into Gotham.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He looks like a budget Christian Bale.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Once upon a time Stuntmen were basically magic in the way transistors were.

Just being a stuntman qualified you for all manner of superheroics.

And, per The Fall Guy, regular non-super heroics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Meanie, I thought that was gonna be the Batman '66 set!