Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

This article is claiming that Marvel and Netflix are working on "Phase 2" of Netflix Marvel shows and that they are considering Thunderbolts.

That'd be a good way to keep Punisher, Bullseye, Elektra and any other anti-hero/popular villain around after their stints on Daredevil are done. Maybe Fisk could even weasel his way into leading them and be a Norman Osborne facsimile or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Madkal posted:

Last nights Arrow was a bit of a letdown. They introduced Anarky (Batman villain) but made him a one note hitman who likes to torture people, something that I don't think his comic counterpart ever did. It's a shame because they could have gotten some good mileage out of doing something closer to the comic character instead of making him a one note grinning arsehole.

The lovely thing is that Oliver and Felicity have that conversation on the way back in to Star City about how the city is still decaying despite everything they've done and Anarky doesn't line up with that theme at all even though he'd be perfect for exploring that theme. Maybe it's another case of use him before you lose him though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

By the by, the thing about science in The Flash is...well, the original comics starting very quickly getting into the kind of wacky plots that have come to typify the Silver Age. All I really ask from the show is that Barry not invent a new superpower that makes him God, then forget about it next episode and get chumped by a guy with a raygun.

Every episode of the Flash features Barry getting hit by a punch thrown by a person without super speed.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah Quicksilver is an angry guy because he literally can't slow down. The Flash can control the speed of his own thoughts.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The Bobbi/Hunter AoS spin off is back on.

Seems like a terrible idea unless the spinoff becomes the Marvel super spy show and Agents of Shield changes its name to Secret Avengers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Not really a rumor if the likes of Deadline and THR are reporting it. Finally, a Marvel show I don't have to bother watching at all!

Reminder that Bernthal thinks it's great rather than horrifying that a judge/jury/executioner vigilante character is a role model to much of the military and law enforcement.

What Bernthal thinks doesn't matter so much as the writers, directors, and showrunner.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Fair enough. Those are all completely valid points, though I completely lay the blame for Wally at the hands of the New52.

Jay Garrick is definitely a wet blanket of a character that they seem to be completely dragging along, and his portrayal is very, very dull.

The Patty stuff is really bad, because it is the same relationship drama crap every super hero show spends time obsessing over. So I agree there.

Patty/Iris very quickly reached Lana/Chloe levels in Smallville. Impressive that they accomplished that in half a season versus the few seasons it took Smallville.

That's the problem with a lot of these shows. They start from episode 1 having in mind that the main character already secretly loves another character and that they are meant to be together. But this seems to rarely work as they never seem to cast actors that actually have that chemistry together. And then another character is introduced and for whatever reason they just click on screen, but because it isn't where the writers have planned to go, we have to sit and watch them be cock blocked by bad writing, while the first pairing is smashed together like two dolls in the hands of a child. That's why I dislike relationship stuff in superhero shows.

Supergirl is pretty bad with this too. The whole "friendzoning"* of the nerd dude was very painful to watch (in a bad way), especially since within one episode they had Kara fawning over some dude she literally just met. It half made sense when it was Jimmy that maybe made her hesitate, but she does not hesitate to start dating the other dude at all.

*They literally call it this in this week's episode.

It seems like Arrow realized this and corrected it. Although Felicity went way over the line into an annoying character and they're now trying to walk her back a bit. I still do wonder if they're eventually going to torpedo Oliver and Felicity just so they can make the Green Arrow and Black Canary comic romance happen in a later season.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vision shows up out of nowhere in the first five minutes of the season finale, burns Hive into ash, and flies off. Chloe and Daisy are both out a job.

"Why didn't Cap call the Avengers in Winter Soldier/Stark call them in IM3?" Because it's comics.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

How is Ollie still paying for all his crime-fighting equipment anyway?

Felicity's golden parachute.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Quake written as a terrible Mary Sue character? The character who defeats Magneto in her first appearance with a snap of her fingers? Who was chosen by Captain America himself to lead Shield before she was legal drinking age? Quake loving sucks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Gotham already has an older sexy not-Catwoman so I don't know why they can't just do the same with Ivy.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bruceski posted:

And they gave her mind control powers. Was she killed off again or is she still out there?

I don't know man, I think Tabitha was stabbed with a sword by zombie Azrael and is now in a coma? I don't remember her having mind control powers but that sounds right.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rhyno posted:

AoS would be so much better if they cut it down to 13 episodes with higher budgets and cut a lot of the fat.

Network TV generally needs those longer seasons to justify higher budgets unlike premium or streaming though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Deathstroke hasn't been on Arrow this season, my guess is an Ollie dream sequence or whatever the aliens do to people.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotham Academy kids are too young to cast sexy supermodel-looking actors for though.

You ever watch Gossip Girl?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Did you not watch the whole thing?

Punisher is in a shot at the end but that doesn't confirm Punisher is in Defenders because it was a sappy trailer for all of the Marvel Netflix shows starring Stan Lee.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't have to read Korean to recognize the Defenders logo, I've seen these promos recycle old footage to pad new trailers, and whenever possible end on a surprise/twist to maximize hype. It's loving textbook.

There's no Defenders logo in that trailer.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Obama was right to call ISIS as ISIL because Isis was a cool Egyptian god and a cool spy agency on the show Archer and now that's all ruined for a while.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Bat-embargo thing is weird because you have Gotham over there using all the big time Batman villains no problem, but then Arrow has to kill of its version of the Suicide Squad in the cradle for some reason.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Enough about bad comics shows:

https://twitter.com/MarvelIronFist/status/1020126146208456704

nah, just loving with ya, it's iron fist S2 on Sept 7.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

site posted:

whats the deal with that living stuffed toy legends is advertising

Look, they combined Voltron with the climax of Ghostbusters and... well, let's just say the finale episodes of Legends S3 was an all timer.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Jesus Christ watch John Wick Chapter 2 you heathens.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fractalairduct posted:

"Disney and Marvel refused to comment"

where is this information coming from

From the reporter's sources at Marvel or Disney.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gripweed posted:

This show takes itself way too seriously while having the line "I hung up my katana for a reason!"

Colleen literally sighed as she drew her katana.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I mean, DC has a long history of this. Ra's Al Ghul. Poison Ivy. They have kind of a thing with taking leftist goals and making the person who wants to accomplish them a bloodthirsty villain.

Marvel did this same exact thing when the X-men turn the Earth into a post-scarcity paradise without armed conflict in 10 days but the Avengers talk with the president of the United States and decide that this cannot stand! - kicking off the Avengers vs X-men story.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

They've announced some new casting for Stargirl s2. Nick Taraby will be playing Eclipso and Jonathan Cake as The Shade.

Love some Nick Taraby news. He was utterly wasted as Captain Boomerang in like 3 or so Arrowverse episodes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Tatiana is She Hulk.

Tim Roth Abomination and Bruce are gonna be in it too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

A neat reddit theory I saw thought The commercials were referencing traumas from Wanda's past. Starting with the stark bomb, then strucker experimenting on her and pietro with the watch.

Reaction to this Wandavision spoiler:

oh poo poo

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Donuts are extremely substantial

that's just a famous donut shop in LA

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

My head canon is that the Vita rays are just nonsense that actually did nothing. Like Erskine was a brilliant scientist but he believed in vitamins being transmitted via light and Stark just said gently caress it instead of arguing with him. It's like people who eat silver now, but with lights.

In the comics Erskine developed a program of vitamins, diet, and exercise that made you into a super soldier if you adhered to it perfectly for 20 years. Too much effort though so he went on to develop the Serum. Erskine knows about the vitamins.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

That regimen? 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10 km run. Every day. No matter what.

It's true, this works folks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I didn't watch Jupiter's Legacy but the trailers did not make it look like a $200 million show. Holy poo poo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Boys gets an Emmy nom for best Drama but no nom for Anthony Starr? Robbed!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
New Episodes of 90s Animated X-Men?!?

OK, I'm interested.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm trying to do the calculation for what wealth threshold superhero has to be so they become sympathetic when they lose a single parent or both. Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark? Clearly above the threshold where they needed both parents to die. Kate Bishop? Seems we're getting mixed reactions here, her family should be poorer or they should have killed her mom as well. T'Challa is and Thor get the Royalty handicap, clearly beyond this threshold but only one parent dead for most of their appearances.

edit: the clear answer is Oliver Queen. Kate must go through 5 years of survivalist hell to atone for only losing one parent while being a wealthy superhero.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 26, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lmao the stuntwoman is still acting pinned to the wall with straight nothing there now:

https://twitter.com/hildadaniela/status/1508981058003357698

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It is darkly hilarious that most (white) Americans only learn about the Tulsa massacre and the Partition from watching super-hero shows. Like, I learned about Tulsa before Watchmen, but only barely and long after I left school, and I knew India and Pakistan were joined as a British colony and split when the Brits left, but no real clue about what that split entailed or that there was a poo poo ton of forced migration.

Hey man, some of us learned about partition from Trevor Slattery's award winning performance in a Gandhi biopic.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Thunderbolts capping off Phase 5 as an Avengers movie typically would is a good move.

Definitely feels like they're just ending Phase 4 because they feel like it, pretty aimless.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I feel the quality of Ms. Marvel dropped precipitously as it went. It started out in the first two eps as maybe the best MCU show but was sub-CW Arrowverse in quality by the end in my estimation.

Anyway, hope Secret Invasion can turn it around and build a larger audience by turning in some great and thrilling episodes. Get some word of mouth going like Andor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

WaffleZombie posted:

Um, are we even sure about that? It's just one scene, but the audience sees her in her Skrull form, and he doesn't. Yes, he could be married to a Skrull, but he could also be married to a human that has been replaced by a Skrull. Did I miss something that defined that one way or the other?

Secret Invasion Ep 2 stuff -

I believe that's the same skrull woman who brought kid Gravik in at the beginning of the episode. They've known each other for quite some time. I think Fury knows she's a skrull. It's understandable that she would feel comfortable enough to hang out in her true form in her home, but switch to her human form whenever she hears somebody come in. If she were an infiltrator? She'd probably stay in human form 100% of the time.