Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Set it up right on your router and it works for everything

Yep, I've done it, and it was quick and easy. EU Netflix sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

For best results he should be a green screen puppet like Slimer and not CG.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

jng2058 posted:

They're playing the long game. That's how all the Joss shows worked, with clues and hits scattered throughout the first half of the season followed by a ratcheting up of pressure in the second half and a blowout in the season finale. Even if you have doubts, as I do, about how much Joss is still involved in the show, the remaining principles all worked on Spartacus and that had much the same structure.

If that's not to your individual taste, well that's fair. We all don't like the same things. But if you're expecting the show not to be playing the long game then you're ignoring the history of the people making the show.

That's fine. I just wish it was better now and not at some nebulous point in the future.

It's not bad, but it almost immediately squandered its own potential in favour of being as safe and inoffensive as possible. I guess the same could be said about the Marvel films, but at least they had more energy and creativity to them than this has had so far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Apparently Wakanda can be seen on a map in Iron Man 2.

I highly doubt they'd actually use Latveria since they don't have the rights to Doom.

I think they theoretically could, since movie rights and TV rights are separate, hence why they can still make cartoons with Doom in them. They probably wouldn't want to break any type of movie continuity, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is really cool. All of these heroes make way more sense on TV than they do on the big screen, so I'm glad they're not trying to force an Iron Fist movie or something when it probably would never be a huge success. Netflix is a really interesting partner, too.

Agents of SHIELD is heavily flawed, but there's so much potential in this space and it's really exciting that they're getting behind it in such a big way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

He got surgery to halt the acromegaly in 1992, his health actually isn't an issue.

Well, he is overweight and also a wrestler, so his life expectancy still isn't that hot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Soonmot posted:

How much TV do you guys watch? I haven't had TV on my TV for around eight years or so. I have netflix and my bluray player, so I don't actually watch many TV shows.

I ask because so many of the complaints I've seen directed towards SHIELD sound like some of the complaints I've made about comics when someone new to the hobby has asked "Why is this comic so hated."

I enjoy SHIELD so much. It's a weekly dose of live action Marvel. I think Ward is a little stiff, but I love Coulson, May, Fitz & Simmons and even don't find Skye annoying. Is this just a by product of me only watching three or four tv shows?

I mean, as someone who watches a lot of TV shows, SHIELD ranks pretty low. The acting isn't great, the plotting feels almost irrelevant, the quippy dialogue grates sometimes. I don't think it's a bad show by any means, but it feels very early 2000s in tone and style, before networks realized that they didn't have to settle for cheap-looking monster of the week shows.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I'm wondering what people see in May. I like Ming-Na, and I keep waiting for her to do something, but she just stands around looking sullen and talking about how her past is dark and mysterious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Good, 99% of it was done just for shock value and did nothing but distract from a good story with good characters.

It's AMC. I'm sure there'll still be lots of violence. But if the show tones down the most Ennisest stuff I won't have a problem with it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I got back into comics like two years ago and I just find pretty much all of Ennis' stuff insufferable. I couldn't even get into Punisher MAX. He's almost as bad as Millar to me.

Edit: Okay, maybe that's harsh. Mostly I just find Ennis' stuff really lame and mean-spirited, while Unfunnies is basically the worst thing I've ever read.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 17, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

AMC should get a Boondock Saints reunion going on Sunday nights, cast Sean Patrick Flannery as Cassidy.

He's the spitting image.

He was on the final season of Dexter and he basically looks 30 years older than that now. And he's made of stretchy leather.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ufarn posted:

Sony said today they will begin to focus on TV from now on. Does anyone know whether they have any comicbook IPs aside from Spider-Man?

They still have Ghost Rider too as far as I know.

Edit: Nope, it was regained this year. So Spider-Man is all they have. And Men in Black, which is also a comic book IP (I think Marvel might even own the comic rights to MiB, still?)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 21, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure either Marvel or DC or, indeed, the entire comics industry as we know it will exist in 20 years. I rather expect to see a mass die off of comic shops and the extinction of dead tree pamphlets with 22 pages of content for $4. It wouldn't surprise me to see both DC and Marvel only publishing online and that just enough to maintain copyright over names and concepts.

Comics aren't even sold outside of dedicated shops in most of the world now, whereas 15 years ago I could pick up a Marvel comic in any convenience store. Print is loving dead any moment now and the sooner the Big Two realize that and capitalize on a digital revenue model and reorganize the way they view that market, the better off the industry will be. The fact that variant covers as a marketing strategy is a thing that exists in 2013 is nuts to me.

Digital comics are great and all, but they need to take it a step further and come to terms with the idea that the only people who buy 5-10 single issue comics every week for $3/4 a pop are insane nerds. Something cheap and easily accessible like Marvel Unlimited, but with actual new stuff on it, should be the norm.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

So, if Deadline's sources are good, it looks like the Agent Carter series is actually happening.

I'm honestly baffled by this, because judging from the One Shot, it'd literally just be a period version of Agents of SHIELD. Even with a stronger protagonist than Coulson, whatever happened to differentiating your shows?

Does anyone on this planet care about Peggy Carter? I mean really?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Captain America? :v:

But no, I agree. I really liked her character in the movie, but she wasn't some huge breakout star that I could see as the lead on a TV show at all.

It just seems like a weird decision that is probably doomed to fail. I barely remember her character from the film, why do they think anyone wants a full show about her? It's like Marvel is just throwing poo poo at a wall to see what sticks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Trast posted:

Taking a shot at a female lead action/adventure show isn't the worst idea in the world to try in that format.

Nah, but something like the Jessica Jones show makes more sense in the context of modern TV. This seems like something that could maybe have been successful in the early 2000s, but probably not today.

Of course that also describes Agents of SHIELD.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This might fall on deaf ears (understandably so), but yesterday's Agents of SHIELD was legit awesome. It was just a really clever, fun spy show with actual emotion and creativity shown by the people involved.

I mean as a whole the show still has a ways to go, but this episode was the first time it actually made me feel something and wasn't just 45 minutes of complete blandness.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess Syfy is going to make a show based on DMZ. I've never read that, is it good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

That was another huge problem with heroes, they were all overpowered as gently caress. If they kept powers sort of small with huge threats being overpowered and therefore they all had to team up to stop them. However, nope they make most of the main characters stupidly powerful. I mean Peter and Sylar were as powerful or more powerful as Silver Age Superman. poo poo now I wish Peter was able to shoot out tiny Peters of his hands to help him.

They were more powerful than the budget of the show would allow, which lead to that awesome showdown that went on entirely behind closed doors.

Man, that loving show. I'd like to think that TV in general has progressed so much since it first aired, so they couldn't possibly bungle it again, but fuuuuuuck.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It really isn't a bad show, it's just bland. The episode prior to this one was pretty good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought about the implications of turning Skye into Carol Danvers as well, but I can't really see that happening under any circumstances. It isn't a superhero show, it wouldn't make sense. Of course they could take the show in a different direction based on the negative feedback, but I'll eat my hat if Skye ever starts wearing a costume and gains the ability of flight.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, and I'm sure it's on the official Facebook page too #jointheconversation

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just caught up on SHIELD and yeah those three Cap 2 fallout episodes were really loving good. The last one with Blackout wasn't though, so they're not out of the fire yet.

What they did with Ward was really the best possible direction for that character. Spy Randy Orton.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man-Thing is never going to loving appear on that show, it's just a cute little gag.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Looks fairly dull and lifeless, I have no real interest, but man is that a quick turn-around. It doesn't feel like it was announced that long ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't even know what they're going to do with Agent Carter. Like, what's the hook there? It just sounds like more prequel poo poo in an era that was already depicted as being supremely uninteresting in the films.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Thing about the netflix shows is that they won't be on the radar as much as any network shows

I don't know about that, something like House of Cards is hugely popular.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know that I agree it looks fantastic, but it's good enough to where I'll probably check it out. In my mind it has the same problem that every other occult/horror style TV-show has in that it looks incredibly cheap. Not that it isn't understandable, and with that said, I could go for a darker, bleaker version of Supernatural.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

So what's the alien?

Why is that important to know right now?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Much stranger things have happened than a show being crappy for its first season and being amazing for the rest of its run. Even after its turn-around I wouldn't call it great, but they did at least legitimately try some creative, daring stuff, which is more than I can say for most generic network action/spy shows of this caliber.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh god when I heard it was someone from Boardwalk Empire I was immediately "please be Harrow", but he's probably aiming higher than a superhero show.

I guess this guy is fine, too. I didn't care for him on BE much, but I can't imagine he'll do a bad job.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's an interesting choice. D'Onofrio plays a pretty good intimidating underworld crime boss in The Salton Sea.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Avengers are not going to show up in Alias, c'mon, they'll change it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd never heard of Pukeko Pictures so I went to their site.

I really hope it's not 3D, because goddamn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_5GEeHEkQI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heroes was a bad show, but I honestly don't think this is a terrible idea. I hope it's good, TV in general is in a different place than it was then, so maybe they learned something?

I bet Masi Oka returns as well. Not like he's doing anything noteworthy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who's not very familiar with Hellblazer, I didn't think it was very good. Definitely reminiscent of Supernatural, but not nearly as confident or fun as that show.

It feels very mid-2000-ish in that it's corny as poo poo and a lot of the sets/editing/effects look cheap as hell. Also their attempts at shock horror are downright laughable, goddamn.

Main dude's pretty good. You can tell he enjoys the part, and he has some good mannerisms and tics already. The female lead is awful, though; she's one of those paper-thin audience surrogate characters like what's-his-face from the first Hellboy, and she cannot act her way out of a paper bag. There's absolutely no personality there.

I'll probably check out a few more episodes to see if it improves, but right now I'm not impressed. The only thing it really has going for it is the main character, but I don't know if he's good enough to salvage the rest if this is all they can muster for the pilot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton >>>> anything in that Constantine pilot, I'm sorry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I thought she was easily the weakest link in the pilot, so good on them for trying to make it better, I guess.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While it hasn't been as prevalent in recent years, pilots change cast and even plot around all the time.

Case in point: The Game of Thrones pilot had a very different cast (Catelyn and Daenerys being the notable ones), along with a GRRM cameo we will never see. I think they reshot more than half of it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I always forget that Buffy was a sort of pseudo-sequel to that awful film starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Er, it's obviously not Gambit, but that sounds like Gambit. I'm guessing it's just a new character?