Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gaz-L posted:

It does raise the question in the SHIELD series of if he's too powerful to actually bring back, short of having Hemsworth or someone doing a sweeps week guest shot.

That's the classic battle, though. The totally outmatched hero(es) against an impossible foe who they beat through a combination of skill, luck, planning, and the villain's hubris. The Fantastic Four vs Galactus, Spider-Man vs Thanos, Dazzler & Psylocke & Longshot & Rogue vs The Juggernaut, Squirrel Girl vs Doctor Doom. And so on and so forth. Frankly, I expect to see Ward, May, and Coulson sidelined pretty quickly and have it come down to Skye stalling him while FitzSimmons comes up with the final answer. The fact that they were hsi students adds pathos to the encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

The next issue is Moonstone and the Thunderbolts finding out that Graviton decided to turn part of California into a floating island with his face on it and give the power of flight to basically a group of mallrats. The man is just built pathetic.

Which is why the new version for AoS is such an improvement. He's got a cause and, even if his methods were brutal, his basic point is more or less sound. There 's a lot of dangerous poo poo out there and fighting to keep people safe is exactly what SHIELD is all about. It's just that after the Battle of New York, Hall's decided that SHIELD itself can't be trusted and so he's got to take matters into his own gravity powered hands!

It's much better than "loser who lucks into godlike power" angle from the comics. This version of Hall is basically Magneto, a supremely powerful guy with a good point and a "ends justify the means" point of view.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We'll have to agree to disagree, because to me it's much more interesting to have a villain with depth and a reason to do what he does rather than a moron with superpowers. The latter is a one episode and done affair while the former is something that can become an ongoing tragedy if handled correctly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Through four episodes of Arrow you had...Deadshot. So yeah, not really any more than Agents did with Doctor Hall.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

They're playing the long game. That's how all the Joss shows worked, with clues and hits scattered throughout the first half of the season followed by a ratcheting up of pressure in the second half and a blowout in the season finale. Even if you have doubts, as I do, about how much Joss is still involved in the show, the remaining principles all worked on Spartacus and that had much the same structure.

If that's not to your individual taste, well that's fair. We all don't like the same things. But if you're expecting the show not to be playing the long game then you're ignoring the history of the people making the show.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Skye's quite about SHIELD and the Battle of New york was in the first episode when she confronts Mike in the diner. The thing is, what she actually said was: "They knew about the Battle of New York before it even happened, and then cleaned it up before anyone could ask any cool questions!" By which we can infer that they grabbed all the alien corpses and technology before anyone else could since obviously everyone knows about the Battle of New York. (Or else Mike would have been asking "what battle?")

Indeed, when we first see Ward he's recovering some Chitauri technology from the guy in Paris, so obviously that effort is ongoing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

It's a guy in jail. :shrug:

They didn't mention a name so it could be anyone. We don't have enough data just yet.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

So it looks like the next Agents of Shield is on the 19th and will have some connection to Thor 2, which no doubt will be a minor reference.

Phil what are you doing?
Oh I'm just reading my email from Thor.

Not quite. The next episode is next Tuesday, November 5th. However you are correct that the November 19th episode will directly connect to Thor: The Dark World in some way.

Given that troubles with SHIELD plays a big part of Captain America: The Winter Soldier I'm rather expecting a big Agents of SHIELD connection...maybe even the season finale...leading into the movie. I mean, hell, if they'll find a way to shoe-horn the Thor movie into AoS, how can they not do it even more so for a moive directly related to SHIELD itself?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah the second Hourman started off using the same drugs as his dad, got addicted, then got cured of the addiction by a time travelling android who gave him a "Tachyon Hourglass" that let him see an hour into the future.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Vertigo is almost dead, anyways.

Especially with Fables and its related tie-ins closing up shop soon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well with 13 episodes to play with, I think he could get a lot of mileage out of Born Again if he's smart enough to show Daredevil at his peak for the first half season or so, then do the fall and resurrection for the second half of the season. Born Again worked in the comics because DD had been around for years and people had gotten used to his status quo. If you don't establish that for new viewers first (and no, the Affleck movie doesn't count) the story doesn't have the proper impact when you wreck his poo poo.

Ideally you'd set up DD for the whole first season then do the fall and rise again in the second season, but who knows if there will even be a second season of Daredevil after The Defenders and anyway the whole "Matt Murdock against the World" thing doesn't work as well if he's got teammates to help bail him out. So if you're going to do it, I guess you've got to do it in one go and the best way to do that, it seems to me, would be to do it over a season with the first half being general DD stuff (including loving over the Kingpin a couple of times to build up the hate) then it all crashes down around episode 7 or 8 then concludes with Matt's redemption by the end of the season.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Also I've found Agents of SHIELD to be perfectly reasonable entertainment thus far and, in particular, I've thought the last three episodes have been showing an uptick in quality as the writers get used to the characters and start revealing more about them. Simmons and Fitz in particular got more spotlight time in the last two episodes, which was quite nice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

This week's AoS was still kinda dumb holy poo poo

The constant HEY GUYS, MYSTERIES! YOU ALL LIKED LOST, RIGHT? GUYS? WHERE ARE YOU GOING? is wearing really thin, and the characters are all just so loving boring that I really don't give a poo poo what happens to them. The one good thing about the episode was the fake-out where you think the Armenians (or whoever they were, I wasn't really paying attention) are torturing Fitz, but he's just fixing the fusebox. I just feel like the plot is being driven forward by people making bad decisions, and not even in a cheesy "Oh I learned a lesson there" kind of way. At least that would give some sort of payoff.

Dude, we're seven episodes in. They gave us Skye's hidden agenda in episode FIVE. They advanced that "secret" in THIS episode. Lost took years to make that much progress. They were still loving setting up mysteries, not advancing them at this point in Heroes. gently caress, they barely scratched the surface on the mysteries they were messing about with by the seventh episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Compared to similar shows, Agents of SHIELD is racing through it's mysteries. On any other show we wouldn't have learned Skye's family thing until season three!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

So you cancel the Young Justice cartoon because of "reasons" and then decide that a logistically more difficult live action version would be better for other "reasons". WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.

Honestly, I'm not sure either Marvel or DC or, indeed, the entire comics industry as we know it will exist in 20 years. I rather expect to see a mass die off of comic shops and the extinction of dead tree pamphlets with 22 pages of content for $4. It wouldn't surprise me to see both DC and Marvel only publishing online and that just enough to maintain copyright over names and concepts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well, named Skrulls in general (Kl'rt, Lyja, Paibok, etc) are F4, but the generic Skrulls are somehow still under the Marvel umbrella. One of the weirdest loopholes I've ever heard of, but there we are.

Wait a minute, how can that be right? I thought the reason they ended up with Chitauri instead of Skrulls in Avengers was because they don't have the rights to them! :confused:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

SWORD did show up first during Whedon's time on X-Men. Abigail Brand being a very Whedon-esque character who ended up dating The Beast for awhile. Pity the SWORD series never took off, it was pretty good.

What you may be remembering was STRIKE which was the British counterpart to SHIELD. Betsy Braddock was a member of STRIKE's Psi Division before the organization was wiped out and (much later) Betsy went from an English Telepath to Japanese Ninja with psi powers.

Personally, I thought the English Telepath was the more interesting character, but that ship sailed in the '90s.

As far as STRIKE is concerned, they got destroyed in the 1980s Captain Britain book and eventually were replaced by the RCX who were sorta allies sorta enemies of Captain Britain.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah it's sneaky as all hell and takes advantage of the fact that people like us will read the credits and make assumptions based on that. I too was snowed in by the Dourif credit and it was a nice surprise when things didn't work out the way I expected.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Now if they really wanted to make the audience care? Make Coulson be the HYDRA traitor and set him up as the show's big bad from then on!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well drat, that'd have been cool. Of course if it meant he was taking of the Sitwell role he'd get squished by a truck which would have been a shame, but still it would have been interesting!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Uhhhh, I hate to tell you, but Game of Thrones has been thoroughly spoiled. You can go online and download incredibly detailed descriptions of like, the next three seasons.

For that matter, a number of the actors have admitted just buying the book to find out what happens to them. Granted, some haven't, but it's not like they can keep the actors from reading books that have been out for over a decade. Hell, some of them may have read 'em before they were even cast!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I will never understand how the Tv show that's a faithful adaptation of a very popular best-selling book series spawned a fandom so psychotic about avoiding spoilers

Sadly, its because not many people read for pleasure anymore. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I haven't tired watching the show either, because I'm not a nerd.

You're posting on a forum for a comedy website in a specific section about superhero television shows. Sorry, that's way more nerdy than "I watch a popular TV show on HBO."

Don't self hate, accept your nerdity and move on with your life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mister Nobody posted:

Not to resurrect all the acronym talk from way back (even though that's exactly what i'm doing), but I am pretty sure SWORD as an organization preceded Whedon by a long while.

I remember them showing up in that X-force arc where they go on a road trip and end up in a town with dying mutant kids or something morbid like that.

You're thinking of The Sword, a bunch of Deviants who fought X-Factor-Force. S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient Worlds Observation and Response Division, ie "someone really wanted out initials to spell SWORD") the anti-alien counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D. did indeed get created by Joss Whedon in 2005 during his run on X-Men.

Pity the SWORD book never took off, I rather liked that one. :sigh:

e: Getting the right friggin' X-Group

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 21, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oh there's a chance they could make it awesome. But if they did, they'd cancel the fucker after one season because it was too expensive.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Gotham still does nothing for me. Unless they do a time skip at some point, Bruce is just too young to get interesting. He's, what, ten years away from being the Bat? More? I can't get excited about them doing the uninteresting stuff before the character gets cool.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I watched the whole first episode, said "Nope!" and never looked back. I'm told that the last season of Smallville was basically the JLA the TV Show or something, but I simply couldn't find it in me to care.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

That looked good. When the only quibble with it that I can come up with is to echo the "his coat is too clean" complaint? That's a good sign.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

That's not a trope or even cliché, it's how anyone who got awesome super powers would act, give me that any day over moping around because I'm Superman.

Seriously. I'm so incredibly tired of "Oh, I've been given godlike powers that can change the world. I'm a FREAK now!" and other similar Refuse the Call bullshit responses. That "Yeah!" alone made me far more likely to watch The Flash.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

I wonder if they're going to go down the whole "Speed Force" route?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking about Thor 2, when Wright's departure was announced, and wondered how much of a trend it was in Marvel movies.

And Thor 2 was such a bad movie, which makes one wonder whether the change was for better or worse.

Says you. I rather liked Thor 2. There were some great character moments and the final fight was pretty creative.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Yeah I mean I really don't see how you do Jessica Jones and not touch on Purple Man. That's a pretty major part of Alias, and I don't see *why* you'd do Jessica Jones without drawing on Alias.

Well the how is easy, you can substitute Jewel (if they even keep that as her old codename) getting defeated by almost any villain you need her to for purposes of the plot. All that is really required is that Jessica got defeated badly enough to break her self-confidence and make her quit being a superhero. You could just have her lose a fight and end up in the hospital for a couple of months. Hell, they could even do a Gwen Stacey and make the break point her failing to save someone precious to her. Maybe a born-to-die boyfriend or some such1.

You don't need to have the rapey sorta sex slave sorta not Purple Man thing. And depending on whether they're going for the more adult audience that Netflix allows or are keeping it in line with the rest of the MCU at PG-13 or so will probably decide that. If they're going darker and more adult, probably Purple Man. If they're keeping it MCU? Well I'd say that the villain who beats the superhero out of Jessica will turn out to be the main villain for The Defenders in season five.

1 = Like Sydney's doctor fiance on...wait for it...the old spy show Alias.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'd argue the mind control part is more critical because drawing a beat down from the Avengers proper informs a lot of her relationships with the cape community.

That's....a pretty good point, actually. Yeah, fair enough. Except that the odds that they'll have the cash to get the MCU Avengers together for said beat-down seem logistically nightmarish, especially since the MCU Avengers don't actually exist as a permanent team to go fight. They existed for like an hour to fight off the Chitauri and then disbanded again. I guess, since Jessica Jones will air in 2016 after Avengers: Age of Ultron, that may change though. (And if they're smart, they'll have a throwaway cameo of Jessica as Jewel doing her bit in A2.)

Still, if you keep the "mind controlled into fighting for evil" thing, it doesn't have to be Purple Man and the pervy way he treats Jessica, right? It could be Mesmero...no, wait, he's an X-villain. Umm, Mandrill? No, he only controls women and has the same creepy sexual thing going on that you're trying to avoid with the Purple Man. Dang. Ringmaster from the Circus of Crime? No, he's even sillier than the Purple Man.

Hmm, this is tougher than I thought. :eng99:

I guess you could either...

1) Keep the Purple Man and just reduce the sexual element to try and make it less creepy.

2) Make up a new mind controlling villain and then do the story as it is.

3) Use the "I've got your boyfriend as a hostage, go fight the Avengers or he eats a bullet" and then have him die in the end anyway routine. That might go.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

It just occurred to me that being an Eye cam victim would also work.

Well since she can't be a mutant, Jessica will have to get her powers elsewhere. Could go with her being a Deathlok who's on her own now that Garrett's part of HYDRA's been dissolved.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Huh. I always thought she was a mutant for some reason. But yeah, my Google-Fu says you are correct. How'd I miss all that? :doh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Not unexpected after all this time but still disappointing. :sigh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

:sigh:

I mean...look, I know there has to be someone for which Heroes Reborn is good news. But there are so many shows that were so much better than Heroes, and they aren't getting brought back. Firefly, Pushing Daises, Almost Human...and that's just off the top of my head. If I sat down and really thought about it, I'm sure I could fill the page with good shows cut down before their time to bring back.

But Heroes isn't on that list. Heroes was a bad show with one (mostly) good season and the several more that were garbage. It deserved to be canceled. Bringing it back for no other reason than "superheroes are hot right now" when you ran out of meaningful things to say after the first season? That's a recipe for disaster and I expect that's exactly what we'll get.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So I caught the leaked pilots. Spoiler-free thoughts:

Constantine was pretty good. It is, as others have mentioned, oddly paced. It feels like it's rushing some of the time. Still, no one should expect a pilot to be perfect, and this one captured the essence of the character and his world.

I really enjoyed The Flash. While there's a bit of CW-ness that was annoying, they portray a pretty amusing protagonist. I'm not sure it strictly feels much like comics Barry Allen, but since comics Barry Allen is boring as all hell, the deviations were a good move in my book. They set up some intriguing scenarios in the episode and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

I'll be watching both shows, but of the two, I though The Flash was the better pilot.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I thought the show was called Hellblazer.

You thought wrong.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just watched the Flash pilot. Am I wrong but did they Basically say they're doing Crisis on Infinite loving Earth? With the red skies, and flash going bye bye?

I would be lying if I said I didn't have wood.

In 2024. I dunno if we'll actually see it in the show, except like in the very last episode the way Clark only gets the cape in the last ep of Smallville.

Also: WayneTech/Queen Inc merger.

e: sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well, all you'd really have to do is...cut the scene where Liv comes back to convince John to work with her. Replace it with one of John commiserating with the angel about Liv not sticking with it. Maybe introduce Zed in the final scene or something.