Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, this is a thing.

I mean there's no way in hell Disney will give permission unless they get something in return-or they might just up and refuse outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

I don't think they'd announce it if negotiations weren't going well. Obviously Disney is going to get a piece, but I bet they're looking at the success DC has had in TV by having multiple shows on different channels and not caring quite so much about continuity, and since the X-Men are already separate from the MCU, they think "gently caress it, have a TV show."

Yeah, but they really don't like Fox making money off their properties, and anything that lets them hold onto the license longer is something I don't think they like that much. Spite is a powerful motivator, especially since apparently they also put a hold on X-Men merchandising.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

reignonyourparade posted:

From all his talk about "other kree can't find out about this" it kind of seems like this wasn't his job or anything, he had just personally taken it on himself so that other kree wouldn't find out about it, so I guess it must have been something he happened to have on hand when he spotted the whole "inhumans: a thing." transmission.

So really he was basically a kree superhero.

Captain Mar-Vell confirmed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

In more typical Marvel live-action TV news, ABC has given a production commitment (is that the same as an order to series? idk) to a new Marvel Television show focusing on lesser-known female characters.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1042543860700700672

C'mon, A-Force the series...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cloak & Dagger continues to be amazing. Between this and Endgame, Marvel's had a pretty amazing April.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the multiverse, the latest episode of Cloak & Dagger has a bunch of different alternate realities that Tandy goes through (albeit they're hallucinations, but still...)

And it seems like for the big bad this season they've decided to basically merge D'Spayre and Mr. Negative into a single character, which I think is a good way to get around both the issue that one is way too cosmic/mystical and the other's rights are tied up in Spider-Man.

This episode ends on a real bummer, though I suppose that's to be expected considering the subject matter. Poor Tandy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

I think Marvel stuff can use whatever they want from Spider-Man now.

I don't know if that was the case when they were writing this season, though.

Edit: Also why aren't people talking about Cloak & Dagger more?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 3, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ToastyPotato posted:

This is the same company that is seriously trying in earnest to spend over a billion dollars on their own Spider-Man connected universe of films that we all know will in no way connect with the MCU despite the fact that they have this deal still in play. This is the same company that seriously worked on an Aunt May movie.

Hey now, Into The Spider-Verse worked out...

although that may be the exception that proved the rule.

But since they're apparently planning a Spider-Verse TV series, presumably there's been some additional behind the scenes wrangling to extend the deal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

When are we getting news on if Cloak & Dagger gets renewed? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looks like the reviews are officially in for Cloak & Dagger season 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3cD45oaek

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 10, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, the latest episode of Cloak & Dagger was loving intense.

I really liked that Tandy had basically managed to rescue herself, to the point where she'd probably have been fine even if Tyrone hadn't shown up (although it's good he did, that teleport kick was loving awesome). And that Aunt Chantelle basically fukcing no-sold D'Spayre's bullshit. And managed to trick him into unknowingly telling Mayhem how his powers worked so she could steer Tyrone back onto the right track and stop him from controlling all the girls he'd previously taken by smashing the records. I wouldn't be surprised if her using the records is also why Tyrone's powers went all screwy, because she's trying to find a way back out.

I'm beginning to wonder if Connors is maybe backsliding, considering he was seemingly looking to escape.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode where our heroes play an arcade game against Baron Samedi to maybe save Tyrone's soul? And I love that this is a show where I can say that as a sentence. Hopefully it'll be a bit of a breather after this one.

Speaking of breathers, here's the cast at Disneyland!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGz_1YdrV1I

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

If you would have told me in the Year of Our Lord 2019 that the two best comic book TV shows would be Cloak and Dagger and Doom Patrol I might have bopped you on the head for your crazy talk.

I know, right?

They just posted the climatic fight scene from the last episode (so spoilers, obviously) on the official youtube channel, and :iia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCTB2rOU18A

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The latest Cloak & Dagger continues to be amazing. They manage to get in some cool video game homages (the game's backstory basically being the comics origin was a nice touch), but they also managed to address some really heavy stuff too (while still providing some catharsis after the last few episodes). Really looking forward to how the rest of the season plays out

Hoping we get a renewal out of this.

Edit: Also now I think about it, this episode is a nice counterpart to 'The Lotus Eaters' last season.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of good shows ending soon, the finale for Cloak & Dagger Seaons 2 is next week, so you guys have plenty of time to get caught up on it.

I really hope it gets renewed, I think it already had by this point in the season. Are they waiting to see if there's a big uptick in bingewatchers? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Cloak & Dagger wrapped up season 2 this series, and it was awesome - great character pieces, great action, just all around great episode. The second series is definitely an improvement on the first (and that was pretty great in its own right, even if it took a little bit to get rolling). Check it out.

Really hope we get a season 3. They gave one to Runaways, dammit!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So this interview with Cloak & Dagger's showrunner has some interesting behind the scenes stuff, including hints as to where it's going in future.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait, so a comics accurate Hellcat costume was an option and they passed so she could wear yet another lovely make shift daredevil rag costume?
I retroactively regret ever getting invested in the Marvel Netflix mini universe.

Well, this was posted in the TVIV thread:

Lid posted:

June 14th

"I'm really upset about the new Production Designer. She worked as an Art Director on a lot of the Marvel Netflix shows, but doesn't give half a poo poo about the subject matter. At all. Never informed herself about the characters or who they're supposed to be. Never even watched a single MCU movie or show.

Also, she's really, really bad at her job, and a generally unpleasant human being. She's the only Production Designer I've ever worked for that I would NEVER work for again. I love the show I'm on now, but I would straight quit if she were suddenly hired to replace my boss."

If it's true, it might explain a lot.

Compare and contrast to Cloak & Dagger, where they gave Tyrone his iconic look for several of the biggest hero moments and still give him a pretty great and thematically-appropriate civilian look. And gave Tandy a similarly cool-looking outfit but thankfully disregarded the whole boob window part of it.

Or Doom Patrol, which just went 100% into the comic booky goodness.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the shows went to poo poo basically instantly, so I think history has vindicated their decision making process.

I will always love that loving James D'Arcy is the only one to make the leap from tv to movies. Good on him.

Hey now, Agents of SHIELD rallied pretty freakin' well, and Agent Carter and Cloak & Dagger were both good from the start...

Now granted most of the other shows did kinda faceplant eventually, but still.

I think the Feige/Perlmutter feud might have more to do with the difficulty getting the shows to cross over.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Has there been any word on Cloak and Dagger? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

Runaways S3 is premiering December 13. Synopsis:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/hulu-sets-premiere-dates-for-new-dollface-reprisal-season-3-of-marvels-runaways-1202654460/

If you look closely, you might notice a name missing from the cast. Mysterious!

It's Kip Pardue (Frank Dean), who had a MeToo allegation levied against him on a different project

So word on any potential Cloak & Dagger crossover? Seemed liek that's what was being hinted at the end of C&D's second season.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:toot:

Now announce Season 3 of C&D, you cowards.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My Lovely Horse posted:

that doesn't sound like it would do Legion any favours at all

e: a season of Legion twice as long and halfway through they kill off the Shadow King and replace him with a swirly eyed cartoon hypnotist in a moustache and top hat
I think in this case it means the show's willing to make serious commentary on racial and gender issues. Maybe Black Lightning might have been a better analogy?

Medullah posted:

Cloak and Dagger is really, really good. And I'm only slightly ashamed to admit I'm a huge sucker for the soundtrack. Olivia Holt has a really great voice.
Aubrey Joseph, too! He did Numb in series two. I listen to the official Spotify playlist fairly often.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, word? Is it anywhere other than Hulu? We froze our account a few months ago.

Arist posted:

The entire series is up on Freeform's website to my knowledge.
It's also on Amazon Prime (in the UK, at least).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

All of these new shows sound great!

But I'm still waiting for them to announce season 3 of Cloak & Dagger...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh my god, the Scarlet Witch shadow on the wall's got the weird headband thingy, that's amazing. :allears:

Skwirl posted:

Yes the entire movie was constructed in such a way that it gave a legitimate reason for the CIA to help a deposed monarch regain his throne in exchange for mineral rights.

I like the movie, and definitely wanted it to get Best Picture over The Green Book, but we should be able to acknowledge that sometimes poo poo we like has problems.
Except...T'Challa didn't give the US mineral rights and never offered them? Where did you even get that idea from?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Wakanda had lied and said Gollum had stollen all their vibranium of like a couple tons worth when they actually had an entire mountain of it.
Bilbo only starts to go full on pro T'Challa when he finds out there's a poo poo ton more vibranium than previously thought.
And I guess the fact T'Challa saved his life after Killmonger shot him had nothing to do with it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, wasn't there a theory in the Smallville fandom that Chloe would actually turn out to be Lois or something dumb like that? That would have been awkward.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw, that's a bummer.

Hopefully we're still getting season 3 of Cloak & Dagger at least, right? Right, guys? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1177689309907968000

gonna be interesting to see how much/little of the stuff Loeb alluded to in this interview from just last month (the other "Adventure into Fear" shows for Hulu, further street-level series, projects for Disney+, the female-focused project in development at ABC) actually comes to fruition

Well, at least they went out on a high note with Cloak & Dagger. Also Runaways was/is...also a TV show.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

If i had my way, i'd shutter Marvel TV, and ban Loeb from doing anything else.
Only if you let them continue Cloak & Dagger with the same cast & crew over at Marvel Studios. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night posted:

And don’t people like Cloak and Dagger?

I don’t even know exactly what he does Marvel TV, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him writing comics again after his Nova series.
I like it, I don't know about anyone else.(Edit: but seriously, if you guys have the opportunity check it out).

Hopefully if the show doesn't get a third series (I mean, I think the showrunner's said there was originally a 5-series plan) they can get brought over into the Disney+ series or maybe even the movies. They deserve better than having their last appearances in the MCU as guest stars on Runaways, dammit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

badjohny posted:

Runaways s3 trailer from NYCC. Looks decent

https://youtu.be/5ReltA7xtbM

Any word on Cloak & Dagger? (Aside from appearing at the end of the trailer, natch).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So apparently Jeph Loeb hinted at NYCC that since Cloak & Dagger are showing up in Runaways S3 (and apparently they might be in more than one episode), the Runaways will show up in Cloak & Dagger season 3. Which obviously suggests there will be a season 3.

But at the same time Marvel TV is apparently shutting down Live Action stuff and just focusing on animation?

What does this all mean? Don't toy with me, Marvel!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does this mean no more Cloak and Dagger? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1187493357854969856?s=21

Sounds like this was a Freeform decision and primarily a ratings issue, but folks can read whatever Feige involvement into this they like, I guess
Noooo! Bring it back on Disney plus, dammit!

Or a least bring the characters back in some way. It'd be cool to see them included in an adaption of say, Black Panther & The Crew.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

They're gonna be on Runaways.
I know that, but I watched the first series of that and I'll be honest, I was not impressed. Plus I don't get the second season on Amazon Prime in the UK, and likely not the third. So even if it is good I can't watch it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RevKrule posted:

It's a final nail for the current incarnation of Cloak and Dagger too so yeah, I'm a little sad.

Yeah, it's a bummer. RIP Cloak & Dagger, the greatest superhero show nobody watched.

Unless Feige brings them back somehow. I mean, they were considering using Gabriel Luna as Ghost Rider for other projects.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

It is certainly the best thing Marvel TV has done. The Aida season was really great. With the exception of the first half of season one, everything of that show is better than every single netflix show. Probably better than cloak and dagger too.
Well you clearly need to go watch Cloak & Dagger and confirm it then. Let's be empirical about this.

Djarum posted:

Yup. It is an utter shame that they aren't making more of this on Disney Plus.
Yeah, it seems like they kinda tossed some of the baby out with the bathwater with purging all of Marvel TV. I mean, obviously the way it was going with the right hand not knowing what the left was doing couldn't continue, but there were some good shows being made, by great casts and crews.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

I saw cloak and dagger. I just didn't want to sound to objective there. Personally I preferred AoS by a noticeable margin. But that might just be my personal bias. Being set in new Orleans, Close and Dagger involves a lot of jazz, which I disdain.

Well the main villain of season 2 was a jazz musician, so surely that was appealing to you?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Barry Convex posted:

I doubt anything will come of this given how vague the comments are and ABC’s history with Marvel projects, but you never know https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1215000299825291264?s=21

Bring back Cloak & Dagger, you cowards. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Considering that Fury in Far From Home talked about Kree sleeper cells, and that at least some Kree can pass for human, who says it's the Skrulls doing the invading?