Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Whoa Daredevil Season 3 is adapting Born Again aka the one where Kingpin gaslights Matt into insanity. Also the one where Karen Page becomes a heroin-addicted prostitute, but they'll probably leave that out.

Also: reminder that the Tick is out on Friday, and I'm hearing good things.

Didn't D’Onofrio say he didn't have a lot of interest doing more Kingpin? Or was that likely a negotiating tactic?

EDIT: Nope. NVM, I got it confused with him saying no Kingpin in Punisher.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever heard it.

You can tell they really, really wanted to like it.

I have a feeling I'll have the same reaction when it hits TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Yes, Shao Lou dies and then un-dies, which gives him the title The Undying.

Exactly. I'd have to dig out my issues, but I'm pretty sure it's a case of Shou Lao dying at the completion of a successful Rite of the Iron Fist. Then he's reborn from an egg. Also, there's something about his immortal heart existing outside his body in the sacred cave. The Iron Fist plunges his hands into the molten heart after defeating the dragon.

There's also a whole (major) plot point about there being a second portal to earth from K'un Lun that had been clandestinely punched through from K'un Lun to NY by Yu Ti (nope) August Personage in Jade, that wasn't on a cycle like the one that appeared in the Himalayas.

drat, I have to re-read these now. So many good story lines in Iron Fist: The Living Weapon and Immortal Iron Fist.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 30, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wyntyr posted:

Maybe I misheard something but why are y'all convinced that the dragon bones under Manhattan are specifically Shou Lao? I could've sworn Gao or someone waxed nostalgic about how those creatures, plural, used to roam the green hills of her homelands.

Admittedly I watched the last couple episodes in a hurry.

Very well could be. I admit, I more or less mentally checked out on the last couple of episodes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You and me both.

I completely forgot about the Bollywood routine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/909904932215578625

Frank as a slasher movie escapee wouldn't have been my first thought, but I'm on board so far.

I was thinking more PTSD suffering John Rambo à la First Blood

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

She's like 45.

Like that's a barrier to being a teen on a CW show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Seems like Alexander Siddig is going to stick around Gotham as he had a small appearance in the season premier. Also the crime stuff remains pretty fun as the latest Penguin scheme is extremely organized crime as now the criminals of Gotham have licenses which say what crimes they are allowed to commit and cops have been ordered by the mayor and police commissioner to ignore any licensed criminals.

How very Ankh Morpork of them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Man, why the hell don't we have a Discworld tv series?

Some of the British channels (iTV and SkyOne I think) did some movies based on few novels. They're kind of hit or miss. Did not like Colour of Magic, but Hogfather wasn't too bad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Amazon picked up Greg Rucka's Lazarus for a show

Lazarus as in the immortal who gets a random power (and *only* that power other than his core resurrection one) every time he resurrects from death?

If it's handled right, I can see that being a lot of fun.

That makes me wonder though. Which came first, Lazarus or Zelanzy's The Sleeper from Wild Cards (which on the whole is terrible and bad)?

E: I hope at some point he figures out the Death Gauntlet that he had in DC One Million, but probably not. That would make him stupid powerful.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

No lazarus is a dystopian future about a families at war and Lazarus is the name of their one man kill squad. Also the art by Michael Lark is bad?

drat. I was actually kind of hoping for the other now.

Never read that one you describe. I usually can't get past bad art, no matter how good the story is, so I guess I'll see how the show goes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

The comic is really good and the art is not bad at all. Michael Lark is a really good artist.

Thanks. Turns out that title is on sale at Comixology right now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You're thinking of DC's Resurrection Man.

You're absolutely right. For some reason I was conflating him with the Lazarus Pit.

Still think Resurrection Man would make a good show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

I don't have an IMAX anywhere near me, but if I did I wouldn't have paid to watch any TV show on it that I could see a month later on TV for fee. And I'm probably one of the bigger fans of the Inhumans as it is.

Not only that but it was an abridged version shown in the theaters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's just such a fantastic show. It's easily up there with my all time favorites.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel just saying Wanda or Pietro aren't really Magneto's kids, or Squirrel Girl isn't really a mutant after years of that being established wouldn't actually change their status with the Fox deal if Fox cared enough to challenge it.

Evidently they don't for Squirrel Girl at least since she's going in a Marvel TV show.

I think the dividing line is X-Men properties or not. With it being some vague handwavy, "did the character show up in more "X" titles than not?"

Of course Ryan North did a pretty funny thing with Doreen's mom where she has a notorized statement from the OB that delivered her saying "Dorren's tail is the result of a congenital condition and is in no way a mutation. So that's settled and can't be taken back" (paraphrasing)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Are there mutants that are born with mutations? I thought mutations usually manifested at some point later in childhood.

Not sure.

I just thought it was a really funny joke poking fun at all the comic nerds having online slap fights over who belongs in the Xmen cinematic universe and who belongs in MCU.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Back on topic: The Gifted is a legit good show. It's not Legion good, but it's definitely "Great Fox primetime show that gets cancelled way too early" good. It reminds me of the Tomorrow People reboot, only not terrible.

Maybe it will get moved to FX if the main channel loses interest. FX seems to adopt a much more hands-off approach to the shows and let them grow.

Haven't seen any episodes yet, but it appears I may have to due to goodish to good reports on it from here and from IRL friends.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

In other news, is Punisher ever coming out?

Pretty sure it's next Friday. They pushed the release out 2 weeks because of the Vegas shootingthoughts and prayers

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They are releasing Punisher and Stranger Things on the same day? :stare:

Well that kind of sucks.

Makes for a busy weekend. Plus I've got my see how many NCAA Football games I can have on screen(s) activity going on Saturday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow/status/920711821849280513

Well I guess that confirms that person exists in the Arrowverse.

I think a funnier line may have been "Saying I'm the Green Arrow is like saying... oh, I don't know, that Bruce Wayne is Batman or something. Absolutely ridiculous."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drat. I think that's enough to get me to reactivate my Hulu account (at least for as long as it takes to binge this)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

I don't know if you heard, but there's just no way they're doing that.

e: ugh. nvm, my joke was stupid as I misread your comment.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Selling ABC?

There's some analysts saying they need to dump ABC. Probably the same ones telling them to drop ESPN. Both are lodestones around Disney's neck.

They've done some layoffs at ABC, but Disney has repeatedly said selling ABC (or ESPN) is not on the table for now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It's millstone guys not lodestone.

Yes, that is what I meant. I used the wrong one.

Back on topic, I think ESPN is set up to take a huge step into the red when their current licensing and broadcast deals are up for renewal. They've been signing mysteriously expensive contracts with NCAA, NFL, MLB and NBA for broadcast rights. This is the company that paid $100 Million for a single NFL playoff game that was for a wildcard just this last January.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zoux posted:

So LoT had the greatest fight scene ever put to celluloid last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCwvCaEcIzs

Neal McDonough is the best thing that happened to the Arrowverse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

But they made that sound like it was going to be the end of the world as we know it. Wouldn't it just be, like really inconvenient?

In real world you are correct. There are 13 root level name servers, however it's better to think of those as 13 clusters (of many redundant servers) using anycast addressing. So for instance the DNS Root a.root-servers.net is actually a distributed cluster of servers scattered around the globe. Anycast addressing means a requestor gets routed to the "closest" (in terms of routing costs) to pull A records.

That being said, IF someone did manage to disrupt communications to these clusters, then everything would grind to halt. Practicably, it just can't happen without major, catastrophic damage to the Internet itself. Which in turns implies we're all smeared out as atoms at the bottom of glowing craters.

In Arrowverse, I imagine they're just a couple Dell Workstations sitting in a basement somewhere.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mr Robot.

They cut a few corners here and there but it's accurate and fun, partly because it involves more than just staring at a screen and typing.

Yep. That's my response too.

They play a little fast and loose with how and when the tools and techniques get used at times and a lot of the execution times are compressed, but overall it's very accurate. I'd put it at "Summary for IT Directory" level of detail --nothing misleading, but not wallowing in minutiae either. As a security professional it's the 1st show that doesn't make me twitch.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Scorpion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I know what link this is and REFUSE to watch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: hacking: I once saw a trailer for a movie where Chris Hemsworth played a hacker who did 15 years for hacking (he spent the entire time doing handstand pushups from what I could tell) and now he's being let out to help the FBI catch some hackers. I haven't seen it but it looked pretty bad. I later learned it was a Michael Mann film, which was disappointing.

15 years, huh? Way to have ZERO relevant skill when you get out grandpa. The state of the art moves so fast, it would be like tapping someone who worked at Ford in the 30s to be able to service modern F1 race car.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arist posted:

The dinosaur is in there

god drat, that's two opportunities to post Dr. Dinosaur in the last 15 minutes

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Um... I hope it's something, something nazi alternate universe. Otherwise that's a real poor choice for Supergirl and alt-Flash.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Wait, did someone think they were changing regular Supergirl's costume to include an SS logo? When they fired Kreisberg they didn't replace him with Richard Spencer.

No. I knew it was an alt-earth. I didn't know there is a Nazi themed Earth, so I was wondering about the symbology since I guessed it was nazi related.

Cythereal posted:

Fair warning: if you're a veteran or have a close family member who is, especially if you/they suffer from PTSD, Punisher might not be a good show to watch. This is a deep and unflinching look at veterans, the issues they face, American war crimes overseas, PTSD, and the effects violence has on people. There's shockingly little testosterone-fueled violence is awesome stuff (still some, but it's rare), and a whole lot of hurt, broken people trying to put their lives back together with varying degrees of success. It's a slow burn, but a good one - just maybe not what you'd expect from the Punisher.

Cythereal ain't kidding. There's some hard scenes in there. Good scenes, but hard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

So it's exactly what Punisher should have always been and what it should be going forward.

Absolutely. It's a broken man doing broken things through the lens of extreme PSTD.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Calling attention to something dumb/inconsistent in your own story in the hopes that people will just move on and not bother thinking about it any further. It's like a knowing wink and nod at the audience but it is usually just a crutch meant to make bad writing not look as bad by showing you that the writers are totally with you and get it that the thing was bad. It can be used to genuine comedic effect , however. I don't know why that term was specifically chosen though.

If I had to guess, it probably relates to being able to tilt a lampshade to use a lamp as a makeshift spotlight.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

site posted:

One thing though is that it's very extremely about ptsd and life after experiencing extreme trauma and I just feel illequiped to accurately critique its portrayals of it

Everyone reacts to PTSD in different ways, but it's pretty accurate but on the extreme end of the reaction side of things. I don't have combat related PTSD, (possible trigger here -->)but I do have it related to my fiancée dying while trying to give her CPR with blood bubbling out of her nose and mouth on every compression. The "nightmares when you close you close your eyes" is real. The "memories of the event are more real than regular life" is a thing.

This show hit me like a gut punch with some of the PTSD stuff. I had to stop playback a couple times and started crying at weird moments during this thing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think if anything this will probably be one of more divisive shows Netflix has done with how the Punisher is portrayed. This is a show about regret, pain, and seeing yourself become a monster. It's about men with power deciding that the ends justify any means and don't care about collateral as long as their agenda is served. It's about men that are turned into monstrous weapons and become discarded liabilities when they are no longer necessary.

I like this show a lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

I never really though of Waits as fight music but drat does it work for something like that

It also helps that Hell Broke Luce is an angry song that meshes so well with the themes of the show.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've kind of drifted away from the CW shows, but I think I'll be down for that.

Are the shows more comic book insanity and less CW relationship idiocy now? If so, I may start adding it back the my DVR schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CW website and app should have them, and they don't make you auth against a cable provider if I recall right.