Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr. Maltose posted:

The best Graviton Moments, like the best moments for many characters, is in Thunderbolts. Evil Psychologist Moonstone is basically pressganged into being Graviton's shrink, and finally after simmering as a subplot for a couple issues while the Thunderbolts are off being excellently written elsewhere, Moonstone finally has a breakthrough with Graviton about how petty he is.

The next issue is Moonstone and the Thunderbolts finding out that Graviton decided to turn part of California into a floating island with his face on it and give the power of flight to basically a group of mallrats. The man is just built pathetic.

You are actually getting two (kind of three) Graviton storylines missed up there.

The very first Graviton storyline is where the T-bolts fight a robot Hulk sent at them by Zemo, purely to gently caress over his old team for daring to do stuff without him. The Hulk Robot was channelling energy which was used to summon Graviton from the loser dimension he was stuck in.
Graviton basically completely wipes the floor with the T-Bolts and the Great Lakes Avengers. The closest they have to winning is when Atlas jumps out of a plane, sizes up to maximum height and starts wailing on Graviton for a few pages.
And even then, Graviton basically defeats him after he gets half a second to recover enough to fight back. He is only defeated when Moonstone explains how he's going to lose because he thinks too small.

He leaves, and comes back in Issue 28.
At this stage Graviton shows up over San Francisco with a floating island full of an army of "thugs, low-lifes and Highlander fans" who he extends his superpowers to. The T-Bolts (and Angel) only were able to win when they got Machine Man to share his technology that negated gravity.
The T-Bolts beat on Graviton, and Moonstone tries needling Graviton about how pathetic he is. Instead of crumbling, he lashes out and very nearly destroys California, until they turn him into a Black Hole.

He returns in the third story. That's the one where Moonstone is pressganged into being his personal life coach and motivational person. She allows him to overcome his ego, and he masters his powers to such an extent that he was able to defeat every hero on the Marvel Earth at once.

In short, those are excellent stories, and you should totally re-read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Medium Cool posted:

Is Dr. Light still a lobotomized rapist in the new 52? The only new 52 book I follow is flash and they seem to be following that pretty heavily for the flash adaptation if the origin and the costume are anything to go by.

They went the complete opposite with him in the New 52.

There he was a committed scientist, loving father and husband (to the woman who was the female Doctor Light in the old universe) who didn't like hurting people and helped out the Justice League, who got his powers as a result of an accident investigating a secret society of villains.

...Then after about 6 issues he got his head blown off by Superman's heat vision when a super villain jabbed a piece of Kryptonite into Clark's brain. I think his ghost sometimes haunts Clark now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Veotax posted:

That was the gun that Coulson tried to shoot Loki with in Avengers before he got stabbed.

Real talk: That gun was introduced to the Marvel Avengers Alliance game on Facebook. (It's sort of a tie in to the films, but it's mostly takes what it wants from the comic universe. In sort it's awesome, go look at the thread about it.)
The gun was incredibly OP when introduced and even now years later, that gun is still one of the best weapons in the game. It's called the Coulson's Revenge. so that's pretty much its in-cannon name.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That is an amazing rendition of Doom's armour. It really catches the "modern day medivial knight" hewn to the armour. Where is it from?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

She's also a good choice because in the new 52 Universe, Green Arrow is part of a super secret clan of weapon based martial artists. (The Arrow clan, surprisingly enough.) Katana is also a member of this, the Sword Clan.

So at least now in the new 52, they have a connection as being the DC version of Ironfist and the Eight Immortal Weapons. So it's makes some sense why they'd bring her in.

Anyway, a few weeks ago they had Mark Gugenheim do an interview where he said there was one DC character they wanted to use but were told they couldn't but were given a different DC character instead. I said this in the TVIV thread and the concessions is every time a DC character shows up everyone will speculate as to who it was supposed to be.
On that note, I predict that Katana was originally supposed to be Richard Dragon.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure Tony and at least a few others own over priced lofts and such in Williamsburg.

Iron-man: Alright Avengers, I've drawn up a strategy to deal with this incoming alien invasion of New York.
I'm going to station Hyperion, Thor and Starbrand to guard Williamsburg.
Black Widow, Smasher and Wasp will guard my bedroom, I mean Avengers tower. On an unrelated note, I'll also be station at Avengers Tower to co-ordinate the attack.
Captain America and Bruce Banner, you are being sent on daylight, frontal assault on the alien mothership. With a bit of luck you will distract the aliens for a split second for no real gain.
And Hawkeye, you have Harlem. And due to budget cutbacks, instead of arrows, you will just have a set of oversized Hulk foam hands...which you will have to pay me back for.

All right? Go team!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I pity the unknown actors cast as potential Joker's and what will happen to their career when they don't make it. Like how almost being the Joker is going to be their career highlight.

Actor: I played Panicky Joker number 2 on Gotham.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfgthhsuUb8

Trailer for the new season of Arrow. Some Ray Palmer as well as Roy in costume scenes.

At 2.10 there's a advert depicting Star City! :neckbeard:

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 26, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apparently Netflix have paid big bucks to get the World Wide Digital Distribution Rights for Gotham. Since this means I'll be able to watch it on Netflix and not wait ages for it to come onto Terrestrial TV, I approve of this.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/netflix-reaches-global-licensing-pact-with-warner-bros-for-gotham-1409706770

The rumours say they paid around $2 million per episode for these rights, so I guess someone at Netflix feels that Gotham is going to be a big hit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

Speaking of DC shows, Dominic Purcell is gonna be Heatwave in the Flash. Moreover, it'll apparently be as part of a team up with Captain Cold, so... The Rogues are gonna happen, hopefully.

Really? I CALLED THIS!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Haha, Prison Break reunion. That is awesome.

(Scene from episode ten. The Rogues are in prison.)
Captain Cold: Okay, I have come up with an elaborate plan which, while complex, is guaranteed to get us out of here. You all will have a part to play, I need you to do the following...
(Jump cut, the Rogues just run through a wall and out the prison.)

Heat Wave: Man, that was easy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

e X posted:

Holy poo poo, they don't have to change anything, that looks already like the Kingpin attending some social event.

What are you talking about? That's legitimate actor and humble importer/exporter of spices, Vincent D'Onofiro. There's no such person as the Kingpin.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

This kind of reminds me of one of the subtexts in Luke Cage season 2. There was a clear bias against Bushmasters family and power base as they were immigrant Jamacians, not native born African-Americans.

It wasn't subtext. It was full on text.
In fact in one of the episodes, one of the gangsters goes into a full on rant about native born African-Americans over ones who are originalyfrom Latin America or Jamaica.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah Brazil is neither but would be ethnically similar to Latin America if only through regional natives.

Wait what is the official name of the people of South and Central America who were here before the Spanish?

I always thought the term was Meso-American.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Well Danny was about a thousand times better in Luke Cage this season. So if they make him more like that, this season should be better.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

site posted:

The whizzer effects are hilariously lovely, like to the point im amazed they actually said hm yes this is acceptable to put on air

Whomever was in charge of quality control of Season 2 of Jessica Jones figured at that point "this lovely special effect is the least of our worries."

The whole series was garbage.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Was Typhoid Marry going to be in Daredevil or Punisher's next season?

Wait, I thought the antagonist from season 2 of Jessica Jones was supposed to be Typhoid Mary?
I'm glad they walked back on that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Seeing that was my endpoint for watching Jessica Jones S2. Which is a shame, S1 was one of my fav shows that season.

Then you got out just in time.

Okay episode 11 (I think) was the best ep of the season. But definitely not worth watching otherwise.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You could argue that she's not white enough (seriously, Batwoman looks so pale you would think that she fell into the same vat of chemicals as him. I never could tell if that was supposed to be a part of her disguise, a load of makeup.)

She should be good. But I wonder are they going to cover up all the actresses tatoos, or just make Kate have a bunch of tats after leaving the military?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mike Danger posted:

Kate has a bunch of tattoos in the comic

I don't remember her having many tattoos, but my reading of her is mostly in stories where she guest stars, and she tends to be in the full Batwoman get-up.

Does she have many in the way Ruby Rose does?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Kate's got tattoos frickin' everywhere, mate.

Cool, my exposure to Kate (outside of her in her head to toe Batwoman costume) was back when she showed up in the 52 series back in the day. And I didn't remember her having much in the way of tattoos, and not like the full sleeves that Ruby Rose has.

And heck, maybe they will just say in the show that Kate has a lot of tattoos to get around it. Or they'll cover Rose in makeup to get around it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaunab posted:

They should tie Typhoid Mary in with Jessica Jones. Seems like that story would work well thematically.

When I was watching the horrible, awful and mega no-good second season of Jessica Jones, I honestly believed that Jessica's mom was supposed to be that character. An awful, uninteresting take on her.
I am so relieved that they will have another go at adapting her.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

First trailer for Runaways S2, new trailer for Titans (Netflix has picked it up internationally, hence their branding.)

Well that's another reason I'm glad I didn't subscribe to that DC streaming service.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

zoux posted:

I think there's a brief shot of Starfire and Dick making out, I think they are more setting up a master/apprentice deal with Dick and Raven, mirroring the Batman/Robin mentorship.

That's what the shows creator said. But the writer took that down as "Raven needs to master Dick." And they went from there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yeah, turns out when people were seeing the behind the scenes stuff and said "Starfire looks like a hooker" it's because Starfire's a hooker who breaks necks and incinerates people!

Some people in the comments are saying later episodes clarify/indicate that she was duped into working for the mob as an enforcer.

A) Not that is much better and
B) If it's not clear what your characters background is that people can watch it and ask "are they portraying a sex worker?" And not have the answer, you have probably done a bad job telling your story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

I can’t believe Brenton Thwaites is an actual real human name.

Maybe he's from the 25th Century and he's traveled back in time because he's obsessed with....(checks chart.)
Armie Hammer?

No, that can't be right.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I honestly expect Netflix to announce that Jessica Jones will get a season 3. Everything else will be cancelled.

The wrong show got cancelled. (Proceeds to start an Axe fight like in Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox story.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

I honestly expect Netflix to announce that Jessica Jones will get a season 3. Everything else will be cancelled.

The wrong show got cancelled. (Proceeds to start an Axe fight like in Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox story.)

THE WRONG SHOW GOT CANCELLED!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Looking at that picture reminds me of why I love the Batman and Superman friendship. In the hands of good writers, it's this really fantastic dichotomy. And there's no reason that you can't apply the same dynamic with similar characters.

I'm reminded of the Disney Hercules cartoon, where they did an episode where Alladin met Hercules and it was great. With the heroes antagonistic towards each other before becoming friends.

To this day the biggest missed opportunity was that the name of the episode should have been "The (Ancient) Worlds Finest."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You Am I posted:

I think it was mentioned in the Wolverine issue of the Fatal Attractions storyline, soon after the Adamantium was ripped out of him. He mentioned his healing factor was boosted now it didn't have to deal with the metal.

It was both.
In the immediate aftermath to Fatal Attractions his Healing Factor was shot because it took so much work to keep him alive from having metal shoot out from all his bones.
But like a DBZ character his Healing Factor came back stronger than when he had Adamtium inside him.

Apart from that they have been consistent with the idea that Adamantium is poisonous to Wolvie and if his Healing Factor is switched off he needs some non-descript medicine to stay alive. In Frank Tieri's run he had to get this medicine when he was in the Cage, a magical power dampening story.

Interestingly even though Bullseye has Adamantuim Bones no mention of if he needs medicine for that.

Also, fun fact, when you put Adamantuim onto bones it gets changed to Adamantium Beta which as a metal has different properties to normal Adamantium.
It's never been explained what those properties are, but if you ever need a No-prize explanation why things that can cut Adamantium can't cut Wolverine's claws, there you go.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

I think there is also a difference in how the adamantium was applied between Logan and Bullseye. Like Bullseye had his bones laced with it where Logan had his entirely coated.

Supposedly they refined the process between when Wolverine got it and when Bullseye got it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Waitii did Hollywood a huge favor by figuring out that Hemsworth is a lovable giant muscle teddy bear goofball at heart, and making a success by playing to that.

Didn't the 2016 Ghostbusters film show this first?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Because in a world where apparently Penguin, Riddler, Bane, Joker and Harley, and Mr Freeze have all existed and been locked up at some point, it is nearly impossible the general public didn't notice their super villain problem, nor the giant bat symbol burning into the night sky whenever stuff was popping off. That's not how Batman has really ever worked outside of "super early" career stories. What you said works fine for when Batman is going after gangsters and corrupt officials, it falls apart with a guy who shoots cold beams and the freaking Joker. Yeah, most people never see Batman in a lot of stories, but after a certain point, it is always accepted that he exists. It is the who or what he is that ends up being the legend, not his existence.

If you go by Gotham (the TV series) all those super villains have been operating for years with only James Gordon and Harvey Bullock to stop them.

So Batman could easily be seen as an urban legend.

And I love the idea that Oliver Queen thinks this Batman guy stole all his ideas on how to be a vigilante.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

"That's your argument? That the Punisher should be supporting Nazi's not killing them?"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Did he have it in the comics? I don't remember him having a tat.

No Manchester Black didn't have a tat. He had a full T-Shirt sized Union Jack.
Manchester Black was a homage to the Authority's Jenny Sparks.
But during the Authority's run, Mark Millar had the 1% kill the Authority and replace them with conservative knock offs. Their version of Jenny Sparks was a David Beckham looking guy called Colonel. He had a full chest tattoo of a Union Jack.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The problem is J'onn just does the "You can't kill people, you're better than that!" thing, rather than giving any nuanced view. His first victims were literally going to a home with an alien in it with the purpose to murder them. If Proud Boys were going to gay peoples home and murdering them, someone gunning them down would not be in the wrong.

There is a difference though.
(Full disclosure, I haven't seen the episode in question but...)

If militia people are prepared to go into a house and you have a gun, your only options are
1)Call the cops.
2) Do nothing (which ethically is a lawful act. )
3) Try and intimidate them into standing down with your gun
4) Shoot them. (Again, depending on the situation it can be a lawful act.)

If however you have super powers, you have far more options in how to deal with them which doesn't result in lethal violence.
In particular if you have telekinesis or telepathy then you have very little argument for why you have to kill people to stop them.

Otherwise you are going into the territory of "this person was speaking loudly in the cinema. So I went home, got my gun and shot him."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

On Supergirl I do not think Manchester actually has any confirmed powers. He just has "tricks" and good reflexes I guess, and the way things happen made me think they were hinting at some kind of mental powers, but he never outright says he has them or shows that he has any. He's basically just becoming British Punisher.

What I loved about season 1 of Supergirl is they had Max Lord in it, and never said he had super powers but they drat sure hinted at it.
(There were one or two scenes where he orders people to do things and they comply.) And I also think they showed him getting nose bleeds at one point.

Then he is written out of the show for season 2.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

That's Brimstone, but he wasn't different people

Not only was John Glover the devil, but in a later episode an Angel shows up, also played by John Glover. This confused the main character until the Angel explains that "all our people look the same to humans."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Archie versus Punisher is an actual comic that was published in the 90s.

Archie versus Predator was a comic that was published in 2017. And it was way more insane then anything you could imagine.

One of the framed pictures in one issue is of Archie and the Punisher posing together.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Argue posted:

Didn't it turn out that the real villain was Harley and the proper choices could turn him into a twisted vigilante who considers Bruce a friend, instead of a standard psycho obsessed with Batman and chaos? That's pretty different I'd say.

Yes, but...

Regardless of how you get there, the end point is still Bruce beating up the Joker and putting him in Arkham Which if you went down the vigilante route, is pretty heart breaking.

I believe that the TellTale team were convinced that they'd get a third game since they did bait some hooks for sequels in it, but obviously we'll never see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Batman felt like the ur-example of TellTale's 'no matter what choice you make, this will happen regardless' formula. See also: Anything to do with Catwoman. "Hey, Selina, you can totally stay at the Manor." Catwoman: *Has no scenes until the end of the game, leaves anyway*

That's true.

Do you want to save Harvey Dent from the Penguin's goons or Catwoman?

If you choose to save Harvey he doesn't become disfigured and it has a mild effect on the rest of the plot.
The choice makes no difference to Catwoman's status in the game.