Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How good is the Static comic? The only thing I know of him is the Static Shock cartoon which I thought kicked complete rear end. Didn't pick him up when the New 52 started because I knew that poo poo was gonna get cancelled and thrown in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I cannot stand by and let Merlyn get the title of worst character while Felicity Smoak exists.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I forgive Barry because they established he liked Iris before Joe took him in. It would be creepy if it was after.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Barry's been pretty adamant about never seeing Iris as a sister. It'd be different if Iris were actually his sister in any way.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this? posted:

Probably the oddest thing about Iris' season 2 arc is they introduced that new EiC at her paper and it looked like he was going to be her new love interest and then they just kind of dropped it.

I was okay with that. It was an odd choice, but I appreciate the show runners not dicking around. Literally everyone knows where it's going, why bother pretending? And sure, they ruined that by doing Flashpoint and promising another season of jerking around, but at the time I was okay with it. I think we can all agree that nobody wants 5 seasons of Will They, Won't They with Iris and Barry.

Or who knows, maybe Patti will come back and we'll get swerved like I did in Arrow.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Iris had feelings for Barry in S1 though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, I guess ignored then suddenly remembered? I don't remember a lot of s2, I skipped a lot of stuff. It really seemed like they might have done something with Barry and Iris and throw away the terrible will they won't thing every other show does.. then it went nowhere. Patty came and left, I
EiC came and left, it was weird. I like not murderer always pining s1 Barry over what we got in s2.

I'd say more denied than ignored considering she was about to be engaged to Eddie. Once he died that left her conflicted. Now she had no reason to deny her feelings for Barry since she couldn't hurt Eddie anymore, but she didn't want to disrespect his memory either. Once he was dead for a while and Barry did the Hell of a Messenger schtick, I think she was meant to be shown as having gotten over it. So then they could be together and there's no other love interests at play and then FLASHPOINT and now who knows.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Those trailers were dope. I never imagined I'd see a time where I was legitimately more hyped to see Luke Cage and Iron Fist than Superman or the Suicide Squad, but here we are. And I am glad we are here, because it's a beautiful place. Defenders sounds like such a weird opposite version of The Avengers. Those guys were all unrepentant dicks to each other basically from the jump and then pulled it together when aliens rained from the sky. The Defenders seem like they'll all be pretty nice to each other and be buds excepting weirdness between Jessica and Cage.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
drat shame about Ghost Rider ending up in AoS instead of Netflix. I really would like to see him in a TV series. I have no desire to ever watch AoS though.

HIJK posted:

The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk is not an interesting character to me, and I don't really want to see more of him.

Luckily, you are in an extreme minority.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Here's the trailer for the next season of Flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfNDFILyYU

Pros:
-That "Now who's the villain" line worked like hell
-The alt universe could be really interesting
-They're doing things with Wally

Cons:
-The Flashpoint line....man, I feel like they could've done it better
-That Kid Flash costume just doesn't work

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 24, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow, that Arrow trailer is the first complete stinker for me. I am totally underwhelmed by Green Arrow and The Outsiders. I don't know the actor's name, but I feel like the dude playing Mad Dog has been playing a teenage punk since I was in diapers. More Felicity means it's already starting at a disadvantage. I don't recognize....uh, Not Green Arrow either. I assume I would if I read more GA books.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can see Laurel on LoT being big. I can see how Captain Cold can be a challenging yet still grounded Arrow villain. What the hell can Merlyn add to The Flash? Like how do they engineer a story where Barry doesn't beat him up and send him packing to Star City in under 15 seconds?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait and see, it'll be Deathstroke in Identity Crisis where he can trick Flash into running into his sword.

I already hit peak giving out mode in Arrow when they killed Laurel. I think if they do that I'll have a conniption.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like the costume. The CGI makes it look bad. I'll need to see him in motion.

MacheteZombie posted:

Just wait until his first appearance. The internet will be happy to point out how much better he is than Cavill at being Superman at that point.

Can you at least let him have an episode before you start whining about how nobody likes the DCCU?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JT Smiley posted:

I don't really see how you could cross over the Netflix characters into the movies without making it seem really forced.

Several of these shows and movies take place in the same city. Like Daredevil is a subway ride from Spider-Man. And ya know, the comics have managed to pull it off every once in a while.

achillesforever6 posted:

I still don't see why its a big deal, I like having things stratified and be there own thing within the same universe

I don't see anything special about a shared universe if there are no crossovers. If the two don't blend, they might as well not be the same universe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, comics shoehorn in cameos all the time, but why do the tv shows need to emulate that?

Because people like it when they do it? You may be blase about it, but everything about the MCU has centered around people marking out over Avengers Initiative and "I'm putting a team together" and all that other stuff. That's not the only thing people go to the movies to see, but it plays a part. Most people would like to see these things intermix. That's the entire point of a shared universe. I don't even see how that's deniable. They could've just made a separate Daredevil Netflix series with no attachment to anything if they never planned on him interacting with characters that aren't in Daredevil. The quality of that show isn't at all affected by its connections to the MCU. Which I guess is why some people reason that DD therefore never needs to crossover, but I feel like that point goes both ways.

Basically I hate this toe in the water approach. In or out. Shared universe or not.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It definitely looks better there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm just joshin' because WB seems really focused on keeping all the Superman characters in a fairly tight orbit around their source versions on both the TV shows and the movies. Jimmy Olsen is the only one who has swung wildly to different characterizations in just a year. He went from short and plucky young sidekick to grizzled CIA veteran who gets his head blown off to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

It's probably because they think he is ancillary and boring, but can't find a niche for him that works as a major character.

That casual racism of you calling Brooks Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is very annoying. Stop it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rocksicles posted:

You do realise he looks exactly like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, right?

No. Stop.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

jscolon2.0 posted:

Not giving Bruce Greenwood more work post YJ s a tragedy.

I loved YJ's Batman in totality. Character, design, voice. I would like to see more of that Batman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

People liked to complain about YJ, but it was far better than the stuff we got after. (Except for its Joker, which was pretty bad.)

Did they? I hadn't joined SA until much after YJ was cancelled. I thought Young Justice was one of those "Cancelled before its time" shows in most circles.

I know nobody asked for my hot take on it, but I thought YJ S1 was great. S2 did a really unnecessary time skip that I think threw off the pacing of everything. Gave us loads of characters that couldn't get developed in the short amount of time. The plot was a bit silly. But it wasn't trash or anything. Honestly that moment in S1 where all the characters have their lies revealed and they just talk it out instead of going all melodrama made the entire thing worth it to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Bruceski posted:

Personally I'd rate it "worse than BTAS, but that's an awfully high bar."

Yeah, that's where I'm at with it. Putting animated shows up against the DCAU seems unfair to me entirely. I liked YJ a fair bit though. Upon you guys mentioning it I can see how the villain thing would be annoying. That was one of my chief complaints with the newest season of Orange is the New Black, actually. I thought the catchphrases were endearing, but I find that I'm more forgiving of cartoons than others. I'll admit full flush that a lot of my memories of loving YJ are from Season 1. It had one of my favorite season finales. And a lot of the singular episodes had some beats that I'm just not used to seeing in cartoons like the episode where Canary gave the entire team a psych eval. Seeing Superman be so unequipped for a situation that he can't help but to just run away from it every time he encounters it. The Season 2 timeskip was a poor choice, but I'm also a person who gets super excited to see Wonder Girl be a thing in cartoons. And Actual Best Character (TM) Nightwing and Impulse and Static. The beats in Season 2 weren't as good. But one season up and one season in the middle (if not down) to me would call for a 3rd. I would've liked to have seen where it went.

I can't get passed it though. I'd really like to ask the creator why he made that choice. Like in Naruto a timeskip made sense because it was totally within reason to offscreen Naruto preparing to fight a villainous team of S-Class ninja. But in YJ Rocket and Zatana had only been on the team for like 3 episodes. Post timeskip they're on the official League and we don't really ever see them again. At least not in the same capacity.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Rewatching the Netflix Marvel stuff as I anticipate Luke Cage. The second time around I can see the cracks. There's really not very many though. I still don't resonate with Foggy much at all. The best side character is Melvin.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've never seen him in anything else. I don't mind his acting, it's the character that I don't like. I still don't like Karen much either. And that's in spite of Deborah being absolutely beautiful. The Punisher is still cool as poo poo. So's Purple Man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

I... I don't think you understood those shows... :gonk:

It's okay to like storylines, characters, and concepts. As long as I don't say I want to BE the Purple Man, I think it's okay.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Kingpin is better than Foggy and Karen across both seasons. I recognize that I'm in the minority of not liking Foggy as a character. He's just so constantly whiny. About every single thing. That's his character and it's not endearing. I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Kilgrave, but not because of the child abuse and homelessness. I felt that little twinge for him when he explained that he actually can't control his powers at all. So he has to meticulously be aware of every minor thing he says and has been that way since childhood. I just think of jokingly telling a friend "gently caress off" and then imagine them running and jumping out a window or something.

What was with DD Season 2 and coffee?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 7, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

Any chance of sympathy Kilgrave had was burned to the loving ground when he tried to argue semantics about raping Jessica and every other woman he used his powers to get his rocks off like his personal RealDolls.

Well yeah, if you end up feeling for him by the end, you're probably a monster. A monster and a half.

BrianWilly posted:

I always found that the more Kilgrave talked, the less of a chilling, intimidating villain he was and he instead just came across real whiny and annoying. I still haven't decided if that was the point or not.

I would say it's super intentional if you consider we're experiencing the story through Jessica's point of view. The more she gets of him (and we the viewer when she's not there) while she isn't under his absolute control, the more his facade is shattered. He's not the boogeyman. He's not Kilgrave. He's Kevin. A whiny bastard lashing out at the world because mommy and daddy didn't hug him enough...and sorta stabbed him in the neck with a bunch of needles.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

StumblyWumbly posted:

They did a fabulous job having Kilgrave be technically honest but completely disingenuous and self centered. Sometimes this is done pretty blatantly, like the way he says he never told Jessica to kill the woman, just to "take care of her", and some ways it is a bit more subtle/questionable, like the way he never reveals anything about himself unless it will give him an advantage.

He's a manipulator who will never lie about facts so that he can say he's the most honest person around. He will say whatever his to his advantage when he talks about non-facts, like interpretations and feelings.

I think, just given my own experiences, this is a real tactic manipulators use, so if you fall for it you should be careful. Regarding his powers being some kind of curse, he was pretty good about not using his power on Jessica when he knew it wouldn't work. He even told her he was doing it because he wanted her to choose to be with him.

Twice. Twice I watched the series and only now am I really paying attention to the fact that he knew he couldn't control Jessica the entire time. He was just giving her a bullshit reason as to why in case she caught him slipping. Because he knew if she figured it out ahead of schedule, he was hosed. Wow. I didn't give JJ enough credit the first time around. I liked it more in the second go.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

I wonder how Arrow, Supergirl and LoT will deal with an Evil Speedster.

Felicity will hack him and give him a virus.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

So if this is legit, somebody is getting fired

I didn't want to laugh, but drat it if I didn't.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't think Luke has a choice to not be public, he doesn't wear a mask. I marked out for the tiara. I think it's funny that Claire is the Nick Fury of the Netflix series.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've yet to watch Supergirl outside of the time Flash showed up on it, but it's good to know that DC has decided "Oh gently caress it" and added in Superman instead of continuing the MCU's dancing about. I'll really be impressed when they nut up about Green Lantern after Arrow's teased it so much.

But Arrow can never have Batman or else things get stupid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They didn't tease Harley. They just flat out had her and then DC said no. I say Green Lantern got teased since Oliver went to his city at the end of the S3 flashbacks, the aforementioned Jordan on the jacket, and on the Flash side I wanna say Hal's name was on the phone in Earth-2.

Completely unrelated: What are the odds on Jessica showing up in Luke Cage? I'm caught between slim to none and literally 100%.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So far everything in both comic movie universes has been totally straight forward timeline-wise. The only contradiction I can think of is that Thor starts somewhere in the middle of Iron Man 2 so that the post-credit thing works out.

muscles like this? posted:

Arrow also name dropped Ted Kord in the first couple of seasons but ended up not being able to use him, which is why we got Ray Palmer.

Such a shame. Especially since it turned out DC didn't have any plans for him anyway.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

notthegoatseguy posted:

Daredevil Season 1 and JJ S1 both take place in the aftermath of Avengers 1. I think it is ambiguous as to if DD Season 2 take place after Avengers 2 but neither really have any Sokovia or Civil War references, so I'm guessing they're still in between A1 and A2.

My thought process when I said this was keeping the movies and the Netflix separate. The Netflix stuff happens in sequence of release and so do the movies. Where the two mix is drat near completely irrelevant since Marvel's overall attitude toward the two colliding seems to be "No thanks". All we know for sure is that the Netflix stuff starts after the first Avengers and that there's a timeskip between DD S1 and S2. I'd be curious to see where the rest fall in. Putting everything between the two Avengers movies makes sense. It's also a really good way to completely ignore Civil War.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ok, I don't watch AoS, so I have a question for those who do. Did they resolve the whole Coulson being alive thing in a reasonable way? I know he's banished to the TV dimension, so it'll never come up again, but I am curious. They couldn't just drop it, but I guess I doubt how big a deal it could be. Something something Tahiti is all I remember.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

quote:

Marvel effectively shoots holes in the idea that someone who tells the truth, stands up to bullies, and doesn’t kill is less compelling than the alternative.

Cap is the best Avenger. Luke is the best Defender. I will fight you.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhyno posted:

Luke was the best Avenger for like 7 years.

Cap wasn't dead for that long, was he?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really liked Luke Cage. Probably not as much as any of the other Netflix seasons so far, but still good. There's something so unapologetic about it that draws me into it. The way it's able to use both the mini Netflix universe they've crafted as well as the MCU at large makes the world feel connected in that way I'm always whining about. It's definitely corny in some areas, but that helps it in my case. It's not ashamed of being silly or using the phrase Power Man or what have you.

I didn't really expect it, but I'm still pretty sad Jessica didn't appear. I want to praise Cottonmouth, because he was written in the way that the best heels are. He has a point, but he's still very obviously the villain. He's not just an evil for evil's sake guy though. I do believe that he wants to help Harlem and all that, but the way he's going about it is why he needs to be stopped. I'm actually pretty disappointed that Diamondback got the focus at the end. He was way weaker.

Good stuff all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

Also
Given what happened to him the last time he hung out with Jessica Jones, it's very understandable he needs his space. Also I didn't realize Claire Temple was a Luke Cage character originally, I thought it was a name they just made up when they couldn't use Night Nurse (Linda Carter)

Last she saw him, he was possibly dead. She could've at least called, that's rude.

Lurdiak posted:

It's been making the rounds on twitter, and this "Luke Cage is a black conservative" hot take needs to gently caress right off, right now.

What other choice did I have but to look into this and become disappointed? What have I done to you?