Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Leave it to Hickman to shove metaphors where they don't fit.

Yeah, he really H.A.M.M.E.R.'d that one in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I just found out there's rumors of an Hourman show on CW, and rather than have the obvious Arrow connection of Rex/Rick as a scientist who reverse engineers Mirakuru into Miraclo and then has his moral dilemma about addiction and superheroics, it's about a scientist who sees crimes that will occur one hour from now. I've never gone from excited to disinterested so fast :(

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I never would have thought of this and am unbelievably ok with the choice. Anybody whose seen The Cell or the episodes of CI where he goes apeshit knows he can do violent & intimidating extremely well, not to mention methodical and calculating. As long as we're not getting his almost-literally-phoned-it-in performance from Sinister I'll be happy.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It looks like a statue actually.

It is a statue: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-doctor-doom-sideshow-collectibles-400086/

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I dove headfirst into Smallville when Doomsday Starkiller was added because the idea of a low budget Doomsday (who was basically Hulk) was so surreal. I really should've quit when the ultimate fight consisted of three punches and then a cut to Clark saying, "I buried him in the ground. Off camera." But no I just had to keep torturing myself with bad Zod plots and a Darkseid made of crows :(

Daniel Jackson was a pretty badass Hawkman, though.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Was Arrow always this poorly paced and annoying to watch? Did Manu Bennet's rugged mug blind me to the dismal and shoddy writing last season? This season's been a slog to get through but all the post-break episodes have felt like I'm watching a later season of Smallville. I've never seen the CW wasting disease hit a show so early.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Yes but you never run consecutive flashbacks that advance at the same pace as the main story because when you do you get the total idiocy of every solution Oliver has ever needed occurring exactly 5 years earlier.

That lack of forward thought has been my major complaint of the season. Merlyn can travel from Starling to the Himalayas, climb a mountain, and make it back in like a day; Merlyn mentions having killed the man who killed his wife, but almost before he can get the words out he's proven wrong. Both of these examples should've been stretched over few episodes; Merlyn found the bloody sword! What will he do with it? Merlyn finds out he killed a (relatively) innocent man! Won't that make for interesting tension between him and Thea, or a neat rivalry with him and Brick? No, just shoehorn all this potential conflict and development into five minutes of quick scenes and wash your hands of it as soon as the characters aren't on screen anymore.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I generally dug the episode, between SWORD and Madripoor it’s interesting to see what Disney pulling out of that Fox buyout that isn’t explicitly mutant or F4 related.

Zemo reading Machiavelli was cute but a little too on the nose.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So the MCU has two alternate copies of dead people wandering around right? Since Nebula killed herself anyways.

Loki and Gamora, right? Though I half expect something in the post credits of Black Widow that opens the door for her to return too.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

https://www.tiktok.com/@newrockstar...1&is_copy_url=0

Somebody on a discord I frequent posted this, and I think it speaks a lot to why the plot feels disjointed and character motivations are muddled. If there was originally a virus killing refugees and vaccines were being withheld, that could be seen as a more justifiable excuse for the bombing, and the whole Flag Smasher plot in general. Something as urgent as that would also help lend credence to why Sam and Bucky would so willingly let Zemo remain free.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

That looks like a really self-absorbed remake of Sky High.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Of course bombing the UN and Zemo’s overall plot caused the Avengers to fracture, meaning there wasn’t a unified front when the Black Order first attacked. It’s very likely that a full roster Avengers led by Cap and Tony could’ve stopped Thanos early (imagine if Cap had been on Titan to reign in Star-Lord). So Zemo is indirectly responsible for Thanos wiping out half the universe.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Sam Rockwell in Iron Man 2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPFm5io0vw

Perhaps only the funk of evil grants the boon of true rhythm.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

That’s a relative assertion, as I’m sure Erskine considered his version perfect since it didn’t give you a monster face like Skull’s version.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's some deleted scenes in Incredible Hulk with Ross and another officer (his superior?) that expand a bit on Ross' past and hints that there were other failed tests including human subjects that either had to be killed or imprisoned. Watching the deleted scenes, Ross comes across way worse than he does in the theatrical cut.

I really wish they had done a Robocop 2 style scene of all the failed experiments ending comically horribly.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

howe_sam posted:

Dude has the super soldier serum, he'll bounce back.

Did he? Weren’t most of the people helping in that final episode just regular people who’d been summoned with the flag smasher app?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I do wish it wasn’t just evil skrulls, I enjoyed the turn that they’re the plucky underdogs and it would’ve been easy to just say the infiltrators are non-blue Kree, although I suppose that lacks the visual panache of a revealed agent turning into a ribbed-chin lizard man.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I love Finn Wittrock and he’s got better acting chops than half the people that’ve been cast in Berlanti shows, I’m pretty excited for this.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't mind that he's pretty (looks like he'll be the young rookie I guess?) but he's really gotta bring the smirking douchebaggery.

I think my fan casting for an I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League show back in 2005 was Bruce Campbell.

Ironically, the guy they got for Elongated Man in Flash would probably be an amazing Guy Gardener and looks like a young Bruce Campbell to boot.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Thirded, the background references to other Marvel characters was the most enjoyable part. A lot of the humor is shallow, the characters aren’t engaging enough to carry a scene, and the mutilating violence is too common to even get that shock laugh out of me. I was checking the time the whole first episode because it felt so long, which is never a good sign.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

So he's definitely Green Lantern.

In a surprise upset, he’ll be Power Ring

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I’m still waiting for Nick Fury to be revealed a Skrull in Secret Invasion, and now I’ve waited so long there’s a chance it can happen on TV!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Klungar posted:

...have you watched Spider-Man: Far From Home?

Ok so I think I may have legitimate brain issues

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

gonna be honest here this show is kind of making the other MCU shows look like amateur hour top to bottom

I thought FatWS was alright and I really enjoyed Wandavision, but Loki is on a whole other level for me. The TVA has big Brazil energy and I dig it, and Hiddleston so clearly loves the character that he’s a joy to watch.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It was only brought up briefly, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but can someone explain The Eradicator to me, because I literally only know it from when it was pretending to be Superman during The Death and Return from the 90s, but even based on that I know it had more history and was a Superman villain.

It’s an ancient alien device tasked with protecting Kryptonian life but it does so it monkey-paw fashion by altering dna and killing them if they leave Krypton. It winds up on Warworld and Superman is bestowed it and it tries to make him fascist so he throws it into the sun, but it uses solar energy to build a humanoid body on Earth that Superman also destroys. When Superman dies, the Fortress of Solitude robots reactivate Eradicator and make it retrieve Clark’s corpse, then use his dna to build a body for it but it gets confused and thinks it is Superman and thus the sunglass wearing stand-in we all know. When it realizes the truth of what it is, it sacrifices itself to fully restore Superman.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Gavok posted:

Not counting What If: Annihilation. We go into it thinking that it's 616 Uatu showing us this alternate universe. In the end, it's the guilt-ridden Uatu of that world showing everyone on Earth the story because everyone needs to bear witness to Cap, Iron Man and Nova's inspiring sacrifice for the sake of worldwide morale in the face of tragedy.

God, I love that issue.

Side note, my fiancé asked me what What If…? comics were about and I explained that there was an entertaining article series written by a guy I knew about who read all of them, and the short answer was, “how many ways can Spider-Man die?”

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Karma Tornado posted:

I think the Watcher should have a big nerd voice.

He threw me a bit when he called Steve a “skinny kid” at the beginning of the episode, just felt weird to have a vast cosmic observer speak so casually.

I also briefly confused Jeffrey Wright with Jeffrey Combs when I saw the name in the opening and was disappointed when he started speaking.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, I believe this is canon, just a lot cheaper to animate brief one-off adventures than to spend the time and energy to do it live action (they’d have to not only make a Hydra Stomper, but also use digital magic to keep Steve as scrawny and tiny as he was in the opening of First Avenger for an entire episode).

It’ll be cool if/when something from this show makes an appearance live action, and since they’ve said there’ll be at least one Captain Carter episode a season she seems like character to bring over (also because Haley Atwell is basically done with the MCU otherwise so she could easily be thrown into the “main” mix).

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I prefer the Star Wars little eyecatch thing, quick pan over a bunch of helmets, done. Marvel could switch over to showing various super heroes butts.

Black Widow got a head start on that!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

site posted:

maybe he'll loom larger and larger in every episode until the finale where he's like okay nope sorry gotta step in on this one

This is what I assumed from the very first “but I must never interfere!!”

Like okay, Uatu, you really convinced us you’ll never stick your nose in :rolleyes:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Iirc, weren’t they like Skrulls at the time where they’d worked out a deal with Fox to use the species name and other characters, but the higher profile members (Uatu/Super-Skrull) were off the table and still tied to the Fantastic Four rights?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

X-O posted:

I think Benedict Cumberbatch might be the best animation voice actor out of all the main characters we've seen yet. A lot of them have sounded a little stilted, he sounded totally natural in animation.

He’s practiced a lot with Mr. Underhill.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Isn’t David Thewlis playing Dee?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I look forward to watching him play old man Thor amongst the fourth wave of new actors 30 years from now.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Doesn’t know what crypto is, does invest in crypto

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

presumably a Shang-Chi spinoff of some kind, maybe focusing on Ta Lo or the Ten Rings? idk

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1467918001278054401

EDIT: Variety is reporting that the Disney+ series is a comedy, which certainly doesn't fit the obvious Shang-Chi spinoff possibilities, so maybe it's something unrelated

The further adventures of Trevor Slattery?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

God drat stargirl is both stupid, but really good. I hope they keep it this tight 12-13 episodes, but start expanding the JSA stuff more or adding other characters from that era. Looking at the all star squadron, infinity Inc, and young all-stars.

I love how unabashedly comic booky it is; it just starts off with people in full spandex throwing green flames and icicles at each other and never lets up, people immediately put on costumes when given powers, giant cgi monsters and robots every few episodes. It sloughed off that needlessly coy early ‘aughts tendency to hide superheroics behind the teen drama and presents them gloriously side by side. It’s not as deep or emotional as Doom Patrol but it’s leagues better than the more standard DC superhero fare that’s come before.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

ilikedirt posted:

Alternately; The Wizard did it

Wizard confirmed for MCU debut

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Opopanax posted:

With the Mr Knight change, I wonder if Jake will have his own costume. I can't really think of any other iconic MK suits though

The tactical black bodysuit with white plating is the o oh other major suit that sticks out in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

There’s also some background stuff with the GRC logo which places it post-Endgame.