Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm sorry, but I have to bring up the Justice League of America pilot from 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kHSllsVOE

I'm so sorry. :(

This is the only pure clip left on Youtube, but you can find the whole thing on shadier video sites if you're curious. It's really, really dire. We owe CBS for never greenlighting this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

And they're both superhero shows and people have expressed dissatisfaction at SHIELD's lack of comic appearances.

Well, Arrow is a show about a superhero, where Agents of SHIELD is a procedural show that happens to take place in a world with superheroes. It's okay to be disappointed that it doesn't have more comic jazz in it, but the show is trying to do its own thing. It essentially has zero SHIELD agents from the comics outside of Fury and Hill cameos (Coulson has made the jump from movies to comics, but that's different), so I went in expecting the comics material would be sparse. It's really an apples / oranges comparison because they're coming at their comics material from entirely different angles.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

The problem people are having is that there is not really any valid explanation for why the comic material SHOULD be sparse and that the show so far seems to be going out of its way to avoid comic material, such as refusing to just admit that the secret big bad guys this season are either AIM, Hydra, or both.

Well, the Marvel movies have been relatively low-key, and they're following in that motif. It's not really aimed at comic fans - it's glad to have them along for the ride - but instead is trying to push Marvel material to a mainstream audience, and is making big ratings, so it's successful for the moment. Arrow, on the other hand, is unapologetically genre TV, and is very successful... for WB show. Arrow may have a firmer grisp on its viewers, but it's grabbing for a smaller piece of the pie.

I'd love to see the most ridiculous comic nonsense featured, myself. "That's not Frank Castle, that's... some kind of... Franken-Castle!" But that's what the show is going to be about and I'm willing to just take it for what it is. It's not grand TV, but it's fine and fun enough for me to keep up for now and see if it has sharper hooks in the future.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, they'd have to go pretty far to top the comics, which had A) New York transformed into a literal hell and B) it getting totally covered up and people just accepting it as a mass hallucination. So.

If I were to give a guess re: Coulson based on the comics, it could be "Life Model Decoy", but I have a feeling it's something more subtle.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you mean? The show is getting really good ratings.

Agents of SHIELD is rocketing up the charts in ratings, yeah. Comic goons may or may not like it, but there are a lot of eyeballs on it, and that's what matters for Marvel and its partners.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

404GoonNotFound posted:

Please no. Doop is already dangerously close to becoming as overexposed as Wolverine was in the 90s and Deadpool in the 00s, despite Jason Aaron's best intentions.

Doop hasn't been a major character in a comic for nearly a decade now.

Anyway, I don't think X-Statix would really work? Maybe if you could get Adult Swim to throw in, but I can't see many venues for a profoundly misanthropic superhero series.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

They did not add Victoria Hand in just to go "hey comic nerds, know this character?!" no, she has to be part of a larger thing, like some aspects of SHIELD are not as noble as Coulson likes to think, which is obviously part of the plot for Cap 2.

She also mainly resembles her comic counterpart only superficially. Conceptually, she's pretty close to the opposite, where the comic version was defined by the fact she protested SHIELD's policies, so having her be the face of "the system" essentially makes her a different character. We'll see if they do anything interesting with her in the future, tho.

ToastyPotato posted:

Agree about May. Right now she is the weakest by a million miles. She is so cliched that most of her screen time has gotten almost painful to watch. This reached a new peak with yesterday's episode (which was actually quite good!)

What keeps making me cringe - and I'm gonna show as shallow here - is her hair. When I saw it pulled back for one scene I went "whoa, her hair is basically ruining her face". :(

It's getting a bit headscratchy that now we have half the cast right now with secrets that are a big deal, we swear hammered every episode. Tahtiti is a magical place yes I get it. I guess it's the consequence of wanting to be episodic and still have people be able to pick up the ongoing mysteries, the TV equivalent of comic book characters explaining their powers every time they use them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

greatn posted:

Well she was Osbourne's right hand man and towed his line pretty well. She was representative of the system then. Maybe Fury is already running things kind of like Osbourne.

Well, until she betrayed him entirely! But yes, until then...

HAMMER was basically the antithesis to SHIELD, but on the other hand the Ultimate Nick Fury (that sounds so silly to type) was a deeply morally challenged character. So many writers on the Ultimate line stacked morally questionable actions on their version of Fury and SHIELD that they start to make HAMMER and Osborn look relatively heroic.

I'm not really criticizing them for doing different stuff, but what they're doing is sufficiently different that I usually don't sweat the comic references, since it's more of a surface element than anything else. It's more of a shout-out than anything actually relating to comic storylines so far.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

By putting their logo on their stuff, they prove that it can't possibly be their stuff, because why would they put their own logo on if they're trying to stay secret?

These folks are professionals, there's a reason for all this. :ssh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I find it hard to tell if that particular issue of Hitman is reverential or mocking.

It's pretty good either way, tho.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Or more likely knows enough not to poo poo where he eats when he's eating there.

The Boys started out under a DC imprint, so eventually he felt confident enough to poo poo right onto his plate.

Then it was cancelled for some reason!... but he picked it up with Dynamite who let him to whatever the hell he wanted, for better or worse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Have you read Hitman? I used to have the exact same opinion and that just made me 180 on him. Also, his Hellblazer. Sometimes it feels like there are two Ennises.

I think there's one with an editor and one without, frankly.

Lightning Lord posted:

I know he legitimately doesn't like superheroes but at the same time I've never understood how things like this are somehow an unconscionable assault upon them, as if writers who wear Justice League underoos have never written goofy poo poo happening to these characters before.

Have you read The Boys? I don't think it's unconscionable - fictional characters don't need defending - but if that's not assault on the genre, I don't know what is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It'll be interesting to me to see what they do for Dr. Strange, considering he's a character that seems to benefit from being part of a shared universe more than others, since he has a hard time holding a comic on his own, but frequently appears in others. In addition, the Marvel movies have steered away from wholly magical explanations even when it would seem blatant (Thor), but it seems like that'd be harder to avoid with the Sorcerer Supreme.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

WB have no idea what to do with DC franchises and barring some unexpected home runs, I highly doubt DC as we know it will exist within the next 20 years.
Are you saying Warner Brothers could ruin a world-famous franchise? How would they do that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Space Jam is awesome and I will not hear anyone badmouthing that classic film.

It's not exactly Duck Amuck or Rabbit Season is all I'm saying. It was a fine movie, but it doesn't really hold up against the classic shorts. There are certainly worse Looney Tunes bits (the DePatie-Freleng Shorts, for example) but they're a bit harder to explain to people who haven't experienced them.

ToastyPotato posted:

Space Jam was fine and the current Looney Tunes show has been the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam. Loonatics Unleashed was the only real complete and utter failure that should never have left the drawing board.

"... the best use of the characters probably since Space Jam." isn't a high bar to clear. Or hoop, whichever. (Actually, I heard Back In Action was alright, but I haven't seen it.)

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah don't loving talk poo poo about Space Jam.

Too late.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

Well Space Jam was the best use of the characters since the 40's/possibly 50's. It was better than the later shorts by miles. The current Looney Tunes show is genuinely better than the later shorts as well.

Really I guess what sticks in my craw is just having to tie the characters to gimmickry, as if to say "Geez, nobody wants to watch the Looney Tunes anymore, what if we added..." If I have an essential point to get back to, it's the constant fiddling.

Of course, to beat the final Looney Tunes shorts you essentially just require a gag, they were... it was like aliens had tried to reconstruct Looney Tunes cartoons despite having no idea what a joke was.

... so, Young Justice!

The Young Justice bit just feels very calculated to me, like they realized their cartoon wasn't selling toys, so... they create a show more marketable to teens and adults! But I don't see how they can make it work as a live action show, particularly with Superboy and Miss Martian, double particularly on the budget DC shows seem to get.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TwoPair posted:

The game actually came out? Wow, I thought that would never happen. Too bad, I used to think my favorite part of YJ was that the two seasons were supposed to be bridged by a game that never happened.

Yeah, I was shocked when it dropped on Steam out of nowhere, but it looks pretty terrible, sadly. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Granted, Brubaker's take on Bucky Barnes was a complete retcon of the character. It turned out well, but it'll probably owe a lot more to the Brubaker take than Kirby and Simon's kid sidekick.