Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

If I've forgotten anything let me know and i'll edit it in.

I thought of a few things.

1950s: The Adventures of Superman, B&W and color

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2l4bz1FT8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C8d2qZrbA

'60s: The Green Hornet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwsqFjfKPs

'70s: Wonder Woman (they had a different one each season)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2JdJhAL94

The Incredible Hulk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAcneSU7ys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU5aTiJEGGk

Spider-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcCt2Ag4Sg

'80s: Superboy/The Adventures of Superboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzokRx6wixQ

'90s: Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-N3o1IAxFc
(this show apparently had a new intro variation every season :psyduck: )

Sorry for the awful quality on some of these, I'd make my own if I knew how just to not have hideously ugly versions as the only things available.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Not only that, but there is a CNN clip of a congressman or senator talking about super powered vigilantes or some such thing during that montage, so that is official government acknowledgement of the event. If the show is really going to try to play off that everything has been covered up, that is some horrible bullshit.

There were Avengers action figures in a storefront in the first episode and talk between Maria Hill and Coulson of the world having changed after New York blew the lid on aliens from other dimensions tearing up Manhattan, I don't see how they could be going down that track. It seems more to me that they want to either cover things that haven't yet become public or put them on damage control, so people think that crazy movie-level events are rare spectacles and not close to becoming commonplace.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

For over a decade I have wished for a parallel television series to run with one of the comic book movies and develop the world alongside them, even act as a breeding ground for properties that probably couldn't support a film by themselves. It's so awesome that Marvel's not only doing that but taking the idea even further, meanwhile DC is floundering to get more than one successful movie or television property on the screen in the same year :bang:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

WELLLLLLLLLL!

The most disturbing thing about all of this is that this gif makes him look like a huge Kevin James.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Ripping off Kirkman would be one way of ending a season, yeah.

Ripping off Kirkman? That was a shock twist in an original Star Trek episode. And that writer probably lifted it from something he read in a pulp scifi rag in the 40s.

The real twist would be something like: Coulson gets shot, rack zoom on the wound aaaaand it's bleeding! Someone goes "oh crap, he's human after all. That's a little disappointing..." Then suddenly the blood turns green and Coulson morphs into a SKRULL! *dun dun dunnnnnnnn* I'm so loving clev

Prison Warden posted:

He loves you.

goddamnit

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hulk was the superhero film that fans deserved, but not the one they needed.

vvv True that.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That criticism isn't as smart as it wasn't to be.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I can see the concept working out if Gotham were a one season show. But then it would feel like a prologue of sorts, maybe setting the groundwork for Bat-Affleck saga? :v:

This would work in the same universe where Smallville was a four-season show that transitioned to Metropolis and a full-fledged Superman.

I wish I lived in that universe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Gordon becomes Batman, Wayne becomes Robin. Do it Warner, go nuts

*Wayne smashes Gordon's badge with a police baton* "You wanna GET NUTS? Then COME ON, let's GET NUTS!"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

And the whole 'no tights, no flights' was the biggest anvil around Smallville's neck after like season 3. At some point, they needed to bite the bullet, and either the showrunners, Welling or a combination of the two, wouldn't take the leap.

"No tights no flights" came straight from the producers themselves, they thought it was a good idea. And Welling was adamant for no-tights all the loving way up to the very last scene of the damned series, which is why the very closest we ever got to him in the costume was the shirt-pull in said last scene. Smallville was born of a demon seed.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 14, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, that's fine then. That movie was fun. And maybe I can pretend Brimstone got reincarnated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_DHFQ588g

But I still kinda wanted an HBO Hellblazer.

Oh poo poo, Brimstone was great. If Constantine can have Peter Stormare and John Glover in a Satan-off over John's soul they can Keanufy him all they want.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I did not see someone mention the best part of this: you briefly see "Superman" on-screen pushing away Apokolips (NO SERIOUSLY, DARKSEID) in the costume.

It's all CGI because he wouldn't wear the outfit. The only time you see the costume is a goddamn Poser model.

Oh yeah, there were a couple of blurry red-blue superspeed smudges/super-distant dots that were supposed to be full-costume Superman, the CGI model as you said. They really went all-out there to pay off after a literal decade of teasing.

Lurdiak posted:

Wow, that was really Jor-El? I only caught a little bit of that (the episode where Jor-El puts a thing inside Clark that literally MAKES HIM EVIL) and I kinda just assumed it was Zod or some other evil Kryptonian posing as Jor-El just to be a convenient source of lovely manufactured drama for a season or two.

The first season or so of Jor-El interactions, it seemed they really wanted to make him genuinely antagonistic if not outright evil. WHAT A TWEEST! Then they pulled a big 180 and were like "SIKE! I was just testing you to make sure you didn't become corrupt with power or something, I actually really love you... but I'll still be a huge dick from time to time for no reason :razz:"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love how thick and heavy it looks, like he's wearing an entire tac squad's worth of armor and gear. It's something that only a serum-enhanced supersoldier could wear and still move so quickly in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"You want to bargain for my immortal soul? :ramsay:"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kellsterik posted:

I think the casual viewer would be perfectly okay stopping at "he's really fast, got it."

Going too far beyond that also gets us goofy poo poo like John Byrne's "it's really all subtle telekinesis!" for Superman's powers, too. The Speed Force is the ultimate :techno: of comics and about as impenetrable to non-hypernerds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't believe we haven't seen Agents of D.I.L.D.O. XXX yet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

I hate to be all "but that's different" but really that's different Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were a staple of the Avengers for a long time but Cloak and Dagger were essentially Spider-man properties.

Heck I just realized I wouldn't even know where to classify Cloak and Dagger they might be tied up with Spider-man via association or X-Men for being on again off again mutants or just general Marvel.

Sounds like a job for the continuity lawyers! Literally.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Squirrel girl steals the Thanos-chopper

And then throws Dr. Doom out of it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Looks kinda cool even, though I giggle at the thought of Batman's origins happening in 2014.
Did the Waynes die after taking Bruce to see Amazing Spider-man 2? Will Bruce start his kung-fu training with Youtube tutorials?

Little Bruce starts training in Japan, comes back six weeks later with 500 mangas and a body pillow girlfriend.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Not really. Certainly not as interesting as a glimpse of Zatanna would've been.

I'd say it's potentially interesting, considering Fate's power level and pedigree in the world of costumed superheroics. I'll be considerably more interested if this becomes the groundwork for a broader universe and not just an easter egg for comic nerds in the pilot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

Wow, that is the first legitimately clever idea they came up with. It's actually kind of brilliant.

Just wait til the last episode of the season, when all 22 Joker potentials fall into one vat of industrial waste at the same time! :holymoley:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:eng101: Disney Princesses don't have to actually be royalty, they just have to embody the "princess mythology". If Mulan can be a Disney Princess then so can Thor. :colbert:

(They usually also have to appear in a Disney musical film and they're not official until they have a special induction ceremony at Disneyland so neither Thor nor Angela nor Princess Leia qualify.)

Bullshit, Leia sang her coked-up heart out in the Star Wars Holiday Special and that's S-canon!!!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madkal posted:

They should do a Punisher 2099 musical

:black101:

It would be the greatest death metal rock opera of ALL TIME :rock:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wow, that looks just like the costume from that Incredible Hulk/Daredevil crossover movie in the 80s.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At this age shouldn't she be calling herself the Kitten?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

"Diana, you will be the first Amazon to leave this island and walk in Man's World. I believe they call it Seattle."

Themyscera will have a surprisingly temperate climate for a magical Grecian paradise.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Man, Wentworth Miller totally owned the role of Captain Cold in tonight's Flash. Already the best villain.

And they didn't even kill him off! And he got the stinger instead of Wells! This whole episode was chasing high after high.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, why would a guy from Europe want to learn Spanish anyway?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think it actually takes a fair bit of talent to be capable of "phoning it in", which implies that you aren't trying that hard in the first place. Plenty of bad actors are clearly giving it their all and simply coming up short; now Spader in The Blacklist, that's phoning it in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

All they needed on Flash was some kind of deadman's switch type thing linked to the bomb under Caitlyn's chair to force the cops to back off and make the Flash fight on their terms... and to not be dumb enough to put the backup plan explosive on a freaking timer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When they said his gun heats things to the Planck temperature it reminded me of this.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Who wants to bet that Starfire will not be orange.

Sure she will! They'll just get Snooki, on RDJ-style lifts.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Klungar posted:

The thing I read about Supergirl's first villain The Lumberjack was that he had fought Superman before.

Unless it's a major plot point, that can be fixed pretty easily with a dubbed line or two in post.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

...I just found out that the shooting title for AKA Jessica Jones (to, in theory, hide from locals what's being shot) is "Violet".

That just has me tickled pink.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Fox already had a police procedural starring Satan and it was called Brimstone. But that was amazing and shortlived and this will be terrible and probably go on forever like Gotham.

Error 404 posted:

That show was awesome and way ahead of its time.

Lurdiak posted:

Brimstone was too good for this world.

I'm glad other people remember that show. John Glover's Satan was a gift we clearly didn't earn.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think when you act as a vigilante in another nation it's called "terrorism". :obama:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I wonder if they mean tomorrow in general, or if they mean tomorrow during SHIELD.

New Flash preview shows Trickster and Mark Hamil complete with photos of Hamil in costume from the 90's show on the computer screen in STAR Labs (as news paper articles). Also, more time travel hype.

Spoilered stuff owns bones and could only possibly be better if they homaged some Shirley Walker music cues.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

Can't watch at the moment, why is it so awkward?

If you can't imagine how it would be awkward I don't know what to tell you.

Actually I know exactly what to tell you: everyone looks around for a moment because they can't break Clark Gregg's fragile fanboy heart, then Chris Evans blurts out "I'D LOVE TO BE ON YOUR SHOW!!!" and then the rest of them toss in funny excuses why they haven't done it yet and laugh like they just dodged a Bullet Bill.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And it wasn't a question from the press, it was basically a goony friend asking a clique he hung out with a few times "hay guys wanna come to my place for a sleepover party??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh yeah I see.

The show does do a good job of "we are not so different, you and I". That's cliched as hell, but usually it's bad because the villain and the hero are actually nothing alike. But Matt and Kingpin are very similar, it's just that Kingpin is willing to cross a line that Matt isn't. Which also makes the usually cliched as hell "I won't kill ever" moral dilemma actually an interesting look at why heroes are what they are and why villains are what they are.

I loved that scene with Wesley and Leland in the limo where Leland says "Why don't we just kill Healy?" Wesley explains that they've been dropping a lot of bodies lately and bodies leave a trail that leads to the killers, and even an organization as big as theirs can't consistently shut down every single investigation or keep every inquiry suppressed. It's a twisted counterpart to Matt's moral dilemma with beginning to kill, a sort of criminal ethical dilemma of when to stop killing. Both of them involve letting the immediate passion for their causes override the rational consideration for the future, and in the end Matt resists temptation and achieves his goals while Fisk's failure to rein himself in causes his downfall.