Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Chexoid posted:

Your prof sounds like he owns fairly hard.

Teaching smarter, not harder. If you're doing all the work and the students are sitting back and relaxing, something's wrong. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

das Kraken posted:

I haven't taken a class in 10 years. Please tell me what happened in the intervening time period that makes it OK for people to wear a fedora in a classroom.

Reddit

diabeticmoodswing
Nov 13, 2012
I am a lazy piece of shit with zero discipline that leeches of her {ED: FTFY) crippled family. I pretend to have problems and know the DSM front to back rather than admit my failings are of my own creation. Please pity me and tell me what I want to hear.
Over fall break my school took out all of the AC units in my hall and it's too hot to sleep at night :(

Like, I know it's October and this is Maryland but for some reason the residence halls are so stuffy and I really need to have some cold air so I can sleep and wake up on time for my 8:30 class.

Also the dining hall serves grilled chicken and french fries everyday and some lady put Kraft American cheese on my spinach wrap. 50k tuition and you can't even put some cheddar on this? Ridiculous.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Alright, but what about bringing an entire Arby's meal to class and eating it like that's in any way what a normal human being does in society?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There was a bench by the education building that was perfectly placed to have a nice ray of sunshine on it during a break in classes so I would take naps there when the weather permitted. That was a good bench.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Zurreco posted:

My Risk Assessment professor is insanely smart and one of the national leaders in Epidemiology. That being said, she uses the word "irregardless" all the time and pronounces nuclear as "nukular."

Once when walking down a hallway I overheard someone say "disirregardless".

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The college I went to shared some facilities with a university, including a cafeteria and library. The difference in the quality of the buildings was pretty stark. The college had bare floors, the same hard plastic chairs and tables I remember from highschool, those ugly yellows, oranges, and browns that were popular in the 70s and 80s, and never any carpet anywhere ever. The university had carpets, chairs with cushions, lovely lecture halls with swiveling chairs, and lights that didn't buzz like angry bees.

I knew I had made the wrong choice from the start, but it wasn't until the financial crisis and recession hit that I realized just how badly I hosed up in choosing journalism. :smith:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

das Kraken posted:

Alright, but what about bringing an entire Arby's meal to class and eating it like that's in any way what a normal human being does in society?

Those people are just assholes.

On that note, people who don't understand that they will be in close proximity with other people and they should probably bathe. Dude, cologne/perfume is not a viable replacement for hygiene. You smell like b.o., puke and weed stank.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
A bunch of dorks eat up 3 or 4 tables with Pathfinder books, Magic decks and laptops every time I go into grab lunch in the cafeteria. Earliest I've been in to eat is 11:00 and latest is 1:30 and they're always there. They're never eating or studying. As someone that runs a D&D table and is in a few groups as a player, loving nerds ruin college.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nearly every semester when I try to register for classes, all the ones I want are at the same goddamn time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Couches in the library are too comfortable.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Couches in the library are too comfortable.

They also have chlamydia.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Picnic Princess posted:

Nearly every semester when I try to register for classes, all the ones I want are at the same goddamn time.

yea this. what the gently caress are they thinking. what's so awesome about Wednesday at 10:30.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Double Plus Good posted:

I had a girl routinely eat big macs next to me during lecture. Sloppy-rear end mayonnaise-smelling big macs. Also, once she picked her nose and ate the contents for the entire class period. It was an ~honors course~ so we had ~unconventional seating arrangements~ where we shared tables with people arranged in a circle. Somehow I got stuck with this girl and I had to endure it every day for the whole semester. :barf:

What the gently caress kind of life does a person lead where that kind of behavior is acceptable? Did nobody in her life ever say "That's gross, stop it"? Did her parents ever tell her not to? God drat, some peoples' kids.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
For what it's worth, I filed a legit complaint based on the fact that hearing people talk while chewing drives me into a psychotic state. Just throwing that out there.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
I teach a Russian class, and one of my students looks to be about in his mid twenties and an internet person. You'd think with all the widespread anti-fedora awareness all over the entirety of the internet, he'd get the message that no one finds him or his briefcase, suspenders, trench coat, fedora, greasy long hair, and pubic goatee "quirky, alluring, or classy". I really wouldn't care except for the fact that he shoves it in your face (nearly literally, he spent the first three weeks trying to show off to the rest of the class how DIFFERENT!!! he was with his briefcase, claiming he knows it's 'lame and nerdy and totally 50s but I love the style') and can't shut up about his unique sense of style (that the Engineering Department has a monopoly on in the next building over) He's one of those "xDDDD COMMUNISM!" types of Russian students as well (imagine weeaboo students for Japanese studies), and he likes to shout about Chuck Norris in 2013. It hurts sometimes.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Yeah Bro posted:

Never take a Political Sciences course, ever. The only people who attend them are hardcore libertarians who'll poo poo up lectures and tutes with bullshit about not being able to ride a bike without a helmet. It is basically hell.

PoliSci major here.

I agree there is at least one (but usually only one) libertarian who spouts bullshit and dumb arguments that have no impact on the world. They are hated and trash-talked by everyone after class about whatever dumb tangent happened this time. In my case, it was Dwayne, who somehow invoked Hitler when it came to discussing offshore oil and its economic impact (don't ask, I dunno). Everyone hated that guy and I remember literally writing "trainwreck, holy poo poo, trainwreck" in my notebook during his presentation when he invoked Godwin's Law.

Everyone else, though, was loving chill as poo poo and friendly and we would all hang out and get coffee regardless of how you voted. The majority were liberals, but a couple moderates and even a few sane conservatives all there to learn. The batshit crazy ones don't go for post-secondary in the field or get ostracized like Dwayne.

On-topic: My biggest complaint would have to be parking, it makes you want to have those early classes just so you can find a spot.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
We had an assignment due on the last day of semester that was graded 50% on a verbal presentation and 50% on a poster. The teacher sat there looking bored through all our presentations and then, as soon as the last one was done, told us to take all our posters down without having looked at them. I asked her if she was going to read them and her response was "I'm on holiday as of the end of this class, I'm not cutting into my own time just to read your posters." Also everybody I spoke to from that class got the exact same mark as I did, so I guess she took the 'gently caress it' attitude to its logical extreme.

P.S. - How do you guys feel about group work? I love group assignments, I totally feel like they're useful and constructive opportunities to learn about teamwork in a professional envirohahahaha gently caress it gently caress them gently caress everything :unsmigghh:

Avshalom has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Oct 19, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'll regularly end up with books I didn't use at the end of a semester, but it's become less of a bother since I started buying them online for as dirt cheap as possible. That wasn't an option at a community college summer course I took, where the professor had authored the book in question- though I can't blame anyone for trying to gather the funds and reputation to escape that place.

Avshalom posted:

P.S. - How do you guys feel about group work? I love group assignments, I totally feel like they're useful and constructive opportunities to learn about teamwork in a professional envirohahahaha gently caress it gently caress them gently caress everything :unsmigghh:

I'm still recovering for the one I had to do this week. We had to assemble a set of book reviews into a single document, then each of us had to upload the same document separately, while trying to interpret our professor's vague instructions and remember what the other groups had done to make sure we weren't missing something- and all of this was done the night before at a cafe since one of us had to work all week and my dumb rear end slept in on the other possible meeting day before we could work something out. Wasn't my classmates fault, but goddamn am I glad it is over.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Razorwired posted:

A bunch of dorks eat up 3 or 4 tables with Pathfinder books, Magic decks and laptops every time I go into grab lunch in the cafeteria. Earliest I've been in to eat is 11:00 and latest is 1:30 and they're always there. They're never eating or studying. As someone that runs a D&D table and is in a few groups as a player, loving nerds ruin college.

Oh man this is a thing?

I saw some guys do something similar to this. They brought in a loving 30" TELEVISION and a playstation, while they played Marvel vs. Capcom and some anime game while they took up like three tables. They also were blaring anime and MLP on their laptops while shouting some dumbfuck memes.

Plenty of fedoras. Enough to make me double take and possibly think this was some sort of surrealist art exhibit.

I mean, video games are cool and poo poo guys, but can you like play it at home or something? I mean, why the cafeteria? It seems like it would be a lot of wasted effort to haul a loving television into a cafeteria, only to have everyone stare at you for being socially dense.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I mean, why the cafeteria?

Proximity to food? That begs the question of why they don't just order a pizza or something in private. Is space at a premium at your university? I can't even imagine someone doing something so obnoxious here- you'd get hurled out by the staff.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I remember when I first got to college in 08, I spotted a table of nerds playing Magic and talking about their DND characters. Oh cool, I thought, I need friends and they like the same stuff I do! So I went over to talk to them during lunch.

Never made that mistake again. One of em was wearing a fur tail and ears. :gonk:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

crime fighting hog posted:

Never made that mistake again. One of em was wearing a fur tail and ears. :gonk:

I knew about five different people who went around wearing tails. Not just little things either, they'd take up an extra seat in the lecture hall so they wouldn't break them by sitting on them. To be fair they did take the tails off if there weren't enough seats.

There was also the hardcore grimdark dude in the long black leather coat with his totally unique sociopathic humour. Never spotted him in a fedora, though he did once show up late to an 'Intro to Genocide' lecture in a gas mask. The lecturer didn't turn to look at him since she was busy fixing the projector and he stood in the doorway for a little while like he was waiting for her to react :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

I had one class that the professor decided to make a semester long group assignment. The problem was, I already had the smallest group, then one person dropped the class at week five, so it was just two people. Then towards the end, I got that swine flu that was going around. Which gave me pneumonia. So we had two people working on basically an impossible project that had changed twice based on the professors whims, with like no time to do it in. Somehow we still passed.

He also gave a final exam, that we could do at home! But he still wanted it written in a blue book! So we had to print it out and handwrite the whole essay into a blue book? The subject of the class?

Enviornmental Protection

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I'm probably going to sound obnoxiously old fashioned here but when did raising hands stop? We did it in class until the end of high school. Then I started college and now everyone just starts talking over each other without being called on.

I have a professor this year who will give us instructions on an assignment, and then check everyone's progress a half hour in and tell us that we are all doing it incorrectly. they will then "repeat" only vaguely related instructions.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
My fall break this semester was advertised 12-15th. Yes the weekend was counted. Jesus if you only want to give us 2 days just say it and don't bullshit us.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Kavak posted:

Proximity to food? That begs the question of why they don't just order a pizza or something in private. Is space at a premium at your university? I can't even imagine someone doing something so obnoxious here- you'd get hurled out by the staff.

I know right? I thought that at first too but they were eating PB&J's they brought from home. Like literally making sandwiches right there. The staff don't give a gently caress because it's a CC and probably hate being there. Space is indeed a premium, especially at lunch hours, so they were just being socially awkward dicks.

Whatever, I'm transferring to a CSU soon anyways; so maybe I might have more content for this thread. :pseudo:

Also

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Playing Magic at least I can understand. That doesn't take up much space and can be played across a table fairly easily.

But really, people bringing TVs? :psyduck:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

VogeGandire posted:

Playing Magic at least I can understand. That doesn't take up much space and can be played across a table fairly easily.

But really, people bringing TVs? :psyduck:

You see, this would be cool if they used the square side tables.

But it's often two guys playing across a big 9 seater in the center of the room. Which normally would have several parties/individuals eating there. The way they do it eats up 9 goddamn seats for a 2 player card game.

And like Glasgow said, I never see them ordering anything. Which is probably why they don't play in coffee shops.

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I'm probably going to sound obnoxiously old fashioned here but when did raising hands stop? We did it in class until the end of high school. Then I started college and now everyone just starts talking over each other without being called on.

In my anthro class this happens with the front row all the time. And the guy that always does it just wants to talk. I mean, don't be afraid of contributing but if every third word you say is like then maybe you should gather your thoughts before you start running your mouth.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh man, on the topic of hand raising, it reminded me of something that always pisses me off. You know that guy who always has something to prove? You know, where has to constantly raise his hand and input his knowledge on the subject? And it's not just answering a question and adding a two second anecdote. It's up to the point where the professor is there waiting for him to shut the gently caress up so he can continue teaching.

It's not them wanting to run their mouth off, it's them wanting to peacock.

I'm paying for the professor to teach me, dickhole. Not you, Mr. Wikipedia.

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Oct 20, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pageerror404 posted:

My fall break this semester was advertised 12-15th. Yes the weekend was counted. Jesus if you only want to give us 2 days just say it and don't bullshit us.

What is a Fall Break? Like a Spring Break?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Razorwired posted:

In my anthro class this happens with the front row all the time. And the guy that always does it just wants to talk. I mean, don't be afraid of contributing but if every third word you say is like then maybe you should gather your thoughts before you start running your mouth.

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Oh man, on the topic of hand raising, it reminded me of something that always pisses me off. You know that guy who always has something to prove? You know, where has to constantly raise his hand and input his knowledge on the subject? And it's not just answering a question and adding a two second anecdote. It's up to the point where the professor is there waiting for him to shut the gently caress up so he can continue teaching.

I feel like I come close to being this a lot of the time, though I also try to raise my hand and stop myself if I lose my train of thought.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
-

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 17, 2014

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I have this guy in one of my classes. I am not even creative enough to make up the fact that he was wearing a fedora and a pocketwatch the other day. I don't think I even need to mention the fact that he's about 19 years old. He has clearly been told his entire life that he's smart, but I haven't heard a single original thought out of him. It's a really rough type of character to have in an intro to philosophy class.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
That reminded me of this person who was in an algebra course I had a couple years ago. They would always shout out jokes about whatever the professor was trying to tell us. She was super loud and would always turn to the rest of the class and do that shoulder shrug like "am I right?". The professor would just do their best to ignore her and continue teaching, she would do it about five times a class on average. She would always end up complaining about how hard the class was and about how she kept failing the tests. I ended up tutoring her in english last year and shes is not good at that subject either. I have no idea why.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
I can really do nothing but feel sympathy for people like that. They clearly have some sort of compulsion. I just wish they could have it in private.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
If it was in private how would they get any attention?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lizard Wizard posted:

For content: most programming classes at my college use an e-homework site. This invariably requires students to buy new textbooks so as to have a license for the website. Recently, my Java professor sent out an email stating that the bulk of the e-homework was optional. Sure am glad I had to drop money on that new textbook.

My very first semester I ended up having to take a remedial math class with a textbook/CD combo that was basically unsellable at the end of the semester because the CD had a key that made it one-time use only. Also dumb was the fact that the whole class basically consisted of showing up to the classroom and using the software on the CD to teach ourselves math on our school-issued laptops. Of course if we could do that, we probably wouldn't have needed a remedial class.

This college also forced me to buy an expensive campus meal plan even after I explained that I never used the campus food services (because the few times I did I got incredibly sick).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Avshalom posted:

I was on an animation course, where I met some of the biggest work shy cunts I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. Need 12 frames of black and white inked and coloured in a week? You'd get the roughs in two, which would be janky as hell. They moved to the middle of nowhere and then complained about the parking charges (£1 for maybe an hour lecture for the whole week). Everything the course did was wrong including trying to force them away from anime and do some drat life drawing.

I had to work as a director for the first time in my three years there, relying on second years (who don't give a poo poo) and these third years (who are just plain poo poo). The whole thing was just a huge mess and I so wish there was something other than "firing" them that could have been done, or altenatively that ANY group work had happened before the final year of the course.

Similarly, a friend of mine was railroaded into using a particular software for animating rather than using stop-motion, mainly for speed, industry potential etc, which is fair enough. Except none of the lecturers had any idea how to use it and had to get a guy to come in to teach her specifically. Turns out there was only one technical animator on staff. Eventually she used another software with the exact same results and they didn't have a clue, instead of the buggy poo poo they recommended.

So this isn't all about how super-fun animation is, why is there always someone with a guitar in places you're trying to concentrate? Just lounging about during finals week strumming.

• Locked thread