Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
lol i probably bombed my orgo II midterm

sigh.....time to get the shopping cart out and the sack of oranges to sell by the freeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

Not to be the professional rear end in a top hat who is all like "well I have work experience" way post college age, but I'm going to: the feeling of "I burned 6 hours on this poo poo that is probably going to be wrong or thrown away anyways" is valuable work experience.
Source: am in IT as a designer/implementor.

I'm going back to school to get away from IT. I'm fleeing that poo poo! :v:

Glasgow Kiss posted:

lol i probably bombed my orgo II midterm

sigh.....time to get the shopping cart out and the sack of oranges to sell by the freeway

Of three exams last week I did fine on one, made a logical error on the second which resulted in thirty minutes lost and a page of useless calculations in an hour long exam, and in the third I looked at a confusingly worded question and said, "I think they're asking for this, but if they are then fifty percent of the information here is extraneous."

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Hey, does anyone have any experience with mental health counseling at unis? How was it?

I think I really need it.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Like, I think I'm having a nervous breakdown or something. It's been hard focusing the past semester and I feel this semester is getting worse right now.

gently caress.....should I tell my PI's? I always had anxiety and some depression poo poo but it's getting worse and worse now. I don't want to throw away my opportunities in performing research but I think this inability to focus is really loving me over.

gently caress.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Not really a complaint, but: what is it with lecturers and Comic Sans?

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Hey, does anyone have any experience with mental health counseling at unis? How was it?

At one point last semester I started having suicidal thoughts, so I called my university health center. It turns out they weren't able to see me due to various prescription conflicts, but the woman who took my call stayed on the line with me for about half an hour giving me websites I could visit and various psychologists in the area. Basically, if you're going to any university with a big enough student base, they'll have a mental health unit of the health center that is equipped to work with you.

And, just some advice from someone who's been in a situation close to yours (clinical depression that tends to worsen with stress, with attendant panic and anxiety attacks): please don't try waiting or toughing it out. You've already recognized that you need help, which is a huge first step - now take that next step and follow through! And I'm not sure what PI stands for, but if it means your adviser/professor/instructor, I would suggest telling them. If they have any experience at all in working with students, they'll likely be understanding, and can possibly help you find a way to lessen your stress, or at least space it out some.

You can do it!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Like, I think I'm having a nervous breakdown or something. It's been hard focusing the past semester and I feel this semester is getting worse right now.

gently caress.....should I tell my PI's? I always had anxiety and some depression poo poo but it's getting worse and worse now. I don't want to throw away my opportunities in performing research but I think this inability to focus is really loving me over.

gently caress.

I don't have experience with mental health on campus but it sounds like you should definitely talk to someone. Don't wait around. Address the issue as soon as you can. Your research opportunities mean nothing if your mental health is compromised.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Booked an appointment today at 1:30. Told my PI, he was very understanding. He offered to lessen workload for me, very compassionate. I like the guy, he's funny as hell and sharp as gently caress. He seemed concerned. He expressed concern for summer internship, I'll be out of state. Worried about my summer internship, I wanna go still! I love traveling oddly enough!Hope he doesn't think I'm nuts, I walked out my genetics class and went right over, slightly under the effect of this stupid rear end disease. I was very fidgety and I felt like a tweaker!

I tried fighting this poo poo for all my life. I need help and I'm going to get it. gently caress anxiety and depression, they're getting evicted from my mind. It's not normal to feel fear and dread everyday. I deserve better!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah! You can do it! :)

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Seriously, I feel hopeful for the first time in forever. I want to be a scientist! I'm not dumb as poo poo, I want to work in a lab! I just gotta eliminate these handicaps! And if I need help, so be it.

I have the capacity to. gently caress, it's carthartic. I hope the counselor doesn't suck....

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If your counselor sucks just get another one. They understand and want you to be with somebody who can help you. That's probably not them being bad just you and that counselor didn't click. Don't feel bad if that happens.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If your counselor sucks just get another one. They understand and want you to be with somebody who can help you. That's probably not them being bad just you and that counselor didn't click. Don't feel bad if that happens.

I understand. Man, I hope my family doesn't act irrationally stupid about this. Immigrant families don't understand the nuances of mental disorders. I gotta tell my other PI about this. This sucks, it was kinda easier to bottle it in, but look what happened.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I made extensive use of mine for nearly 2 years while working through some post-traumatic stress, then working through the underlying issues that caused my initial reaction.

Knowing that a non-judgmental person was there to listen to me once a week made dealing with everything else a lot easier.

Also, a girl I knew was one of the receptionists in the health unit. It was fun watching her pretend to not recognize me.

Oh, and the psychologist looked like a young George Clooney. Telling your problems to George Clooney is fun.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Glasgow Kiss posted:

it was kinda easier to bottle it in

Always seems like this, doesn't it?

It's not. Glad you're letting people know and getting professional help. Oh, and re: your fear that it might suck--if you and your counselor end up being incompatible, just politely mention it and try a new one. They won't be offended or hurt. Their jobs are to make sure you get the care you need, and if it takes swapping someone else in, they'll be happy to.

Best of luck!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

It went kinda well, I woke up today a little more positive and chipper. Her advice wasn't exactly a panacea but I'll guess I go back to the gym, trying to eat healthier, and if possible get more sleep. Cutting out coffee. She referred me to a pysch to see if meds would be appropriate (I asked, I done these things she suggested before) and I guess I'll be taking up CBT.

Well, enough e/n poo poo. I might make a thread there. Now on topic, my microbial genetics professor is by far the worst professor I have ever had. There's is so much poo poo that I'll just reiterate from the email I sent to the dean of the department:

quote:

I want to express my concerns for the level of instruction that I am currently receiving from [REDACTED] for my microbial genetics class.

I was present yesterday with a couple of other students where we expressed our concerns to you with [REDACTED] method of teaching this course. As it stands right now, the class seems entirely improvised, where [REDACTED] seems to quiz/test us on topics that do not follow what is presented on the syllabus or are topics that are on the extreme periphery of the subject matter. His method of proctoring seems to be entirely haphazard, where the questions he generates are extremely expansive yet the answers he demands are incredibly specific. They are specific to the point that he would award no points if a key phrase or word is missing, even though the student would answer the question correctly. Additionally, he does not grade our quizzes and midterms, forcing us to grade other classmates tests. This understandably creates an environment where some students are given an unfair advantage if they know who is grading their test materials, granting themselves a maximum amount of points in spite of whether they are correctly answering his questions or not. His questions tend to fluctuate as well, where he would ask a certain question and immediately after the conclusion of the exam, demand answers for entirely different contextual situation. This occurred on midterm, where he asked for the definition of metagenomics and transcriptomics (which weren’t present in the available study materials and book) and upon collection of the midterm, demanded the an explanation of the use and purpose of those fields, questions he did not ask at the start of the exam. Additionally, he did not print out an official copy of the midterm and suggested that for our 3 problem midterm, that we create our own question for the last problem. All of this was done haphazardly, on a sheet of paper. And were tasked with grading our own midterms. While grading our exams, he also had no clear idea on assigning a point scale for the examination. One question that was originally worth 10 points spontaneously became a 15 point question, in spite of him detailing that it would be 10 points 40 minutes prior.

Additionally, when lecturing (or lack thereof), he redirects us to consult youtube for a multitude of topics while deflecting answering of any questions proposed by students in the course. In the rare situation where he does engage us in the classroom, he ignores any answers that are relayed to him by the students and sometimes agrees with answers that undoubtedly incorrect, which could possibly be detrimental to students who have less of a background in the field than other students. The powerpoint materials that he provided to us are limited in the information they are supposed to relay (one slide only contained a single word and no definition). Attempts to have him clarify on the meaning of that particular slide are met with further deflection. Not only that, but the material he covers during class are sparse, where he quickly goes through powerpoint slides and instead of elaborating on the content, he focuses his class discussion on a “project” that lacks a rubric and seems to lack substance. He has presented no clear indication for the guidelines for this project (ranging from a 2 minute presentation to a research project, it varies everyday). He also will cease lecturing for the last five weeks of the course and suggested that this would be used for the nebulous project in question. And what little time that is not used to discuss the enigmatic project in question, he goes off into tangents about acquiring jobs in industry. Time that would’ve been normally used to help us to solidify a proper foundation for our knowledge of this field and its materials.

It is my personal belief that [REDACTED] is not meeting the educational standards set by [My school]. I find the instruction that I receive from other instructors at this institution to be quite excellent and worthwhile. [Redacted] is the exception to this rule. He is not adequately instructing us on the material presented in the course and seems to be extremely disorganized and unversed in the subject at hand.

I thank you for considering the complaints we have lodged against this professor and I waive any confidentiality if the situation warrants.

He also lost my friends' quizzes and docked them points. He also lost my friend's midterm and says he is failing the class, even though my friend's name is on someone else's exam because he corrected it. Another friend was also contacted by him saying that his study habits need to improve. That friend has a 4.0 gpa and already has published papers as an undergrad. A friend sent out a mass email to other students in the class to express their concerns about this class and the dean is aware of this dipshit.

Lastly, for some for funny as poo poo, another classmate who also hates him found his soundcloud while looking for his linkedin. Oh my loving god, it is the funniest poo poo ever:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s15UhNXoYGuY

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Mar 2, 2017

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My school's toxic stress culture has systematically destroyed me by exacerbating my mental health problems, which has lead to the near complete destruction of my social circle because I can't actually handle the stress and start to lash out when it kicks in.

On the plus side, it got me a clinical diagnosis and medication.

...but I definitely flunked my probability midterm.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Warmachine posted:

My school's toxic stress culture has systematically destroyed me by exacerbating my mental health problems, which has lead to the near complete destruction of my social circle because I can't actually handle the stress and start to lash out when it kicks in.

On the plus side, it got me a clinical diagnosis and medication.

Same for organic II and well a lot of everything else you described. We'll get through this!:sympathy:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Fatal Error posted:

Not really a complaint, but: what is it with lecturers and Comic Sans?

Kill it (comic sans) with fire.

The VC at my university sends out monthly updates not only written large font Comic Sans, but purple-coloured large font Comic Sans.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Warmachine posted:

I'm dreading getting back my semiconductor devices midterm. 5 multipart questions, answer 3. Every single question had a part that I was completely blank on how to answer and we only had 80 minutes to do it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OniPanda posted:

I'm dreading getting back my semiconductor devices midterm. 5 multipart questions, answer 3. Every single question had a part that I was completely blank on how to answer and we only had 80 minutes to do it

I totally hosed up an exam I took last week that I'm getting back tomorrow. The only thing that is saving me from jumping off a cliff is that I got 97%+ on the rest of my midterms and this class is apparently heavily curved.

Also, the lack of cliffs in the immediate vicinity.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Yeah, glad to know that I'm not alone with the midterm fuckery.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ms Boods posted:

Kill it (comic sans) with fire.

The VC at my university sends out monthly updates not only written large font Comic Sans, but purple-coloured large font Comic Sans.

I used to dislike Comic Sans but then I learned from a dyslexic person that the font is actually one of the most dyslexia-friendly fonts out there.Could explain why you see it all the time in education. I may not like the look of it as much as I do other fonts, but knowing that fact about it changed my opinion of it.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Have you ever been in a situation where you feel like you're surrounded by idiots? I hadn't until I signed up for a Children's Literature class as an elective. Aside from my professor who was great, my classmates were amazingly stupid, and made Homer Simpson look like a genius. You can't really enjoy or learn from it when the professor has to explain what an apostrophe or verb is for starters.

They were all English and Writing majors so there was no excuse.

Highlights:

Bitching about how one book was too long and complicated. The book: Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.

Not even bothering to hide their phones while the professor talked. Ignoring him every time he asked them to put their phones away.

Their reports, that we were supposed to proofread for others, were full of enough spelling errors to make Merriam-Webster cry, and actually included stuff like lol, omg, and so on.

The thing to top all others was at the end of the year. Our final presentation was basically a book report on any children's book as long as it was more than 100 pages. He reminded us of it every class for months and sent us reminder emails the week before it was due. It was middle school level stuff designed so the geniuses couldn't gently caress up. On the due date, I was literally the only one who actually did the report. He essentially said gently caress it, and promptly informed them that they had all failed the class due to the lack of work turned in. Seriously, it was literally the only assignment we had, since the other classes were discussions.

How the hell people like that get into a $40,000 college with actual standards, I will never know.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What school was this?

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Kavak posted:

What school was this?

Columbia College Chicago

Aka a Liberal Arts college where you'll probably have at least one writing intensive course and they pretty much spell it out for you. I somehow doubt they lasted much longer afterwards. Thankfully all of my other classes had people who took the subject seriously. I just had the bad luck to have a class full of idiots.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nicaden posted:

How the hell people like that get into a $40,000 college with actual standards, I will never know.

Rich kids with rich parents I imagine. They probably went to a school where they were told they were geniuses and given A's for minimal/no effort. Self-esteem makes kids do better, after all, so we must encourage good self-esteem above all else. Never make them feel bad about themselves ever for any reason.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
You're surprised that Children's Literature attracted mental children?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Nicaden posted:

Columbia College Chicago

Aka a Liberal Arts college where you'll probably have at least one writing intensive course and they pretty much spell it out for you. I somehow doubt they lasted much longer afterwards. Thankfully all of my other classes had people who took the subject seriously. I just had the bad luck to have a class full of idiots.

88.5% acceptance rate suggests that their major criterion is "do you have money"

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Nicaden posted:

I ask this question a lot. I go to the University of Michigan, a school with (ostensibly) high standards, and there's still so many people that make me question how they get out of bed without killing themselves. In almost every class, there has been that guy who asks a question where the answer is literally on the slide currently being displayed, or asks what something is when the teacher just explained it, or something so basic that it makes me headdesk. Got a guy on our research project that was tasked with writing code for an ADC (analog to digital converter) who very clearly doesn't understand how they work, and doesn't appear capable of understanding his lack of understanding or remedying it. He has hosed up literally every task he's been given. I sit there and :psyduck: every single day

Gitro
May 29, 2013
In a (theoretically) short student presentation discussing quality of life in a nursing course:

'Life can refer to all organisms, but here means specifically humans.'

Wow, thanks, really cleared that up for us.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My school has started gearing up for fall registration. Unless I get really lucky, I'm going to have at least two days a week where I get to school at 7am and leave after 8pm. :negative:

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Out of seven ethical dilemma scenarios only two of them are actual dilemmas. One is just an ethical consideration, one isn't a dilemma, one is solvable, one is a situation the individual has no control over and I don't really understand what the dilemma is supposed to be in the last one.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Random Stranger posted:

My school has started gearing up for fall registration. Unless I get really lucky, I'm going to have at least two days a week where I get to school at 7am and leave after 8pm. :negative:

Heh just like the real world

Gitro
May 29, 2013
This week's ethics class was about how abortion is murder (with a very thinly veiled 'because we're created in God's image') and moral objectivism is correct. I'm not sure why this was necessary in a general healthcare ethics class in the first place. I guess the physios and ambos will know what to do next time they're asked to perform an abortion.

Its still pissing me off. Teaching ethics should never be about telling people what is right and wrong.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Random Stranger posted:

Unless I get really lucky, I'm going to have at least two days a week where I get to school at 7am and leave after 8pm. :negative:

Hi, this half the days of my week, every week :coffeepal:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

It was all the days of my week.

:weed:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I found a copy of the current assignment for the introductory programming class I hated last semester sitting on a table in the lounge. I had to make a terrible grade book assignment that had structure imposed on it half way through that broke everything I had already done. The people in the current semester are making small text adventures. Why the gently caress didn't I take it this semester! I've actually placed pretty well in ifcomp and can code a decent Infocom style parser. Though I guess the unfortunate TA who had to grade my programming assignments last semester would be completely broken by what I turned in for this ("Look, I just found it easier to implement a z-machine interpreter and then write my actual game in that."). :v:

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I just ran into one of my profs at a club where we were both dressed to impress, gently caress I'm glad it's the end of the term or it woulda made poo poo WEIRD

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Saeku posted:

I just ran into one of my profs at a club where we were both dressed to impress, gently caress I'm glad it's the end of the term or it woulda made poo poo WEIRD

I'm assuming this is a euphemism for something, but :lol: if you ran into your prof at a sex club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Had a GenEd writing/presenting course last quarter. There were 4 main assignments--a short oral presentation, a longer essay, a "podcast," and a longer oral presentation. These were spread through the quarter. I never received feedback or grades on the final product of any of the four assignments--literally the only grade I got in that class was the final grade--no idea how it came to be, no idea what the weight of the assignments, nothing. For all I know the prof didn't even read my essay or listen to the bullshit "podcast".
Apparently the prof's been suffering from cataracts lately, making it harder for her to do stuff, but still. It's pretty frustrating to put work into stuff and see literally zero evidence that the prof's even looked at it.

• Locked thread