Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'll regularly end up with books I didn't use at the end of a semester, but it's become less of a bother since I started buying them online for as dirt cheap as possible. That wasn't an option at a community college summer course I took, where the professor had authored the book in question- though I can't blame anyone for trying to gather the funds and reputation to escape that place.

Avshalom posted:

P.S. - How do you guys feel about group work? I love group assignments, I totally feel like they're useful and constructive opportunities to learn about teamwork in a professional envirohahahaha gently caress it gently caress them gently caress everything :unsmigghh:

I'm still recovering for the one I had to do this week. We had to assemble a set of book reviews into a single document, then each of us had to upload the same document separately, while trying to interpret our professor's vague instructions and remember what the other groups had done to make sure we weren't missing something- and all of this was done the night before at a cafe since one of us had to work all week and my dumb rear end slept in on the other possible meeting day before we could work something out. Wasn't my classmates fault, but goddamn am I glad it is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

I mean, why the cafeteria?

Proximity to food? That begs the question of why they don't just order a pizza or something in private. Is space at a premium at your university? I can't even imagine someone doing something so obnoxious here- you'd get hurled out by the staff.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Razorwired posted:

In my anthro class this happens with the front row all the time. And the guy that always does it just wants to talk. I mean, don't be afraid of contributing but if every third word you say is like then maybe you should gather your thoughts before you start running your mouth.

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Oh man, on the topic of hand raising, it reminded me of something that always pisses me off. You know that guy who always has something to prove? You know, where has to constantly raise his hand and input his knowledge on the subject? And it's not just answering a question and adding a two second anecdote. It's up to the point where the professor is there waiting for him to shut the gently caress up so he can continue teaching.

It's not them wanting to run their mouth off, it's them wanting to peacock.

I'm paying for the professor to teach me, dickhole. Not you, Mr. Wikipedia.

I feel like I come close to being this a lot of the time, though I also try to raise my hand and stop myself if I lose my train of thought.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrSnakeLaser posted:

So this isn't all about how super-fun animation is, why is there always someone with a guitar in places you're trying to concentrate? Just lounging about during finals week strumming.

I've seen guitars and ukuleles here, including one midnight serenade for a girlfriend's birthday that nearly turned into that scene from Animal House. I don't care if you want to be romantic, I'm trying to loving sleep.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PBJ posted:

-Hungover/still drunk TA in said poly-sci class.

-loving FINITE MATH

I don't see what's wrong with these two.

What is that second one, anyway?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Egregious Offences posted:

It wasn't that great. By that, I mean it wasn't him going on some 7 min. long Jack Thompson-esque diatribe on how GAMERS WILL ESCAPE THEIR BASEMENT CAVES AT NIGHT AND ACT UPON THEIR DOOM FUELED BLOODLUSTS:byodood:. It was about "You shouldn't play videogames because there are these fat, anti-social neckbeards who got sucked into it. Therefore playing more than 2 hours will turn you into a neckbeard."

What was more distressing was that two speakers cited the Huffington Post.

Did he happen to work as a school counselor and use the phrase "Reminder that" a lot?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Egregious Offences posted:

I don't quite follow. :confused:

He just sounds a lot like a guy I used to follow on Twitter is all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Took an exam today and one of the questions had the most ridiculous set of answers I have ever seen:

For so-and-so to do such-and-such a thing is
A. not uncommon.
B. extremely common.
C. common.
D. the norm.

:psyduck: Can't wait to see how the Professor justifies the correct answer, unless this is a freebie of some sort. What was the subject?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You have to learn to buy your textbooks on the cheap from the web- places like Abebooks are a good starting point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Trilineatus posted:

Breathe. Almost every university does this; I went to the University of California system, and we were given 4 semesters after transfer to graduate. But have no fear! Plenty of people were multi year "super seniors" - It just requires you to write and defend a petition.

'sup long enrollment buddy :smith::hf::smith:. Thankfully I'm not a transfer so I don't have to petition for anything- I still feel like crap for dicking around and failing classes my first year before getting on track.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

suztan posted:

The cafeteria is literally out of every caffeine-containing drink. This is unacceptable.

drat. Worst I've had is the espresso machine here breaking, which wouldn't be a problem if the nearest Starbucks wasn't like two miles away.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jesus, the worst my university's had was a burglarizing of the campus store a few years back.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know this one is petty on my part: A school told me that the only way I could classes through them would be as a non-degree-seeking student. I'd be taking the same classes as everyone else, paying the same price, getting the same ABCDF grade as everyone else, doing the same work.

As a caveat of this, if I would ever attempt to return to their school as a degree-seeking student, NONE of the coursework would count towards the degree.

So were you taking those classes for a degree elsewhere or what?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Does he not hand back graded assignments or what?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

The whole concept of "campus police" seems really weird to me in the UK, i'm pretty sure i've never even seen any kind of uni security. Then again UK uni's normally don't even have a campus in the sense that you do in the US so i guess there's less need. Also i didn't live in the main student hall's, i'd imagine security would be more active there.

Yeah. UC Merced, where I go, is about a mile outside of town so we need a few cops of our own to deal with disturbances promptly. I'd imagine it's less necessary when the town's grown around the university.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

Isn't that kind of thing usually listed front and center in the course syllabus?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ego-bot posted:

Everyone has their keys on lanyards. It's pretty much the equivalent to wearing your mittens on strings.

I can't twirl my mittens around and flagellate myself them when I'm bored.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And I thought being unable to use Firefox to place work orders was bad.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Hahahaha I have a prof who actually expects us to do an assignment over reading break.

gently caress that nonsense, I'm going to Cuba.

We always get assignments over Spring or Thanksgiving break here, but I've yet to actually do any work on one until I return to school.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

spunkshui posted:

People wear sweatpants in college because they are getting fat.

I am already there, thank you very much.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Coincidentally, if I want to get a bagel before class, or a bottled water, I can't! The cafeteria doesn't open until 9:00!!!

They tried to push the cafe opening time here back to 7:30 instead of 7:00. They failed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Thankfully, we've got a crapload of food places just like, 10 minutes in downtown, works both super early, and late at night when you're drunk/high etc.

Late Night Shwarma is good, very good.

I could do that to, except its a 1-hour round trip by bus and I don't have a car. Stupid outside-town campus.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I wouldn't know what the gently caress to do if I didn't have places to go and eat at 4:00 in the morning.

You buy a refrigerator and groceries?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I don't really feel like making food after a night at the bars

That's what microwaves, fruit, and cereal are for.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

You mean you don't have a loving 3 hour Poetry lecture from 7-10? :shepicide:

Morning or night? Because here it could go either way.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I've got kind of the reverse problem with my History capstone class. The first month was spent on how to research and write a thesis prospectus, which is fine, except we already did that in the Historian's Craft class, which is a requirement to take this one. The professor is new and apparently not totally up to speed on how the History program is supposed to work, since he's offering alternatives to writing an undergraduate thesis* in a class dedicated specifically to doing that. :psypop:

*To be totally fair, we are one of only a handful of majors here that require one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

eating only apples posted:

Out of interest, for the students with massive groups - how do your professors/lecturers/whatever handle the marking of essays?

I had a total group of maybe 70 at most in my Psychology strand in third year, and my two lecturers both went completely nuts marking essays and dissertations over the year. They do maybe 4 essays per student per year plus the dissertations between the two of them. Three years of classes at a time.

What happens with the massive classes of 100, 500, even 1000+?

TA's do the grading in big rear end classes like that, and if it's a low level survey course, they won't do written assignments that much.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I may be the only person alive who likes their university's dining hall food. Then again I have very low standards and may be a human garbage can.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

At my school it was at least $5 for a small parfait container full of chopped veggies (half of it being celery) and a small little sauce container of ranch dressing. For any sort of "full meal" which was usually fries with either a grilled cheese sandwich, fried meat of some kind and overboiled veggies it'd be $10.

poo poo, that's like 1.5x or 2x what they charge here. Where did you go to school?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

poo poo, here you just have a lump sum to spend on whatever you want at the dining hall at whatever hour it's open. They have a nice little sandwich/salad bar (That I never use except for putting poo poo on grilled chicken sandwiches and burgers because I'm a lardass) and plenty of fruit. Only leftover flex dollars roll over, so come December or May people will start buying shittons of bottled water and such to spend all their cash- it's kind of funny to watch. You also don't have to select a plan if you commute, and they take debit and cash (Don't know if there's any extra fees there, though).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MoreLikeTen posted:

I loving love classes where you get a topic to present on, and every lecture is someone's presentation. Nothing like paying out the rear end to be taught by your fellow students.

Wait, the entire lecture is someone else's presentation?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I "multitask" to put in lightly in every class that allows me a laptop, and almost every class has an attendence policy of some sort, so I can't rightfully condemn any other slackers, as long as they're quiet. Nothing pisses me off more than people who decided to talk over the professor.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Please don't remove half our math library to make room for more classrooms. We have an entire building full of math classrooms; we only have one math library.

I've never heard of a library dedicated to mathematics before.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's a room in the math/physics building and is the size of maybe two or three classrooms. (Small classrooms, not lecture halls.)

Ah. Yeah that's some bullshit.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And here all suites have their own bathrooms...

On the stupid RA topic, all the lights on the outside of the building failed last week (I think DST broke something). They had been out for at least 48 hours and it was dangerously dark, so when I asked the RAs about when they'd get fixed, they asked if I had sent in a goddamn work order. I shouldn't have to do jack, it's your loving job to alert facilities when something is wrong with the whole building!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is hella petty and :spergin: compared to what's been posted here, but I am tired of the goddamn tour groups using our dining hall. Every single week it seems one of the four checkout lanes is singled out for them and all the lines double in length with obnoxious teenagers (There were two dudes who spent their entire conversation giggling and playfully hitting each other like 8-year-olds. It was weird.) Feed these people somewhere else and let the students who have paid for the food and often have class or buses to catch eat in peace.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

karl fungus posted:

How does a unisex bathroom work? Is it just all stalls, or are they just single-occupant rooms?

Usually single occupant. We have several here in the newer buildings- I think they may end up adding some to the older ones, but I can't remember if the new law about trans accommodations affects the UCs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A White Guy posted:

What are you supposed to do when someone leaves their wet clothes in the washer? Can you just put it on top of the washer like normal clothes?

I was thinking about this since I went into the laundry room today and discovered that all 6 washers were available. So just out of pure spite and actual need (I haven't washed my sheets in a while), I used every single washer.

How many people is this room supposed to serve? We've got 30 washers and dryers in our laundromat.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Back when I dormed out I just did my laundry in the early AM hours. I still do it even though I live at home now. You might think, "who the gently caress does the laundry at 2 AM?" and that's exactly the point.

I think that's why they keep them open to 1 AM here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I've never understood this, they're clean, so... why not just buy some if you really want panties that badly?

The fact that they'd been worn at all is why they were stolen, I think :suicide:.

• Locked thread