Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Yeah Bro posted:

Never take a Political Sciences course, ever. The only people who attend them are hardcore libertarians who'll poo poo up lectures and tutes with bullshit about not being able to ride a bike without a helmet. It is basically hell.

PoliSci major here.

I agree there is at least one (but usually only one) libertarian who spouts bullshit and dumb arguments that have no impact on the world. They are hated and trash-talked by everyone after class about whatever dumb tangent happened this time. In my case, it was Dwayne, who somehow invoked Hitler when it came to discussing offshore oil and its economic impact (don't ask, I dunno). Everyone hated that guy and I remember literally writing "trainwreck, holy poo poo, trainwreck" in my notebook during his presentation when he invoked Godwin's Law.

Everyone else, though, was loving chill as poo poo and friendly and we would all hang out and get coffee regardless of how you voted. The majority were liberals, but a couple moderates and even a few sane conservatives all there to learn. The batshit crazy ones don't go for post-secondary in the field or get ostracized like Dwayne.

On-topic: My biggest complaint would have to be parking, it makes you want to have those early classes just so you can find a spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Anyone remember that "Don't Taze Me, Bro!" video from years back?

There is at least one of those people in EVERY political science classroom (loud, opinionated motherfucker whose interjections are so common it borders on disrupting a class) and they usually lean libertarian to boot.

Watching that video the first time brought a smirk to my face as I imagined this one guy I used to know from class being the one to lip off John Kerry.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I've only had to deal with deadbeats or laziness when it comes to group projects. But, plagiarism? What I would do in that situation is sit the member down with all of us and tell them we caught him and then warn him if he pulls that poo poo again we are reporting him. It's nothing personal, just that if the professor discovers plagiarism in the presentation we are all hosed. Yeah, I should tell the professor about plagiarism within the group but I'm a nice guy that believes in second chances and I don't fault anyone going to the professor immediately.

My group project story.

We had this one girl who always came up with excuses for not attending meetings in between classes we shared. She also couldn't be trusted with really important parts of the project so we gave her easy stuff like assembling the PowerPoint. Then, this one time, the day before one presentation no less, she gave us the PowerPoint for a Psychology class. She literally took the paragraphs we gave her to bullet-point in the PowerPoint (that way she had to do actual work) and copied+pasted them into the PowerPoint so it was a cluttered and unreadable mess (because she didn't even bother to fix the formatting). We all freaked, one guy who is really cool said "we can't use this, I'm fixing it tonight" and from that point on we all agreed she was no longer wanted in our groups and it was nothing personal (but she took it that way).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

How Rude posted:

:stare:
I'm just a freshman in college but can these kinds of professors get reported for talking like this? Because holy poo poo that is loving insane.

Oh, you can report them to the Registrar and I was shocked at how effective it can be. When I was going for my BA a bunch of us reported the Economics 100 prof for not knowing poo poo (she was blatantly regurgitating the textbook to a flagrant degree) and suddenly she was gone and replaced by someone who was amazing.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Speaking of parking complaints, those of you that don't live in winter cities haven't understood the pain of the company contracted to plow the parking lot just piling all the snow in one corner of the lot taking up at LEAST 10 spots. Then you drive around aimlessly getting more and more pissed off at the pile staring at you with every loop.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Every prof I've ever had that used Blackboard actually said through clenched teeth that the assignment is on Blackboard (because administration wants them to use it).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

How Rude posted:

Looking it up, I picked the right choices :woop: But seriously, 1/3 of the test is based on two terms. That loving sucks.

Welcome to post-secondary, that's why my biggest piece of advice to any new students is to star or highlight subjects the professor puts emphasis on (and study hard on them) because at least 1/3rds of every test will contain it.

But, anyways, take it easy on him everyone we all took a course we knew was useless because we needed credits and there were no other options that semester. I took Art History 101 for Christ's sake because not only did I need the credits but it opened up some unrelated 200-level courses for me (long story as to how that was possible) that had credits that counted.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Or you could act serious (which is what I would do because I am a lame dude and is worth thinking about if Goatse/Dickbutt/Other Shock Images are deemed "inappropriate") and do Scumbag Steve and how it reminds us of ex-friends and toxic people we still rant about years later.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

BattleMaster posted:

A rookie mistake; multiple choice veterans will know that the answer is always the question.

Not as bad, but I rememeber one online question I had (for some kind of intelligence/personality test, I dunno) was "Who was the US President during WW2?". There were two (FDR and Truman), fortunately Truman wasn't on it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
College complaint: every time i passionately trash the troops in poli sci class all the veteran students say mean things at me

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

A White Guy posted:

This is specifically the reason I got out of Poly Sci. It's literally a dick measuring contest in the classroom. Literally every class has been two douchebags arguing while the teacher moderates.

It really depends if That Guy is in your class, I found.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

QuietLion posted:

Update on my current group project: the third member of our group - who I will refer to as Fred - has not come to class in the last month. While my friend and other partner Ashley has been formatting our papers and podcast script, I've been hunting down the raw data we're going to be using and pulling the important bits together. Fred has looked at our efforts on Google doc, changed one or two things for grammar's sake, then disappeared off the Earth. The only replies we've been getting in response to our questions concerning if he likes our current outline and script are "Yeah that's good" and "Seems okay".

I've had a lot of bad partners in undergrad classes, but I've never had the simple Yes Man before.

If group participation is included in the mark (meaning sheets are handed out where you score your partners confidentially) you know what to do.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Wait until you get a professor who throws a hissyfit every time someone leaves to use the bathroom because it "distracts the class."

Or one that locks the door when class is on so nobody can get in if they are running late and have to wait for the break.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Jack of Hearts posted:

That's pretty drat weird. I'd never even heard of that as a stereotype before.

Really? The core of Polish jokes and stereotypes are them being not very bright and only good for manual labor as a result. It's more of a European thing, though, because that's where the diaspora mostly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ms Boods posted:

During my version of the same induction talk, I had a guy in the front row clearly playing games on his ginormous laptop while I was talking about classroom etiquette concerning playing games/watching videos on youtube, phone stuff, &c. He looked up briefly during the talk because everyone started to snicker. I guess he thought I'd said something interest/important, decided, Nah, then went back to his game.

Either that or he's got special note taking software that's eyeball activated.

I love it how these types are always on the really ginormous laptops meant for gaming (probably because mommy and daddy footed the bill so he figured to lie about what he needed). I had a $300 netbook strictly for typing essays that I always aced and used a coiled notebook for class notes because it was easier to flip through.

• Locked thread