Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't know if this sounds more like me whining or if I actually have a valid complaint, here. I transferred to a 4-year school after spending a lot of time at a community college getting every single prereq. met for transfer.

Semester starts and for the first time in several years I'm having a lot of trouble in school. So, about 3 weeks in, I go see an academic advisor to drop the class that is giving me the most trouble.

So, I go and see them and they tell me I need to me careful about dropping out of classes because I'll run out of time to complete my degree. I'm not really too concerned and tell her, "Well, I've got 10 semesters to complete my degree, I don't think I'll NEED all those. At worst, I'll to need a fifth semester..."

She looks at me, asking me where I got the idea I had 10 semesters with them to finish a degree. I point to the screen that I'd been working off of since even before school started that listed my final authorized term of enrollment to be nearly 5 years in the future.

"Like I said, at most I'll probably only ever need a fifth semes..."

She suddenly started messing around and drops it down to 3 remaining semesters (edit: 4 total counting the one I was in at the time). I feel the blood leave my face, my chest goes cold and my guts feel hollow. I don't know what just happened here.

She then proceeds to tell me that my number of authorized terms of enrollment were 'wrong' and she 'fixed' them to be 'right' to reflect 3 semesters remaining. I slowly begin to panic. What happens if I don't complete my degree in 3 more semesters? What if I have one class left to take after 3 more semesters? What do I do?

There were extensions, but they're almost never given out, so I likely wouldn't get one regardless of how close I was to graduating. So, if I'm one class shy of graduating after 2 years, and I can't take the class to graduate, how do I get my degree?

Her instructions: After 2 years at their school, even if I was short just one class, I'd have to transfer to ANOTHER 4-year school and fulfill all their requirements for graduation (essentially, another 2 years of school work) in order to get my degree.

Edit 2: I fully get that finishing a degree upon transfer in 2 years is completely normal, but I was also used to classes being unavailable, classes being full, classes conflicting, and so on.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skinny King Pimp posted:

What kind of school kicks you out instead of taking more of your money? I transferred in to a school with a 2 year degree and graduated three years later with an unrelated BA. Now I'm going to the same school again for a BS and nobody ever said poo poo about "authorized terms of enrollment" or whatever. That's weird as hell and I've never, ever heard of that.

It was a very protracted and screwed up situation that gradually got worse and worse. You wouldn't be the only one that never heard of it. I'd spoken to other schools over the years that never heard of it either.

I'm posting this from the school's site but taking their name out.

quote:

Each student is assigned an Expected Graduation Date (EGD), which represents the last semester for which he or she is authorized to register. Students in XXXXX are accorded a maximum of 10 semesters of eligibility for enrollment for completion of degree. The 10 semesters include enrollment in all post-secondary institutions attended, not just enrollment at XXXXX.

An extension beyond 10 semesters requires extenuating circumstances, is rare, and is at the associate dean's discretion. Extensions in most academic areas are prohibited because of crowded program conditions.

So, any time spent at a community college, even, counts on this. If I left, 3 years later took a class at community college, then reapply, they count it as a full semester against them. They specifically pointed this out to me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
That reminds me of a time when I was wanting to take summer classes as a non-current student. I was actually once told that the Summer session was the session they 'encouraged' local non-students to take classes. I was told that this was the chain of events I'd have to follow:

Apply for Summer Classes by Feb or March. This doesn't actually get you into the class, it was a pre-enrollment period telling you if you'd be allowed to the chance to apply up for the class that Summer. Not the chance to sign up for the class, the chance to APPLY to sign up to take the class.

If got pre-approved, you still weren't able to sign up for the class. If you weren't a current university student, you'd have to wait until the class had been in session at least a few days before being allowed to actually sign up. (In summer course schedule, that could be a LOT of material you're missing.)

At this point, you're still not actually allowed to sign up, though. Because you're going to be a 'late enrollment' because you had to wait 2-3 days after the first day of class, it now requires teacher and school approval to sign up.

So, if they decide that you haven't missed too much material, then you get to start the class behind everyone else.
If they reject you, then you've spent the last 3 months trying to adjust all your non-school schedules around to make not taking a class possible.

edit: How it reminded me was that I remember them cancelling the June class I was interested in by early May due to 'lack of enrollment' by that time.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Dec 7, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dammerung posted:

Just found out today that my institution has been mistakenly thinking of me as a Sophomore because the credits I got from my previous institution don't seem to have transferred over yet. It's only been a year and a half, it seems like it should have been more than enough time for those credits to have been counted, but what do I know?

My University, during my first semester as a transfer student to any four-year school, told me I wasn't a 'Junior' because I had too many semesters/credits from a community college.

I found this out while during that semester because I attempted to change majors, as their course catalog said any major changes had to be done by the end of the first Junior semester at the college, and that I wouldn't be allowed to do so.

TunaSpleen posted:

Let's see... they've also (1) sold my personal information to credit card companies who keep spamming me with applications to get cards with the school logo on it, (2) they call me every year asking me to donate to some bullshit project like a fountain with no educational merit, and then (3) act completely baffled as to why anyone in our generation might not have a steady job immediately after graduating that allows us to donate to our alma mater.

I never filled out anything to anyone that I was going to my Uni for the semester, but I got hit with the spam stuff, too. Well after I'd dropped out and at the time when I was originally supposed to graduate I started getting ads for class rings and other graduation-related things.

The absolute best of these things: The college that I had to drop out of, itself, sent me a letter the month I was supposed to have originally graduate inviting me to join the school's alumni association.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Dec 7, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
For grad school miscommunications, I knew a person who was accepted into a grad program only to end up being short a few hundred dollars by the payment deadline. They called the school up, explained their problem, and were told, "Okay, you won't be able to start the program this semester..."

A few weeks later, just before the program was set to start and they'd already made other plans, they got a call from someone at the program asking why they dropped out. They explained the money issue and were told, "Oh, if you were only going to be short a few hundred dollars, we could have given you a grant or a waiver to cover that."

I was accepted into a program, told 24 hours after being accepted I shouldn't have been accepted and wouldn't be accepted after all, then contacted a week or two later to tell me they were waiting for me acknowledge my acceptance.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Dec 9, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dammerung posted:

I think I'd take the DMV over whatever passes for office work here.

Fun experiences with office staffers.

When I wanted to see someone about getting into a program, rather than let me schedule an appointment or let me speak to someone as I requested, they instead do everything but.

I was wanting to get into a program and was rerouted and forwarded from office to office because no one knew anything. Finally, they send me to what was the head office/head person in charge of the programs. Great, now I'm finally going to see someone who can tell me what's what and tell me what I need to do.

I go in, I ask if they're available or if I can make an appointment to speak with them. Nope. Instead, the secretary takes my questions, ONE AT A TIME, walks into the office, asks the question to the person in charge, comes out, gives me an answer. We repeat this like 4 times in the meeting, where apparently I cannot be allowed to speak directly to this person and have to use their assistant as a go-between.

"He says you need to go to the office of X"
"They sent me here because they couldn't answer my question."
(Walks into office)
"He says he went to the office of X and that they sent him here."
"Tell him to go to the Department of Y."
(Walks out of office)
"You need to go to the Deapartment of Y."
"I did that, too, they sent me to the Office of X which sent me here."
(Walks into Office)
"He said they sent him to X."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A school once told me to spend a few thousand dollars taking a class at an out-of-district community college so I'd be eligible for transfer into one of their programs (that I'd ALSO have to retake at their school upon being accepted, so I'd be out a lot money and time twice over).

I made plans, was about to drop the hammer and do it, and asked them again to make sure.

"Um, no, you'd still be ineligible for acceptance even if you took those community college classes." I reminded them of our previous conversation and their response was along the lines of, "Oh, I know I said that, but..."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
On the computer front, there was no way to actually find out if there were spaces available in a class unless you signed up for it.

You couldn't call any department on campus to find out of ABC 101 had any available seats left. No one would be able to tell you and would instead tell you, "You need to log into your online account and the system will tell you if there are seats available."

Not quite that simple. The system would ONLY tell you the list of all the sections offered, but not tell you if spaces were left or how many. In order to find out if seats were still there, you had to actually go through the process of, "I want to register for this class", at which point you'd be signed up automatically if there were spots available and rejected if not.

However, once you signed up, if you were still in the process of trying to sort out a schedule, if you needed a class that conflicted with it you couldn't sign up for that one while the other was on there. You also couldn't drop any classes if it put you under full-time without seeing a dean or something.

Then you'd get the, "Why did you sign up for this class it if you didn't want to take it?!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A department had developed a new online degree and unique in that there wasn't a specific program like it on campus, but it got cancelled before it even began.

Turned out that after doing the work to make an online degree program, the school saw it as too valuable as an on-campus program so they should adapt it and offer up as an on-campus only program.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I know this one is petty on my part: A school told me that the only way I could classes through them would be as a non-degree-seeking student. I'd be taking the same classes as everyone else, paying the same price, getting the same ABCDF grade as everyone else, doing the same work.

As a caveat of this, if I would ever attempt to return to their school as a degree-seeking student, NONE of the coursework would count towards the degree.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I ended up not taking them, but apparently they were telling me the only way I could take classes while not attending school full-time would be to register as a non-degree-seeking student and take classes only in the Summer. If I'd try to come back as a full-time student, they said their records would not allow me to use those classes as part of my graduation requirement.

I should likely correct myself to some degree, though: Given that I'd speak with a lot of people, their interpretation of what the final outcome would be were different and no one would agree on it. One person would that it was the policy and that was it. Someone else would say it was the norm HOWEVER I could petition to have them recognize the coursework upon acceptance into a full-time program, but no guarantees.

Nondegree Student Regulations states: "The same grading system is applicable to both degree and nondegree students. Credit earned on nondegree status will not be applicable to a degree except by subsequent admission to degree status and approval of the college."

The bolded part was the bit of the gray area. Even being accepted into a degree-granting program, the college itself could still say it's at their discretion if they'll accept them for the graduation requirements.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

Hell, at least they have e-mail. I know in the year 2000 I was trying to get a hold of the head of a program between semesters and couldn't because he 'didn't use e-mail' and wouldn't be back on campus until the start of the semester, so no messages I could even leave for him would reach him until it was too late.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
You know, I get that we're more electronic than we were 5-15 years ago, but I remember when teachers were quite the opposite and refused to accept any homework or essays via electronic means and you HAD to submit it via hardcopy.

Heck, in the year 2000 there was actually a guy in charge of a program who didn't use e-mail, period, so when needing to get in contact with him I had to wait until the actual first day of the new semester when he stepped back on campus.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Ariza posted:

:arghfist: (pretend it's the old man shaking his fist)

When did sweatpants become trendy attire with college kids? I swear to christ at least 75% of the males in my writing class wear them. These are all in shape, friendly, normal kids, but when I was in my late teens the only people who wore sweatpants were people who weren't really socially acceptable.

Are you sure it's sweatpants. For some reason about 5-10 years ago I noticed a lot of students took to wearing their pajama bottoms to class. I don't know what the loving point was of that but it still goes on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I went to speak to someone about getting into a program in a school, so I go to the school in charge of the program.

They direct me to the admissions office, since they aren't involve who getting admitted to programs.

Admissions directs me back to the school, since they aren't involved with deciding who gets into schools.

School directs me to the program department head, since they aren't involved with deciding who gets into programs.

Program Dept. directs me back to the school, since they aren't involved with who get accepted into programs.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Feb 20, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
At my CC, for all the other issues with it, I really liked and I could at least get some sort of help from administration like advisors and counselors when I needed it, which wasn't too often. Usually it was stuff like, "I need to change a class on my schedule" or "I need a class that's not offered/full/cancelled."

With University, it was a FAR different experience. It got to a point that any time I tried to talk with anyone like that with a University I actually felt physically ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Along the lines of fees and tuition, I was looking into an online program from a public university and started to crunch the numbers and it was more expensive to take the online program vs. the on-campus program.

That was also figuring in the on-campus FEES that gave you: On-campus activities, health center, HEALTH INSURANCE, city mass transit pass, etc.

• Locked thread