Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

App13 posted:

Doesn't sound so bad. What are your thoughts on it?

Why would I buy it instead of an iPad or Android tablet, if it has none of the advantages of full Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would I buy it instead of an iPad or Android tablet, if it has none of the advantages of full Windows?

(a) As we've already discussed by now, "no desktop" doesn't mean "no Win32 software" necessarily
(b) Tablets under 8" aren't really a huge part of the market anyway honestly; I think once you hit 6.5" it's officially in "just a big phone" territory :shrug:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

(a) As we've already discussed by now, "no desktop" doesn't mean "no Win32 software" necessarily
(b) Tablets under 8" aren't really a huge part of the market anyway honestly; I think once you hit 6.5" it's officially in "just a big phone" territory :shrug:

Except that's exactly what was said.

quote:

The Windows 10 mobile SKU is aimed at devices where running Win32 apps doesn't make sense, so it won't support a desktop mode. It will be customized to run "Modern"/Universal apps from the unified Windows Store. The Mobile SKU is aimed at devices with small RAM and disk requirements. It's built for locked down devices, though, in theory at least, it could run on a device with any size screen.

(...)

So, the Windows 10 Desktop SKU can run Modern/Universal and Win32 apps in either tablet (full-screen) or desktop (windowed apps) modes. The Windows 10 mobile SKU can only run Modern/Universal apps and only has full-screen app mode.

But it isn't written in stone that under 8 inch devices have to use the mobile SKU. It's up to the OEMs. So I guess it isn't that big of a deal beyond consumer confusion.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Too bad the Windows store is still severely lacking, all this time and still no Minecraft?
Tsk Tsk.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Too bad the Windows store is still severely lacking, all this time and still no Minecraft?
Tsk Tsk.

Xbox One was their higher priority but yeah they should probably put it out through their own goddamn store now that they own it

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Exactly. Running full Windows is the killer feature of all Windows tablets. I wonder if OEM's will even bother to manufacture sub-8" devices once Win10 is up and running.

They probably will. Best Buy's $39 black Friday doorbuster tablets have to come from somewhere.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Actually once the mini tablets start using the Windows Phone derived version of Windows they'll get the WP app store, including pocket minecraft.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
MobileTechReview did a video review for the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows 13" - First real review I've seen for it and potential player for the price ($599 with the Bluetooth keyboard included)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vodgd126CA

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

loquacius posted:

Xbox One was their higher priority but yeah they should probably put it out through their own goddamn store now that they own it

Weird that it's not up yet. Everyone knows that when you buy the rights to software, it automatically starts working with incompatible systems that very moment.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I don't use the feature often, but it is nice to be able to load up a low-power Steam game on my 7inch tablet occasionally. Obviously this won't be a problem with the upgrade, but could be a problem if I needed to buy a new one for whatever reason. v:shobon:v However, yeah, the desktop and Explorer would be near impossible to use if I didn't get a tablet with a stylus, so yeah.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Speaking of pens, the pen for my Surface Pro 3 (i5) hasn't ever worked when I press the button. I mean, it draws fine, and I can turn it around to erase in OneNote, and I've reinstalled the metro version of OneNote and messed with settings in the Surface pen hub app. I can sync the pen with the button (it lights up), and pressing the button while having the bluetooth settings open causes the little "sync" bar to start progressing. I have removed the pen from devices and re-synced it, and installed windows updates, but no matter what I do the button can't be used to launch anything. Is there anything I can use to customize it? I'd like it to function, and when it functions I'd like to switch it to open Chrome or something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Weird that it's not up yet. Everyone knows that when you buy the rights to software, it automatically starts working with incompatible systems that very moment.

It already works on Windows and it's been enough time that you'd think we'd have at least heard something about a Windows Store version, that's all :colbert:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The desktop and windowing would be literally completely unusable at 7" and lower, some structure and a little bit of clarity on what is what is not the end of the world. Bringing literal win32 stuff to phones would be a fantastically bad move.

I've got a HP Stream 7, and it's usable-ish on the desktop.

I wouldn't want to use it for a long period of time, but for doing something like starting a streaming game from steam or similar it's fine.

I *also* suspect this may have to do with the fact that they're giving away the Windows license for 7" devices.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

loquacius posted:

It already works on Windows and it's been enough time that you'd think we'd have at least heard something about a Windows Store version, that's all :colbert:

Well, I assume the main problem would be that they might want the Windows Store version to be full Minecraft rather than Pocket Edition, and so it would be easier to go off the XB1 port rather than the original Java version. Console Minecraft is a few versions behind PC Minecraft, so they need to catch up first, then there's the time to reimplement touch and KB+M controls and any features missing on consoles that are expected on PC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm going to make a new OP soon.

Am I missing any recent devices?

Acer Aspire Switch 10
Acer Aspire Switch 11
Acer Aspire Switch 12
Asus Transformer T90
Asus Transformer T100
Asus Transformer T100 Chi
Asus Transformer T200
Asus Transformer T300 Chi
Dell Venue 8 Pro
Dell Venue 10 Pro
Dell Venue 11 Pro
HP Switch 7
HP Switch 8
HP ENVY x2 - 13t
HP ENVY x2 - 15t
HP Pavilion x2 - 10
HP Pavilion x2 - 13
HP Split x2 - 13
Lenovo Thinkpad 10
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows (8")
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows (10")
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows (13")
Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Toshiba Encore 2 Write 8
Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10
Toshiba Satellite Click 2 Pro

I'll also take any suggestions on older devices to be highlighted at the beginning.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm going to make a new OP soon.

Am I missing any recent devices?

I've been looking a lot at the Toshiba Portege Z20t: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/portege/Z20t

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Schmoli posted:

I've been looking a lot at the Toshiba Portege Z20t: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/portege/Z20t

$1400 for i5/4/128 boo

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

RVProfootballer posted:

$1400 for i5/4/128 boo

Oh I know it definitely feels overpriced (aimed at businesses), but I was hoping it may come down. Also they are all new Broadwell Core M's. even that $1400 price wouldn't scare me if it was the 256/8gb model though (although I'd REALLY like 512/8 at that pricepoint). It also has a few extra things I would never use (vga out, keyboard nub).

I had SP3 for a week and I *LOVED* it but I sold it for the price I got it for as I figured I'd wait for something similar but fanless.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My SP3 seems to have decided that it too wants to have WiFi problems. Things went from working fine to dropping a connection immediately when attempting to use it, rebooting did nothing, then I checked Device Manager to see it showing a Code 10 'device was unable to start'. A disable/enable cycle didn't do anything, and a second attempt resulted in Windows hard-locking when I clicked enable. Hard reset seems to have it sorted out now but it's still kind of worrisome.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Is the 64GB surface pro 1 worth it for $180 (keyboard included)? I don't really need it, I just have a very bulky laptop and wouldn't mind something easier to carry around. Is the battery life bad?

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 31, 2015

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Econosaurus posted:

Is the surface pro 1 worth it for $180 (keyboard included)? I don't really need it, I just have a very bulky laptop and wouldn't mind something easier to carry around. Is the battery life bad?

If you're okay with 4 hours of battery life then I'd say go for it. $180 is a steal

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Econosaurus posted:

Is the surface pro 1 worth it for $180 (keyboard included)? I don't really need it, I just have a very bulky laptop and wouldn't mind something easier to carry around. Is the battery life bad?

Yeah, the battery life is pretty bad on the original Surface Pro. I think I read 3-5 hours depending on how hard you're pushing it. If you need long battery life, you may want to look into spending a little more for a 10+ inch tablet with Intel Bay Trail. Those are way weaker than the i5 in the Surface Pro and, usually, don't come with a stylus but it should give you way more battery life (the asus transformer t100 can get almost 11 hours, the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows gets even more)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Econosaurus posted:

Is the 64GB surface pro 1 worth it for $180 (keyboard included)? I don't really need it, I just have a very bulky laptop and wouldn't mind something easier to carry around. Is the battery life bad?

Very much so.

If you like it you can pick up a power cover to squeeze 6-7 hours out of it if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
new thread up

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698422

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 2, 2015

• Locked thread