Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ravel posted:

If I have a completely new build without an optical drive is it possible to install windows from an external optical drive or do I have to do it by USB? Which is easier?

You can do both and USB is easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Using the first link in the OP, usb is a doddle.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ravel posted:

If I have a completely new build without an optical drive is it possible to install windows from an external optical drive or do I have to do it by USB? Which is easier?

My last build was installed using an optical drive via USB. Either option will work, though which one is easier would probably come down to how you're getting your installation media.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been using 7 for years now and enjoy it, but I'm in the process of upgrading my PC and was wondering if it's worth getting the student upgrade for $70 or simply holding out for 10?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Not only is 10 just 2-3 months away, but you'll be able to upgrade to it for free. So I suggest you save yourself $70 and the trouble of upgrading twice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TopherCStone posted:

Hm, that gives me a thought. If you have a connected Onedrive (or whatever cloud storage) account is it possible that whatever virus you get will migrate there and then reinfect whatever you connect the Onedrive to in the future?

Unless OneDrive does file versioning (does it?) something like cryptolocker could encrypt all your files after which OneDrive would happily sync the encrypted files over the top of the good ones.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

redeyes posted:

Unless OneDrive does file versioning (does it?) something like cryptolocker could encrypt all your files after which OneDrive would happily sync the encrypted files over the top of the good ones.

I only know that it does handle it for Office files.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

I've been tasked with reinstalling Windows 8.1 on a newish Dell laptop which came with 8.0. It is heavily infected with malware and is pretty much unusable. I cannot run the Windows Media Creation Utility or a refresh. I'd prefer to just blow the OS away and install a vanilla install of 8.1.

I have UEFI Windows 8.1-Update 1 install media but I don't know what the procedure is to get the installation media to look into the BIOS for the SLP key and cannot even discern which version of 8.1 is running on the PC. Anyone gone through this scenario have any advice? Is the ei.cfg modification still necessary like it was in earlier iterations of Windows?

The other problem is that the user has Quick Books, whatever MS Office version Dell is bundling these days (and 57GB of potentially infected documents which I will put on an external with an offline tool). I assume both of these were activated on the web and so the user would have product keys in their email somewhere?

Any help or advice, would be much appreciated.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WorkingStiff posted:

I have UEFI Windows 8.1-Update 1 install media but I don't know what the procedure is to get the installation media to look into the BIOS for the SLP key and cannot even discern which version of 8.1 is running on the PC. Anyone gone through this scenario have any advice? Is the ei.cfg modification still necessary like it was in earlier iterations of Windows?
I did a clean install of 8.1 on an empty drive on a laptop that originally came with 8 and the whole detection of the key was completely automatically and no ei.cfg modification was necessary. Not knowing home or pro could be an issue though. Suppose maybe the installer will let you know, or it installs and won't activate and you start over with the other edition. Home is most likely unless it's a business laptop.

There's some program from Nirsoft that will let you recover Office keys if the current intall is functional enough for that. Don't know about Quickbooks, but maybe. It can find a variety of keys.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

I did a clean install of 8.1 on an empty drive on a laptop that originally came with 8 and the whole detection of the key was completely automatically and no ei.cfg modification was necessary. Not knowing home or pro could be an issue though. Suppose maybe the installer will let you know, or it installs and won't activate and you start over with the other edition. Home is most likely unless it's a business laptop.

There's some program from Nirsoft that will let you recover Office keys if the current intall is functional enough for that. Don't know about Quickbooks, but maybe. It can find a variety of keys.

Thanks for your input, that was very helpful. I don't think there are any editions anymore other than Stock, Pro and Enterprise, so I'm going to try Nirsoft and then just go for it and let the user activate everything if there's a problem.

Thanks again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

WorkingStiff posted:

Thanks for your input, that was very helpful. I don't think there are any editions anymore other than Stock, Pro and Enterprise, so I'm going to try Nirsoft and then just go for it and let the user activate everything if there's a problem.

Thanks again.
What edition of Windows am I running?

NirSoft ProduKey

There's also the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder if ProduKey doesn't find the QuickBooks key, but last I heard it bundled garbage in the installer. Not that that matters a lot on a computer you're going to wipe :v: Belarc Advisor may be another shot at retrieving that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there any Metro Modern whatever-the-gently caress-they're-calling-it-now apps actually worth using? All the ones I've tried just seem like dumbed-down versions of things that are done better by actual desktop applications or websites if you're not on a tablet. The Mail app is particularly bad. I guess the Weather app live-tile is fine if you haven't gotten rid of the Win8 start screen. Are there any apps good enough to make using Metro actually tempting?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Entropic posted:

Are there any Metro Modern whatever-the-gently caress-they're-calling-it-now apps actually worth using? All the ones I've tried just seem like dumbed-down versions of things that are done better by actual desktop applications or websites if you're not on a tablet. The Mail app is particularly bad. I guess the Weather app live-tile is fine if you haven't gotten rid of the Win8 start screen. Are there any apps good enough to make using Metro actually tempting?

Nextgen Reader is great for RSS feeds. Their Music app is actually pretty good since it can keep playing while in connected standby. Same with TuneIn Radio. Package Tracker is decent if you order a lot of stuff. Overdrive is good for library checkouts. Mail/Calendar is good for toast notifications.

And that's pretty much it outside of games and niche apps.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Metro/Modern apps are slightly more CPU/power efficient than regular desktop apps, if you're on a laptop or tablet. But for general desktop use no, there's not much call to be using them, especially with the forced fullscreen. Things may improve when Win10 launches but we will have to wait and see.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I use the netflix modern app while on my desktop.

That's my exhaustive list.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The Plex player from the store feels a bit smoother and faster than the desktop app. IRC Explorer connects back to my ZNC server and stores its settings between different devices, so it can connect from anywhere on anything, if you're into that sort of thing. Seconding Nextgen, and I like Audials radio for music, again with my settings/stations automatically saved between devices.

Really, it's that last bit that makes them appealing; whatever 8.1 device you're on, your apps are just there along with their settings for easy install & immediate use, always up-to-date, and walled in their own environment. No muss, no fuss.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I notice that the Windows 8.1 media creation tool is creating ISOs of larger size than they originally downloaded. Does that mean they're downloading ISOs with more recent updates already slipstreamed? If so, does anyone know how recent the slipstreamed updates are?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I notice that the Windows 8.1 media creation tool is creating ISOs of larger size than they originally downloaded. Does that mean they're downloading ISOs with more recent updates already slipstreamed? If so, does anyone know how recent the slipstreamed updates are?

I just created one this morning and after installing I was greeted with 117 Windows updates, so I'd say nope. It did however prompt me during setup about reserving my Windows 10 free upgrade, so that's new.

EDIT: It did seem to be more up to date than the 8.1u1 DVD I had, though.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 21, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

So is it possible to totally remove (not just disable) onedrive from 8.1? It lags my startup and I don't have an SSD in this laptop. I disabled all of its functions but it still runs when I boot up and I'd rather just yank it out somehow. When I google this question I get some instructions, but most include some kind of dodgy .exe that they ask me to run, or just tell me to disable it. Is there a single good way to do this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Edit: nm, thought this was the 10 thread!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Well I seem to have royally screwed my installation somehow. :smith:

All of the icons on the desktop and in file explorer are missing. System restore won't work and gives me a catastrophic failure 0x8000ffff when I open the window.

Just what I needed for the weekend.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I use the netflix modern app while on my desktop.

That's my exhaustive list.

Same. It has higher quality options than the Silverlight plugin version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

After restarting my box today folders no longer update their date modified until I open them, regardless of files being created or deleted inside them :psyduck:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I originally had retail copy of Win 8 Pro and upgraded to 8.1 Pro back when it was first offered as a download. I'm thinking about reinstalling to a different HD, but I REALLY don't want to mess with downloading/installing the 8.1 update, again (I seem to remember when I did that last time it was sort of a pain).

However, I DO have a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro handy. Can I use that disc to reinstall while using my Win 8 Pro key to activate? Otherwise, is the best/only option to download the 8.1 install thing from the MS site?

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 4, 2016

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, I DO have a retail copy of Win 8.1 Pro handy. Can I use that disc to reinstall while using my Win 8 Pro key to activate? Otherwise, is the best/only option to download the 8.1 install thing from the MS site?
Former should work if the disc is new enough, otherwise, latter should work definitely.

If the former doesn't work, there's some loving around with a generic key and entering your real key after installing that should work, that is sure to be documented early on in this thread. But making new install media would likely allow you to skip a couple of hundred of updates that happened after 8.1 as well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i have a Windows 8.1 Pro Vaio unibody.

16 gigs of ram, intel 17 2.60 ghz

When I play dota every thirty seconds or so the game freezes for just a split second before continuing. It doesn't do this on other computers in the house.

Also, once a match or so the router will just cut off. I looked online and it said it was because it would be set for energy saver mode, but I turned everything to high performance.

Ideas?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh man I forgot how essential startisback is

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

startisback is just a worse Classic Shell as far as I'm concerned

• Locked thread