Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Heads up for any users with Nvidia cards: if you notice a weird color cast in Netflix or fullscreen games, go into the Nvidia control panel and disable stereoscopic 3D. Somehow it turned itself on after I updated, and it took me a while to narrow down the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

When you snap things now, you'll notice the bar that seperates the snapped app from the rest of the screen has those dots on it that shows it's resizeable.

There seems to be some sort of resolution cutoff below which this doesn't work, but it's less than 1280x1024.

Ah nice, ok. Yeah I figured that part out, but I was reading the posts as it being resizeable to any size at all. Which, honestly, I don't understand why that isn't doable with metro apps anyway, but eh . . .still better then it was!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Since updating to Win8.1 I regularly hear the sound of a device being disconnected, and then reconnected. It's driving me loving mad. Is there any way for me to find out what device Windows things is being disconnected/reconnected constantly?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Also Pro Tip: You can rename "This PC" to whatever you want.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still have no idea what this "This PC" thing is. I can't see such a label anywhere after upgrade. :sigh:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sether01 posted:

Ah nice, ok. Yeah I figured that part out, but I was reading the posts as it being resizeable to any size at all. Which, honestly, I don't understand why that isn't doable with metro apps anyway, but eh . . .still better then it was!

Yeah, it's not freely scaleable, but depending on resolution it'll flip over between snapped-with-padding and full-sized at some point. From a little experimenting, I think it's about 800px.

Ihmemies posted:

I still have no idea what this "This PC" thing is. I can't see such a label anywhere after upgrade. :sigh:

Open explorer.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Since updating to Win8.1 I regularly hear the sound of a device being disconnected, and then reconnected. It's driving me loving mad. Is there any way for me to find out what device Windows things is being disconnected/reconnected constantly?
Do you have any USB 3 devices? My Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe has some trouble with USB 3 drivers, so my external hard drives keep getting knocked offline. Apparently Asus did update their drivers a few days ago, but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kerbtree posted:

Yeah, it's not freely scaleable, but depending on resolution it'll flip over between snapped-with-padding and full-sized at some point. From a little experimenting, I think it's about 800px.

Open explorer.

Oh, it's the old "My Computer". 8.1 removed all "My" prefixes from folders, and seems that just a "Computer" would have been too boring then :v: I have a 1337 custom name so the upgrade didn't touch that.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I installed 8.1 from the store with one minor issue where I had to reinstall my graphics drivers (nvidia) but in hindsight I'm thinking it was the 3d setting being enabled and reinstalling put it back to default.

Anyway, lovely changes...impressed.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Regarding using Metro apps on a Laptop. Are there any keyboard shortcuts that I'm missing? Clicking and dragging the scroll bar on the bottom is quite laborious, is there no way of using the arrow keys or space bar to scroll to the right?

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

the posted:

Have they fixed it yet to where I can disable the automatic pop up touch keyboard when I click on a text box? (Touch laptop user here)

It doesn't come up for me if I have a keyboard attached even in 8.0.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there no way of using the arrow keys or space bar to scroll to the right?
You can't scroll with the touchpad? My mousewheel scrolls through the metro screen.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WebDog posted:

You can't scroll with the touchpad? My mousewheel scrolls through the metro screen.

Unfortunately no, you have to use the scroll bar at the bottom. Maybe I could do it if my trackpad had two finger scrolling. Would be nice if it worked the same way as on the start screen where just moving the cursor to the right edge moves the screen.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I had to buy a new laptop and it appears that getting windows 7 back is going to be a bigger pain than it's worth. At least I can disable the loving 'tablet' poo poo and use 'start is back' and just close my eyes and wish really hard that I was still on 7.

However I can think of a few games that I would actually really enjoy using the touchscreen feature on, but the problem is it doesn't seem to work right. When I touch the screen rather than just clicking wherever I'm pointing it freaks out and clicks all over the place (only on the y axis). I mean it DOES click where I point it just also clicks pretty much everything else above and below that to. It's done that since I opened up the laptop this morning. Is this something I can fix with software or is it a hardware issue? Would it be worth it to return the laptop and try to get a working one or just live without touchscreen?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Is this something I can fix with software or is it a hardware issue? Would it be worth it to return the laptop and try to get a working one or just live without touchscreen?

So you got a brand new machine and it's faulty out of the box. Why the hell wouldn't you return it for a replacement?

If you bought a new car and the aircon was broke, would you just live without aircon?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The VBS file floating around that I used in Windows 8 to change the number of rows on the start screen doesn't work in 8.1 - Is there an alternative?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

gibbed posted:

1. Explorer's Folder Options got wiped.

I think if you use a Microsoft account this wouldn't happen.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
FYI, the Libraries section is hidden by default in Windows Explorer in 8.1. To display it (with your libraries from 8 hopefully intact!):

Explorer -> View -> Navigation Pane -> Show Libraries

VVVV: I do v:shobon:v

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 19, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

jkyuusai posted:

FYI, the Libraries section is hidden by default in Windows Explorer in 8.1. To display it (with your libraries from 8 hopefully intact!):

Explorer -> View -> Navigation Pane -> Show Libraries

People actually liked using Libraries?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Updated to 8.1 the other day. Unlike Vista, I think the hate around 8 and 8.1 in general is pretty overblown. This isn't a bad update, and I say this as someone who thinks Windows is generally laughably designed and coded. 8.1 is even quicker than 8, and DX 11.2 holds some good promise for games. So the things I care about from Windows are present and better than they were in 8.

However, I'm a little confused about the licensing for 8.1. I bought 8 back when it was $40, and received an installation DVD. I installed off that DVD and then downloaded 8.1 from the Windows Store. What happens when I want to replace my boot drive? Do I have to install 8 and then download 8.1 again? Is there a way I can directly install 8.1? How does the licensing work?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
How is Windows 8.1 at automating maintenance like anti-virus and security updates?
Looking to get my not-at-all-tech-savvy father a laptop replacement for his desktop and netbook (both running XP!) He's not very good at taking care of his computers so they get vulnerable. ("this wants to update? Leave me alone!" Of course this just causes the updates to pile on until Windows goes "gently caress you I'm updating and rebooting in the process".)
Frankly I wish I could just get him an iPad, but he wants to be able to store/watch his gigs of unedited home movies.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Terpfen posted:

However, I'm a little confused about the licensing for 8.1. I bought 8 back when it was $40, and received an installation DVD. I installed off that DVD and then downloaded 8.1 from the Windows Store. What happens when I want to replace my boot drive? Do I have to install 8 and then download 8.1 again? Is there a way I can directly install 8.1? How does the licensing work?

Officially yes. In my case I'd also have to go from 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 and in one case XP MCE -> 8 -> 8.1.

Unofficially, torrent it from somewhere, install disconnected from the network using a different product key then once booted connect to the network and change it to the one you paid for by running SLUI.EXE 0x3 from an admin command prompt.

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 19, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd recommend installing 8 clean, then 8.1 and then imaging it using free software to a bunch of DVDs or a USB drive.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

How is Windows 8.1 at automating maintenance like anti-virus and security updates?
Looking to get my not-at-all-tech-savvy father a laptop replacement for his desktop and netbook (both running XP!) He's not very good at taking care of his computers so they get vulnerable. ("this wants to update? Leave me alone!" Of course this just causes the updates to pile on until Windows goes "gently caress you I'm updating and rebooting in the process".)
Frankly I wish I could just get him an iPad, but he wants to be able to store/watch his gigs of unedited home movies.

Pretty drat good. Just set updates to install automatically and both anti-virus (MSSE) and regular updates will be installed whenever available. Maybe he'll get a nag screen every now and then if it needs a reboot.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Jeoh posted:

Pretty drat good. Just set updates to install automatically and both anti-virus (MSSE) and regular updates will be installed whenever available. Maybe he'll get a nag screen every now and then if it needs a reboot.
As long as it doesn't reboot automatically, I'm sure that situation would take care of itself when he shutsdown/starts up the laptop in daily use.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It will only reboot automatically if not rebooted for 2 days after updating.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

The Merkinman posted:

There's built-in antivirus and anti-malware and it updates multiple times a day through Windows Update. For something that comes out of the box, it's pretty good.

Just lock his account as a User rather than an Administrator, and configure UAC to prompt for an administrator password when needing to do something like install an application.

Lum posted:

Officially yes. In my case I'd also have to go from 7 -> 8 -> 8.1 and in one case XP MCE -> 8 -> 8.1.

Unofficially, torrent it from somewhere, install disconnected from the network using a different product key then once booted connect to the network and change it to the one you paid for by running SLUI.EXE 0x3 from an admin command prompt.

Ugh. This lowers my opinion of 8.1 a little bit. There's really no reason why this licensing structure should exist. Better back up my 8 DVD into ISO form just in case…

Thanks for the clarification and explanation.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Terpfen posted:

There's built-in antivirus and anti-malware and it updates multiple times a day through Windows Update. For something that comes out of the box, it's pretty good.

Just lock his account as a User rather than an Administrator, and configure UAC to prompt for an administrator password when needing to do something like install an application.
Could he put in a password to temporarily elevate to admin? I don't live with him so I don't want him to have to wait on me to install stuff.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

WastedJoker posted:

People actually liked using Libraries?
Why not? You tie your Libraries to your data types - done. Any app that supports them knows where to look for that type of data it needs, instead of going into settings->Look for Files in <these locations> in each drat app.

Most Metro apps, as well as backup, still depend on Libraries - but now MS hides them by default. :psyduck:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Upgraded to 8.1 yesterday, but I've only really started messing around with it today.

Booting straight to desktop and using my desktop wallpaper for the Start screen really make it feel a lot more like a PC and not just a PC with a tacked-on tablet interface. The Mail app does seem to be a lot better, enough so to make me keep using it over a more traditional desktop client at least. Having a Start button back is nice as well (never bothered with any of the Start-restoring apps), something about moving my cursor to the corner to get to the start screen never felt natural.

One thing that was pretty weird: I have a standard monitor plugged into my videocard via DVI and a 1080P TV plugged in via HDMI. For some reason, the TV was set to scale all windows/cursors way larger than normal (to the point I thought it was defaulting to 720P resolution). Finally figured it out and got everything back to normal, but it's weird they'd enable something like that. I guess they're assuming displays of a certain size will be placed far enough away to necessitate something like that?

Plus, like everyone else posted, I have an extra 10 gigs free after installation - which is pretty nice on a 128 gig SSD. That's one extra game install I don't have to shuffle around!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

The Merkinman posted:

Could he put in a password to temporarily elevate to admin? I don't live with him so I don't want him to have to wait on me to install stuff.

Yes. That's exactly what a password-requesting UAC will do. You temporarily elevate privileges to accomplish the task that wants the privileges, then drop back down to user.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Terpfen posted:

Create backup image on the old machine, restore backup image on new machine.

Lum posted:

Don't do this, it's way less of a headache to just use backup image software.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Factor Mystic posted:

Create backup image on the old machine, restore backup image on new machine.

I'd rather go with a clean install. I've seen some performance issues when restoring from an image. Doesn't feel as snappy or as stable as a clean install, at least not to me.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Did many other people end up with the Windows.Old folder? Can anyone tell me how to delete it as it says it requires system privileges to do so.

This is despite me using an administrator account.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Don't do this, it's way less of a headache to just use backup image software.

Some people prefer to clean install each new release anyway, just to clear out crud. I happen to be one of them, so posted the method for others who feel similarly.

People should use whichever method suits their preferences. Your method is certainly less hassle as is preserves installed apps and settings. The downside is it preserves your installed apps, settings and cruft.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Sri.Theo posted:

Did many other people end up with the Windows.Old folder? Can anyone tell me how to delete it as it says it requires system privileges to do so.

This is despite me using an administrator account.
You can remove it via the Disk Cleanup tool. Just click on the button to cleanup system files, and then you'll see an option for cleaning up old Windows installations.

That should remove windows.old for you.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lum posted:

So you got a brand new machine and it's faulty out of the box. Why the hell wouldn't you return it for a replacement?

If you bought a new car and the aircon was broke, would you just live without aircon?

Well for one thing at least none of the nearby walmarts have this model in stock as I got the last one and I'd rather have this model than one of the other options they do have.

I was really hoping it was something I could fix with drivers or trouble shooting or something.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Intrepid00 posted:

It doesn't come up for me if I have a keyboard attached even in 8.0.

Well, I don't have a keyboard attached. I have a keyboard on my laptop.

But if I, for example, tap on my screen in the text box that I'm typing this very post in, a giant "touch keyboard" pops up that takes up half my screen. Which I don't need because I have a permanent physical keyboard right below it on this laptop. If I could figure out how to disable/remove this touch keyboard that'd be awesome.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but bear with me.

On my HTPC, the main interface for it is an IR remote, so on this machine I leave Metro as it is. It's quite nice to navigate Metro with the remote.

The main app I use is a desktop one, MediaPortal, but occasionally I have to exit out of it and use something else.

Even though I launch MediaPortal from Metro, when it exits it dumps me to the sofa and I have to drag my lazy arse out of the sofa, walk over to where the mouse is and click on the start button to get metro back.

Is there any way to automate this so that when desktop apps are done, they exit back to Metro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
I had quite an adventure upgrading. I tried three different times to do a regular upgrade from my Win 8 install, but I eventually got it to work the fourth time when I refreshed my PC. So I've been spending the past day and morning reinstalling everything and setting things back up the way they were.

Some of the changes really do impress me, though. Renaming my PC is a nice thing, although I used a registry tweak to hide my folders in it. I just use Libraries and a second internal drive for all my documents, pictures, videos, and music.

One of my favorite changes by far is how regular programs have colored app icons in the start menu now. It always bothered me to see all the same color for desktop programs on Windows 8. There's still little rhyme or reason behind the colors, but as long as my Windows Store apps don't stand out like a sore thumb anymore.

And starting up directly to desktop is great. It's kind of a pain to reinstall everything, but I like the changes enough that it seemed worth it. I had to do a clean install in August, anyway.

• Locked thread