Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You could try the latest beta drivers for your gpu straight from amd if those aren't what you're running now, but if that doesn't help, I'm fresh out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
fixed it. had to change the resolution of the screen so the scaling settings in the catalyst center wouldn't be greyed out. thanks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Those new universal Office apps sure start fast as gently caress. Now if they'd implement an option to make the UI elements smaller sized, just like in the full Office apps, they'll be awesome.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any indication Microsoft will update the UI for the likes of Windows Media Player? Or replace it with a better version of the Metro media apps? WMP still looks like a Vista/7 era app.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 6, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

We'll see whenever they'll ship the Xbox Music/Video apps and how they fare in a window.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
How can I create keyboard shortcuts to open Metro apps in Windows 8? I know how to create keyboard shortcuts for my desktop programs (ie, CTRL-ALT-C opens Calculator, no matter what program I am running), but the same strategy is not working for creating a keyboard shortcut for the Netflix and Plex Metro apps. Any ideas?

I'm using a flirc, and I want to set keyboard shortcuts for these apps so I can press the 1 key on my universal IR remote and open Netflix, 2 for Plex, etc

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

PBCrunch posted:

How can I create keyboard shortcuts to open Metro apps in Windows 8? I know how to create keyboard shortcuts for my desktop programs (ie, CTRL-ALT-C opens Calculator, no matter what program I am running), but the same strategy is not working for creating a keyboard shortcut for the Netflix and Plex Metro apps. Any ideas?

I'm using a flirc, and I want to set keyboard shortcuts for these apps so I can press the 1 key on my universal IR remote and open Netflix, 2 for Plex, etc

Pin them to your task bar and use Windows+1-9? You can pin Modern apps on 8.1 at least, not sure about 8.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PBCrunch posted:

You can try this method.

quote:

Here is a new method to start Metro-style apps from Advanced Launcher (thanks to wolfodeiwolfy). The idea is to create file shortcuts (.lnk) of these apps using the OblyTile applications, and then, start these file shortcuts (.lnk) like any other file shortcuts (.lnk) with Advanced Launcher.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those new universal Office apps sure start fast as gently caress. Now if they'd implement an option to make the UI elements smaller sized, just like in the full Office apps, they'll be awesome.
Office 365/2013 apps take a long time to start for you? Under 2 secs here on an SSD, don't notice any difference with the universal apps.

Scaling is one my biggest concerns with how universal apps will behave with the desktop.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The universal ones seem to start instantly. I start to miss quite a bunch of features in Excel, tho. While they're supported by the app, since they render fine in old sheets, things like conditional formatting and what not aren't exposed in the UI. I figure this stuff will be reserved for the full suite.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The universal ones seem to start instantly. I start to miss quite a bunch of features in Excel, tho. While they're supported by the app, since they render fine in old sheets, things like conditional formatting and what not aren't exposed in the UI. I figure this stuff will be reserved for the full suite.

I couldn't get mine to open a CSV was very displeased.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
When reinstalling windows 8 has anyone come across this error ""We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" when you're supposed to select where you want to install windows?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Sri.Theo posted:

When reinstalling windows 8 has anyone come across this error ""We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one" when you're supposed to select where you want to install windows?

I remember coming across that when I booted Windows under regular BIOS instead of UEFI and the drive I was trying to install it on was GPT formatted, I think.

Are you booting the disc/usb in UEFI mode or old school BIOS mode?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can try this method.
It is completely stupid that a third-party tool is needed to perform this simple task, but it worked.

Thanks Call Me Charlie.
No thanks to Microsoft.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Sri.Theo posted:

You may only be able to boot to UEFI install mode through whatever button tells your bootloader to let the user choose the bootpoint manually (I know on Asus it's F8 but check your manual).

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Sri.Theo posted:

If you are using a USB Installer you may have to use this method rather than the Windows USB Tool or whatever it is before you can boot into the UEFI installer along with the above thing about opening the boot menu.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The diskpart is broadly correct, and you can straight-up drag/drop the Windows 8/.1/10 install files

Note: If you're in Windows 8 or later and you want to also make it work on BIOS devices you also need to put the Windows Vista+ boot sector on the install media.
code:
bootsect /nt60 [x]: /force /mbr
(CHECK YOUR TARGETS - also you'd need to add a boot sector on an install USB made in 7 anyway, and while /force /mbr isn't necessary it doesn't hobble things any.)

Installing Windows 7 to USB from UEFI requires enough boot folder finagling that just Rufus it with the UEFI/GPT only option.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 10, 2015

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
You are all being super helpful, I'm installing windows 8.1 on a now blank hard drive (thought formatting and starting again would help!) so all the usb creation stuff is taking place on my surface pro 3.

I'll try out all your suggestions this evening and hope it works!

Edit:
Still no fix, I've started a thread to avoid clogging up this one

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 14, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Look at all these new APIs!

http://martinsuchan.github.io/ApiPeek/Diffs/win8.1.to.win10.9926.diff.html

Hell, there's even stuff for GPIO and I2C.

The other notable thing is AllJoyn, seems like some home automation related stuff's coming.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is 8.1 still a mess? Looks like I might have to do a system reboot soon, might as well upgrade the OS if its worth it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, 8.1 is pretty good. Ask away with questions once you load it up.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
If I'm upgrading from 8 it'll keep McAfee and all that on there, right?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

If I'm upgrading from 8 it'll keep McAfee and all that on there, right?

Yes but why

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I got a three year subscription thrown in when i bought the pc and there's a year left on it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't think that's a good enough reason.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Seriously, uninstall that crap and use The built in AV.

E: also don't make your login account an admin account. You'll be fine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I got a three year subscription thrown in when i bought the pc and there's a year left on it.

Free garbage is still garbage.

But yes, the win 8.1 upgrade keeps all your stuff. It's basically just the equivalent of one of the Windows 7 / Vista / XP Service Packs.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Asking if Windows 8.1 is a mess then wanting to keep McAfee installed is like turning down a salad because it might have a spec of grit on the lettuce in favour of rubbing sliced ghost peppers into your eyes. McAfee us worse than regular Windows 8 ever was, hell it's worse than WinME!

Just ask John McAfee.

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

lmao

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of antiviruses on Windows 8.1, what's the consensus on Avast!? :v: I built a new machine and decided to try Avast instead of the default one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of antiviruses on Windows 8.1, what's the consensus on Avast!? :v: I built a new machine and decided to try Avast instead of the default one.

Just use Defender.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just use Defender.

I've used Defender in the past (including Microsoft Security Essentials) but I'm wondering what are the pros and cons from Avast and Defender?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you need to use a third party AV, go with NOD32, seems to be the least intrusive.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you need to use a third party AV, go with NOD32, seems to be the least intrusive.

I'm not minding too much about intrusion (though that is important), mostly I want to know what can detect that most. Wasn't there talk in this thread a while ago about MS's stuff not really being good at detecting anymore?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Microsoft shares all of their virus signature data, so if anyone detects less than MSE/Defender they're doing a pretty loving bad job. Other anti-viruses typically have their own personal database of signatures that they run on top of Microsoft's, but that also leads to a greater frequency of false-positives.

Generally speaking, unless you're engaging in risky behavior MSE/Defender is good enough. It's lightweight, doesn't nag all the time, and has minimal false positives. Use it as your real-time scanner with a browser that has Adblock, maybe with a on-demand scanner for the occasions you have something slightly sketchy to use, and you should be covered.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Best defense against viruses is having backups. Seriously, get that sorted and worry a lot less about viruses, hard drive failures, laptop theft, accidental damage, whatever. In a context like that, MSE/Defender is more than adequate.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use chrome with Disconnect/Adblock and noscript if you really don't trust yourself. The built in malware detection in 8.1 combined with that is just fine.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
It seems Microsoft decided to castrate WBAdmin for Windows 8.1.

"The DELETE SYSTEMSTATEBACKUP command is not supported in this version of Windows."

Basically, I'm going to be creating a new system image (which still works thankfully) so I can migrate to a new SSD. Right now I just want to clear the old backup I made over a year ago since its useless at this point and just taking up space on this extra drive.

Does anyone have an alternative to this? Perhaps involving copying the program from an earlier version of windows and hoping it works? :v:

Edit: Well nevermind, it seems Windows doesn't mind if I just delete the folder entirely.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 18, 2015

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Man, Windows 8 ran so well for me for the longest time, and all of a sudden, problem after problem after problem. Right now I'm battling some unending 100% disk usage problem that I can't seem to fix no matter how many of the solutions I complete from a google search. And now all my text is all blurry and ugly. Why can't compoopers just run right forever :negative:

Probably just going to reformat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

EAB posted:

Man, Windows 8 ran so well for me for the longest time, and all of a sudden, problem after problem after problem. Right now I'm battling some unending 100% disk usage problem that I can't seem to fix no matter how many of the solutions I complete from a google search. And now all my text is all blurry and ugly. Why can't compoopers just run right forever :negative:

Probably just going to reformat.

Get CrystalDiskInfo and check the status of your hard-drive. It may be failing.

• Locked thread