Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Upgraded to 8.1 yesterday, but I've only really started messing around with it today.

Booting straight to desktop and using my desktop wallpaper for the Start screen really make it feel a lot more like a PC and not just a PC with a tacked-on tablet interface. The Mail app does seem to be a lot better, enough so to make me keep using it over a more traditional desktop client at least. Having a Start button back is nice as well (never bothered with any of the Start-restoring apps), something about moving my cursor to the corner to get to the start screen never felt natural.

One thing that was pretty weird: I have a standard monitor plugged into my videocard via DVI and a 1080P TV plugged in via HDMI. For some reason, the TV was set to scale all windows/cursors way larger than normal (to the point I thought it was defaulting to 720P resolution). Finally figured it out and got everything back to normal, but it's weird they'd enable something like that. I guess they're assuming displays of a certain size will be placed far enough away to necessitate something like that?

Plus, like everyone else posted, I have an extra 10 gigs free after installation - which is pretty nice on a 128 gig SSD. That's one extra game install I don't have to shuffle around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread