Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Well, beyond the time to actually install, that was a pretty painless install.

ed: the old changed reverted new-and-improved find-as-you-type behaviour is the tits. Searching for "windows update" "device manager" and the like doesn't just flood you with everything that's even faintly similar any more.

eded: my NVIDIA drivers have kicked 3D mode on without being asked, too. I wondered why EvE was looking washed-out.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sether01 posted:

Hmmm, what's the trick to doing this? If I snap it, it still takes about about 1/4 the size of my monitor. Unless that's what you mean. I've never used the music app much, so I don't know if that's what you are referring to or not.

When you snap things now, you'll notice the bar that seperates the snapped app from the rest of the screen has those dots on it that shows it's resizeable.

There seems to be some sort of resolution cutoff below which this doesn't work, but it's less than 1280x1024.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sether01 posted:

Ah nice, ok. Yeah I figured that part out, but I was reading the posts as it being resizeable to any size at all. Which, honestly, I don't understand why that isn't doable with metro apps anyway, but eh . . .still better then it was!

Yeah, it's not freely scaleable, but depending on resolution it'll flip over between snapped-with-padding and full-sized at some point. From a little experimenting, I think it's about 800px.

Ihmemies posted:

I still have no idea what this "This PC" thing is. I can't see such a label anywhere after upgrade. :sigh:

Open explorer.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has anyone noticed significantly longer boot times since 8.1? On an SSD I've gone from one-ish spin of the logo to three or four.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Swink posted:

I'm running Win8.1, connected to a domain. My screen auto-locks within about 5 minutes of inactivity or less.

I followed this guide and enabled the 'console lock display off timeout' setting and cranked it up to 60 minutes but it's had no effect. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8268-lock-screen-timeout-period-change-windows-8-a.html

This is a PC - there's no battery power considerations. I feel like this is a simple issue that has just thrown me.

Are you sure there's not a policy being pushed down to you?

• Locked thread