Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Since updating to Win8.1 I regularly hear the sound of a device being disconnected, and then reconnected. It's driving me loving mad. Is there any way for me to find out what device Windows things is being disconnected/reconnected constantly?
Do you have any USB 3 devices? My Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe has some trouble with USB 3 drivers, so my external hard drives keep getting knocked offline. Apparently Asus did update their drivers a few days ago, but I haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Windows Update halts with error code 80244FFF. Are there any ways to fix it short of a reinstall or running your own WSUS instance? DISM and SFC report no issues.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

How do I monitor the historical mem/cpu usage of processes right at startup when logging in?
Win-X -> Computer Management -> Performance. There should be a performance counter set there called System Performance. Start it up and reboot.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Lum posted:

So it turns out that when you copy an app store URL to the clipboard (in this case from IRC as we were mocking this app's unfortunate name), win 8.1.1 will immediately switch to the full screen windows store app and start loading the page.

How do I get rid of that behaviour?
I just tried it, and nothing happened. Are you sure that there's no browser or some kind of plugin/addon monitoring the clipboard and preloading the page? Loading the page in a browser does cause Windows Store app to pop up.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

They have a custom image with a lot of metro stuff turned off as default for example when someone double click opens an image used in the game for inspection or whatever it doesn't open in the metro viewer because that was driving people nuts. I'm not sure how it works if you try to change that on your own and you're not a local admin.
Default programs have been user-specific settings for a long time. They're in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts. Setting reasonable defaults in a custom image or via group policy is preferable when you're dealing with multiple machines, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

I have Windows 7 64 bit and am pondering upgrading to Win 8.1. I know back in the day doing a clean install of Windows instead of an upgrade (i.e. Win98 to XP, etc.) was usually the better way to do it. Is this still true or am I just doing a lot more work for the same result nowadays?
Doing a clean install is always the safest option, but if you have any programs that you don't want to reinstall or any settings that you don't want to re-do, it's worth a shot to try to upgrade. Windows 8.1 even auto-reverts any changes it made if the upgrade failed.

• Locked thread