Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I installed 8.1 from the store with one minor issue where I had to reinstall my graphics drivers (nvidia) but in hindsight I'm thinking it was the 3d setting being enabled and reinstalling put it back to default.

Anyway, lovely changes...impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Ruin Completely posted:

For some reason I waited to update to 8.1 till now and everything worked fine except it messed up the scaling on my secondary monitor; there's black bars on the bottom and right side of the screen. Since it's just an 'extra bullshit' monitor it's hooked up to my mobo via VGA and I can't find anything in the intel display options or the windows screen resolution tab that'll get it back to normal. It's an HD TV and I already have overscan disabled on the TV itself. I would hook it up to my GPU so I could use the Catalyst Control Center but the TV only has HDMI and VGA and I'm already using the one HDMI my GPU has on my main monitor, which for god knows what reason also only has HDMI and VGA. Is there something I missed or am I gonna have to download some third party monitor software?

Reinstall your display drivers. I had to do the same thing.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

kiwid posted:

250gb SSDs we're too expensive. So I did this:

I don't even get what this is supposed to mean. Your purchase has to be a failure unless those 2 120's were free.

You didn't mention the model(s)? I'd like to tell you how much you got hosed.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 12, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Nevermind, sorry

z06ck fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 17, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

dorkanoid posted:

talking about 8.1 at work... I got 8.1 on my work computer this week (my own choice, I could've picked 7 if I wanted).

It's been great, but: The start menu search seems really bad compared to my home computer. It's almost like things aren't indexed at all - searching for anything within the control panel gives a blank result, in fact, searching for anything but whatever's in the start menu will get no results.

I've checked that the search indexer is running, and that it's finished, so I'm at a loss. Is there something special with search in a domain environment? My old Win7 install would find things on shared drives, in Outlook emails, everything...

Does Windows key + S still show nothing?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

This update 1 is pretty nice, getting there microsoft.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I have audio lag that occurs, this is not dependent on the player that I use. It only happens while I'm idle and playing music to my TV through HDMI. I have the latest intel drivers(which is what drives audio for HDMI). Latest drivers of everything else as well, what my computer supports anyway. Everytime this happens I see a clock in my task bar which shows that the system is undergoing maintenance, I've looked at the task scheduler and I don't see anything unusual. It has to be related to whatever bullshit 8.1 is trying to do but I can't figure out what it's doing.

Laptop is a U36SD-DH51

It comes and goes, it takes about 5 minutes to start happening and clears within 30 seconds and then happens ~5 minutes later. All while some maintenance is running in the background. This is not my only 8.1 computer, I'm adept to this poo poo and it's driving me crazy.

z06ck fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 26, 2014

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

z06ck posted:

I have audio lag that occurs, this is not dependent on the player that I use. It only happens while I'm idle and playing music to my TV through HDMI. I have the latest intel drivers(which is what drives audio for HDMI). Latest drivers of everything else as well, what my computer supports anyway. Everytime this happens I see a clock in my task bar which shows that the system is undergoing maintenance, I've looked at the task scheduler and I don't see anything unusual. It has to be related to whatever bullshit 8.1 is trying to do but I can't figure out what it's doing.

Laptop is a U36SD-DH51

It comes and goes, it takes about 5 minutes to start happening and clears within 30 seconds and then happens ~5 minutes later. All while some maintenance is running in the background. This is not my only 8.1 computer, I'm adept to this poo poo and it's driving me crazy.

I fixed this by disabling idle maintenance under task scheduler.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Tgent posted:

My Windows 8.1 install seems to have completely shat itself overnight. It's taking forever to log in, then failing, then letting me log in and saying it can't connect to the group policy service or something. Once actually logged in any new action takes 5-10 minutes to actually open the requested window/program (google chrome, for instance, took 10 minutes). Some programs won't start at all saying "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." . Anyone know what might be going on?

Sounds like more of a hardware issue, run crystal disk info and see what it reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Which is supposed to be in September, last I read.

• Locked thread