Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I like how people have a random problem like that (that probably isn't even Windows' fault) and act like it is happening to everyone or it's intended behavior or something. Yeah, Windows 8.1 renders everyone's USB ports unusable. Also why did you "have to" go back to Windows 7 instead of 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It will only reboot automatically if not rebooted for 2 days after updating.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh. Well that's not quite what I want but I can be satisfied with this for a while.

No really, press the windows key and then start typing.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You can't run secpol.msc? I have non-pro and I can. Also Homegroup works on non-Pro as well.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Sorry, apparently I am on Pro. I really didn't think I was.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Or even click start type "shut down"

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

To be fair, people have been trained for years and years that pressing the power button is bad.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Microsoft's position on the anti-virus and anti-malware they include with 8/8.1 basically boils down to "it's better than being naked."

They aren't intending on providing a fully comprehensive solution, just some basic coverage.

Where are you getting this from? Windows Defender in 8 is the same thing as Microsoft Security Essentials which they certainly tout as a full antivirus/antispyware.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

WorkingStiff posted:

Anecdotally, none of the premium security suites are doing too well detection-wise with CryptoLocker because end-users still do stupid poo poo like open attachments or cruise Russian warez sites on XP. Windows8's Defender coupled with Malware Bytes Pro and common sense should serve most users. However, I really have to question why MS Defender and MBAM don't update automatically without user intervention on a daily basis. I've had to put a task in task scheduler to check for updates every few hours, and this seems like something that should be configurable from within the program.

There was a recent piece of "journalism" from a tech blog which took something an MS representative said out of context. Dozens of other "tech sites" jumped on the dogpile quoting the original "journalist". Turns out he paraphrased and missed some key points: MSSE is literally the baseline for the AV-Test security benchmark, MS shares all of it's malware definitions with all of the other vendors, and that in their real world telemetry MSSE and Defender have far better detection and far less customer impact than indicated by AV-Tests's artificial benchmark. After getting sued and slapped with sanctions again and again for anti-trust and monopoly violations and lawyers howling foul whenever they add a new feature or service which cuts into the pie of third-party vendors piggy-backing on MS, I'd take anything they say with a huge grain of salt. MS has more of a vested interested in encouraging a malware-free user experience in their software ecosystem than their vendors do.

Very interesting stuff, thank you for that. In terms of updating, my Windows 8 Defender updates through Windows Updates every night during "maintenance" at 3am. I wonder why yours isn't.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

I need to return this laptop for defective hardware HOW THE HELL DO I REMOVE MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT FROM THIS COMPUTER AND REFORMAT/RESET/WHATEVER IT?

Nothing I can find on the internet SOLVES this PROBLEM! I can't delete the User Account from the regular Windows Control Panel, and there is no Reset/Refresh whatever option at all in the fancy new Metro Computer Settings whatever panel!

What is WRONG with MICROSOFT? Why do they make this so HARD? On iPhone or Android this takes like 5 seconds to get to!

Click start and type "Reset" and then choose the option to reset your PC? "Remove everything and reinstall Windows"

edit: I Googled "Reset my PC" and got this as the first result: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
:confused:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Hey gang.

I just bought a Lenovo T440s laptop that I'm trying to do a clean install of Win8 onto. The Lenovo recovery disks keep trying to recreate the stupid recovery partition, etc.

I don't want any of that. I literally just want Win8. Since I have a legit Win8 OEM key, is it possible to download some ISO somewhere? I'd prefer to steer clear of :filez:, etc. Is there an ISO image that is know to work with OEM keys?

Hopefully I didn't ask anything out of line.

Read the OP a little harder.

edit: here.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Lum posted:

Apart from your mouse pointer on a second monitor if you have ATI graphics.

What are you talking about?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Are you talking about the "Metro" full-screen version of Firefox, or Firefox on the Desktop? I am not sure that clicking the Start screen icon is the intended method to switch to a running application either way. I mean even in Windows 7 if I have Firefox open and I click the shortcut in the Start menu, it opens a new instance. Try hitting the upper left hot corner and finding it there, or alt-tab.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Desktop Firefox, I couldn't even find Firefox in the store so I'm guessing Microsoft is doing some weird "no competitive browsers" thing there. I guess I'm just looking for Metro to cooperate with the taskbar and that's probably never going to happen. If something is running I just want it focused instead of relaunched or a new instance run when I click a tile. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't and the inconsistency and poor interaction between the two is frustrating. It seems to work best when I just use it as a launcher and starts to annoy me if I do anything else.

I guess I will just stick with the desktop and keep Metro disabled.

Yeah, I think you have the wrong idea of what the Start screen is. It's just the Start menu only full screened. What you are calling "Metro" is the old name for the new-style full screened apps. These apps will only run one instance - examples being Weather, Mail. So yes if they are running, clicking their tile will just shift focus to them. Desktop apps such as Firefox, Notepad and so forth run on the Desktop and clicking their icon again will launch a new instance just like clicking the icon on the Start menu for Windows 7.

It does seem a bit confusing at first but you just have to know which few apps are "Metro" and which run on the desktop. On a desktop PC there's really not much reason to use the Metro apps, so just think of the Start screen as a big Start menu.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I really don't understand the whole complaint that Metro/full-screen apps are somehow "pushed on" people. How? I use the Metro weather app because I choose to but that is really it. How is anything pushed on you? Just... don't go to the Store app?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

c0burn posted:

Search is Unified on 8.1 isn't it?

Yes it is.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

DarkJC posted:

It's been more than a year since Windows 8 launched and using Metro apps on my desktop PC is still a poo poo experience.

Then don't! :wth:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Thanks for the info. I wanted to avoid having to phone into Microsoft, but I had a feeling there was no way to.

It's just an automated system where you type in a code and it gives you a code back. It's tedious but better than a person for something like this. The main trick is say "zero" when it asks how many machines you have with this copy. First time I did it, I said "one" because I only had the one computer, but it really means "how many machines besides this one have this copy of Windows already?" and it will just hang up on you.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Hmm weird. It's been a while since I've done it, maybe they made it more user-friendly. Sorry!

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm I bought an ultrabook with Win7 but mid cycle it switched to Win8. I wonder if its already Win8 activated through the bios? I guess I can try phone activation? Win8 should pull the correct key from the bios or whatever automagically(if it exists) right?

Wait, what? Mid cycle of what?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I have 8GB of RAM, and I manually set my page file to 2GB and it's on my 120GB SSD. No issues.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I love how page file arguments still happen in 2014. Good times. Anyway, if you are going to make a 1GB page file, why would you not make it on your SSD? It just makes things dumber and more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, that's pretty much the end of the story.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That error description that you linked to doesn't say anything about a "dubious source" or really even imply it. You could have just called Microsoft like it says.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Congratulations on your potential virus/keylogger/bitcoin mining bot. Not sure what to tell you.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don't know what "it seems to be an issue with win8 laptops" means exactly, but you should probably post in the haus of tech support with all the relevant details. There's very little chance we can identify this issue off the poor description you've given.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Got any numbers on the disk space taken up by various Windows versions? Hadn't really heard that one.

beejay fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 12, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

What am I missing here?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Windows has remembered window position for quite some time now. :confused:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Why would anyone care what their "Xbox avatar" is if they don't have an Xbox? Serious question.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That update was out on Update Tuesday which was this week. It pretty much tells you everything that's included on that page.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

http://www.zdnet.com/this-months-update-rollup-for-windows-8-1-delivers-more-than-just-bug-fixes-7000032565/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah, I haven't really thought about it before, but it doesn't seem that window borders/frames are really necessary.

• Locked thread