Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

XtaC posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to run the Drivers side exhaust (side with starter and steering shaft), forward, around the front of the engine, and out the Passenger side.

I genuinely can't see another way of doing it, and getting a reasonable diameter pipe in there, and not dumping huge amounts of heat into the starter motor.

Are you trying to use the stock headers? I've never seen an exhaust routing like that on one of these swaps....but I've also never seen anyone attempt to use the stock stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011

Motronic posted:

Are you trying to use the stock headers? I've never seen an exhaust routing like that on one of these swaps....but I've also never seen anyone attempt to use the stock stuff.

Nah, I can't really use the standard stuff, and I would much rather run a decent set of pipes for HP and noises.

When I say I can't use the factory stuff, I'm lying a bit. I could use the Passeger side (on a RHD) exhaust manifold, it fits quite OK.

The Drivers side is a definite no- go though.

I do have some pics of the standard manifolds test fitted ... just have to find them.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
You may have more room than I thought, really depends on how you get around the motor mount. Here is the starter side of my setup with the Renegade shorty headers.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011
My main issue is having the steering shaft, and starter motor on the same side of the engine; it really kills it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This may sound a little kooky, but could you adapt things to put the starter on the other side, so you only have one "interference" item left and right? Or clocked around so it's lower down?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

This may sound a little kooky, but could you adapt things to put the starter on the other side, so you only have one "interference" item left and right? Or clocked around so it's lower down?

Manual trans and push start it. K.I.S.S. and all that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sockington posted:

Manual trans and push start it. K.I.S.S. and all that.

Remove starter, add winch. Tie the wire to a faraway tree and drag yourself up to speed to start.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 13, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hand crank, obvious.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

meatpimp posted:

Hand crank, obvious.

Fit a coffman starter. Much more badass.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Computer viking posted:

Remove starter, add winch. Tie the wire to a faraway tree and drag yourself up to speed to start.

Buy a small disposable car, use it to pull the cord on a pull-starter. Fit a cutting deck while you're about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
An inertial starter would be neat, but probably far too large. :(

Edit: looks like I'm wrong, a car sized one can be done quite small: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNijql5V7s4

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 14, 2014

• Locked thread