Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

What are your plans for the gauge cluster? Going to try and keep it looking stock and get the tach working with the V8, or custom, or somehow hack the VY cluster in? How about ECU? Since it's out of an 08, I'd think you'd need to get it flashed to get rid of the immobilizer, traction control, etc.

The LS engine is fantastic - like you said, very simple, cranks out tons of power all day every day, reliable, and cheap. There's some guy on YouTube who grabs junkyard LS1 engines, straps a bigass turbo on them, and drops them into whatever he has handy at the time. One vehicle he had was a stock Chevy pickup, original engine, tons of miles (I want to say far north of 200k miles - so over 320k km), just strapped a big turbo on it (I think he may have added a shift kit to the stock auto trans too). When he actually opens up the engines, it's usually to slap in new* (whatever he has laying around) bearings, a new head gasket, or to toss in new* (again, whatever he has laying around, used or new) rings. I can't seem to find his videos now though.

Goon EinTier had someone's abandoned project (944? with a Chevy small block swap, never finished), no idea what became of that.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. :neckbeard:

That's denmah on youtube most likely. He is insane in all the right ways.

ultimateforce posted:

Big engine bays: LS
Long engine bays: 2JZ
Front wheel drive bays: K20

There, I just fixed every car.
Add the jeep 4.0 for when you absolutely, positively must add a quarter ton of dead weight to your frontend and might hydrolock it or forget to put oil/coolant in it occasionally.

The nutjobs at HotRod magazine built a 1200hp junkyard "5.3" LSx with a stock bottom end (complete with rust etching on one bore from sitting in a junkyard with water in the cylinder), changed the ring gap, heads, cam, and two monster turbos and thrashed the poo poo out of it without blowing the engine up, then discovered it was actually a 4.8L. There's a reason I love those drat engines and kinda wish one fit into my build plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

I suppose you could do that. But what are you trying to save in there? The seals that hold the ATF you'll never put in it again?

Mine are zip tied to the rack. For the last 5 years. All is well.

Probably the gears inside that don't like water/dirt :shrug:

I would probably pump it full of grease and then loop the hoses if I owned one, honestly. Keeps the water and grit out - I know firsthand what happens when some water gets into a power steering pump, it settled down through the hoses into the steering gearbox (regular ol' saginaw style) and a few weeks later the steering felt notchy and grindy, then after a couple months of sitting, it was seized.

The pump and box were coming out soon anyways (pump whining, box very loose and leaking from every seal) so I didn't really care, but it would have really sucked if they weren't something I could find in every junkyard in the country for like $50.

If you only drive it in fair weather or get lucky it'll be fine, but I try not to rely on things like that.

• Locked thread