Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What are your plans for the gauge cluster? Going to try and keep it looking stock and get the tach working with the V8, or custom, or somehow hack the VY cluster in? How about ECU? Since it's out of an 08, I'd think you'd need to get it flashed to get rid of the immobilizer, traction control, etc.

The LS engine is fantastic - like you said, very simple, cranks out tons of power all day every day, reliable, and cheap. There's some guy on YouTube who grabs junkyard LS1 engines, straps a bigass turbo on them, and drops them into whatever he has handy at the time. One vehicle he had was a stock Chevy pickup, original engine, tons of miles (I want to say far north of 200k miles - so over 320k km), just strapped a big turbo on it (I think he may have added a shift kit to the stock auto trans too). When he actually opens up the engines, it's usually to slap in new* (whatever he has laying around) bearings, a new head gasket, or to toss in new* (again, whatever he has laying around, used or new) rings. I can't seem to find his videos now though.

Goon EinTier had someone's abandoned project (944? with a Chevy small block swap, never finished), no idea what became of that.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

At least in the US, GM pretty much got rid of cables in the early to mid 00s, depending on model. I think my particular car only had a cable for the 2003 model year (my model was made for 03-07 - 06 Saturn Ion, but it's a Chevy Cobalt with uglier body panels and a nicer interior). I have no idea how that applies to you - a quick google suggests most/all VZs are drive by wire (but this was about 10 seconds of searching).

Water and oil sensors should be easy. Tach shouldn't be that difficult with the right stuff. Your cluster (probably) isn't tied directly into the ECU, so you've got that working for you.

kastein or others can probably suggest some fixes for the tach if the Holley ECU doesn't have an output. I'm just guessing that some kind of circuit that sends half the pulses to the tach is all you need, but I have no idea how to assemble something like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

K24

BECAUSE NO DISPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT :byodood: or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:wtc:

I was mostly a lurker there after the [H] spinoff. But that's not a name you see at all, ever, these days.

I still log in like once a year, but I don't think I've posted in at least 4-5 years.

XtaC posted:

I'll be using the Holley ECU instead of the GM one.

2. The Holley system can self tune (and actually seems to do it pretty drat well). This will mean no trip to the dyno for initial tuning, or for subsequent mods; this will save me significant amounts of cash and time later on.

The GM ecu is shockingly capable. Though you'd still need the ECU itself, and someone with tuning software...

kastein posted:

That's denmah on youtube most likely. He is insane in all the right ways.

Nailed it.

• Locked thread