Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

jaegerx posted:

No mention of best legendary quip. Op sucks.

It needs no mention because of how cool it is, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Back during ~*Boss Week*~ Tacitus and I met a gentleman who was really mad about the banners. REALLY. MAD. Just SO drat MAD. He COULDN'T GET INTO THE BANK. Because there were SO MANY BANNERS. HE COULDN'T COPE. And whomever was posting those banners was GIVING SFD A BAD REPUTATION. Like, he knew that it was JUST ONE GUY and not THE WHOLE GUILD but the guild reputation was BEING TARNISHED.

I feared him into a bunch of fish heads, it was a great night

Bird, you and I both know that banners just loving dump system memory, so I'm not surprised that guy was upset with our little stunt. So many additional polygons to render! :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

Best: Garbage.

Don't hate charr. They aren't asura. :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Huh. Never seen that quest take place at all. A year and some change, and this game still hides hidden treasures from me; I love that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Combos are not remotely the same thing as rotations. Like not even close. I'm not sure how someone can make that comparison, they're not even a similar thing, they're completely different concepts.

Precisely this, unless he means to say he is telling people in Mumble when to throw down particular combo fields and when to use finishers, and "rotating" through them. If that's the case, then that is excessive to the point of being obsessive.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

MysteriousThing posted:

Thank you for dredging this up for me. This is worse than I feared. They are as of that post doing things the way they should have in beta.

I took a look at that link provided for you. A few posts in, I noticed this:

Moka.9641 posted:

“Omgz skill lag, why not fix already, so easy, my grandma can do it, QQQQQQ, buy better server QQQQQ,”-Random GW2 player

Which sounds like a simplified version of this:

MysteriousThing posted:

Yes, I agree with you up to a point.
"Skill Lag" is a problem but when you say a problem is because of another problem you still don't shine light on the source.

Why is there skill lag?
Arena-Net has plenty of money as I am sure you are aware. Why can't they just upgrade like so many competitors have already?

I really don't know a great deal about the specifics of what Arena-net is facing but I can say with certainty that money is not their problem.

I think, maybe, listen to the people in this thread for once and understand that throwing money at the problem isn't going to fix it, but instead some hard work fixing faulty code to allow it to perform better with the equipment they have.

EDIT: Oh, I see you presented this exact same point on the official skill lag thread (which you posted in but still needed people to cite for you?) and you got the exact same response of "optimization and software updates are far better than just throwing money at the problem." I honestly have no idea what you are driving at with this other than to stir up poo poo and/or validate your viewpoint (which coincidentally earned you your most recent probation, best I can tell).

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 28, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Secret Sweater posted:

To be fair, money could possibly "fix" this problem. What some games have done in the past is buy the additional processing power to alleviate the symptoms while they work on the optimization aspect of it. Once they patch that, then they dial back their computing power. Anet just didn't choose to go that route, so here we are.

A fair point, yes. But, even in this case, they aren't upgrading or improving anything, just simply broadening their processing power. I will agree with you that yes, this can and does work, but as you state, it's a temporary solution to a long-term problem. Still, they are telling us what's going on, which is a far cry above the poo poo that other game companies pulls on us (EA being a prime example).

Tarq posted:

In the end they might have to get creative like CCP did in EVE by slowing down the server heartbeat in order to have a slower but lag free battle. Granted that solution might not work for this game, but illustrates the point.

That actually wouldn't be so bad if handled correctly, though I'm sure a ton of twitch-gamers would cause a shitstorm about it.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 28, 2013

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I am literally doing this right now.

By "this" I mean being a Hylek.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Secret Sweater posted:

Whenever I do fractals and we get the archdiviner I always jump inside of him cuz it's a gamble on just making the encounter a lot faster, but that's about it and it doesn't seem to depend on everyone else doing it. I have seen groups ask everyone to stack inside of him before, though.

I usually ask everyone but the guy with the hammer to get on it to increase the chances of it happening, but apart from that there's no real reason to have more than one guy if you can make it work.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Enough about shields. There is a far, far more dangerous concern going on in GW2 than you may think! I am here to shed light on this and other problems!

What other agendas does A-net have in store?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Anyone who is in SFD: I will be doing another Dye Quiz, this time it's Toxic Alliance Edition. Please be there post reset to get a chance to earn you some dyes!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god I won't be home until like 6 pacific, wait for me??

I will wait for you. :heysexy:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Visidan posted:

In celebration of a recent windfall of mine I sent out over 100 boosters of various types to various SFD members in preparation for the fractal update. Usually I frown on pay to win but if we are to be competitive in this new FLSO (Fractal Leaderboard Season One) we need this so I think it's worth it.

Oh boy I hope I got something nice! :dance:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

The SFD mantra

This is why I use big runes on my hammer guardian when we party together, Gandlethorpe.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

SFD has also had an ongoing policy since fractals were introduced that if you want to do fractals, it doesn't matter what level you are. Are you level 1? Let's do it. Are you the only person with no AR at all in a group? Everyone does something you can handle.
Fractals, more than any other dungeon, create an atmosphere of elitism and exclusion, so we go out of our way to make sure you won't get left behind if you really want to take part of it.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ what the gently caress is with the white dude's face?!

It's called a beard, because it is Santa Claus. I can't believe Swiss lets you lead our guild in his absence.

(To be fair I too am curious as how one makes a character look like Klaus Nomi.)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Zhulik posted:

Sounds like it's time for another showmatch.

Be warned, Arus is a savage and relentless opponent. You can hear Maths sobbing softly every morning when he puts in his glass eye Arus changes the rules mid-match yet again.

Fixed that for you, buddy.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Sadly, I believe the llama finisher will be available only to those that are participating in this year's SPvP tournament. :(

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Anet's support is brutal though, took me 9 days to find out why I got a 3 day suspension a while back.

Maybe you should be a little bit nicer to Mux in the future, man.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do this with Tacitus but unironically.

;-* Gonna have a good time tonight during the dye quiz, baby.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Lonk posted:

Grab your free Black Lion Key/Disappointment from the gemstore now.

Also free magic find booster/mystic forge daily fodder.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please do not discriminate against bird/arus partnerships!

Next fanfic topic found :getin:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You'd best share it in the thread so those of us without SFD forums access can admire be horrified by your work.

Did you see the newest one? It's great.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Dinictus posted:

And tell the graph design team to stop leaving charr necks bare

Would it kill them to give me one heavy helmet that covers the whole neck? They go for the neck every time, Tivac. Every time!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Tacitus is even now planning his Koss x Rurik x Logan x Arus magnum opus.

gently caress no.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Knowing Tacitus, it will actually be Arus x Logan x Bird x Snail.

Also wrong.

Birds loving snails and vice versa are now played out. I'm moving on to Arus x Goshawk x Asura x Asura x Asura, or as I am calling it, "ARUS: LET'S KICK THIS MARRIAGE UP A NOTCH"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Until I get Phoenix!!!

Arus is gonna cream his jeans if you keep that up.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

No you see, the joke is that the sailor scouts are all named after planets, and Arus is oh never mind

Arus is your planet? You mean to say... Arus, is your whole world?

So adorable! :allears:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But your company is worth it :allears:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh well in that case, hey baby wanna PvP later? :allears:

Do not make me post the fanfic here. :colbert:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Kessel posted:

We've already had a taste of Rurik and Koss. Just go ahead and do it.

It's far, far worse than that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Never, the bird is mine.

The bird is mine!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I kind of want to swap my thief and my necromancer's names since nobody ever seems to know what a goshawk is or how to pronounce it. :saddowns: Goon advice needed: Is Lorikeet any more recognizable as a kind of bird? Pretend that you don't know my whole in-game naming gimmick is bird species, I guess.

If it makes you feel any better, lots of people in SFD pronounce "Tacitus" as "tack-ti-kus" and I hate them all. :v:

VVV I pronounce your name as "fatfuck" sometimes, admittedly.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 14, 2014

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I like how it's just me charging the enemies to clean up. :v:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

RPZip posted:

C in ancient Latin is always a hard C, which is pronounced the same way a K would be in English. The correct Latin pronunciations of Cesar, Cicero and Tacitus are Kesar, Kikero and Takitus. :ssh:

Which would be fine if anyone said it that way, either. :v:

EDIT: most often it is said as "Tactic-us,"

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

That was the most obscure insult I have ever read. The effort people to into hating on my terrible posting is almost never not amusing.

Obscurity does not equate effort.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Forgall posted:

that's a shop right?

Not even slightly.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

^^^^^
Birds don't have arms... But I do. ;-*

Turncoat Mommy posted:

You don't mean that do you, onii-chan?

God drat it, Andry

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2014

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Honestly, Anet should have seen that problem coming a mile away. People--lots of people--take PvP very seriously, and giving them their own instance that isn't tied to a jumping puzzle would have been smarter.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

BombermanX posted:

New idea for Arus fanfic: have Bird make a nest in his chest hair and they raise a family in it.

Post in the commonplace book thread in WCB please

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Arus is the new Skyhammer Hero.

Did the best, still managed to lose: Arus in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Alteisen posted:

I know the boss, I've fought her plenty normally.

I'm just awful at explaining myself, so I guess I'll just be blunt.

Is there such a monster as a good exploit and a bad one?

Stacking broke the spider queen, is this any different than using a thief to skip the golem part hunt in Caudedcus? Or going through walls in Arah when it was possible?

Was corpse strats and skipping the drill poo poo in the dredge fractal(when it was possible) a good exploit or a bad one?

Should all exploits be considered equal?

"Beat dungeons slightly faster with this one weird trick that Anet HATES!"
I don't mean this to sound mean, but you have a habit of overreaction. One weird trick no longer being viable changes nothing about fighting the spider the normal way, so honestly what are you upset about? You said you have done it plenty of times, and that you know the fight, so what about this is setting you off? Longer fight time? No "easy mode?" No dungeon is so difficult that it cannot be done the way it was intended. Dungeons have bugs, sure, but no dungeon is impossible as a result of these bugs. If you are having trouble doing a dungeon, find a better group to run with: Goon Squad is full of people who know what they are doing.

• Locked thread