Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ It looks like The Anomaly, which is a focus and costs roughly a million gold, but at least doesn't look like garbage like every other focus does.

No mention of the best races (quaggans and skritt) in the OP. Worst OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And then you use a kit and never see it again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

I notice one of you guys recreated Princess Zelda on your character, is the customization done with a 'costume creator' type thing, or is it a matter of finding and recoloring gear?

The latter. If you hit the pvp button and go to the heart of the mists you'll find a set of lockers that have almost every weapon and armor skin in the game (and some that cannot be acquired in pve for no real reason) in them, so you can use that to plan out a look by previewing the pieces. You can preview dyes or armor/weapons from the trading post in the same way, though there is less control of what parts get dyed in the preview window.

Now you're all set to plan out your pretty princesses.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Can we get exotic transmutation stones that go cross armor class. Anet please :(

What have you done? Now that the option of a new type of trans stone has been mentioned by someone anywhere, anet will do that rather than just let the existing trans stones do it.

Of course this is assuming they will ever allow cross-class transmutation in the first place. Come on, anet, throw medium armor classes a bone and let them at least wear some other class's armor if you won't make anything that isn't long coats.

Just adding cross-class transmutation to existing stones would be bad news for me, because there is so much stuff I'd mix with the new available options. Doing anything would certainly be interesting with only like 4 free bag spaces :(. (Please add a skin locker that isn't exploitative, anet. Playing pretty princess is the only value this game has.)

chumbler fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 21, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

Town Clothes are the ultimate in poor item implementation. It's something that actively rewards you for not playing the game. Idle in town with your pretty outfit and play another game on your second monitor I guess?

Honestly a pretty good, but very cynical tag line for GW2 is "A lot of potentially good ideas poorly delivered on, if at all." Mostly cosmetic end game (until they decided to add another tier that was totally planned since before release guys, honest!) but it's an enormous hassle and bag space hog to keep and swap those appearances. Crafting system that has a built in method for discovery of recipes but most of the time ends up being just an extra button you have to push to make a stock item that is identical to every single stock item of the same type from crating level 1. Town clothes that to 99% of players may as well not even exist. A trait and utility skill system that should allow for creativity in builds but is poorly balanced and too restrictive. Dynamic events that would cause waypoints and camps to come under enemy control unless players depend and clear them, except doing so is time consuming and unrewarding.

And then there's just the whole gem shop and how it could have been handled much better. Rather than trying to nickel and dime players by charging for convenience, or exploiting people who fall for black lion chests, they're sitting on a potential gold mine in the armor skins section. There are a ton of GW1 armor skins that would probably sell like hot cakes (and maybe light armor could actually get some drat pants instead of robes and skirts, medium armor something without a coat, and heavy armor more things without a skirt).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

The main thing I don't get about Scarlet is how she somehow works with all of these factions that should loathe her. First it was the xenophobic and misogynistic Flame Legion Charr and now (possibly) the most outright racist, slavering faction in the game is working with her? I'm all for alliances of convenience but it boggles the mind how one plant person is capable of brokering alliances and striking deals with these dudes that seemingly hate everyone that isn't them.

She explained that during the invasions. They work for her or she kills them, duh.

What, you expected a real reason that would indicate that more than 15 seconds of thought went into her character and scenarios?

Just watch, she's going to turn out to be the sylvari dragon or some poo poo.

vvvv She's also more boring than the humans :v:. Truly the best at everything.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 22, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

McSlaughter posted:

There were a few antagonists that I really liked for different reasons. I liked the Lich, because he looked cool (I was eleven.) and was a fairly interesting, albeit fairly two-dimensional, character. I think Palawa Joko worked so well because you never even fought him... He basically twisted your arm into making you work with him in order to even get to Abaddon. That just benefited him so well and eventually led to his conquering of Elona. What a player.

I also liked Dagnar for what he was worth, and a lot of other lower-profile baddies in the lore of GW1. Hell I really liked Abaddon, probably because of his history on top of having some of the coolest zones and minions in the entire game.

Above all though, I think the White Mantle are by far the best. They were extremely exploitative and manipulative, and all of the background lore concerning them and how the entire order was formed (Saul was literally disappeared by the Mursaat, and the remaining eight just said "holy gently caress we can't ever let anybody know" and swore a pact of silence to jointly reign supreme over Kryta) and how they gained the love of the people but then oppressed them into near-slavery was awesome, there were so many societal and religious commentaries to be found and analyzed, I loved it.

That also reminds me of the Mursaat. They may have been a bitch to fight, but when you really found out more about them in the obscure realms of Guild Wars lore and how their entire race may not even be from Tyria or the Mists at all, and could possibly just be aliens from another world entirely you could just be blown away by that. The implications of that, paired with the fact that the serpents that created Tyria eventually just "left" (but didn't go to the Mists) expands the game world near infinitely, now that you've cleverly and subtly introduced aliens into your fantasy RPG.

Dammit Guild Wars 2's lore and story could be so drat good if they just focused on the cool poo poo they came up with instead of trying to make new poo poo that isn't interesting.

Broko was by far the best character in GW1, but Kormir was definitely the best villain because by the end of Nightfall you just hate her so much. Also I don't see how anyone could like the realm of torment zones or the stone forest. They were just gray and boring, and could've been much more interesting for the central ideas they had going on. Jade Sea and the city were cool, though. Factions had some of the prettiest zones.

As much as I loved Factions, Shiro really was dumb. His plan made no sense at all ("I can literally just straight up kill anyone I want at the drop of a hat while you cannot do anything to harm me. I will turn myself mortal again because reasons. This is somehow a good idea.") The Lich was also pretty bad, in that he was little more than just being Snidely Whiplash levels of mustache-twirling evil.

I want to see the destroyers become more prominent. They're cool designs and I like anything even vaguely reminiscent of Lavos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What the gently caress is a MMOSR?

malhavok posted:

You can fly through content with this rotation: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Pro Tip: works for any class.

Why keep pressing 1 when you can turn that poo poo on auto? My dungeon rotation is play mace/shield guardian and move around to keep hitting things while I drink some coffee.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh come the gently caress on, anet. What is that even supposed to look like? It's just a bunch of skin in random places. Even the Arah armor looks better than that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man I wish anet could remember when they made armor for female characters that looked like this:
or this or this or this .

You know, armor with cohesive themes, that actually looks like something, and has more varied profiles instead of coat/robe/skirt.

Tivac, tell your art department to hire the GW1 people.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 29, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will suck any amount of dicks for those Dreamthistle weapons.

I can't just buy them right? I have to buy keys for useless chests in the hopes of getting a ticket?

You must find your inner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kocJFpzv87c&t=12s

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Delacroix posted:

That doesn't excuse why GW1 has vastly more hair options that actually looked nice. Or a large selection of armor that wasn't made in the spirit of korean mmos.

Hey now, Korean MMOs at least put some effort into their fanservicey female "armor". GW2's is just... I don't even know how to describe it. It's like they gave a blindfolded 4 year old a pair of scissors.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 30, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

^^^^ You have bad opinions.

Heavy Lobster posted:

There are still legitimately baffling choices like this (the elite version of which makes somewhat more sense in terms of color scheme and shaping but is still A Literal Nightgown) here and there, but I understand a little bit better where GW1 vets are coming from.

You had best not be talking poo poo about the Mighty Nighty. Also both versions of it are still about a billion times classier than half the light armor in GW2.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aryoc posted:

What is it with stacking? It seems like the most unfun way to fight when the game has a dodge mechanic right there. I guess I'm missing something crucial as I haven't actually done many dungeons at all.

It requires zero effort, when done well is completely safe, and shortens fights by removing the need to move around which would in most cases mean lost damage.

Stacking is really dumb and in most cases probably caused by bugs that should be fixed. It's not clever use of game mechanics that the spider queen just straight up doesn't use her poison aoe if you stack in the corner of the stairs. It's something that shouldn't be happening.

That being said, I'd rather have stacking be a thing than anet's other boss ideas that involve the boss being invincible for 90% of the fight or outright ignoring most player defenses and dazing constantly (AC troll), all on top of having way too much health.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It will be a nerf in such a way that it ends up being a buff.

Either that or they'll nerf conjures because warriors can use them.

On a side note, anyone have any ideas on good replacements for the terrible chest and legs on the recent female gem shop heavy armor skin? I like the other parts of it, but the chest and legs are terrible. The best fit I've found is the banded armor skin on rares since it at least doesn't clip through the boots, but it's another skirt so it covers up half the boots anyway. Why couldn't you just have ported the male version directly, anet? :cmon:

vvvv Chest works, but it doesn't really fit with any other legs, and the legs clip badly if I remember right. Also they're more of a functional look that contrasts the more ornamental look of the gem shop stuff. Thematic consistency is important for being a pretty princess.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 31, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad they're finally acknowledging that having to dump 20+ points in arcane for playing an ele to feel tolerable is dumb. Though honestly, with the cooldown going from 13 to 10 depending on arcane points they should really just set it to 10 like everyone else gets on weapon swaps (except warriors and engineers) and come up with a new special stat for the eles' last line to get. It feels like they put it there just because it had to have some stat and they didn't have a better idea.

Now if only their other trees had anything interesting or worked with a heavy attunement swapping based play style.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 1, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Well, this is something.

http://gw2efficiency.com/

Is this how low we've come?

It was inevitable, really. Happens with every MMO.

On a side note, what the hell is the logic behind making new and interesting runes and sigils (including one of the what, 3 sources of torment in the game?) have outrageous material requirements like presumably time-limited things? Do they not want people to experiment at all? I am already aware that the answer is in fact no, they do not want people to experiment, but come on anet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

daspope posted:

Haha, I think

says all that really needs to be said.

Well at least they're honest about it. Now let's hope they actually do something about all those 100% worthless traits. Looking at you, banners deal damage when summoned.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 2, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad to see that they're working on mesmer scepter, since that thing is a jumbled mess. The confusion beam is the only thing that is really worth saving on it as far as I'm concerned.

The guardian stuff worries me, though. There is no build and cannot be a build for kindled zeal because condition damage is completely useless on guardians. He seems to recognize that the reason for this is because they have a single condition that doesn't stack in intensity and gets overwritten constantly, but trying to solve that by runes or sigils is really stupid unless they're actually planning to revamp a shitload of runes and sigils, which I highly doubt. Even if they did, it still wouldn't work because if they were going to be good enough to be real sources of those conditions it would push the classes with already good condition builds over the top, not to mention that the ones that currently exist use materials that are no longer available and it would be more gear burden. It seems like they're trying to pussyfoot around a needed revamp of the whole condition system.

Also the symbol of swiftness change is dumb. If your symbol is giving swiftness, it's probably a safe bet that you don't want to stand in the spot where that symbol is for very long, and if allies are standing in it they probably don't care about the swiftness. Sure it doesn't match how the other symbols work, but it shouldn't have to if that leads to poorer function.

I just wish it hadn't taken them so long to start working on traits. PS Anet, if you can't think of good ways to get 12 interesting traits in trees, maybe just remove the ones nobody is ever going to take in the first place.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 3, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you kidding, the shield skills are insanely useful if you're not an idiot. Protection is an amazing boon when you use the #4 properly on your party members (don't use it for the damage), and when #5 is timed properly it can absorb extremely powerful ranged attacks. Not to mention the pushback can be pretty useful, lets you move mobs around where positioning can be an issue. The cooldowns should be reduced quite a bit, but that's it.

Focus #5 is useful obviously, but #4 is incredibly weak and pointless. It's a horrible weapon, not to mention disgustingly ugly and vastly inferior in looks to the shield.

I like shields too (more classes need them, anet!), but in all honesty guardian shield could use a bit of a redesign for at least its #4, and #5 needs to not be broken into two parts for no reason at all. Protection is really powerful, but it's also powerful in a stupid and boring way, such that I honestly wish they'd just get rid of it. The damage portion of it is also incredibly boring. A big aoe wave for mediocre damage, but most of the time you're going to be pointing it not at enemies anyway.

You underrate guardian focus, too. Its #4 certainly doesn't compare to the GW1 skill of the same name, but it's a great solo skill and good for stacking vulnerability with the vulnerability on blind trait. Focus needs shorter cooldowns too, though. And there are like two focii that look cool! The bloodstone because it's so small you can pretend it isn't there and the corrupted one because it gives you a dragon hand.

And people need to stop hating on the butt rock. Sure it's bad, but it's butt rock. It has to be.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's how you spot the bad guardians, because they think that a condition/burning build is actually good (it's not).

Hey man, sometimes I just want to breathe blue fire for 5 seconds for less damage than most autoattack chains and shoot out a big fireball that only hits one target on a 30 second cooldown. I do this while using a scepter for the optimal suboptimal combination.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 5, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Since the content is no longer two weeks long now but sticks around until players beat it enough times, I assume the tower has already been destroyed by now?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

This discussion makes me glad that when it comes to balancing anet would rather precision tune warriors to be excellent at everything before addressing the mountain of nigh-unusable weapons and skills and traits across so many professions.

Hey man, warriors still have a couple utilities and traits and an elite that nobody wants to use. They have to get one class at a time in good shape, then they can use that as a model for the others and oh look, buffing this other class affected warriors in some way so we have to go back to step 1 and work on warriors some more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Godna posted:

So I left quite a while ago, and I'm kind of curious...are Elementalists still kind of shat upon every update, or have they made them better for how much harder you have to play?

I made the mistake of leveling an Ele to 80 at launch in three days...

Eles are still terribly designed with tons of useless filler and awful traits, but if you're content to sit in fire attunement with a specific set of traits and just spam lava font they have the highest damage in the game or something. So clearly they're fine now.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raziel 0128 posted:

I wish the lack of Dredge and Harpy in the trailer means they're gone forever god they're awful at 48 (they'll still be in and it'll be some silly reason like "We couldn't include them in the trailer for reasons"). Hell, the chance of me getting dredge third now is 100% if a 'hard'(bullshit) fractal like dredge is now weighted third it's going to suck. Colossus is mostly fine I like that one.

I'd at the very least accept a rework to the dreadful duo: remove excess trash, reduce boss hp, eye-searing skybox when jumping over tiny transparent platforms, why do I need to spend ages fighting 3 champions at once etc. The design of the harpy end boss is terrible as well, a tiny asura hiding inside 4 giant golems spitting agony balls constantly.

I have two level 49s so the reset is unnecessary but at least levels are now account-wide. There was no mention of fractal weapons using an exchange or ticket system either. It's been a year I still have everything but the fractal daggers. A year of fractals. :argh:

Don't worry, if dredge fractal is disappearing then it is at least being replaced by the equally dreadful aetherblade one, because apparently anet thinks overloading bosses with invincibility mechanics is fun.

Gating new runes and sigils behind high level fractals is annoying, but at least they're not tied to temporary content this time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

They don't but they also don't have a tab under craft items. In one of the upcoming updates they will have a slot under the craft deposit tab so Deposit all will finally grab them.

Speaking of heart only armor this is a pretty good list of armor skins and how to get them: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Projects/Armor_skins

The Warhound/Warden Armor is one of the best medium armor I've seen yet and the ONLY good medium armor helm: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warhound_armor

Medium armor helms would be so much better if they took the back off of all the hats and let hair show up again. I wonder whether bringing back hat hair is even on their radar any more.

Also that gallery has this concept art for the stately light armor set:

Look at that hat. Why can't I get that hat, anet?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, did they take T3 human light armor, make it even worse, and put it in the gem store for 800 gems?

And you will see it literally everywhere, because it is cheaper (I think?) than buying the actual T3 human light, can be worn by non-humans, doesn't require also buying trans stones, and PARTICLE EFFECTS. Oh well, maybe the particle effects at least look neat in game :frogbon:?

Kinda surprised the female medium isn't T3 human again, actually. Plus this kind of shoots in the foot their whole thing about cultural armor being a reason to pick a given race (which would be a good thing, because cultural armor restrictions are dumb). Still waiting on more GW1 legacy skins, but I guess that hope should be gone now, since they're already at the point of recycling stuff currently in the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

On the other hand, if the next time we kill her she shoots off into the sky with a "Looks like Team Scarlet's blasting off agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain" then all might be forgiven. Maybe.

And I think the problem with Scarlet isn't that she's ruining some amazingly rich GW lore or anything, but that she's just not interesting in the slightest. GW's story has always been stupid and campy, and they've been at least somewhat aware enough in the past to just run with it, but Scarlet is just nothing. It's like they can't figure out whether they want us to take her seriously or not.

A single frame of that should have the text replace with "Die die die, die die. Die die die."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a stupid terminology thing, they are absolutely expansions. New lands, new classes, new content, etc.

It's not entirely stupid, since expansion usually implies that you need another base game first, which was not the case for Factions and Nightfall.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So if the heavy is a palette swapped level ~20 karma armor skin and the medium is some wvw skin that nobody cares about, I wonder what the light will be? It will be a palette swapped version of the currently pvp-exclusive witch doctor set and gandlethorpe will kill himself for the fourth time or something.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

That staff is probably part of the next round of BL ticket skins.

I'd bet good money the bikini/speedo is. And it will be soul bound.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dromer posted:

You know what else would promote build diversity? More weapon options. What ever happened to that?

That's more work than making a bunch of heals that will be used either by nobody or by everybody (except warriors because healing signet). Actually gently caress it, just give everybody healing signet, anet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erdricks posted:

I wish I understood the design perspective of thief venoms, because the huge cooldowns and weak effects just make no sense to me.

You can't understand the design perspective of venoms because there isn't one. I am 100% certain that the only thought that went into them was "Well, people expect rogues to have poisons because WoW rogues did, so let's do that." And then they had to make 4 of them because that's how they designed utilities, so they just put all the non-damage conditions on them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Delacroix posted:

They could cover enough ground for four expansions and never touch elona or cantha.

You know, looking at that, none of the things the players deal with feel like actual threats, even including the dragons or Joko.

Except of course Scarlet, naturally.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hampig posted:

That's OK, tell me more about that A.net! Make it a fractal, and hey you could even have Mursaat who cast Agony and you need to be infused.

At the end of the fractal you will find a young salad girl with orange hair who swears revenge on the entire world for killing her space alien parents.

vvvv They also trained Scarlet.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 10, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if the removal of basically all existing town clothes means they're going to add new ones (and hopefully make them useful for something) or are just saying gently caress it. And now I have to decide whether to gamble on them being made useful and grab the ones I like before they disappear or assume they're just making a lazy cash grab.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dulfy has the new face options up, and they look pretty bori-

:stare:

But seriously, the new asura ones look smug as gently caress, the new human ones look pretty much identical to every other human one except for a female face that has almost imperceptible scars, norn women get nothing interesting, and norn men get a cool bear clawed face (why couldn't female norn get that one too, anet?) The charr ones are supposedly new, but honestly who can even tell? One of the female ones seems to be giving a permanent stink eye I guess?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Exmond posted:

Err why do we have to pay to increase how much an item can stack? Why couldn't they make it a universal change?

So you're asking why they didn't do a thing people want for free when they could instead make a profit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Just one more Caudecus path.

gently caress if I know which though, I just did path 2 with some pubs, they where a great group but what a god awful dungeon, gently caress.

All I recall from path I did was a shitload of bandits in an underground area and the final boss was a centaur, I think we where looking for servants.

Every path of CM, including story mode, is a monument to terrible dungeon design. Not even the dredge fractal is as bad, because it actually has some neat ideas but just takes way too long. CM is designed to outright ignore every tool players are supposed to have to deal with situations, forces you into tight spaces with a terrible camera and a bunch of aoes, requires more precision than the game is capable of giving you most of the time, and there are several enemies and a boss that spend nearly 50% of fights completely invincible. There is not a single interesting boss, enemy, or event in the entire place outside of the rocket cave, which is marred by lag issues. The fact that the pathing and wall detection is so bad that you can bypass entire sections and fall through a solid ceiling, completely trivialize a boss by just jumping in the water, or kill a different boss uncontested by swinging through a solid wall, does not make that place any more tolerable and just enhances how terribly designed it is. I hope every designer who worked on that hellhole is forced to skip their lunch break every day to do a full run of that place in the way that you might robe a dog's nose in it when it pees on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Erdricks posted:

Try as you might, you can't out baller the original baller mesmer.

What sword is that in the left hand? I can't recall ever having seen it.

• Locked thread