Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You have to stop thinking of it as vocals and start thinking of it as another instrument.

T1g4h posted:

The Sword is 100% my poo poo.

Agreed. Although here in the UK (sort of) I never seem to meet other fans. I've introduced them to plenty people but I've only ever met one other person who knew about them independently; At an Electric Wizard gig, dude was shuffling past me in the crowd, looked down at my Warp Riders shirt, looked up and we just nodded approvingly at each other* and carried on moving.

*those who have been to an EW gig will appreciate that this is about the most conversation you can realistically hope to have without going outside.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ReelBigLizard posted:

You have to stop thinking of it as vocals and start thinking of it as another instrument.

yeah but instruments are meant to be in tune

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of. What is the point of all these bands that sound like Cookie Monster? Why is that still a thing?

I was 17 once, full of angst and depressed some girl didn't like me. Life didn't get any better, I just learned to cope and deal with it to a very limited extent (I'm still a gently caress up, always have been, but never got help until well past it and too late, massive crash and no future now I've lost everything)
poo poo, on one hand I hate the stupid derails people take this thread in, on the other hand, welp 14" invites it. So #torn #enabled

I cruised along internalizing everything. On the outside, all good $70k income, 50k usually in the bank because I've always lived frugally. But the crash came at 39 y/o. 14" you're 31 and have hope, unlike me now at 41y/o trying to piece things together. And you know what, I maybe wouldn't be hosed up as I am even now if I had a dad like yours. I hardly saw mine unless he was belting me, and he's a dumbfuck that bought minivans and and no clue about anything. I had to do his taxes, plumbing, car repairs, cooking etc; he was only good for painting and digging.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 12, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiVMrWMHko

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah guys let's get off the stupid derails. Enough car poo poo, let's get back on metal chat

Or just view this one particular thread in one particular subforum instead of as a project on a single car, more of a lifestyle magazine. A Playboy or Maxim for the serial masochist working man in the automotive industry, with regular in depth features on related interests :v: and you always have the option of, you know, not reading it if it bothers you that much.

BUGCHAT: Fuel missing and entering crank case is leaving more towards a fuel pump as the packed grease is no longer there, and when dad pulled it it air dried clean. I told him to check it a while back and he insisted it was fuel line pressurization from (something) forcing the floats open while it sits. He was talking converting to electric and doing that and I'm like just throw another one on they're like 20 bucks and bolt in jesus

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK posted:

BUGCHAT: Fuel missing and entering crank case is leaving more towards a fuel pump as the packed grease is no longer there, and when dad pulled it it air dried clean. I told him to check it a while back and he insisted it was fuel line pressurization from (something) forcing the floats open while it sits. He was talking converting to electric and doing that and I'm like just throw another one on they're like 20 bucks and bolt in jesus

Plus, nobody likes the racket from a cheap electric fuel pump.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

14 INCH DICK posted:

Yeah guys let's get off the stupid derails. Enough car poo poo, let's get back on metal chat

Do you even read your own thread? :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

Guys we should all just hold hands and listen to Korpiklaani

Ok,I suggest tuli kokko

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of. What is the point of all these bands that sound like Cookie Monster? Why is that still a thing?

I want to say it's because people who listen to metal and people who make metal (and all the associated subgenres before you start :v: ) are all manchildren who are resistant to change. Thus nothing evolves.

Note this is only a tongue in cheek observation before anyone flips out and goes apeshit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

I threw out two bands that were recognizable and said among darker bands because not many would recognize The Swans, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Excessive Force, etc. Can we move past that?

Coil is extremely my poo poo.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

14 INCH DICK posted:

Or just view this one particular thread in one particular subforum instead of as a project on a single car, more of a lifestyle magazine. A Playboy or Maxim for the serial masochist working man in the automotive industry, with regular in depth features on related interests :v: and you always have the option of, you know, not reading it if it bothers you that much.

TBH, I've never seen it as anything else but this. Did you never wonder why your threads are one of, if not THE most popular on AI forum?
Regarding reading or not reading about minutiae of your trainwreck life... what we're saying is "Although you sate our morbid curiosity, we still love you enough to not want you to drown in the piss at the bottom of the well you find yourself in". Stay safe, inch dick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mostly I listen to furniture music and tuvan throat singing but sometimes I like to delve into stochasticism and every once in a while, I mix things up with a little delta blues (don't judge me).

There's also this:

LOL if you aren't even familiar with wall noise, just LOL

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Tom Waits is pretty good though?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I prefer this graphic:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Metal is pretty cool but not really my thing, I can definitely appreciate the technicality though. Metal drummers are goddamn machines.

I had a friend years ago who was in a couple of metal bands and I always loved going to the shows. I can't get into it just sitting down and listening to it but I won't pass up a chance to have my face shredded off live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WzFTdXZmE

Personally I generally listen to music aimed at 15 year old girls. :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Previa_fun posted:

Granted, it's because you keep insisting it's only their mindset you're trying to get into, and of course their cute little shoes you were so eager to walk a mile in obviously were a metaphor about understanding the struggles today's youth face growing up in the modern world, and while not illegal to be sitting there on that particular park bench, I just can't shake the feeling that you're doing so with bad intent.

Found the only pictures of the bug that still exist from my ownership period. Bought from my high school art teacher in 2003 as punishment for taking my dad's '70 Cougar Eliminator with an Edelbrock-laden 351C-4V a week old from the paint shop and stripe kit and crush the rear quarter panel and passenger door across a light pole in a Fry's parking lot. Grey bug was a '63 being sold for $400 running my dad didn't want to spot me more money for to purchase 2 cars, let alone 2 bugs right off the bat without even fully understanding how to change oil in the first one. Screaming deal though, originally an Anthracite get with original red with white piping interior upholstery and door panels in good shape. Jesus. Even in 2004 when these shots were taken that was a good deal. Today it's insane.

Which I sold back to my dad to purchase Grumble bee

Who paved the way for Double D Amy...

Which brings us up to the very beginning of my career at SA. So as you can see, the stories I have about this bug. This bug that was the pebble in the waters of my life. The bug that I drove round trip overnight from San Jose to Los Angeles and back to pick up a hot goth girl with bright blue hair who wanted me to take her to see Marilyn Manson the following night in San Francisco but decided she didn't feel like getting a bus ticket and instead flashed her tits at me quite literally and promised me she'd make it worth my while. So I jumped in the car and drove, with the oil pressure light flickering, oil smoke clouding out of the engine lid every gas stop I made, just so I could pick up the person who wound up popping my cherry in the dark at the concert. She was 5'9", rail thin, and a cutter with clinical borderline personality disorder who knew just what buttons to push to make this guy dance to her every whim.

Several months later was when I received the phone call from her starting off wth "so my husband found out about us, but I told him you got me drunk and loaded on pills so he's not mad at me but he wants to talk to you." Considering at that time I still didn't know what beer loving tasted like (I was absolutely too terrified to get drunk until my first party where I was tricked into pounding an entire drinking glass of 151 straight, with a bacardi ice chaser because my cousin figured it would be funny to see what would happen. That following morning was when I woke up in Sacramento, my car keys were in Oakland, and the blue bug was somehow in my loving driveway in San Jose), he found my version of events slightly more believable. When he left her, it cut her loose to begin what eventually became a nearly 3 year long 400 mile away long distance emotional indoctrination that saw 2 further trips back and forth between LA and SJ, three seperate involvements with police, crack being cooked not by me in my mom and dad's bathroom and my mom finding out, me giving her the choice of staying with me or drugs and her choosing drugs and me tearfully casting her away, to the two weeks later when I got the call saying she had been thinking about what she gave up by making the choice she had made and wanted to try to fix it. And I said no, because that was finally going to show to myself that I was finally done with people taking advantage of my kindness and betraying my trust and leading me on. And I hung up. And got a phone call a week later from the ex husband saying he didn't know why he was even giving me this courtesy aside from somehow he kept my number from her stuff. And that SFPD called him and told me the guy she left my house with murdered her.

That's what this bug is. It's legacy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
gently caress

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

14 INCH DICK posted:

Granted, it's because you keep insisting it's only their mindset you're trying to get into, and of course their cute little shoes you were so eager to walk a mile in obviously were a metaphor about understanding the struggles today's youth face growing up in the modern world, and while not illegal to be sitting there on that particular park bench, I just can't shake the feeling that you're doing so with bad intent.

Found the only pictures of the bug that still exist from my ownership period. Bought from my high school art teacher in 2003 as punishment for taking my dad's '70 Cougar Eliminator with an Edelbrock-laden 351C-4V a week old from the paint shop and stripe kit and crush the rear quarter panel and passenger door across a light pole in a Fry's parking lot. Grey bug was a '63 being sold for $400 running my dad didn't want to spot me more money for to purchase 2 cars, let alone 2 bugs right off the bat without even fully understanding how to change oil in the first one. Screaming deal though, originally an Anthracite get with original red with white piping interior upholstery and door panels in good shape. Jesus. Even in 2004 when these shots were taken that was a good deal. Today it's insane.

Which I sold back to my dad to purchase Grumble bee

Who paved the way for Double D Amy...

Which brings us up to the very beginning of my career at SA. So as you can see, the stories I have about this bug. This bug that was the pebble in the waters of my life. The bug that I drove round trip overnight from San Jose to Los Angeles and back to pick up a hot goth girl with bright blue hair who wanted me to take her to see Marilyn Manson the following night in San Francisco but decided she didn't feel like getting a bus ticket and instead flashed her tits at me quite literally and promised me she'd make it worth my while. So I jumped in the car and drove, with the oil pressure light flickering, oil smoke clouding out of the engine lid every gas stop I made, just so I could pick up the person who wound up popping my cherry in the dark at the concert. She was 5'9", rail thin, and a cutter with clinical borderline personality disorder who knew just what buttons to push to make this guy dance to her every whim.

Several months later was when I received the phone call from her starting off wth "so my husband found out about us, but I told him you got me drunk and loaded on pills so he's not mad at me but he wants to talk to you." Considering at that time I still didn't know what beer loving tasted like (I was absolutely too terrified to get drunk until my first party where I was tricked into pounding an entire drinking glass of 151 straight, with a bacardi ice chaser because my cousin figured it would be funny to see what would happen. That following morning was when I woke up in Sacramento, my car keys were in Oakland, and the blue bug was somehow in my loving driveway in San Jose), he found my version of events slightly more believable. When he left her, it cut her loose to begin what eventually became a nearly 3 year long 400 mile away long distance emotional indoctrination that saw 2 further trips back and forth between LA and SJ, three seperate involvements with police, crack being cooked not by me in my mom and dad's bathroom and my mom finding out, me giving her the choice of staying with me or drugs and her choosing drugs and me tearfully casting her away, to the two weeks later when I got the call saying she had been thinking about what she gave up by making the choice she had made and wanted to try to fix it. And I said no, because that was finally going to show to myself that I was finally done with people taking advantage of my kindness and betraying my trust and leading me on. And I hung up. And got a phone call a week later from the ex husband saying he didn't know why he was even giving me this courtesy aside from somehow he kept my number from her stuff. And that SFPD called him and told me the guy she left my house with murdered her.

That's what this bug is. It's legacy.

Burn it. This is not legacy, it is a curse.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

CharlesM posted:

gently caress
For me it was a cutter goth girl called francis, and she lived 40km away, and I had my rx3. The year was 1993.
I was told by my housemates to "get rid of her", because she was flipping out at our house and wanting to call an ambulance because she couldn't handle what we were taking. That was a lonely drive back to hers and a promise of "see ya" that never happened again.
I still have my rx3, though it's a stripped shell these days.
One day...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 13, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sofullofhate posted:

Burn it. This is not legacy, it is a curse.

I almost left off the last detail just so y'all could laugh and enjoy the good times and chaos with me but I didn't feel it would be fair to have that be the big reveal in a half page. But the good times outweigh the bad. And it's also only the second most uncomfortable place to gently caress a girl, empirical evidence and rigorous data collection don't lie :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The most uncomfortable place is in her nose.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

The most uncomfortable place is in her nose.

Back seat of a first gen Civic :cmon:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Making me sad now because my 13 y/o niece has turned into a cutter goth girl now and her future looks bleak :(
Can't even hack it in a normal school and it's harder for younger people now with social media and pressures so constant in life.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

Making me sad now because my 13 y/o niece has turned into a cutter goth girl now and her future looks bleak :(
Can't even hack it in a normal school and it's harder for younger people now with social media and pressures so constant in life.

Find out why and do whatever it takes. If it's severe then something incredibly traumatic happened and theyre not going to want to tell you. But fight for them. Do what my family did and do whatever it takes to build their foundation for their future. To change the subject from self harm, I'm going to move back to stories and anecdotes about the car that made me who I am.

I once rolled up to the premier of Downfall: Der Untergang in that bug and totally accidentally and cluelessly lucked into front row park while blasting Rammstein, where I got out wearing my BDU jacket, engineer boots, and metal t shirt and a bleached blond mohawk. Then walking to the back wondering why people looked why they wanted to spit on me.

The red bug involved the house party where I woke up in the middle of the living room floor with half my name staple gunned into my rear end

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 13, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

Metal is pretty cool but not really my thing, I can definitely appreciate the technicality though. Metal drummers are goddamn machines.

I had a friend years ago who was in a couple of metal bands and I always loved going to the shows. I can't get into it just sitting down and listening to it but I won't pass up a chance to have my face shredded off live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84WzFTdXZmE

Well the guys from One Direction are kinda cute... and of legal age. :gay:

If I'm at a metal show (gently caress, any show), I HAVE TO BE IN THE loving PIT. gently caress sitting down for anything resembling rock, metal, punk, etc; I'm in the pit, I'm hurting people, I'm getting hurt, and we're all gonna hug, gently caress, knock each other down, help each other back up (only to knock each other back down again), and have a loving good time. A lot of us will leave with black eyes and broken noses, a lot of us will be wondering where our glasses went, a lot of us will be wondering what to name our collection of bruises. Unless the venue is so crowded that the "pit" encompasses the entire place, including the bars, entrances, etc (like when I saw Static-X - nobody could really move).

14 INCH DICK posted:

And got a phone call a week later from the ex husband saying he didn't know why he was even giving me this courtesy aside from somehow he kept my number from her stuff. And that SFPD called him and told me the guy she left my house with murdered her.

...... like Charles said.... gently caress. I can't even think of any other words to describe how I'd feel after that call.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

...... like Charles said.... gently caress. I can't even think of any other words to describe how I'd feel after that call.

*tighten focus, slow zoom out, screen fades to black*

*fade in closing slide medium font white lettering*

AND FROM THAT MOMENT ON, FOURTEEN INCH VOWED TO NEVER WALK AWAY FROM A BAD IDEA EVER AGAIN.

~FIN

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

14 INCH DICK posted:

AND FROM THAT MOMENT ON, FOURTEEN INCH VOWED TO NEVER WALK AWAY FROM A BAD IDEA EVER AGAIN.

~FIN

Yeah I can see that.

I'm going to say this and it's going to be an unpopular opinion but, you do what you need to for yourself. So long as it doesn't harm others you are doing just fine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't think cars harbor spirits of bad or good luck, but are simply pieces of metal bolted to other pieces of metal. It is not good to personify a car and let it affect your emotions. Otherwise I would have totaled and burned every car I own by now.

The only thing about cars that can affect your emotions when you're not driving or working on them is the interactions in-between re: the car in question. Those interactions are what you control.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, we firmly established that plastic skulls harbor ghosts and spirits. And I mean after that it has had many years of family ownership relatively trouble free (at a fairly decent cost :v: ), and I've always looked forward to getting to drive it every time I fly home. It's a good car. That's actually one of the few cars I've ever had that never really truly let me down, despite the whole run to LA and back being done with less oil pressure than a pigeon with the runs, and also a couple trips to Sacramento in the summer at 109*F air Temps during the day for Bugorama and my cousin. It is a Good Car.

After the girl above, there was the whole getting hired on by BFRC, finishing up my college career to become a mechanic, getting shoe horned doing tires only for 4.5 years because rich gently caress wads broke the country, not having a raise in over 3 years, discovering my fiancee was sleeping with a half dozen of my friends, Lowered Expectations, falling for a girl who clearly was into me but was dating my friend so I backed off till it turned out that dude too was yet another one of the people who had hosed my fiancee, blew up at work, got commited, then the froot truck, demanded a raise, got told why would we pay you more than 10 bucks an hour in Silicon Valley when we could fire you right now and rehire someone at 8, lost it entirely, hooked up with a girl so insane even I went into it knowing there was a time limit involved and to get in get out and try not to die, moved to seattle, had the girl I'd been best friends with finally move in, sacrificed my sout for love, piss and moan, woe is me, post a lot, year goes by, get the bug...

This has to be the worst loving game of if you give a mouse a cookie anyone could ever do to someone swear to god. Cause now the cycle resets. Unless you view it as the collapsing of a closed system, of course.

E: and that, dear friends, is why when overlaying that bare bones barely touching the surface list with the huge list of societal grievances from the other page, and grind that all up into powder and mix it with whatever flavor of get up and go you prefer and just rail it all down and follow it with a quick shot of bipolar disorder chaser, I have found my one little spot of the Internet where I just post whatever is on my mind.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 13, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I think maybe you should stop blaming everyone else for your situation also again maybe consider a career change of being a mechanic isn't working for you

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

14 INCH DICK posted:

This has to be the worst loving game of if you give a mouse a cookie anyone could ever do to someone swear to god. Cause now the cycle resets. Unless you view it as the collapsing of a closed system, of course.

That said, if it gives you closure, that might be nice. But I know you don't do nice, so I hope that it brings you new vigor in launching a new iteration of the mad cycle.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I think maybe you should stop blaming everyone else for your situation also again maybe consider a career change of being a mechanic isn't working for you

Perhaps you are projecting as i dont think i blamed anyone, and even specifically mentioned that I had the best possible loving and supporting family that you could ever want and through these events i have been through have molded and affected the way i process information and react with the world.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 13, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
getting shoe horned doing tires only for 4.5 years because rich gently caress wads broke the country, n

You have multiple times blamed society in this manner for your lovely state of employment, I'm not talking about your mental state but why would anyone sit around doing nothing but tyres for 4.5 years. Good mechanics are always in demand. Hell, in my first year of employment without any formal education I was doing timing belts and head gaskets and all sorts of poo poo. Why would you put up working at a place that offers no path of advancement?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
sure except for the fact that they did, like, do that exact thing, and aside from p much taking pot shots at me since you discovered ai misc chat was your new favorite threadm why do you care?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

working at places like that is loving resume poison for trying to get a better job in the same field

they assume (correctly, statistically speaking) that you're a fuckwit who doesn't know a torque wrench from his pecker and never even give you the time of day. the longer you're there the worse the effect is.

E: one of my coworkers at sears tried to sell a car on craigslist, "mechanic owned and maintained". she came to look at the car and everything was fine until she found out where he was a mechanic at; she turned white as a sheet, turned tail and speed away in her car.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i actually almost typed up a huge long breakdown of the bay area available labor pool for shops and the issues with even getting an interview at all after all those dealerships tanked at the same time right around the exact time i realised BFRC was just giving me the run around and wasting my time, snd suddenly hundreds of 10-20 year experience flst rate honed bad asses all got dumped on the street and were fighting for jobs at fractions of their old pay, but i figured hes just trying to get me to pay attention to him by acting like hes so loving retarded he needs to have me spoon feed him answers.

i mean he even admitted hes a lovely troll, but my response here is more for the people reading now who actually enjoy reading ai who dont work in the industry.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it's almost like the labor market in england is somehow different than your experiences in california. shocking

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Im not trolling im genuinely curious. Nobody else seems to be asking you these questions and the image you paint of yourself begs them to be asked.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Also I'm sorry you had to read my post history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Also I'm sorry you had to read my post history

kinda skeptical tbqh