Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Please tell me you removed the impeller from the water pump before taking that picture, because otherwise the problem seems extremely obvious.

(If not: hosed up the flange surface while trying to remove a gasket?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The water pump I pulled out looked rather new :eng99:

e: the full size link works for me but the L added to it is showing up as a broken link, if anyone cant see the pic in this post look at the top bolt hole on the last page.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 23, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

13 INCH DICK posted:

The water pump I pulled out looked rather new :eng99:

e: the full size link works for me but the L added to it is showing up as a broken link, if anyone cant see the pic in this post look at the top bolt hole on the last page.

You remove the l for the big version.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

13 INCH DICK posted:

And I found out why my water pump was leaking :argh:

What's wrong with this picture? I'm learning :shobon:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

What's wrong with this picture? I'm learning :shobon:

Stripped out bolt hole on the top, which leaves almost half of the pump un-clamped, so water just comes out as it pleases.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

EightBit posted:

Stripped out bolt hole on the top, which leaves almost half of the pump un-clamped, so water just comes out as it pleases.

Thanks!

How do you fix something like that? Tap it for the next size up bolt?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Astonishing Wang posted:

Thanks!

And pray that you don't break the ear off.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

You remove the l for the big version.

Well yes I understand that, and it shows but gargantuan. The picture at the top of this page should show me helicoiling it, but I'll correct it when I'm home.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Thanks!

You could helicoil it but just tapping it for the next size up is probably easier in this case.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Thanks!

That won't really work, as the pump flange won't have a hole big enough for a larger bolt.

You drill it larger and install a threaded insert like a helicoil or a timsert. You get one threaded for what the bolt is supposed to be (threaded on the inside) and it's.....some larger size on the outside.

The kits come with the proper drill bit and tap for the larger size, so you drill it out (carefully, it needs to be centered and perpendicular) and then screw the insert in with some thread locker (there is a tool to help you thread it in). And, bam....you got new threads of the proper size.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Weld the pump onto the block :unsmigghh:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

Weld the pump onto the block :unsmigghh:

JB Weld the pump to the block :getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy poo poo, it runs better with the timing belt tensioner actually attached and functional.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Bookmarked, dis gon be gud :japan:

You up to try this after the mechanicals are all there? http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/42776-23-year-old-swirls-top-swirls-88-red-honda-civic-pix-vids.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, the original color was tan and then resprayed red and then the maroon over the red, god only knows what it would look like if I tried to rub it out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

13 INCH DICK posted:

god only knows what it would look like if I tried to rub it out.

Probably a lot more red. You'd lose an extra inch or so, too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

With some white streaks mixed in.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, usually I got red streaks in my white not the other way around.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Try sounding with something softer.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just threw the little poo poo box into a turn so hard it pogod and oversteered through the corner and I was only doing like 30 :hellyeah:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 24, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Just threw the little poo poo box into a turn so hard it pogod and oversteered through the corner and I was only doing like 30 :hellyeah:

Autocross this bitch.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Rally cross this bitch. :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

13 INCH DICK posted:

How many clowns were with you?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I take it the car drives better now that it, y'know, has valve timing?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Everytime I drive past your work OP, I wonder: "what crazy project is he working on now. . ."

Thanks for the cool thread.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
This may seem a little early to be asking this but what kind of economy are you seeing with this badass motherfucker? I'm curious how efficient a 1.2L that you have to rev the piss out of to get anywhere is :dance:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have absolutely no idea how I managed to drive it almost a hundred miles total like that gonna be honest.

e: RE mileage I need to pull the gauge cluster and find out if I can get the odometer working again before I know.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Is it safe to assume the shocks and tires have recieved the same benign PO neglect as the engine?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I'd fear that tapping new threads on this glorious bastard would only break it further. I'd just go grab some thread stock, nuts and lock washers from the hardware store and call it a day.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The struts are still fairly firm, but the strut mounts are rotting out. I guess it doesn't really matter because those are NLA SOL. as far as the thread repair I got it helicoiled beautifully and it tightened down perfectly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The inner tie rod end I've been waiting for apparently is NLA with our parts distributors, Rock Auto has it for cheap but for some reason our parts supplier has a line on an entire remanufactured rack for about $50 more than the tie rod on its own would have been so I'm just going to throw a whole new rack into it. Ordered, a couple days out.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

13 INCH DICK posted:

The inner tie rod end I've been waiting for apparently is NLA with our parts distributors, Rock Auto has it for cheap but for some reason our parts supplier has a line on an entire remanufactured rack for about $50 more than the tie rod on its own would have been so I'm just going to throw a whole new rack into it. Ordered, a couple days out.

Are you sure the rack comes with the inner tie rods? That seems almost too cheap for that to be the case.....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well if it doesn't I'll just send it back. I've run into screwy deals like that on old cars before so I'll just wait for it to show up.

Also, starter just died.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Do yourself a favor and keep the old rack when it comes out, you know drat sure that the new one will fail for no reason in a few months if you don't.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tracked down the no start to the starter cable to the battery. It melted. New one and the car works fine.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 24, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Hondas of that vintage usually have a kick start backup anyway.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pulled plugs to check em out and was suprised to not find any fouling even though they looked old. Nice caramel brown electrodesr on all 4, but they were Iridium Plus plugs. Swapped them for some NGK coppers and the stumbling on accelleration is so much better. Still some flat spots in the powerband, but it feels much more like fuel delivery now. I also found I have some minor vaccuum leaks and a possible intake manifold gasket leak with the brake cleaner test. Plus side, theres a mere fraction of vaccuum lines on this compared to my last Civic. And the 2bbl Mikuni rebuild kit is like 8 bucks on rockauto, can even get floats. I've continued flogging it a little harder, testing its limits and find that if I just stay on power through turns it does the cutest little sideways hop to point me in the right direction.

So fierce :3:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
This is why I run NGK coppers in all of my vehicles. They just work so much better than anything else.

That thing is goddamn adorable. Godspeed, Sir Dick. May your new friend inflict no more than a tiny fraction of the pain and anguish (and spiders) your previous project vehicles dealt out.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This could actually turn out to be reasonable old car maintenance stuff instead of the usual nightmare. I feel hopeful that it might not be a terribly wild ride.

That said, an ACVW tried pretty hard to kill you so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I tend to stop and look if I see a Honda this old, I've always wondered what they're actually like (besides adorable. :3: )

• Locked thread