Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I sold a perfect, amazingly fun to drive, fully functional 2002 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor to fund this financial trainwreck. It's a 1975 Honda Civic with the 1.2L non-CVCC inline 4.

I made the rookie mistake of literally throwing a pile of money at them before even so much as test driving it because I for one enjoy the sublime feeling of carefully placing one's scrotum in a door jam and then flinging it shut as hard as I can manage. I repeat this process over and over until finally the sweet darkness takes me and I can no longer feel anything at all. My terrible mutilated genitalia stand testament to this process, repeated over and over again through the years and yet somehow, I still find my way home.

She's a little rough around the edges, but that's okay because I'm in familiar territory now. I know what to expect. The Crown Vic was plain, reliable, a work horse. It was the Frau Bleucher in my stable, the one you know you can count on. But it's not what I need. Deep down inside, I know that I need someone to spit on me, make me bleed and cry, and to treat me like the emotional tampon I know I truly am.

Mechanically, it's terrifying. The engine purred when I fired it up so I just bought it and off I went. To find out that there's something seriously wrong with the brakes, it's only braking with one wheel right now, and only all the way down at the very bottom. I'm pretty sure that it's the right front that brakes, because if you push down hard and bottom the pedal out the right front locks, it veers, and I crap my pants. It also misfires under load, it feels like spark or fuel related. Oh, also when I let off the gas and coast there is a horrific metallic growling from the rear end. It smells of mildew and rat piss, there's moss growing in the carpet, and the odometer doesnt work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I had an '80 hatchback I got for free from Quadpus that dropped a valve on the freeway, and I had an '82 hatchback automatic that I bought for $300, did some minor elbow grease, and sold for $900. Those are both 2nd gens though, and quite a bit larger than the Mk 1. It's only 59 inches wide :3:

I drove this one home 46 miles from Puyallup white knuckled in honest terror the entire way. I made it roughly halfway give or take with my chase car, stopped in Seatac for gas only to find that I couldn't find my phone. Turns out I left it at the previous owners house. It was at this point my chase car went home, so I drove the Civic back in the dark with only a vague idea of where I was heading, got my phone, found it had died, and then proceeed to make the trip back to Ballard flying solo without a lifeline. Good times.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When I was driving it back, I was brainstorming the 'Event Horizon' post I did in misc chat and I went HOLD ON BABY BEAR out loud to no one in particular an suddenly lost all electrical and lights and a terrible noise happened from under the hood and the BRAKE FAILURE warning light lit up and it started bucking real bad, and I asked the car if it preferred to be called Justin and it all smoothed back out and the headlights came back on. Not even kidding.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Look guys it will be different this time

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I INVESTED $1300 into this fine survivor, which will surely give me many years of enjoyment and reliability. Plus, it's so tiny :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, um. Hm.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Baby Bear noooooooo

Rear chamber is empty and all 4 wheels and lines look dry :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
VTEC swap requires fabricating motor mounts and exhaust but it would be hilarious with my 12 Inch rims and 6 inch drums .

Water pump is pissing, right inner tie rod about to part company, right front rotor is visibly warped (gently caress y'all that say they don't warp this poo poo's like a 16th of an inch runout)

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like it's coming from the trunk. I'll let you know when I get the hatch to open.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Timing belt, water pump, tie rod, and calipers ordered and an route. Surprised at initial parts availability.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Timing belt and water pump come out to $116 shop supplies, coolant, parts, and labor so not too bad. Tie rod is apparently the most expensive part for some reason, maybe it's hard to find/unique.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:getin:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rectal Placenta posted:

I was really expecting a Biturbo after seeing the thread title.

In all seriousness I would have bought it if they got back to me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The catteman has never seen this clown car before and yet somehow came running down the street meowing when I pulled up tonight. How the hell did he do that?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've had 3 seperate people flag me down to talk about the Civic today just poodling around doing errands. It's a hit :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's stock and if I were to guess it was to protect the turn signals there. Or they just felt like it, I don't know.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
6'2", 6'3" in my boots :haw:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

GIS seems to disagree, as do photos on Wikipedia. So does my memory of a few cars owned by friends over the years.

I can't say I've ever seen that bar before, though it could have been a dealer option. Definitely not factory as far as I can find, but it's ugly enough that I assume it was installed by a dealer.

Huh, most of the pictures I'd seen of early Civics had the bullbar and of course now they're all coming up with plain bumpers. I have no idea, but I've seen them before.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

still got ribs still good right?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My tensioner wasn't actually hooked up to anything :psyduck:

And I found out why my water pump was leaking :argh:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The water pump I pulled out looked rather new :eng99:

e: the full size link works for me but the L added to it is showing up as a broken link, if anyone cant see the pic in this post look at the top bolt hole on the last page.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 23, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

You remove the l for the big version.

Well yes I understand that, and it shows but gargantuan. The picture at the top of this page should show me helicoiling it, but I'll correct it when I'm home.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy poo poo, it runs better with the timing belt tensioner actually attached and functional.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, the original color was tan and then resprayed red and then the maroon over the red, god only knows what it would look like if I tried to rub it out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, usually I got red streaks in my white not the other way around.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just threw the little poo poo box into a turn so hard it pogod and oversteered through the corner and I was only doing like 30 :hellyeah:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 24, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have absolutely no idea how I managed to drive it almost a hundred miles total like that gonna be honest.

e: RE mileage I need to pull the gauge cluster and find out if I can get the odometer working again before I know.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The struts are still fairly firm, but the strut mounts are rotting out. I guess it doesn't really matter because those are NLA SOL. as far as the thread repair I got it helicoiled beautifully and it tightened down perfectly.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The inner tie rod end I've been waiting for apparently is NLA with our parts distributors, Rock Auto has it for cheap but for some reason our parts supplier has a line on an entire remanufactured rack for about $50 more than the tie rod on its own would have been so I'm just going to throw a whole new rack into it. Ordered, a couple days out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well if it doesn't I'll just send it back. I've run into screwy deals like that on old cars before so I'll just wait for it to show up.

Also, starter just died.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tracked down the no start to the starter cable to the battery. It melted. New one and the car works fine.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 24, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Pulled plugs to check em out and was suprised to not find any fouling even though they looked old. Nice caramel brown electrodesr on all 4, but they were Iridium Plus plugs. Swapped them for some NGK coppers and the stumbling on accelleration is so much better. Still some flat spots in the powerband, but it feels much more like fuel delivery now. I also found I have some minor vaccuum leaks and a possible intake manifold gasket leak with the brake cleaner test. Plus side, theres a mere fraction of vaccuum lines on this compared to my last Civic. And the 2bbl Mikuni rebuild kit is like 8 bucks on rockauto, can even get floats. I've continued flogging it a little harder, testing its limits and find that if I just stay on power through turns it does the cutest little sideways hop to point me in the right direction.

So fierce :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hypnolobster posted:

This could actually turn out to be reasonable old car maintenance stuff instead of the usual nightmare. I feel hopeful that it might not be a terribly wild ride.

That said, an ACVW tried pretty hard to kill you so who knows.

The 6 months I owned that car before I tried to sell it the first time were fantastic. I got bored and wanted something new, listed it, andliterally the day after I listed it it caught on fire. then the widows moved in. Then it got REALLY interesting.

IT KNEW

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

I tend to stop and look if I see a Honda this old, I've always wondered what they're actually like (besides adorable. :3: )

Phones being a dick trying to add this into my other post so apologies for the double post. It's like driving a roller skate. Wouldn't say go cart, but its got this scrappy puppy dog eagerness to rev and row gears that just plain puts a smile on my face. I'll need a clutch, it grinds all 4 gears just a hair with it wound all the way to max adjustment so once I fix that and the on throttle sputtering/flat spots it's going to be a hilarious amount of sub 40mph fun. Driving in thd wet on 12s though can be terrifying because the tendency is to just lock up and slide. Get used to threshhold breaking.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Drove to work this morning and saw the cutest little engine heat spot and look at the hood vents actually venting heat :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, only the finest 155R12 :buddy:

Actually the lug pattern is weird. It's like 4x120, larger than the later Civics. Hankook makes some studdable snows in my size though, and I saw a set of 12" CVCC alloys on craigslist... Clutch parts labor including new flywheel looks to be about $200 so I'm just gonna order them up and knock it out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay now its my car.

Got my Civic owners manual from Ebay today too, tried to take a picture but someone saw I was trying to do something so had to take a look. Decided to use the photo anyways.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Today I decided to just replace all the vaccuum lines.

Swollen line.

Hm.

work in progress.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hooked up a vacuum gauge after all was said and done because it actually felt like it had even more pronounced flat spots in the powerband and more obvious stumbling, and vacuum was a rock solid 21" at idle. Rev it up to 3kish by ear and vacuum drops to 20 but holds solid without flutters even when it stumbles. Wrap the throttle and vacuum spikes towards zero and bounces right back to 21" at idle. Carb rebuild is definitely in order I think, it looked like the main jet was leaking a tiny amount of fuel when it was off and the air cleaner was off. I need to get the manual for this thing because there's an open hose on the bottom of the air cleaner and I can't find where it goes but it lets unfiltered air directly in behind the filter.

• Locked thread