Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Pfft, if you haven't had to use a wet gutter as an inspection pit then you've lived a sheltered life. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

mafoose posted:

I've never seen bearings as part of a drum! I know both wear out but wtf?

VW wedge the bearing races in there on any drum equipped car I've seen and I'm struggling to imagine where else you'd put them.

OF course those were tapered rollers, is that ball bearing supposed to be in there?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I guess in a car that light your axial/bending forces are going to be low anyway but putting that sort of bearing there is still a weird choice, motorcycle history or no.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

veedubfreak posted:

The concept of going 90 in that tiny box scares me.

One of these:

Will do an indicated 105mph (which is funny when the thing is gear limited to ~96mph) downhill with a tailwind along the M45. It's exactly as pants-shittingly terrifying as you'd expect, somehow that air dam on the front didn't do jack squat to stop the car going light at those speeds. Colour me suprised.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

13 INCH DICK posted:

Tonight was lesson one in teaching the GF to drive stick. Things certainly get exciting in a hurry. I've never heard my Civic make those noises....

My one mistake was saying I was getting so wound up and anxious because my car was the one thing i have that's important to me :v:

The first driving lesson I gave my bf, he ended up shifting into 2nd without taking his foot off the throttle, pinging off the rev limiter and chirping the tyres as he let back off the clutch because that's how you do it in racing games. :shobon:

I'm glad I taught the emergency stop first.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think Biturbo's belong on a scale all of their own. It's just a circle with two diametrically opposed points, carburetted and EFI.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Presented without comment:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I want to think you're joking but suspect you're probably not. :gonk:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Nearly new when parked.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Blacknose posted:

Wait, you owned Hayes brakes that worked? That's a loving Christmas miracle.

Seriously, I've sworn off Hayes after the goddamn plastic lovely plug popped out of the front master cylinder of mine on a long descent. Still the only time I've deliberately ghost ridden my bike because I couldn't get the thing slowed down with just the rear and was headed towards some enormous trees. :gonk: I'm just glad my bike and I made it unscathed, I ripped that poo poo off the minute I got home.

Look at this bullshit:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 5, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Maybe it was a marketing thing.

"Dual piston fixed calipers! Performance!"

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
All that metal to move those two tiny little pads. :3:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I drove our ~5 year old company Jetta the other day and couldn't believe how bad the visibility was even vs. a car from 2001. On the plus side I could put the seat far back enough for my legs, but I was then sat in-line with the b-pillar and could see poo poo all out of the side. The jumbo pillars and high belt line make it feel like I was driving a pillbox around.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Smart car is...wider.

No way.

*E*

Civic: 1,505 mm
Fortwo: 1,510mm

:eyepop:

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 7, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The worst part is I'd happily watch an hour of 'Ed China fixes shitboxes' without the whole pretending to make a profit off of the whole thing business tacked on.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My car has a throttle cable to run a DBW sensor, what now?

No, I'm serious, what the gently caress now Peugeot? What is that poo poo? :wtc:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

dissss posted:

I believe it was Peugeot that shoehorned a 6 speed transmission into a chassis that wasn't designed for it by fitting a steering rack that had different amounts of lock left and right

The same chassis I think, I believe my dad's 306 GTi-6 had this exact 'feature'. Mine's a diesel, so it's not like there's even a throttle body to gently caress about with.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Well, your dick isn't the only thing you can use. :quagmire:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I am disappointed they're not parked in size order.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So what usually breaks first on a Biturbo? The mechanic's will to live?

Breaking first implies any of it worked when it was new.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Rectal Placenta posted:

Man, gauges that show the amount of TURBO! are the best.

Seriously this, I love the lack of units, it's just "some". Maybe it's an absolute pressure gauge and is actually reading correctly. :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Perhaps the numbers are some sort of countdown, like the doomsday clock but for Biturbo ownership rather than just global thermonuclear war.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Bank 2 too rich and too lean at the same time seems an impressive feat.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Guess who just found a civic 1200 carburetor in balls deep Snohomish

Were there no Goldwings in the local junk yards? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This made me think of you, my car's in the garage having the exhaust welded up and is now blocked into the bay. The mechanics are playing car park Tetris to get it back out.

(Another mechanic put the cars there in the first place.)

• Locked thread