Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

I could actually see MJK knitting on stage, he's that kind of dude.

When I saw Puscifer a couple years back, he spent half the show sitting on a couch in the middle of the stage, sipping wine.

Also, was the best concert I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot of concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

So here's the inside. It was a little less private than I assumed, but then I had never actually seen the inside so I was taking it as an improvement over curbside any day. It's got no lights inside or outlets, but there are a *ton* of oil stains on the floor already so Tinkering with my streamlight and magnetic base look like we're good to go. Also nothing *specifically* preventing me in my rental agreement, I checked :v:

My garage at least has a bare bulb and power outlet on the wall. Rental agreement just says we're not supposed to run anything except lights in the garages, but doesn't say I can't run an extension cord and a bunch of shop lights under my car, so win!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Oh, OK - Seattle = rain, not frozen wasteland. Seems like a fair number of the "idiot drivers on ice" videos were from Seattle, but I guess that was because it was so rare.

There's tons of people in the PNW that are terrible at driving in the rain/on snow/ice.

The one thing they have in common is that their prior residence was in California.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

88h88 posted:

Oh you're one of THOSE people who never removes the stickers from anything.

Stickers? That poo poo's silkscreened onto the front of my TV, if his is the same way, he'd need to take a belt sander to it to get those off.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I mean I'm not saying one shouldn't be cautious about widow spiders. I sure wouldn't want to get bitten by one. But being less afraid of drunk drivers than widow spiders is irrational.

Drunk drivers don't typically ambush you while you're laying in a lounge chair in your back yard, chilling.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

It was originally a tan car, then resprayed orange, then resprayed red, then resprayed maroon about a decade ago according to the Maaco receipt I found in the glovebox and the maroon is shot to say the least. Paint's beyond salvageable.

Yeah, that'd be a typical Maaco job :argh:. One of the POs of my AE86 had taken it in for a lovely Maaco or Earl Scheib paint job and covered the really nice factory two-tone blue metallic with an awful robins' egg blue paint that was so lovely that you could peel it off the plastic front lip/bumper cover just spraying it down with a garden hose. There wasn't even a reason I could find to have had it repainted - it never had any rust or body damage.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Looks like a Mazda of some kind should go on 13 inch's shopping list:

http://jalopnik.com/mazda-issues-recall-because-it-finds-more-spiders-in-fu-1558426777

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

But you'll also find a copy of How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, pre-flipped to the section for "Why Is This loving poo poo Always On Fire, A Whole-Body Experience."

Ok, this is killin' me.

13", condolences on being burgled, that poo poo sucks dude. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You need to add a $1000 tier: you get to send a box of spiders to 13". And he smokes them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

On small, light cars, you can learn to get the car moving fast enough by pushing it, run to the door, jump in and bump it without assistance. Comes with a distinct risk of unintended ghost riding, but it is possible.

I used to push start my old 1980 Datsun pickup by just sticking my leg out the door and pushing. It's easy as poo poo with light cars.

8ender posted:

Adapt a kickstarter from a 70's Goldwing and problem solved

Looking at the starter on the 1978 Goldwing sitting in my garage, I have a feeling it's much too big for this application.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

Eh, it was a mom with her young daughter, an honest accident, and no real damage done. She was freaking the gently caress out pretty bad so after I verified everything seemed to be still attached I told her to not worry about it and have a nice day since I'm not a dick

When the young woman ran the stop sign and totaled out my civic and her forester, her insurance kept calling me asking me to claim money for 'pain and suffering' for my injuries in the accident (I got a hairline fracture on my left ring finger knuckle). I never called him back because I don't care about extorting more money from her insurance - they paid for my visit to the urgent care and gave me a fair payout for my car, that's all I care about.

I wish more people weren't litigious greedy assholes that view an accident as a payday. :smith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

:spergin: You can't nuke anything from orbit, orbital nukes are prohibited by the Outer Space Treaty.

Fortunately kinetic weapons aren't prohibited and work just as well, with the added bonus of no lingering radiation or fallout.

edit: quoting relevant post from CA

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I can go see if I have a spare starter for my Goldwing. It's probably bigger than your starter, and it's Honda so it's like legos, right?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

My idea for classy was a burgundy like malaga red on 2002s. Or my dad said paint it bright orange, put a 1/2 on the door, the japanese naval war flag on the roof and make it a General Li.

E: his other idea was Starsky and Hatch

Quick correction: Japanese has no 'L' sound (it's a somewhat phonetically limited language), so you'd want to call it the Genneraa Ree to phonetically correct with the Japanese themeage. 'Li' would work for Chinese or Korean though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

Swap in a jaguar V12 somehow.

Too reliable.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viggen posted:

So anyhow I need a Viggen, a Sonett, and a '78 99 Turbo.

Apply inside. :getin:

Did somebody say Sonett?

goatse guy posted:

I only see Tinder users within ten miles of me. I'll go much further for a car than I will for other things. ;)

I got a lot of crappy dates when I restricted okcupid to only people near me. Then I set it to 'any distance' and met my wife (I live in Portland OR and she lived in upstate NY at the time). So who knows, maybe your ideal match is on the other end of the country. :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goatse guy posted:

I did the long distance thing several times. Every time I say, "Never again," and this time I actually mean it.

Maybe.

I hope.

I can't deal with that emotional mess again. :smith:

We just fixed it by her flying across country to live with me :unsmith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viggen posted:

Oh, what the hell- I'll take it.

You'll take it and you'll like it. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Buying angry avs is pretty passive-aggressive IMHO.

Some posters view them as a badge of honor for the recipient - it means they genuinely pissed off someone on the Internet enough for that person to drop :10bux: on an impotent statement.

I'd rather spend the money on a six pack of good beer and a bag of snacks. :munch:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goatse guy posted:

I still haven't gotten a red title, and with the amount of e/n bullshit I dump in AI, that's pretty surprising.

Your E/N posts are usually good reads and also you don't actually talk about cars much so nobody gets mad because you said something they didn't like about their car.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That compressor is one hell of a find. Good score!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

VW Beetle
Dimensions
Wheelbase 2,400 mm (94.5 in)
Length 4,079 mm (160.6 in)
Width 1,539 mm (60.6 in)
Curb weight 800–840 kg (1,760–1,850 lb)

1st Gen Civic
Dimensions
Wheelbase 2,200 mm (86.6 in)
Length
3,551 mm (139.8 in) (1973)
3,731 mm (146.9 in) (1974–1979)
4,064 mm (160 in) (wagon)
Width 1,505 mm (59.25 in) (saloon)
Height 1,327 mm (52.25 in) (saloon)
Curb weight 680 kg (1,500 lb)

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Try this:

Wheelbase 2,301–2,324 mm (90.6–91.5 in)
Length 3,680–3,745 mm (145–147 in)
3,850 mm (152 in) (Van)
Width 1,525–1,535 mm (60–60 in)
Height 1,370–1,395 mm (54–55 in)
Curb weight 695–750 kg (1,532–1,653 lb)

For a 78-84 Toyota Starlet. And it's front engine, RWD to boot, so much more space eaten up by drivetrain than either the Beetle or Civic.

Also, the fuel injected DOHC 115 HP Corolla GT-S/MR2 engine bolts in pretty easy. :getin: (stock Starlet power was 58 HP)

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
A 25A alternator? That's the same output as the stator on my 1978 Goldwing. That's so adorable :shobon:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Awesome to hear you are getting some decent hours finally. Glad that your situation has improved from the last shop. :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
http://youtu.be/4jazmdoxlpY

\m/

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Well its a good thing I dont plan on driving it then isnt it :colbert:

Well, at least he's got the right idea about Italian car ownership.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Stardotstar posted:

To extend this epic derail of a thread which is at best topically challenged....

Why do the poor have such bad voter turnout? Could it possibly by linked to the horrendous paid time policies of almost every non-salary job (i.e. no paid time off) and compounded by the fact that we ALWAYS have our elections on weekdays (SUPER TUESDAY), with polling places which close during or shortly after working hours for most people?

To remedy this obvious structural defect of our democracy/republic/plutocracy, we should be holding votes on weekends, like the Japanese, even if it would still leave a substantial portion of the service industry with a challenge to get to the polls. However, in America we're just super content to allow soul-crushing idiocy to persist at all levels of government because we can't be arsed to figure out campaign finance reform.

In the majority of states, employers legally have to give you time off (paid, in many states) to go to the polls no matter what their other time-off policies are. And that's not counting Washington and Oregon, which are entirely ballot-by-mail states where you don't need to go to a poll to vote.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
:woop: :siren: I'm your (Bi)Turbo Lover :siren: :woop:

It's happening omg omg omg. :dance:

Linked song has a lot in common with Biturbo ownership since they're both about guys getting hosed in the rear end

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

User Error posted:

e: that seems like more of a VW thing to do.

Funnily enough, I just found this list the BBC compiled of the crappiest cars in the UK and they list the worst car on it as the Beetle, well ahead of the 28th place BiTurbo:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/bbcworldwide/worldwidestories/pressreleases/2004/10_october/crap_cars.shtml

I'm going to be very disappointed if the Maserati somehow proves to be better than a VW Beetle...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Yes i'm sure that one of the most iconic, most sold, easiest to fix, and popular vehicles ever made must be worse than a Biturbo.

Well, to be fair to the BiTurbo, it does have a somewhat comfortable interior, a functional heater, and produces more power than a wet fart when it does run, so it's at least got that going for it.

E: also I could be wrong, but I do suspect fewer people were worked to death building BiTurbos via slave labour than were Beetles. :v:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 10, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Apparently edit does not, in fact, equal post.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Voltage posted:

gently caress why do I want this?! What has this forum done.

Simple, you hate yourself but also love Italian luxury and performance.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

8ender posted:

An automatic twin turbo carbureted Italian 80's luxury car. The perfect nail to hammer into ones genitals.

Nails? More like hammering the claw end of the the hammer into your genitals using an even bigger hammer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Okay, go type in 1975 Honda Civic _____________ on ebay and see how many results for HIDs and anodized lug nuts you have to scroll through before you find the part youre looking for.

It's not necessarily the end of the line, but for some things it absolutely is. My throttle cable, for one. Oreilly's told me to CALL HONDA to see if they stocked it. My oil filter through Orielly's was like $16 last time, rockauto is obviously cheaper. And just simple things. Switches, my strut mounts, rubber products, electrical odds and ends.....Plus the fact that my car is a '75 makes it difficult. It's got early EB2 parts on it which mean some certain items are '73-75 ONLY and just because the parts store says it works for '73-88 doesnt mean it actually does at all.

There are resources but for a vast majority of things it's just constantly trawling craigslist, 1stgencivic forum classifieds ads, thisoldhonda, etc. Not a whole lot of surviving early parts anymore.

Yuuuuuup. I go through the same thing trying to get parts for my 70's Goldwing. The best source for parts other than eBay is a site called straightwings.com that sells used take-offs, since most everything for them is NLA. I'm still trying to find someone selling the little rubber grommet-thingy that holds the flasher relay in place since my original rotted to bits, and I still haven't found one after the better part of a year. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

torpedan posted:

The best thing to do would be to measure the gasket contact surface that the filter spins on to as opposed to trying to find something similar to the current filter. If he gets lucky he might have more room than he thinks (or not.) MANN+HUMMEL has a crossreference site where you can plug in general dimensions and its spits out what they have.

There are ISO, SAE, BS, etc specs and what not that dictate standardized testing and I would expect that Fram would have conducted at least some rudimentary testing prior to producing a filter. For a low volume part the testing might be literally two or three different tests of a sample size of one, but generally something will happen. Smaller companies out of a place with no financial accountability, like China, do pull this stunt though. For a really old filter though, at this point they are likely only kept track of with a poor photocopy of a 37 year old print and a bill of materials, so take that as you will.

Along the same lines, I would really steer clear of buying any filters off of eBay. Its a pretty good place to unload counterfeit goods, and as much as I am not a fan of Fram, they are at least a known brand name that can be obtained from reputable vendors.

Heh, I found that exact link at work and was going to bring up the bypass valve but noooooooooooo I just had to wait till I got home. Usually links like that are a good place to start searching from, but they tend to include a lot of bad references.

Anyway, the bypass valve cracking pressure is super important to have correct. Going to a modestly lower pressure likely will not be too much of an issue, but buying a filter with a much higher cracking pressure or not having a bypass at all can put an engine in a world of hurt fairly quick on a cold day. Worst case scenario the filter's centertube collapses and cuts off flow to the engine, best case the engine's flow is tiny and nothing bad happens.

There's entirely a chance that the OEM filter for his engine has a dodgy bypass valve to begin with - my '78 Honda has a weak bypass design and no anti-drain back on it's original filter cartridges. :v:

I wonder if anyone makes an adaptor plate like this for his engine:
http://randakks.com/collections/filters/products/honda-gl1000-gl1100-gl1200-cbx-dohc-4-cx500-and-variants-engine-parts

(Considering his car already uses some other parts off of Goldwings of that era, would entirely be not surprised to find his car uses the same crap cartridge and canister design and that bolts right up).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Terminus Est posted:

Thin Mints, gently caress yeah.

My wife bought me a box of them yesterday, I had them sitting right here at my desk as I was reading through the latest posts ITT. :3:

leica posted:

Is it possible or get/fabricate an oil filter relocation kit and then just use whatever filter you want?

That's the same thing I was wondering a page or two ago. I was wondering how similar those are to 70's era Goldwing oil filters (hey, his car already has a Goldwing gas cap on it!), because they make adapters to allow you to use a common Ford oil filter size that's cheap everywhere.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It took me until I was thirty-six to find a not-crazy to stick my dick in. I'm now married to that not-crazy, but for a year or two I felt like I was at rock bottom and seriously contemplated suicide since it felt like nobody was ever going to care about me.

It doesn't feel like it'll get better, but it does. We're here for you 13". :unsmith:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Okay guys so listen. I got this in my Fortune Cookie.

My mechanic neighbor who's known I turn wrenches for four years just today put this piece of cardboard out on something that caught my eye.

How bad an idea we talking here.

Keeping in mind my first car was that car, except with a Chevy badge on it, I feel it is the best idea. :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Fucknag posted:

That is a chevy?

Comedy, high-effort option: MZR swap.

Doh, you're right; the front end made me think it was a Firebird, but it's just the late-late second gen Camaro nose. Mine was a '77 and a bit less angular. I zoomed into the pic trying to see what badge was on the hood before I posted, but no dice.

8ender posted:

No it must be German. BMW V8

I think you mean a BMW V12. A V8 would be too reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This one almost ran, a couple months ago:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4997275215.html

• Locked thread