Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«125 »
kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

The M1911 is a single-action, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge, which served as the standard-issue sidearm for the United States armed forces from 1911 to 1985. It's design is over 100 years old, and most modern models built today, still use it's original design.

'John Browning" posted:

• Cartridge: .45 ACP
  • Other commercial and military derivatives: Other versions offered include .22, .38 Super, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, .400 Corbon, .460 Rowland, .22 LR, .50 GI, .455 Webley, 9×23 mm Winchester, and others. The most popular alternative versions are 9mm Parabellum (9×19mm), .38 Super and 10mm Auto.
  • Barrel: 5 in (127 mm) Government, 4.25 in (108 mm) Commander, and the 3.5 in (89 mm) Officer's ACP. Some modern "carry" guns have significantly shorter barrels and frames, while others use standard frames and extended slides with 6 in (152 mm) barrels
  • Rate of twist: 16 in (406 mm) per turn, or 1:35.5 calibers (.45 ACP)
  • Operation: Recoil-operated, closed breech, single action, semi-automatic
  • Weight (unloaded): 2 lb 7 oz (1.1 kg) (government model)
  • Height: 5.25 in (133 mm)
  • Length: 8.25 in (210 mm)
  • Capacity: 7+1 rounds (7 in standard-capacity magazine +1 in firing chamber); 8+1 in aftermarket standard-size magazine; 10+1 in extended and high capacity magazines. Guns chambered in .38 Super and 9 mm have a 9+1 capacity. Some manufacturers, such as Armscor, Para Ordnance, Strayer Voigt Inc and STI International Inc, offer 1911-style pistols using double-stacked magazines with significantly larger capacities (typically 14 rounds). Colt makes their own 8 round magazines which they include with their Series 80 XSE models.
  • Safeties: A grip safety, sear disconnect, slide stop, a half cock position, and manual safety (located on the left rear of the frame) are on all standard M1911A1s. Several companies have developed a firing pin block. Colt's 80 series uses a trigger operated one and several other manufacturers (such as Smith & Wesson) use one operated by the grip safety.

John 'Mother loving' Browning:

"The time and place for a gun maker just got together on this corner. And I happened along."

Who the gently caress is that? This is the guy that made it possible for us to enjoy these classic firearms. The M1911 pistol originated in the late 1890s as the result of a search for a suitable self-loading (or semi-automatic) pistol to replace the variety of revolvers then in service. The next decade would see a similar pace, including the adoption of several more revolvers and an intensive search for a self-loading pistol that would culminate in official adoption of the M1911 after the turn of the decade. Saying anything bad about Browning, or his designs is punishable by death in 44 states.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

...but chances are you don’t really care who designed it, and how old it is; you want a 1911 because you saw it in a movie, or some guy on YouTube had a shiny one with cool Punisher grips.

Goon Groupthink ConsensusTM
(as of 11/28/2013, prices change every day; don't buy at MSRP)

Current online promotions.

Springfield Armory
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...=&zipcode=10004

Model: Mil-Spec:
MSRP: $775.00
Online: $630.00-$649.99
Sale: $589.99 + Shipping
Sale: $$660.75 + Shipping (Stainless Model)

Model: Range Officer
MSRP: $977.00
Online: $798.00-$849.99
SALE: $749.00

Model: Loaded
MSRP: $1003.00
Online: $902.00
SALE: $819.99 Shipped

Ruger
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...6700&r%20sr1911

Model: SR1911
MSRP: $829.00
Online: $649.00-$799.00
Sale: $641.88

Colt

Model: 1991A1
MSRP: $928.00
Online: $849.00-$889.00
SALE: $813.51 + Shipping

Sig Sauer
http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-...ols/1324986.uts

Model: 1911 Nitron
MSRP: $1,099.00
Online: $949.95
SALE: $760.00 (TacPac)

High-End/Custom Guns:

If you got a wad of cash and want something more than the basic production, off the shelf model, you can have someone build one just the way you want it. They even offer their own regular line of models, at custom gun prices. Big names include: Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk, and Wilson Combat. They also offer custom parts if you want to play gunsmith in your parents basement.

Or you could get one made by a goon, tonedef131 and Schroeder-Bauman.

Stainless line ranges from $2000-$2530 and the Aluminum from $1295-$1779. Here is some more information on the build process.

PM him for more information!

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 1, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

F.A.Q:

“Should I buy a RIA/CIT/PARA/$500 1911?”

This is a touchy subject around these parts. Some goons have them and swear by their build and value. Others would rather throw it into the ocean and instead be mauled and raped by a bear before having their mangled corpse photographed with it.

So, its up to you. People are concerned about the inconsistent quality control around the final product being shipped to customers. With that being said, if you end up buying one and love it, be happy. If not, you can expect RIA to repair whatever is wrong, or what you broke since their customer service is credited with being pretty good. Here's a list of the more popular models goon's own:

Rock Island Armory

Model: M1911-A1 FSP
MSRP: $529.69
Online: $500.00-$549.99
SALE: $329.00

Model: 1911|Tactical
MSRP: MSRP: $678.00
Online: $550.00-$650.00

Remington R1

hagie posted:

The general consensus is that Remington's QC has declined rapidly over the past several years on all products.

Some have had great success or minimal problems, others have touched nothing but lemons.

Model: Remington 1911 R1
MSRP: $729.00
Online: $500.00-$649.99
SALE: $579.00 + Shipping

Model: Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced
MSRP: $940.00
Online: $759.00-$890.00

I'm gonna buy one of those .22LR conversion kits for my 1911, which one should I buy?

Short answer is, none. If you can't have anything but the 1911 format, some manufactures make straight up .22 1911s. Here is a list of kits, if you still want one.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 29, 2013

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Resources, and other poo poo:

The 1911 Megathread! v1.0
Wikipedia - M1911
Wikipedia - John Browning
The Man Behind the Guns: John Moses Browning
Original Colt M1911 & M1911A1 Basic Field Manual (FM 23-35)
Community dedicated to 1911s

Yuns posted:

I would also suggest adding a link to bac1023's 1911 buyer's guide to the resources post.
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthre...1911-addicts...
bac1023 owns an incredible number of 1911s of all price ranges so his opinions are based on actual ownership of each.

So you want to buy a WW2 M1911A1? by beetle

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.

he knows...

Someone please put an effort post into explaining what to look for in older milsurp 1911s and mixmasters because it is an incredibly spergy topic that deserves a megapost.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

What was wrong with the old thread? It served us perfectly well for years. These new-fangled features like "an informative OP" are just catering to people who don't really appreciate the simplicity of the traditional model. I for one will not stand for this Series 80 posting.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The SR1911 is the king.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

kill your idols posted:

They do, but its not a standard model.

Model: 6703 SR-1911 NSF Pistol .45 ACP 5in 8rd Black DLC TALO
MSPR: $1305.00

Technically speaking, this is not a blued finish, but rather a layer of finish applied on top of the regular stainless finish of the SR1911.

I want to do this so bad to my SR1911.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

JetsGuy posted:

The SR1911 is the king.
Shamelessly repostin this

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Edit: Check out beetle's post on page 2 for a more in depth look at how to identify USGI 1911s

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...2#post420857225

I'm going to link to beetle's collected threads over on calguns, which you should be able to view without needing an account or archives for some of the threads he has posted here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...ad.php?t=769850

With special regard to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?p=8943175 answering the question above. I'll do a quick overview here as well in case those sources are lost some day.

Actual USGI production of M1911A1s stopped in 1945. The WWII era manufacturers were Remington Rand, Ithaca and Colt (most common) and much rarer, Union Switch & Signal and Singer (only ~500 known examples of the latter). All 5 can be identified by their name on the slide and, in the case of mixed parts guns, the inspector stamp and serial on the frame.

Shooter grade 1911s are those former USGI guns that have been hosed with by bubba at some point in time, typically including removal and replacement of the fairly hard to see fixed blade sights, stippling of the front or back strap, flared ejection ports and refinishes into non-parkerized finishes. Those are typical giveaways that a gun is not in the same condition it was when it left the service. The above is not 100% true of course, early National Match 1911s had different target sights installed and are collectible in their own right, and the very early production runs of some of the USGI makers during WWII were blued, as opposed to parkerized. However it was not a high gloss blue. Right now I'd expect shooter grade guns to go from anywhere from $500-700 or so depending on how badly mauled they are.

Next up are re-arsenaled mixmasters made by the military. These guns were taken down to parts and then reassembled at one of the various armories in the United States and can contain a mix of parts from any WWII or even WWI manufacturer. They will also often be heavily reparkerized with the old stamps showing telltale signs of being smoothed out or partially obliterated. One of the first stamps to start disappearing after a refinish is the crossed cannon ordnance department stamp on the right side of the frame behind the grips.

A real re-arsenaled M1911A1 should have a stamp on the right side above or near the trigger indicating which arsenal did the re-work although this is not always the case. They are almost all refinished but not 100% of the time. Sometimes guns that were in practically new condition at the end of the war, went to an arsenal and then left essentially unchanged.
My own personal M1911A1 is a refinished Ithaca that has been through the Springfield Armory as a re-arsenal. Check it out here: http://imgur.com/a/raAop

Another tell tale of a refinish somewhat visible in the above picture which was helpfully pointed out to me this weekend by beetle is this: notice how the half moon cut out behind the trigger on the frame has sort of a rounded, soft edge at the top? On an original finish gun this edge should retain some hardness and be a visible, well, edge. That's something that takes experience to identify properly, experience I still lack. It's a learning process for sure!

As you can see my gun's ordnance stamp is completely gone and the SA is so faint as to be unreadable except under the right lighting conditions. Best guess is that it went for a re-arsenal and then was refinished again after it left the service. Guns in this category typically range from $900 if you're fairly lucky up through about 1300-1500 dollars depending on how much you want a particular gun.

Once you reach $1500 or so though you should probably be looking at correct M1911A1s that are still in the condition they were when they left the service without going through a rearsenal. Joe Poyer's book The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols http://www.amazon.com/Model-1911A1-...words=Joe+Poyer is what was recommended to me as a beginner and has a wealth of information. Their also exists a bible of 1911 knowledge by Charles Clawson but it is out of print and phenomenally expensive. Still a must if you plan to get into the $2k+ realm of collecting I suspect.

In these books you'll find out how many rows of checkering is correct on a Type 2 Ithaca hammer, whether the number of grooves on a main spring housing is right for the year of production and what all those tiny microscopic proofmarks and so on mean. It can take awhile to visually verify an M1911A1 as being correct grade if you're new (like I am) and I'd be unable to do it without a book in hand either. Prices for correct guns can go to the moon and back again - rare makers, rare inspection stamps, rare early finishes - all these things can push value up through the ceiling. At this level though you're a bit beyond the level of knowledge contained in a megapost.

Anyway that is more or less what I learned in my 6 month search that culminated in buying the M1911A1 linked above. This post mainly deals with WWII 1911s which is what I was focused on. For WWI guns you'll have to expand the search to include Remington UMC (separate from Remington Rand as a company) and Springfield Armory at least alongside Colt as original manufacturers. Original M1911s have smaller even harder to see sights, a flat mainspring housing, longer triggers and typically walnut as opposed to plastic grips. Their finishes were also quite different and varied during the early years of manufacturing. It is not uncommon to see WWI era M1911 parts on a re-arsenaled M1911A1 so if you spot a gun with a Springfield Armory slide (the real Springfield Armory, not the modern commercial manufacturer) that may be why. Try and find that arsenal stamp to verify!

Edit: I'm by no means an expert on this subject since I only own one M1911A1 by the way. If you see something I need to correct let me know and if beetle actually feels like tackling the subject himself I would listen to him!

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 23, 2013

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

The SR1911 is the king.

I was the first person to get one in TFR *

*As far as I know anyway.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

I have this Ballester-Molina. I am going crazy trying to find the original worn grips to go along with the original hashed (patina) finish. When I find them I will take pictures.

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

Can't have a 1911 megathread without telling the story of how the M1911 came to be! (this copy-pasted from previous stuff I've written)

Smokeless Powder Changes the Game
To understand what a leap forward this was you need to look at the environment that enabled the development of a new type of pistol in a time where revolvers ruled the handgun world. Up until the mid-late 1800s black powder was the primary propellant used on the battlefield. The problem with black powder is that it produced huge amounts of dirty soot and smoke. After just a few shots an entire battlefield might be covered in smoke. Sniping was also problematic because the smoke would give a position away. This picture is a modern re-enactment, but you can get an idea of the amount of smoke generated from firing black powder.

From an operational point of view, black powder is poorly suited for mechanical devices. It doesn’t burn very cleanly, generating not only smoke but also leaving behind lots of sticky residue. After just a few shots the delicate mechanisms of early guns would quickly become fouled, forcing the soldier to clean their gun before firing again. In addition, the residue (when combined with humidity in the air) is corrosive, making it necessary to clean after every use or parts would quickly rust.

Even though black powder was invented in China in the 9th century and adopted for use by western civilizations in the 13th century, it took until the mid-1800s before a better formula was devised. After several intermediate steps, Paul Vielle invented a “smokeless” powder which he called “Poudre B” — short for Poudre Blanche, or “white powder” as a play on “black powder”. Vielle’s powder was revolutionary because it was three times more powerful than black powder and gave off relatively little smoke. Additionally, it was not corrosive.

Several inventors created variants of Vielle’s powder including Alfred Nobel and Hiram Maxim. They went by names such as Ballistite and Cordite. (Note they were not exactly the same as Vielle’s powder, but his powder opened the door to other formations).

So by the mid-late 1880s, the powder had advanced far enough that an “automatic” pistol could be made, at least in theory. Automatic, meaning that it could fire the bullet, extract the spent shell and load the next round. Previously all attempts at an automatic pistol ended in failure due to the fouling properties of black powder.

The .38 Service Revolver in the Moro Rebellion

Around the same time, the United States had to put down a rebellion in the Philippine Islands (which it had won from Spain in the Spanish-American war). At the time most of the troops were equipped with the Colt double action revolver chambered in .38 long colt. Feedback from the troops was immediate; the revolver lacked sufficient “stopping power” against the Moro Tribesmen. The troops reported that the tribesmen could be hit multiple times but continue to fight. Based on this experience the United States was convinced that it wanted an automatic pistol and it wanted it in .45 caliber.

The Trials of the Century
In 1906 the U.S. Army sent out notice that it would be conducting tests to find the next service pistol. A number of arms manufacturers responded, including Colt, DWM (Deustche Waffen Munitions), Webley, Grant-Hammond, and Savage. Of the original proposals only the Colt, DWM, and Savage designs were deemed mature enough for further testing.

The army put in an order for 200 pistols that incorporated some requested design changes. The army also made similar requests of Colt and DWM. Colt readily agreed and submitted a price of $25 per pistol. At this point Georg Luger felt that he was being set up by the Army who was destined to pick an American pistol, and declined the offer to make 200 pistols (a big part of this is probably because the costs involved to tool up and make .45 acp parts were significant and would not be recovered with “just” 200 pistols).

Remarkably, Savage also declined the offer for much of the same reason. It did not have the resources to produce 200 pistols without incurring a loss. However, some back room discussions must have taken place and the US government was willing to pay a whopping $65 per pistol — nearly 3X the price of the Colt. Savage saw this as an opportunity to have the government fund both the tooling necessary for the .45 pistol as well as tooling for a smaller version of the same pistol that they had planned for commercial release.

Field Testing
The Army took the 400 pistols (200 Colt and 200 Savage) and issued them to various troops for field testing. The feedback from the troops was not very positive for either gun. It is speculated that the average soldier was not yet ready to accept an “automatic” gun in place of a revolver. For the savage, chief complaints included high/excessive recoil, a grip safety that could trap dirt, difficulty in racking the slide, and difficult to use ergonomics.

Colt took his feedback and completely redesigned his entry into what would eventually become the 1911 that we all know. Savage lacked the resources to do a full redesign, so they were only able to incorporate a few small changes. In November of 1910, the Army again tested the two competitors by firing 1,000 rounds. The Army reported that neither design was fully ready, but that the Colt was “much more satisfactory.” The Army requested that each company take one last try at refining the design for a final test.

The Final Test

On March 15, 1911 the public was invited to view the “shoot off” between the Colt and Savage designs. Both Arthur Savage and John Moses Browning were in attendance. The first 1,000 rounds went fine for both pistols. However, the Savage’s heavy recoil took a toll on the internal parts. When the smoke had cleared, the Colt had fired 6,000 rounds without issue while the Savage had 31 malfunctions and 5 parts breakages.

The decision was clear and the Army picked the John Moses Browning design to be the military’s service pistol, designated as the Model of 1911, or M1911.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That last picture.

Goddamn that is such a beautiful gun.

That said, I want a SR1911 like you wouldn't believe. Perfect shooter 1911, and there's a beat to hell surplus WW2 one in my wife's family that everyone's pretty sure will wind its way over to me eventually.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Oh poo poo quoted in an OP?

I am a heathen with a Citadel 1911.

I previously owned a Springfield GI when they 1st came out. It shot nice but I hated the blade rear site. I was pretty new to the pistol game, and I didn't realize how tough they were to line up. I was also victim of "hammer bite" having large hands and meaty thumb webbing. I sold it not long after.

This year I got a sudden desire for a 1911. I narrowed my search to specific things: sub $600, beaver tail grip safety, commander style hammer, ambidextrous safety and at a bare minimum novak style rear sights.

I found that in a Citadel.

Now I am not 100% saying this is the pistol for you, as I have a low round count currently. Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I honestly have no feeling of issues. The only "problem" I have is a rare occasion of the slide not locking back on last round (maybe twice), and there are a few magazines that fundamentally do not seat (Kimber for example). I do not intend to make this a concealed carry piece. I wanted a fun range player, and maybe something to accompany me on a hunting trip, but not a day to day piece to put my life on the line. Your mileage may vary.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Should have named it "The 1911 Megathread A1" tbqh

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Thank you for making this thread.

It's all but inevitable that I'll have to pick up a SR1911 later this year.

Any known issues I should be aware of? How many mags does it ship with? Last, what are the go to mag recommendation?
It'll stay stock, so no concerns there.

Thanks!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Servicio en Espanol posted:

Should have named it "The 1911 Megathread A1" tbqh

cosign

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth

I've been toying with the idea of building a 1911.

I have a lot of experience with metal work, but no experience in gun smithing. I've read through a few guides, and I have a pretty good idea of what I am getting myself in to. With that being said I am trying to decide where to source my parts.

I initially thought about getting my slide and frame from Fusion firearms, but i've read more than a few negative reviews about them.

So i've been toying with the idea of getting either a Caspian slide and frame or a Les Baer slide and frame, and I would like to get some advice as to which route I should go for parts.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Things to watch out for when buying a milsurp 1911 - forgeries.

My main centerfire 1911 is a Rock Island Armory M1911A2, which is a doublestack - mine is GI-style with fixed (tiny horrible) sights, spur hammer, no beavertail or gimmicky trigger, parked.

Awww, look at that billboard.

I also have a Llama MiniMax Subcompact, which was their clone of the ParaOrdnance P.10.45 (aka "Warthog"). 3" barrel, chopped grip, doublestack. Slightly less horrible fixed sights, and beavertail with one of those drat skeltonised hammers. Also parked, or something similar. Oh, almost forgot, front slide serrations. Ick.

(Not mine, but a decent pic; this one has an aftermarket adjustable rear sight.)

I also have Frank N. Gun - a stainless Springfield Armory frame that someone made into a recegun (hideous "stippling", pinged slide rails to "tighten" them, and the feed ramp milled out for a ramped barrel. Plus bonus 2 sets of speedholes for the optic mount.) Why the hell did I buy that? To stick an Advantage Arms Standard .22 conversion slide on, of course! (Which comes with its own front serrations.) Add in a surplus GI trigger, a baggie of takeoff parts from a confiscated gun, and some takeoff RIA rosewood grips, and you have...

(Click for larger horribleness.)

The AdArms conversion runs fine for me - loves Federal Auto match - and with the ($60, IIRC) widebody mag (still 10 rounds), functions with my RIA as well.

Disclaimer: .22 conversion kits aren't particularly cheap - I think the lowest price was $200-ish from Ciener, and post-Locust Swarm of 2012/2013, I've no idea where the prices are. My conversion, with extra mags, cost more than the entire rest of the gun. (Albeit it was a *really* cheap frame, and all the parts fit well so I didn't have to buy new/extras. I Am A Unique Snowflake (or lucky as hell).)

When I get around to it, I've got a box of Norinco guts to throw into Frank to give it a more retro appearance. (Courtesy goon love the Pay It Forward thread.

Of course, there's other parts I want as well, for another build - the retro rear sight and the custom non-beaver grip safety ffnnnnggglll drooool...

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AceOverdose
Oct 22, 2013

Okay, so I am looking into getting a 1911.

I have handled many, but that doesn't really help the issue, there are tons of them out there and I would hate to miss one by rushing into my choice.

I know I am going for a 4 inch barrel and I want it to be reverse bi-tone, but I am fairly open from there because I am going to customize the crap out of it from there.

The key is, I want to spend as little money as possible to start, without purchasing garbage.

Two that I have thought of starting with are:

Kimber Crimson Carry II
Link:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/c...rimson-carry-ii

Sig Sauer Traditional Reverse Two-Tone
Link:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProd...e-two-tone.aspx

These both retail for a good bit more than what I want to spend, but they get the general idea of what I want out there.

The first things that will be done to the 1911 I chose will be to add a new grip (still undecided for certain which ones I will pick), a Wilson extended slide release, and a Wilson magazine.

So, any thoughts, ideas, complaints?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

To give some mini-reviews to the 1911s I've owned:

Springfield Armory Loaded

Black Stainless edition. Cost me about $800 or so new in 2007. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the trigger, it was heavy for a 1911 in the 5-7lbs range. I did not like the serrations on the trigger either and found they dug into my finger under recoil. In addition, the rear sight screw would back out under recoil. Overall a somewhat regretted purchase.

Colt Mk.IV Series 70

A 1979 manufactured Colt. I bought it mainly for the excellent quality bluing. It didn't hurt that someone had replaced the underwhelming blade sights with Tritium three dot night sights either. Found to be somewhat unreliable, even with Checkmate Hybrid feed lip mags which are usually recommended. I did have the odd experience of having the original mag, which had some spots of rust on it, actually blow out the floor plate while shooting once. Not sure exactly what happened there but the gun was otherwise fine and continued working for the rest of the trip. Loved the finish but ended up selling it to a friend.

Sig 1911 Target

Probably amongst the nicest pistols I've ever owned. Incredibly easy to shoot accurately and very tight out of the box, despite me being the second owner. All in all a gun I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone if you don't mind the stainless finish or the fairly aggressive front strap checkering. Both reasons I ended up selling it down the line as well but I do miss it.

Ithaca M1911A1

Finally, the only 1911 I have left. Fits perfectly into my mostly WWII themed collection and has proven fairly reliable even with knock off no brand mags. I do have a couple super cheap and terrible mags that have successfully choked every 1911 I've ever tried with them but otherwise this gun has been a pleasure to shoot and own. I will admit to getting hammer bite from time to time but thats mostly down to my fat hands and occasionally taking a too-high modern grip.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I would also suggest adding a link to bac1023's 1911 buyer's guide to the resources post.
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthre...1911-addicts...
bac1023 owns an incredible number of 1911s of all price ranges so his opinions are based on actual ownership of each.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

*me and my boyfriend when we first started dating*

him: so you were married twice before?

me: yes

him: any kids?

me: no they were both adults

Just added new grips to mine :-)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duccy posted:

My buddy has those same mexican drug lord grips on his. They are actually kinda cool.

AceOverdose
Oct 22, 2013

Duccy posted:

Who makes those grips? they are hot.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013

*me and my boyfriend when we first started dating*

him: so you were married twice before?

me: yes

him: any kids?

me: no they were both adults

AceOverdose posted:

Amazon

They were on sale a few days ago. Solid pewter, really nice.

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

AceOverdose posted:

yeah christmas is coming and I buy my brother a set of druglord grips for every christmas (last one was some awful pearl ones for his 92fs iirc)

e: thanks!

AceOverdose
Oct 22, 2013

right arm posted:

yeah christmas is coming and I buy my brother a set of druglord grips for every christmas (last one was some awful pearl ones for his 92fs iirc)

e: thanks!

Found them, never looked into pewter grips before, this gives me something to do at work tomorrow.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ps-prod163.aspx

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

AceOverdose posted:

Found them, never looked into pewter grips before, this gives me something to do at work tomorrow.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ps-prod163.aspx

doublethanks

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

postin' my 1911 (a colt 1991)

how it used to be:

colt4 by right_arm, on Flickr

only things I changed in this pic from when I purchased it was a lanyard loop MSH and the colt medallion grips

and how it is now:

colt8 by right_arm, on Flickr

basically I just decided to shoot the piss out of it and make it into a 1911a1 more or less. I bought: an A1 hammer & got it cerakoted to match the colt since it (the hammer) was originally parked, ditched the commercial teardrop safety and replaced it with a "correct" one from numrich, a short a1 style trigger, some different grips obviously, and I replaced the front and rear sights with an A1 rear and I made my own front sight from a EGW blank as no one to my knowledge makes wide tenon A1-style front sights

the insides are a bit different though cause I ditched my series 80 safety system and replaced it with one of those series 80 blanks. I also did a shitload of stoning to the sear and hammer since the A1 hooks were way longer than necessary, ended up with a nice ~4lb trigger pull

anyways it was a fun project that, for me at least, required zero fitting except for the flat lanyard loop MSH in the first picture, the hammer hooks on the A1 hammer, and the front sight of course

1911s own & colts have pretty rollmarks

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Old 1911s are awesome, but there's nothing wrong with going modern.

Wilson Combat

With Ken Hackathorn

Les Baer TRS:

Heirloom Precision Series 80 Colt CCO aluminum frame

beetle
Oct 12, 2012

Wie ein Chef!

ZenMastaT posted:

Another tell tale of a refinish somewhat visible in the above picture which was helpfully pointed out to me this weekend by beetle is this: notice how the half moon cut out behind the trigger on the frame has sort of a rounded, soft edge at the top? On an original finish gun this edge should retain some hardness and be a visible, well, edge. That's something that takes experience to identify properly, experience I still lack. It's a learning process for sure!

example of an original finish gun. notice the half moon cutout has a sharp edge to it.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Iv had a Sig P239 for almost ten years now and have loved it. Is their quality still the same? I have really been thinking about getting a 1911 and right now my eyes are going for Colt and Sig.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Do any Oregoons have any experience with Springer Precision in Bend? They're one of a couple places that offer DLC finishes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The 1911 is a versatile gun and a good gun to learn to gunsmith on, at least if you get a cheapo one like I did. Norinco 1911, 400 bucks new in Finland when I bought it. This is how it's changed through the years.

Original, plastic grips and GI style sights:

First alterations where putting on bigger but fixed sights and some cheapo wooden grips I got from ebay. Also cleaned up the serrations with a file:

Then I did some major changes, fitted a beavertail (did that myself, real proud I didn't gently caress it up), new trigger, bead blasted the gun. I had a smith install a bomar sight and fiber optic front. Beyond my skills and I lack a lathe anyway.

Same gun, polished the flats for the heck of it, kept it in the white for over a year:

Then I figured I'd have it electroless nickeled for that same in the white look. But the people I sent it to didn't know what electroless was and electroplated it, badly. They didn't beliee me when I described wha electroless nickel was and they had 30 years of experience in the business.

After much bullshit I got them to remove the nickel and it came back looking like this:

Then I got fed up and blued it in a pot using ingredients bought in the hardware store. Frame turned out lighter because the heating element gave out halfway through the process.

It's been like this ever since and I have no plans for further alterations besides fitting a match barrel when I have time and money left over, maybe in 20 years or so....

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

Quite an awesome journey this gun took, and I really love the way it turned out. I'd never believe that it started out as a Norinco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOverdose
Oct 22, 2013

Darth Freddy posted:

Iv had a Sig P239 for almost ten years now and have loved it. Is their quality still the same? I have really been thinking about getting a 1911 and right now my eyes are going for Colt and Sig.

If you enjoy the P239 your should try out the P938. It is really nice and comes in many flavors. The breakdown is simple too, stays basic 1911 until you get to the trigger.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProd...stols-p938.aspx

«125 »