Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«125 »
Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114070051298

what the dink are these made of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Polished agate?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Could be petrified wood. You can get patterns like that when it's cut and polished.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Looking at the CMP forums and somebody got this as a CMP 1911 (not my pics).

The couple posts on it on the CMP forum suggest a match pistol that got worn to the point they recycled it into parts for a service pistol, or some type of special operations modification per somebody who encountered similar on special forces people returning from Grenada or Panama. I love weird poo poo like that and it's one of the reasons I find buying sight unseen surplus so cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Iím clueless about 1911s. Outside of the dotted grip...strap what am I looking at?

Still looks pretty genuine and battle worn.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Looking at the CMP forums and somebody got this as a CMP 1911 (not my pics).

The couple posts on it on the CMP forum suggest a match pistol that got worn to the point they recycled it into parts for a service pistol, or some type of special operations modification per somebody who encountered similar on special forces people returning from Grenada or Panama. I love weird poo poo like that and it's one of the reasons I find buying sight unseen surplus so cool.

Haha yeah that looks like it spent part of its life hanging out with some high speed low drag guys.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

There was a really neat thread on gunboards where a former SOF dude from early Iraq War posted pics of various 1911s that had been thru his unit and a ton of them had random mods like that, some including extended beavertails and thumb safeties etc, including one tarted up US&S which would be my true .mil grail gun

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

There was a really neat thread on gunboards where a former SOF dude from early Iraq War posted pics of various 1911s that had been thru his unit and a ton of them had random mods like that, some including extended beavertails and thumb safeties etc, including one tarted up US&S which would be my true .mil grail gun

Happen to have a link to it?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Not anymore, I found it like a year+ ago when the CMP 1911 sales first started. I think it's in their giant thread about the subject.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The CMP is no longer selling 1911s, right? The website certainly suggests that.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It's a lottery system and applications are currently closed I believe. They may open again this year, who knows.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I didn't get chose for the lottery myself, but from what I have seen so far I am not exactly disappointed. I know some folks have gotten ones better than others but somehow I am wonderfully certain that if I had gotten one, I would have gotten the worst one.

Like with that wave of surplus MR-73s.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Quickshanks posted:

I didn't get chose for the lottery myself, but from what I have seen so far I am not exactly disappointed. I know some folks have gotten ones better than others but somehow I am wonderfully certain that if I had gotten one, I would have gotten the worst one.

Like with that wave of surplus MR-73s.

Sort of like how the ONG riot shotguns went, some people got beat to gently caress guns that looked like Pvt Dumbass dragged it on the ground during a 30 mile march and some people got pristine guns that looked like they never left the armory rac

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

I've rented a couple of 1911s (e.g., Colt commander) or 1911 style guns (e.g., STI Staccato) and they've been to shoot, but it is difficult to reach the mag release and slide release without breaking my grip or using my off hand. Is it that the grips are too thick and replacing them with thinner grips would fix this issue or is this just the way 1911s are?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I have a cousin who doesn't shoot 1911s for pretty much that reason.

On my wife's 1911, which has your standard grip panels on the full-size frame, I can just barely hit the slide release while maintaining my grip, but I can do it. (The mag release isn't an issue for me.) I would think that the issue might be more about the overall size of the frame to which the panels are attached than with the replaceable panels being too thick, but you might be talking about a pistol with big-rear end custom grips, so maybe replacing those might work in your case.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

The slide lock being just out of a reach is pretty common issue. The magazine release issue can be alleviated a bit by using slimmer grips or grips with a thump cutout like Magpuls. There are various extended slide locks that you can get. Of the ones I've handled I really liked the Norwegian style but good luck finding one. If you do find one the grips will need some modification for it to fit correctly.

BrianM87 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 25, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

So the wife has gotten the first tickles of what I call THE ITCH.

She found a revolver she likes; it's a Taurus that shoots 9 mm as well as 38 special and 357 awesome. But, our local Farm & Home just did some remodeling, and while walking through the shooting department, she saw the Springfield 911. They had models in 9 mm and 380. And, she liked the look and feel.

I should mention before I ask my question: she's started pausing TV shows and cartoons, commenting on when she sees that the gun is a 1911. (To be fair, I shout "Revolver!" at the appropriate moments, too.)

So my question is... what is up with the Springfield 911? Good things? Bad things? My wife is good with a 380 version, because she's starting to think that the LCPII is really hurty at the range, and the 911, while a little bigger, has way better sights.

At the store, a random dude who was hanging around saw what we were looking at, and he said that he's got a 911 in 9 mm, and it's one of his more accurate handguns.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Please don't buy a Taurus if you can avoid it and 911 is gonna be about as nippy as your LCP II.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Nippy she can deal with.

Somehow.

Seriously, I hate hate hate shooting her LCPII for two reasons: 1) my normal grip tends to disengage the magazine; and 2) the shape of the frame and grip, and the small size, combine to really make my hand sorry that I'm shooting her LCPII. And I shoot 357's out of a snubby (albeit a steel frame one). (Though, to be fair, I don't do that very often.)

But she wants a 1911 she can conceal easily, because she likes the look and function of them. She loves the triggers. I told her that I'd heard of something called the "Baby Rock," but nobody around here carries that, so she hasn't seen one in person. This was about as close as we've been able to find at a local store.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

Please don't buy a Taurus if you can avoid it and 911 is gonna be about as nippy as your LCP II.

Everything I've read about the 911s says they're hard shooters.

And everything Miso said.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

If you've got a range that does rentals try a Glock 42. They're not as small as some of the tiny 380s but they are not nearly as nippy. I actually enjoy shooting mine.

Of course you won't get a 1911 level trigger out of it but the trigger is quite serviceable.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

If you've got a range that does rentals try a Glock 42. They're not as small as some of the tiny 380s but they are not nearly as nippy. I actually enjoy shooting mine.

Of course you won't get a 1911 level trigger out of it but the trigger is quite serviceable.

Another good option in the .380 acp group is the M&P Shield EZ. Itís about the same size as the Glock 42; you can get it with or without thumb safety option models, and itís designed to be easier to rack the slide. It has a grip safety, so the trigger is one piece and easier to pull.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Poala Bear posted:

Another good option in the .380 acp group is the M&P Shield EZ. It’s about the same size as the Glock 42; you can get it with or without thumb safety option models, and it’s designed to be easier to rack the slide. It has a grip safety, so the trigger is one piece and easier to pull.

Does the ez rack slide come at the expense of sharper recoil?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Miso Beno posted:

Does the ez rack slide come at the expense of sharper recoil?
Little bit yeah, but still not nearly as bad as the LCP/Kel-Tecs. Mine's still very controllable though.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

tarlibone posted:

So my question is... what is up with the Springfield 911? Good things? Bad things? My wife is good with a 380 version, because she's starting to think that the LCPII is really hurty at the range, and the 911, while a little bigger, has way better sights.

At the store, a random dude who was hanging around saw what we were looking at, and he said that he's got a 911 in 9 mm, and it's one of his more accurate handguns.

I have a 911 in .380 and it feels fine to me, like shooting a tiny 1911. It's not made of plastic which helps slightly in the recoil department. You should be able to testfire one but I think they're a massive value for the price. The more expensive one that comes with the ambi safety, G10 grips and night sights is worth it.

Is a compact 1911 too big? Like a 4"? Springfield makes ROs in 4" sizes and stuff like the EMP in 3" in 9mm and they're pretty tame, of course 50% more weight than a G19.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

TECH SUPPROT!!!11~~

Does Colt still make 1991s, or "Government Model" or whatever they renamed them to?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I think they're making Mark IV Series 70s aka the Government Model rn yeah

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006

They're making what they call the 1911 Classic using the older Government Model roll mark.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

TECH SUPPROT!!!11~~

On that note, since I'm a total 1911 newbie, what are the best choices in the ~$1000 range? Looking for a standard 5" barrel, .45 acp, classical styling, but with some modern upgrades. I've been doing a little research, but I think a lot of the threads I was reading were from 5-10 years ago, and referencing models that may not be in production anymore. Some that caught my eye today were the Colt Classic and the Ruger SR1911 for ~$800, and the S&W E-series for ~$870. I like Colts as a brand, never owned a Ruger or S&W personally. Also saw a Dan Wesson A2 for $1200, which is more than I wanted to spend, but could maybe talk myself into it if they're really that much better (always heard good things about Dan Wessons). Also heard SIG and Springfields are decent, but I have a mixed opinion of Springfield. What do you folks think?

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Azuren posted:

On that note, since I'm a total 1911 newbie, what are the best choices in the ~$1000 range? Looking for a standard 5" barrel, .45 acp, classical styling, but with some modern upgrades. I've been doing a little research, but I think a lot of the threads I was reading were from 5-10 years ago, and referencing models that may not be in production anymore. Some that caught my eye today were the Colt Classic and the Ruger SR1911 for ~$800, and the S&W E-series for ~$870. I like Colts as a brand, never owned a Ruger or S&W personally. Also saw a Dan Wesson A2 for $1200, which is more than I wanted to spend, but could maybe talk myself into it if they're really that much better (always heard good things about Dan Wessons). Also heard SIG and Springfields are decent, but I have a mixed opinion of Springfield. What do you folks think?

I'm new to guns, but I recently bought a Sig 1911 Select. I've put about 500 rounds through it with no problems, and it feels great to shoot.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

TECH SUPPROT!!!11~~

This escalated rapidly Ordered a Dan Wesson A2 last night. Looks slick!

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

Azuren posted:

I don't think you could have gotten more gun for the money. I love Dan Wesson's, let us know how it shoots!

NeurosisHead
Jul 21, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Azuren posted:

Visiting this thread for the first time had that effect on me too. I was noodling around DW's website last night and I definitely have to get my hands on a DWX as soon as I can. That thing looks cool as gently caress.

CMS
Sep 20, 2011

GunBroker seems consistently to have some DW 1911s below MSRP, fwiw

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Can confirm the A2 is rad

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

Maybe if I shop around I'll find a deeply discounted Dan Wesson Wraith

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

So is the A2 just a A1 with a match barrel, good sights, and a bigger safety?

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So is the A2 just a A1 with a match barrel, good sights, and a bigger safety?

Sort of. It's got the more modern features like extended beaver tail and a lowered/flared ejection port as well. It's probably closer to say it's similar to something like a Springfield Loaded, but with an arched MSH and more traditional hammer profile.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

So what was the first autloading pistol to chamber the .45 ACP that wasn't a 1911 or a close copy of the 1911? Aside from the Luger test pistols and that Chinese Broomhandle that they only chambered in .45 because they wanted their pistols in the same caliber as their Thompson copies, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Quickshanks posted:

So what was the first autloading pistol to chamber the .45 ACP that wasn't a 1911 or a close copy of the 1911? Aside from the Luger test pistols and that Chinese Broomhandle that they only chambered in .45 because they wanted their pistols in the same caliber as their Thompson copies, of course.

It didn't get into production, but probably the Savage 1907 that was entered into US Army Trials.

«125 »