Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's a Series 80, manufactured in 1985, which I think makes it part of the original generation for that model. I could be wrong, though - I'm just getting in to the hobby and still have a lot to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tarlibone posted:

My wife saw that and almost cried. That's what she told me to post.

Your wife needs an account. She comes up more often in your shooting and reloading stories than some of your guns.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Ornamented Death posted:

It's a Series 80, manufactured in 1985, which I think makes it part of the original generation for that model. I could be wrong, though - I'm just getting in to the hobby and still have a lot to learn.

Huh! Didn't realize they kept marking Series 80s with the Mk IV branding. A 1980s Series 80 would be original altho I don't think they've ever re-released the 80 since there was so much backlash against them due to the firing pin block screwing up the trigger feel etc

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I took it to the range and put some rounds through it earlier today. It was the first time I've shot anything larger than .22LR, so the recoil surprised me at first (even more so once I brought out my .357 and it felt like a damned BB gun by comparison...), but it was a lot of fun. Now I just need to get the correct tool(s?) to adjust the rear sight since it's a dovetail.

ChuckDeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

"For god's sake, man! Can you hear that? I know it seems like crying, and you always have crying in your head, but can you hear that?"

There's a used Delta Elite at a store near me that appears to be a much more recent production with a tacky FDE ceracoat but a sub 1k price, is there anything to be aware as far as newer production Colts? Is it a full blown Remington situation, or just still a really good product?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your wife needs an account. She comes up more often in your shooting and reloading stories than some of your guns.

If only someone with a red star could gift an account to avoid giving money to a domestic abuser.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Is my IPSC double stack special allowed to come to the party?

I had to do a 14 hour road trip to pick it up yesterday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

krursk posted:

Is my IPSC double stack special allowed to come to the party?

I had to do a 14 hour road trip to pick it up yesterday.

Am I the only person seeing a tiny Death Star mag release?

I approve of Tiny Death Star mag release.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

drat, now I'll have to refer to the magazine as Alderann.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

krursk posted:

drat, now I'll have to refer to the magazine as Alderann.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If only someone with a red star could gift an account to avoid giving money to a domestic abuser.

For both this and any orbit situations like that that any other user might have, just PM me. Iíve been resolving these by having people throw :tenbux: at RAINN or ani they worthy charity and then working admin magic.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hopefully this is a 1911 I can use as a base gun for my forever pistol!

It's an older pre-"Loaded" model from SA in blued finish which they stopped making by the time they came up with the Loaded model. Made in Brazil in 2001, per the stamp under the right grip panel. I'm happy with the skeletonized hammer and trigger as well as the extended beavertail and front slide serrations. Would like to get a bit of a magwell on it, along with maybe some front strap serrations, some better sights, a match barrel and bushing and probably get rid of the full length guide rod eventually. Still - should make for a good base gun I hope!

https://imgur.com/a/8gknxEc

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Someone talk me out of spending more on a handgun that both of my ARs combined

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/edc-x9/

Early retirement gift to myself.

Are these what are known as 2011s?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

It's similar to 2011s in that it's doublestack, but it doesn't have the separate polymer grip section that was characteristic of the actual STI design. I'm not sure if '2011' has become a genericized term for doublestack 1911s.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

2011 is more of a make/model/brand than a style?

In any case, any reason I should NOT buy one of these?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

2011 is more of a make/model/brand than a style?

2011 was is a model of racegun double-stack 1911 made by STI. I don't know much about that particular gun, but Wilson Combat generally makes good stuff and now that Para is gone, it's them and STI in the upper-end doublestack 1911 space. If you really want one I can't think of a reason not to.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

I have one and like it quite a bit. There are a variety of combinations of backstrap and trigger length so it would be best to get one in your hands first to make sure you get it right, but that may be hard in the current marketplace. Itís a clever design and runs good, but the proprietary mags are kind of irritating because theyíre just a ppq with the mag catch notch cut at a different height but you have to pay Wilson prices for them. I had to clean up some barrel bump, which was surprisingly because itís a completely unmodified drop in barrel but otherwise I havenít had to do anything.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

If you can afford it and you want it, go hog wild, but in the $3,000 1911 bracket you're choosing between a lot of really good production guns and some actual custom guns.

What about it specifically appeals to you?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you can afford it and you want it, go hog wild, but in the $3,000 1911 bracket you're choosing between a lot of really good production guns and some actual custom guns.

What about it specifically appeals to you?

Mike Seeklander let me shoot his and it was very nice. The trigger only need a light breeze to fire and it felt real good in the hand.

I also don't have any 'nice' guns, just practical tools. 2 Glocks and 2 ARs. I have a Mossberg 590 mariner finish, and a 10/22.

Maybe I just want a compact, metal frame, hammer fired pistol. I could get an Ernie Langdon 92 for just about half the cost.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 8, 2020

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

Maybe I just want a compact, steel frame, hammer fired pistol. I could get an Ernie Langdon 92 for just about half the cost.
The EDC X9 frame is 7075 aluminum.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Ok, I fixed it.

A metal frame handgun.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

It definitely seems like a cool gun and I'd love to try shooting one some time but I do have to say it seems like a rich guys carry piece.

I'd be leery of actually carrying such a nice gun in case you ever had to surrender it for evidence or dropping it on the ground etc - to me that's definitely the role of a no nonsense duty gun, unless 3k is nbd to you ofc

For that money I'd want something custom built for me I think and it'd probably be a range gun for maximum shootability, or a really nice competition gun. Or something super old world craftsmanship with historical significance. But that's just me!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Mike Seeklander let me shoot his and it was very nice. The trigger only need a light breeze to fire and it felt real good in the hand.

I also don't have any 'nice' guns, just practical tools. 2 Glocks and 2 ARs. I have a Mossberg 590 mariner finish, and a 10/22.

Maybe I just want a compact, metal frame, hammer fired pistol. I could get an Ernie Langdon 92 for just about half the cost.
I'd try shooting another 1911 for comparison: any top shelf 1911 is going to have a great trigger and good ergonomics. Heck, my USGI 1911 checks those boxes, that's why the design is a a classic.

I'm going to agree with Greeb here: compact guns are meant for carry, and while I personally respect the decision to get the best carry piece you can and train hard with it, you seem more like you just want a really nice gun for the pleasure of owning it, rather than for a specific purpose. I fully support the decision to get an optioned out Langdon 92, but it's a different beast from the EDC X9.

I think you should decide what you want out of this gun. If it's just to own superb craftsmanship, $3,000 can get you a Smith & Wesson revolver from the era of hand finishing and incredible bluing, or Sig P210, or a 9mm 1911 from any number of top end shops.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Yea.

Good reality checks, mates.

Thanks!

A S&W model 19 from the era of hand finishing? I'd pay good money, but at the end of the day I'm more practical than anything. My boring old Glock 19 (and the 45 I got) serve all purposes I could ever need a handgun for: plinking, training, and self defense while carrying.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 8, 2020

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

S&W didn't really have model numbers at the height of their hand finishing.

It sounds like you're sorted in terms of practical guns. If I may offer a suggestion for fun guns, try looking into the deep end of target pistols. Untethered by things like "needing to be drop safe", Hšmmerli and FWB and Walther and their competitors make excellent guns.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

CZ Shadow II?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The Shadow II, while not at all a 1911, is a tremendous gun, great for USPSA Production or just for tootling around at the range.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

CZ Shadow II?
Again, I think you need to decide what you want out of a gun before we can advise you what gun to get. If you just want a $3,000 pistol, may I recommend a Registered Magnum or Pardini GT? The former will probably appreciate more if you decide to sell it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Shadow IIs are way less than 3k which is another mark in their favor

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes

lite_sleepr posted:

CZ Shadow II?

I want a shadow 2 even though I should probably just buy an SP-01. It's so sexy.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Finally, after 5 months of waiting;

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That looks great! Would love to see it with suppressor in tow

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

flightless greeb posted:

That looks great! Would love to see it with suppressor in tow

So would I... That's Jersey for you!

eig
Oct 16, 2008

No gun knowledge incoming so please forgive my ignorance!!

I inherited an antique 1911 from my grandfather last year. I'd like to sell it and get it out of our house but I have literally no idea where to start or feel confident enough to properly estimate its value. FWIW, I live in New Jersey.

Here are some photos of it. I think we also have an original leather holster, but I don't have a photo of that right now.

Bubonicator
Sep 29, 2011

eig posted:

I inherited an antique 1911 from my grandfather last year. I'd like to sell it and get it out of our house but I have literally no idea where to start or feel confident enough to properly estimate its value. FWIW, I live in New Jersey.

Here are some photos of it. I think we also have an original leather holster, but I don't have a photo of that right now.

Unnggh, do want.

Someone more familiar with pricing of non-A1s will prob be along shortly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

eig posted:

What makes you want it out of the house? We can accept not everyone being a gun person, but we also have a good record helping new folks learn the ropes.

Iím not taking guesses at the price, we have more qualified people for that. But itís one hell of an heirloom.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Not a gun person (or family.) I guess I can appreciate a well-made antique but I rather have the money for other things LOL Right now it's just hidden away, and it also was hidden away at my grandfathers... I didn't even know he had it, but my dad did and I found it stored in a box on a shelf. I think we have some bullets too?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The serial on the frame indicates a 1915 manufacturing date by colt, but judging by the patent stamps on the slide, the slide is of more recent manufacture. This is from all of ten seconds of google work so take it with a grain of salt.
E: nvm, slide says patent 1913, thought it said 1918 for a sec.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Whatever you do, don't take it to a pawn shop, that is worth a significant amount of money and they will rip you off. I don't know how that looks as far as finish condition but I don't see any rust so it seems like even hidden away it survived pretty well. If it has the holster too that probably ads to the collector's value. Milsurp thread would also be a good place to ask, that's where the collectors of vintage ones are.

A bunch of surplus 1911s started getting sold by a government-affiliated org last year so the prices aren't quite as high, but I would be surprised if it's not worth at least 1-2k.

E: If you have any family members that want that, ask them first. I own my grandfather's squirrel rifle and it's a very sentimental memento for me.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

eig posted:

1911 collecting can be a deep rabbit hole. From the pictures, that looks very like an all original Model of 1911 (pre-A1) from a military contract. Although there isn't much finish left, that gun is worth at least $1,000 possibly quite a bit more if you can demonstrate any provenance (like papers from the military giving it to your grandad) or prove it hasn't been refinished or had any parts replaced.