Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

eig posted:

No gun knowledge incoming so please forgive my ignorance!!

I inherited an antique 1911 from my grandfather last year. I'd like to sell it and get it out of our house but I have literally no idea where to start or feel confident enough to properly estimate its value. FWIW, I live in New Jersey.

Here are some photos of it. I think we also have an original leather holster, but I don't have a photo of that right now.

That is a beautiful and possibly quite valuable gun. Did your grandfather do time in WWII? If that was his service weapon that's cool as hell and I'd offer you a nice bit of cash for it right now. I am by no means a 1911 expert but the serial seems to point to a late 1915 Colt. You'd have to take it apart to see if the serials match, what the stamps are, etc. but if your story is true that's a nice gun with fantastic patina.

If you're dead-set on cashing it out it's definitely worth finding someone who can properly appraise it and refer you to the right auction house. Could be the difference between "grandpas $500 pistol" and "barn-find $2500 ardenne M1911".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I'll have to ask my dad if he knew where it came from, because it wasn't originally my grandpa's (he was born in the 30s and both my paternal great granddads were Jewish immigrants 🤔?? ) He probably collected it himself... but we don't have any papers for it. It was just wrapped up in a cloth in a box. He had a few other antique guns on display, rifles I think, which I need to get pics of for another thread I guess lol

So, I would like someone who'd appreciate it to have it. I know a pawn shop would be a waste! Not looking for an instant cash grab.

I can pick it up from my parents later to get more photos if yall want? If anyone is interested in helping 1on1, yall could hit me up on discord @ eig#3464.

edit: And if I should be should be posting in another thread, please direct me there! Never in my life would I think I'd be venturing in TFR 🥺

double edit : woops, got my discord number wrong - fixed if u wanna DM!!

eig fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 16, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey there, tried adding you on discord but it didn't work. Here's one that recently sold for $1675 with holster https://www.gunbroker.com/item/880869624 I think that one has been refinished as well and is from a more common year of production than yours, so yours may be worth slightly more. May take awhile to move tho since right now everyone wants glocks rather than collectibles.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: If you have any family members that want that, ask them first. I own my grandfather's squirrel rifle and it's a very sentimental memento for me.

Just wanted to amplify this point. One of our family guns is my great-uncle's 1911. He was apparently an egregious dumbass who had the entire pistol, including the sights, chromed. It rattles more than a can of spray paint and would need a comprehensive overhaul to have any use whatsoever. All of that notwithstanding, I have a cousin wants it and who is a little irked that it ended up with my dad and then me.

It sounds like maybe nobody else knew about the gun and so nobody could be attached to it, but I'd still give all your relatives first chance to buy it. You never know who's going to want that connection with your grandfather.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

It is 100% not a family heirloom, please do not be worried!! I spoke to my dad about it to confirm my suspicions. I think my dad is probably the only one left who knew it even existed in my grandparent's house when we were cleaning it out after they passed, not that they actually told him where it came from or when. (Also my dad is an only child and so am I, so it's really just us left for that side of the family! And neither of us want it in our possession.)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

I'm just getting back to building a 1911 from parts, and no matter what I do I can't get the sear pin past the sear when assembling. It just sits a tiny bit too high on the disconnector to allow the pin through. Is there some fitting required here, or is it possible that my trigger is sticking out too far?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Reynold posted:

I'm just getting back to building a 1911 from parts, and no matter what I do I can't get the sear pin past the sear when assembling. It just sits a tiny bit too high on the disconnector to allow the pin through. Is there some fitting required here, or is it possible that my trigger is sticking out too far?

The way I've always done it was to line up the sear pin to the sear first, then jiggle the disconnector until the pin dropped through the disconnector slot. If the hole in the sear doesn't line up with the slot in the disconnector when the parts are outside the gun, you might have a fitting issue.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

fatman1683 posted:

The way I've always done it was to line up the sear pin to the sear first, then jiggle the disconnector until the pin dropped through the disconnector slot. If the hole in the sear doesn't line up with the slot in the disconnector when the parts are outside the gun, you might have a fitting issue.

That was ridiculously easy, thanks!

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Operation "Fix up this junker Taurus PT1911" was a success, or at least it came out about as good as could be expected.

Kept the frame, slide, barrel, bushing, guide rod, safety, grip safety, and hammer. Put in all new springs, sear, disconnector, trigger, mainspring housing. Trigger pull is solidly meh, I'm sure I could clean it up with stoning the fitting points a little finer but I probably wont ever shoot this thing again, just wanted to get it back in "functional" condition.

Took all 3 of the 1911's down to the range since I needed to test the Taurus anyways.

Top to bottom, Springfield Loaded Match from 2007, Homebuild with mostly Wilson and Ed Brown parts built in late 2018, Taurus PT1911 from 2004-2005 with a long history.

8 rounds at 20 feet, not the best shooting on my part.

The superb trigger and nice tight handfit barrel and bushing on my homebuilt gun is noticeable, very accurate, very smooth shooting.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

I went by a couple of shops looking for a J-frame S&W and ended up with this. I know nothing about them other than the fact that on gunbroker they're going for $1k+ and this one was $525 out the door. Anybody have any experience, good or bad? Googling the serial puts it at about 1998 manufacture if that makes any difference

edit: It's the .45 version also

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 23, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I think they had one of those in the gun shipped I frequent. Or... maybe it was a Pocket 9? Must be a Pocket 9, because I wouldn't know that gun existed otherwise. Maybe they had one of these, too.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Opinions are all over the place in general on most any kind of subcompact 1911 variant, including from companies with much better reputations for quality control than 1990s Colt, but the Defender seems to be well enough liked by the folks who don't find out they got a lemon they have to send back.

I personally don't see much point to a subcompact 1911 intended for concealed carry because even if you get an especially reliable one, it will still always be some degree of less reliable than some plastic framed modern Glock or similar you could carry instead that is smaller, lighter, half the price, and that you can actually feel okay with staking your life on it working.

However, for 500 and change even with the pony on it, that was a good buy pretty much no matter what and if you don't end up loving it, you can easily get the same or more back out of it. Stuff with the pony on it tends to be pretty easy to sell, as you have already noticed on gb.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think I posted my Essex build:

I had a little run in the finish there towards the front of the slide to fix, but otherwise everything went together and functions well. I did not particularly care for building this gun, and I don't know that starting with all new parts instead of the beaten and bent junk that I was given with it would help. Still, I learned a few tricks along the way, and checked "Build a 1911" off the gunsmithing bucket list.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Reynold posted:

I don't think I posted my Essex build:

I had a little run in the finish there towards the front of the slide to fix, but otherwise everything went together and functions well. I did not particularly care for building this gun, and I don't know that starting with all new parts instead of the beaten and bent junk that I was given with it would help. Still, I learned a few tricks along the way, and checked "Build a 1911" off the gunsmithing bucket list.

Nice; building a 1911 is a pain in the butt. That looks pretty sharp.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Forum Hussy posted:

I went by a couple of shops looking for a J-frame S&W and ended up with this. I know nothing about them other than the fact that on gunbroker they're going for $1k+ and this one was $525 out the door. Anybody have any experience, good or bad? Googling the serial puts it at about 1998 manufacture if that makes any difference

edit: It's the .45 version also

Range Report:

I took this lil guy out this past weekend. Out of the box of 50 I shot I had one FTF on the third round of the first mag I put through it, otherwise it ran fine. It's easily controllable with the Hogue wraparounds as well. I threw it up on armslist almost as soon as I got it but I wont be upset if I have to keep it for a while.

I shot 45/50 at the X ring at between 7-10 yards, the last 5 rapid fire at the vitals box from 5 yards. Every handgun I shoot I push left no matter what I do to correct it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ww1-wwi-us-u-s-colt-45-auto-automatic-pistol-grips-hand-carved-mustang-horse-/363311522196

So the guy who won these the first time finally read the description and backed out so I got them for 60.

Now...anyone have any idea what they actually fit? I am thinking maybe one of those Llama 1911 copies?

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

I think I have narrowed it down to them almost definitely being for a Llama Model III, ie the .380 version with the inexplicable ventilated sight rib on top of the slide.

I actually think I might buy one just to put these on it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That's a neat little forgotten weapon, how much do they go for?

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Around 350 bucks so far as I can tell or about a 100 bucks or so more for a pristine one. One just sold on GB for 250, but it needed a new hammer.

Turns out I have a friend who has a friend who has one of these. He refuses to sell it to me due to sentimental value, but I am gonna try to get my friend to borrow it so I can see if they actually fit. If they do I might very well bid on this sucker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895843956

I have always wanted at least one Spanish made pistol in the collection. I was leaning toward Star, as I have said before -- either a Star PD (which isn't too special today but was for a brief while the subcompact 1911 before there were subcompact 1911s -- Jeff Cooper's favorite back up .45 apparently, though he called it a weapon to be carried often and shot very seldom) or a Firestar .45 (or possibly a Megastar if I found one for reasonable price in 10mm). An Astra 400 was also a possibility as it is basically for Spain what the Luger is for Germany.

But the Llama is a possibility too. As stupid as that ventilated top rib is on a pistol like a Llama, I somehow can't help but think it looks awesome. I would much rather have one in .38 ACP / Super if I were to pick a Llama but the .380 ones are kind of neat. Aside from the Remington 51 and maaaaybe the Savage 1907, the only .32 or .380s anyone made with a locked breech until recently were the Star and Llamas 1911 knockoffs that just happened to retain the Browning mechanism when shrunk down to pocket size. I can only assume, but it probably made them one of the smoothest shooting .380s to be had anywhere. (I think its a safe assumption because the SIG-Sauer P238 and Colt Mustang are two of the smoothest shooting .380s I ever shot, and they are basically just direct copies of the Star DK -- funny that Star blatantly copied Colt's 1911 design in the first place but then Colt couldn't come up with a miniaturized version of the same design without blatantly copying Star right back.)

It's dumb but I did some pisspoor photoshoppery to see if it seemed worth buying one just to make use of the grips and I gotta say...it didn't dissuade me at least.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm not a huge fan of Spanish guns or small 1911s but that looks pretty dang good I have to say!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The advent of 3D printing has finally allowed us to perfect Browning's design for the modern era:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Dead Reckoning posted:

The advent of 3D printing has finally allowed us to perfect Browning's design for the modern era:

For when you think, "Why isn't my gun's handle more like a pressure washer?"

I appreciate the pink though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate the pink though.

I never get tired of it myself.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I just had an epiphany: the internet is useless!

Ultra Carp

So for a first 1911 on the cheaper end of things: rail or no? It seems like the consensus is do what you like, but the only real utility is if you plan on using it as a home defense gun with a flashlight on it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I carry my Springfield Range Officer with my TLR-1 in my pocket. I use it when I walk the dog at night. My area has a large coyote/bear/wolf population and my dog is small. I use the torch to check woodlines when I hear stuff but keep the gun holstered as to not frighten anyone that might be around. If I feel the need to draw I'll clip the light to the bottom. It's nice to have a place to set it and focus on what I'm looking for.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001

The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Yams Fan

Weren’t the peak John Woo pistols all blank-converted .380 Llamas?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Remulak posted:

Weren’t the peak John Woo pistols all blank-converted .380 Llamas?

No? There was a decent variety of guns in all the John Woo movies I can remember.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

So for a first 1911 on the cheaper end of things: rail or no? It seems like the consensus is do what you like, but the only real utility is if you plan on using it as a home defense gun with a flashlight on it.

You can always get an aftermarket option for most 1911s that adds a rail. Looks kinda dorky, but gives you a rail! And it's not super expensive.

https://www.recovertactical.com/product-category/1911/

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Captain Log posted:

For when you think, "Why isn't my gun's handle more like a pressure washer?"

He gave in to market pressure and made it compatible with AR grips:
https://twitter.com/Ivan_Is_Back/status/1378134641643814914

tarlibone posted:

I never get tired of it myself.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

He gave in to market pressure and made it compatible with AR grips:
https://twitter.com/Ivan_Is_Back/status/1378134641643814914

He should put a little nub on the dust cover to allow Michael Mann-style press checks.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Even though I'm allergic to glocks and polymer handguns I wish foxtrot mike would release their 80% polymer 1911 they were showing under the liberty arms years ago at shot.

I want to build one of those things up.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Are .45 barrels generally thick enough to do a pin + weld? I might be moving to an area where threaded barrels aren't legal soon and I was wondering if i could just get the thread protector permanently affixed instead of getting a new barrel fitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Keep in mind that can make disassembling the firearm somewhat challenging, depending.