Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«125 »
Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Operating Rod posted:

Whatever Remington uses as a finish on those guns has me leery (what exactly is "oxide" finish?) but yours looks better than the Bruniton on my Beretta 92 does at a similar round count - do you shoot from a holster a lot?

I shoot from a holster about, rough guess here, 25% of the time. The finish has held up well other than the tiny bit of shiny wear at the front edge of the slide. The finish seems different on the slide vs the frame. Hard to put my finger on why though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

[quote="captaininsano" post="420915072"]
I posted this thing a couple years ago, but I think its too terrible to keep it hidden from the world forever.

So I have this thing, it looks like a 1911 except its not... its more like a pot steel piece of poo poo. it literally wasn't even even completely cast and has pitting and holes. holes which go completely through to the hammer strut. it rusted within hours when I was trying to clean it up after I found it rusting and completely apart in a coffee can in the back of a closet at my parents house.

My dad warmed me it was a lost cause, but I'm not one to give up, especially on terrible ideas, so I got creative. It got a custom refinish courtesy of a rattle can of flat black Hi-temp Engine paint. custom grips via some rosewood wood paneling samples from the late 70's. hand shaped on a belt sander in a vice and finished with 00 steel wool, a wet sand and some BLO, it then got super high end grip emblems courtesy of the tiny Cadillac crest on the back courtesy lights in the back deck area of 70's Cadillacs. It hasn't rusted again so far and the multiple coats of Engine paint and sanding filled all but the worst pitting and holes.

sure its a piece of poo poo, but other than occasional FTFs, jams and mild stove piping, it runs ok. Spring changes have helped as well as some smoothing on the slide rails. I still wouldn't pick it if my life depended on it, but its fun to take out and put lead into dirt berms and its a bit of a conversation piece at the range.

In your last picture, why does it look like the main spring is cast into the frame? It's that because of the paint?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Has anybody had the opportunity to use a Cimarron 1911? They're modeled after the 1911A1 (I think) and I have the opportunity to purchase one of their blued models. It's a gorgeous gun for a good price (like $75-100ish off MSRP), but I didn't see much talk about them in the old thread. I liked Cimarron's cowboy revolvers, I've owned one before and it worked fantastically, so I'm inclined to trust this one, but I haven't owned a 1911 before. I can't imagine it'd be any worse than a RIA one. Cimarron imports stuff from the Philippines, right?

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 25, 2013

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

As far as I know, Ruger doesn't do any goofy poo poo to their 1911s, so it should work. Quick Googling seems to confirm

captaininsano posted:

So I have this thing, it looks like a 1911 except its not...

I love everything about this gun.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.

captaininsano posted:

So I have this thing, it looks like a 1911 except its not...

I want those grips and I don't even own a 1911.

Also, Llama 1911's are the only 1911's that I've seen terrible gun owners in both meanings of the phrase make fun of.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Nap Ghost

areyoucontagious posted:

Has anybody had the opportunity to use a Cimarron 1911? They're modeled after the 1911A1 (I think) and I have the opportunity to purchase one of their blued models. It's a gorgeous gun for a good price (like $75-100ish off MSRP), but I didn't see much talk about them in the old thread. I liked Cimarron's cowboy revolvers, I've owned one before and it worked fantastically, so I'm inclined to trust this one, but I haven't owned a 1911 before. I can't imagine it'd be any worse than a RIA one. Cimarron imports stuff from the Philippines, right?

They are in fact made by Armscor in the Philippines (who also make RIA 1911s, I believe). Here's a pretty good review of them: http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...eo-2564774.html

dammit now I want one

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

captaininsano posted:

I posted this thing a couple years ago, but I think its too terrible to keep it hidden from the world forever.

So I have this thing, it looks like a 1911 except its not... its more like a pot steel piece of poo poo. it literally wasn't even even completely cast and has pitting and holes. holes which go completely through to the hammer strut. it rusted within hours when I was trying to clean it up after I found it rusting and completely apart in a coffee can in the back of a closet at my parents house.

My dad warmed me it was a lost cause, but I'm not one to give up, especially on terrible ideas, so I got creative. It got a custom refinish courtesy of a rattle can of flat black Hi-temp Engine paint. custom grips via some rosewood wood paneling samples from the late 70's. hand shaped on a belt sander in a vice and finished with 00 steel wool, a wet sand and some BLO, it then got super high end grip emblems courtesy of the tiny Cadillac crest on the back courtesy lights in the back deck area of 70's Cadillacs. It hasn't rusted again so far and the multiple coats of Engine paint and sanding filled all but the worst pitting and holes.

sure its a piece of poo poo, but other than occasional FTFs, jams and mild stove piping, it runs ok. Spring changes have helped as well as some smoothing on the slide rails. I still wouldn't pick it if my life depended on it, but its fun to take out and put lead into dirt berms and its a bit of a conversation piece at the range.

Appears to be a Llama Model IV or V, from what I can find quickly. What caliber is it?

Unique bits include the pivoting trigger (pin can be seen in the half-moon cuts), the integrated mainspring housing/backstrap (noted by Mr.Bob) and no grip safety, and this lovely detent spring assembly hidden by the grips:

If I'm reading this right, the "P" marking indicates civilian and not military. Who run Llama Town?

I suspect the rusting might be caused by total shite finish in the first place, or being stripped for refinishing (and then being forgotten/given up on).

I saved the pics of the Caddigrips way back when they were first posted, and trot them out occasion. Glad to know where I got them from, anyway.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

They are in fact made by Armscor in the Philippines (who also make RIA 1911s, I believe). Here's a pretty good review of them: http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...eo-2564774.html

dammit now I want one

Everything I can find has good things to say about them. Any goons got access to a unit for a trip report?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToEftxBOtfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH9G-Ngdu4o

ChorseStonkJames
Feb 22, 2013

I've owned one for almost two years now.

When it was new:

example of the polish:

Haven't taken it out in probably six months, but this is what it looks like now after a substantial amount of shooting and holster carry:

It's about the same level of quality of an RIA. I suspect you're paying the extra for the polish. The bluing isn't as nice as the older Colts but for a budget 1911 it's pretty impressive IMO, and I've been satisfied with it. It also comes with a replica polished/blued 7rd mag with a lanyard ring on the bottom, and a more modern 8rd polished/blued mag. They're made by ACT-MAG and even though they look gorgeous they're pretty crappy. The feed lips open up after far too few rounds in my opinion. The sights are standard GI sights that like all GI sights are utterly terrible. As a small side note, I love that they put their own spin on the classic Colt roll marks.

captaininsano
Sep 29, 2004
"If I where going to die, I'd be dead already"

Ygolonac posted:

Appears to be a Llama Model IV or V, from what I can find quickly. What caliber is it?

Unique bits include the pivoting trigger (pin can be seen in the half-moon cuts), the integrated mainspring housing/backstrap (noted by Mr.Bob) and no grip safety, and this lovely detent spring assembly hidden by the grips:

If I'm reading this right, the "P" marking indicates civilian and not military. Who run Llama Town?

I suspect the rusting might be caused by total shite finish in the first place, or being stripped for refinishing (and then being forgotten/given up on).

I saved the pics of the Caddigrips way back when they were first posted, and trot them out occasion. Glad to know where I got them from, anyway.

It's a "LLAMA" ESPECIAL in .45ACP I have a few of various Star 1911 clones in various calibers, if the ordinance/proof marks use the same marking system, which I think it does. It was a Spanish government thing, as after 1923 all domestic Spanish guns had to be proofed in a state proof house. As this gun was from Eibar, it was likely the Eibar proof house. A "P" in a flaming bomb/grenade indicates passing proof for semi auto pistols. Where as the "X" in a crest with a knights helm on top indicated entering the proof house regardless of type or acceptance. This accompanies a year code, either a single letter character or later a single letter and a number to indicate the year number is being reused, Such as an "A" mark indicated 1927, A1 1955 and A2 1981. In this case it's an "R" meaning 1947. The absence of an additional "I" flaming bomb military acceptance proof means it was not a military gun, At least not a regular arsenal issued sidearm.

Your correct, it has an integrated mainspring housing with no grip safety, I'm sure that was designed for simplicity and ease of manufacturing to reduce cost. Not to mention if it had it, it would be broken already.

It does have the funny detent spring, but mine is a bit different and it lost the slide release leg long ago.

Mine has what I refer to as the stereotypical Asian octopus detent:
(please forgive crappy cellphone pic.)

captaininsano fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 27, 2013

Turok
Jan 21, 2009

Just bought a Colt 1911 XSR out here in Marin County, California! (WOOT)

Cost me $1200.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

Hope is a mistake

Does anyone know where I can get some 1911 grips like the kind Stallone had on his Kimbers in Expendables?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Firstborn posted:

Does anyone know where I can get some 1911 grips like the kind Stallone had on his Kimbers in Expendables?

Something like Alumagrips, maybe?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

Hope is a mistake

Those do look nice. Thanks for the input.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Brother-in-law wants to change out his sights on a Springfield Range Officer. Apparently, it's an LPA style cut. What are his options?

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

Any Ruger Commander or should I say CMD owners with thoughts on the gun? I'm looking for a 1911 carry option.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

gfanikf posted:

Any Ruger Commander or should I say CMD owners with thoughts on the gun? I'm looking for a 1911 carry option.

Do you want a 1911 as a carry option for a special reason? I mean, there isn't any NEED for a reason for your choice of carry gun at all, your preference is your preference*; but is your comfort/love for the 1911 the reason for buying one for carry, or are you just carrying something else and want to switch?

I have spoken to 4 different gun shop owners, and every single one has said to me, "Great gun for the money, solid 1911." The shop I was in tonight actually just sold their last one just recently. I was checking out what they had leftover in-stock on display and the Colt Commander NRM was just beautiful. I really wish I could have seen the SR1911 in person though.

I wasn't there for a 1911 this month, but if I was, I may have walked out with an order for the Ruger; just out of reviews of owners here, youtube, and word of mouth. For $650ish+tax its alot of gun, at-least for me. .45ACP ammo was really low on the shelf, and priced around $22 a box for 50 rounds, here in Northern New Jersey. I was able to get 100 round boxes of .40 for $40 each, so I was pretty satisfied.

Hey, 1911 carrying goons: Why do YOU carry a 1911 over something else? When I hold all these other model of guns that are available, I don't know how comfortable I would be with carrying a 1911. I can't even stand having the extra bulk or weight of too much change in my pocket; Or a full stainless zippo. With the right holster, it could be no problem, right? Maybe I'm just a fickle bitch? Maybe.

* Just like to know the positive reasons for carrying a 1911, over the negative for some people; other than the stereotypical "It's so heavy," or "Stop being a bitch," poo poo you see on other forums. On a sidenote, I bought a Glock compact today, but thats ok, right guys

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

gfanikf posted:

I believe Uncle Caveman has a Ruger "Commander".

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

kill your idols posted:

Hey, 1911 carrying goons: Why do YOU carry a 1911 over something else?

Because I can shoot it better than my previous carry gun.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

kill your idols posted:

Hey, 1911 carrying goons: Why do YOU carry a 1911 over something else?

devmd01 posted:

Because I can shoot it better than my previous carry gun.

Yep, pretty much this. It's the gun I learned to shoot with, I've got a few thousand more rounds through it than any other pistol I own, I feel I can shoot it well, and I have a good holster that makes carrying it easy (Galco V-Hawk).

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

I carry a 1911 for a few reasons:

1. It's very thin and carries easily
2. It doesn't have to be heavy. My aluminum frame CCO weighs like 25 ounces unloaded.
3. It's size is pretty decent when in a CCO config. It's not short due to beaver tail extension - but the extra inch or so length is easy to carry. For me, width is important.
4. It's got the greatest trigger in pistols. Your first shot with a 1911 trigger has the greatest opportunity to be a good shot. I shoot well with it and know that, under stress, a 1911 trigger is easier to shoot accurately than any other.
5. 45 ACP and 'Murica (not a big deal).

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Outside Dawg posted:

I believe Uncle Caveman has a Ruger "Commander".
Yup, there's a photo posted on the first page.

I haven't carried it yet, but I plan to in the future (not really a high priority for me right now). It's my first 1911 (bought earlier this summer) and I am extremely happy with it. It's been 100% reliable with factory mags which around here are inexpensive and plentiful.

I chose the CMD over fullsize as I wanted something more compact for carry that would also be really enjoyable on the range. Size-wise it feels very close overall to a Glock 19 in height & length (though a bit thinner of course), so it's not really a dramatic leap from what I've carried before. I do find the ergonomics and the way it sits in the hand to be "just right" - even, at the risk of heresy, more so than my beloved Hi-Power.

ChorseStonkJames
Feb 22, 2013

I carry them because I feel more familiar with them than anything else. I can fire my Walther (PPK/S, light weather carry) accurately faster, but the controls are harder to manipulate due to the small size of the gun. I don't have small hands, and a 1911 feels like it was made specifically for me. They just drop into my hand and I can hit a target just by pointing at it with one.

I like these Alumagrips... now I can't decide between them or VZGrips for my stainless Commander build.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

Putting the ass in class baby

Just slapped some on my Ed Brown. Like 'em.

MazelTovCocktail
Jun 23, 2012

Gritty's gonna cut you.

So how hard is it to install an ambi safety on a Ruger SR1911? I love the gun, but I want the ambi safety. Everything mentions (and even Ruger's page for their own one) that it may need some slight fitting. I'm just wondering, will I need a gunsmith? Since if I do it will increase the cost of the upgrades.

Also for Ruger SR1911 owners what are the cheapest mags that work well in it (since Rugar branded mags aren't that cheap)? Do I just get Wilson Combat Mags or Chip Mag? Are those super cheap Sarco mags any good (for range use only, not for carry)? Finally is there any lead on genuine USGI mags? I know a ton of cheap knockoff ones float around.

Also thanks for Beetle mentioning that Poyer 1911 book, I got it yesterday and it's great!

right arm
Oct 29, 2011

just bought a 1975 colt MkIV series 70 1911 for $650 in a pawn shop in my hometown

it's in pretty good condition. collet bushing looks like it's in good shape, and the only non-original part on it seems to be the trigger, but I don't know for sure

pretty cool comparing it to my 1991

hangedman
Dec 20, 2003

Fish out of water

gfanikf posted:

So how hard is it to install an ambi safety on a Ruger SR1911? I love the gun, but I want the ambi safety. Everything mentions (and even Ruger's page for their own one) that it may need some slight fitting. I'm just wondering, will I need a gunsmith? Since if I do it will increase the cost of the upgrades.

Also for Ruger SR1911 owners what are the cheapest mags that work well in it (since Rugar branded mags aren't that cheap)? Do I just get Wilson Combat Mags or Chip Mag? Are those super cheap Sarco mags any good (for range use only, not for carry)? Finally is there any lead on genuine USGI mags? I know a ton of cheap knockoff ones float around.

Also thanks for Beetle mentioning that Poyer 1911 book, I got it yesterday and it's great!

I'm not the world's biggest authority on 1911s and haven't subjected these to any torture tests, but I've been really happy with the Chip McCormick 8 round shooting star magazines. When I got mine, it was less than $20 and in a Springfield Mil-Spec has fed any profile of bullet I can stuff in there, including the crayola-shaped 200 grain semi-wadcutters.

If you plan on defending your life with the gun and want something that can stand up to the horrors of war, the recommendations from Hilton Yam are options that could probably be considered among "the best."

http://www.10-8performance.com/page...-Magazines.html

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

gfanikf posted:

On the ambi safety, I haven't looked into as of yet for mine, however the SR1911 appears for all intent and purposes to be a traditional 1911 (internal extractor and all), so I would not imagine it would be any different than installing one on a Colt 1911.
On the magazine question, I have 3 mags, the 2 Ruger mags that came with it and a Kimber 7 rounder that I purchased. The Kimber mag has functioned well thus far and was a little less tan half the price of the Wilson Combats at the same brick and mortar store. I'll probably be for ordering a couple of checkmates on pay day (the ones with the hybrid lips that Fang recommended) which are still half the price of the Wilson or the Ruger mags.

Vorlonesque
Sep 17, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

hangedman posted:

I'm not the world's biggest authority on 1911s and haven't subjected these to any torture tests, but I've been really happy with the Chip McCormick 8 round shooting star magazines. When I got mine, it was less than $20 and in a Springfield Mil-Spec has fed any profile of bullet I can stuff in there, including the crayola-shaped 200 grain semi-wadcutters.

If you plan on defending your life with the gun and want something that can stand up to the horrors of war, the recommendations from Hilton Yam are options that could probably be considered among "the best."

http://www.10-8performance.com/page...-Magazines.html

I use Chip McCormick 8 round shooting star mags in my RIA and they seem to do just fine (the Wilson mag refused to stay in the RIA...but I pin that on things probably being slightly out of spec on the RIA...the Wilson works just fine in my Colt 1991A1 along with every other mag). Most JHPs that seem to work well with the RIA seem to work best out of those mags so I've bought a few for it and they are what I use now when I shoot it.

Edit: the shooting star mag is the one with the base plate welded to the mag (i.e. the mag body is one part so the thing in whole is a follower, spring, and mag-body), right?

Vorlonesque fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2013

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

I put 50 trouble free rounds thru my RIA today bringin it to just about 1500 rounds with only a few mag related stoppages. Not a ringing endorsement (my g19 is pushing 9k and my g17 5k) but for a 400 dollar 1911 it's holding together. The finish still sucks.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I put 50 trouble free rounds thru my RIA today bringin it to just about 1500 rounds with only a few mag related stoppages. Not a ringing endorsement (my g19 is pushing 9k and my g17 5k) but for a 400 dollar 1911 it's holding together. The finish still sucks.

One of my shooting buddies has an RIA and he loves it. He's putting new sites and an ambi safety and poo poo on it, and will probably get a trigger job. I didn't mock him because, frankly, the gun runs well so whatever. He's got a gun he trusts and it's 100%.

He and I took the Hackathorn class together (though he bitched out and ran his glock) and later this month we're going to an advanced class with Larry Vickers. I want him to run the RIA

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Juice posted:

One of my shooting buddies has an RIA and he loves it. He's putting new sites and an ambi safety and poo poo on it, and will probably get a trigger job. I didn't mock him because, frankly, the gun runs well so whatever. He's got a gun he trusts and it's 100%.

He and I took the Hackathorn class together (though he bitched out and ran his glock) and later this month we're going to an advanced class with Larry Vickers. I want him to run the RIA

If I had the money time and inclination I'd try that with a back up of course. There is nothing about the way the gun shoots that handicaps me at all outside the lack of tritium sights. It's certainly mechanically accurate enough and has fed a solid variety of ammo to boot. I'm not convinced that I'm a good enough shot that my performance would be hampered much over another 1911. As long as it keeps working the way it has that is ...

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Shoot off the finish then Cerakote the poo poo out of it.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

thermobollocks posted:

Shoot off the finish then Cerakote the poo poo out of it.

I've been meaning to get it refinished for a while. It's a fun beater pistol.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

SR1911 at Gander Mountain, $799.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I don't know if it was mentioned in the previous thread, but my FB feed alerted me of this:

Magpul 1911 grips. priced for <$20.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Updated: 11/05/13.

Added some links to some sales in the OP for the recommended items.

Also this: http://www.slickguns.com/product/ar...5-prkd-fc-40903 http://centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911.aspx

Thanks NJ and your one handgun a month limit.

Oh, and Custom 1911's with tonedef131 and Schroeder-Bauman.

kill your idols fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 5, 2013

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

I'd buy some

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Android Bicyclist posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned in the previous thread, but my FB feed alerted me of this:

Magpul 1911 grips. priced for <$20.

I'm concerned that it won't let you access the mag release easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

devmd01 posted:

SR1911 at Gander Mountain, $799.

SR1911 at a local hole in the wall shop $599. He also had the commander model. It was really hard to fight the urge to put it on my card.

«125 »